Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What Would You Do?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 896

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread entitled "What would you do" that centers on a difficult golf situation asking essentially how you would handle it. If this is a hit I could almost imagine more to come in similar fashion to the "Caption This" threads we have all come to know and love.

So...

Case number 1:

You are playing along quite nicely at a great pace on track to finish in under 4 hours when you come upon a foursome that, for some unknown reason, seems to have slowed down. It isn't long before it becomes obvious why they are falling behind. One of their group is chatting on his cell phone and pacing back and forth instead of either picking up or playing. After about 3 to 5 minutes he finally hangs up and plays his ball. Their group has clearly fallen behind the one in front of them.

His group finishes the hole and moves to the next tee, a par three. When you finish the hole you and your pards go on up to the tee area only to find their group still sitting there, hole wide open, and you-know-who on his phone again.

What would you do?

(Note that this is an actual situation that happened to me and my buddies recently and I will be looking forward to seeing if how we handled it compares to what is suggested here)

TM Jetspeed w/ Prolaunch Platinum 60 XS
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I would ask them if we could play through.  They probably would let you, if not, unless they are idiots
(a distinct possibility) they probably get the hint and play faster.

If all this fails I have no other choice than to kill them and bury their bodies in a bunker or weigh
them down and throw them in a water hazard.

#3 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'd ask to play thru. If no, I'd get in my cart and go to the next hole. Screw em if they start crying..

#4 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Like the others I would ask to play through.
If they said no, I would have to reiterate pace of play and explain proper etiquette...in my most congenial tone, of course.
Never had a problem playing through a group of "golfers". Have had a few few issues playing through a group of "people golfing".
-D

#5 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I don't have much patience with folks who talk on their cell phones while playing golf.  If it's obvious our group is being held up because of a person on their cell phone, believe me, "someone" in our group will find a way to ask that person if they're going to play golf or talk on their phone, & be reminded that they cannot do both.  We're usually encouraged to play on through.  :-)

#6 mizman87

mizman87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198692
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

snatch you-know-who's phone out of his grasp, tee it up and feed the big dog whilst he stands there and watches

#7 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2423

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I would take the air horn out of my bag and blow it in cell phone boys backswing until they let us play though.

Have done it a few times already.

Edited by MonteScheinblum, 26 February 2013 - 11:47 PM.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#8 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'd politely inform them that my group is playing through and to take caution so as not to get in the way of us as we do.  Has happened to me in the past more than once.  Rather than asking just letting them know in the nicest way possible they are idiots and we are going through has always worked.  Something to the effect of "Hey guys, we are playing through while your buddy finishes his call, thanks for understanding but just watch out as we'll be hitting in to you now!"
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#9 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

I would ask to play through, and assume that the request would be granted.

#10 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Recognizing that I share the world with other people I would take their slow play with good grace and play a bit slower myself.  Any kind of confrontation over a matter so trivial seems unwarranted to me.

Steve

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postjuststeve, on 27 February 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Recognizing that I share the world with other people I would take their slow play with good grace and play a bit slower myself.  Any kind of confrontation over a matter so trivial seems unwarranted to me.

Steve

There comes a point where being kind to the degree of being taken advantage of and walked-all-over is crossed.  If those in question are not considerate enough to either get the guy off the phone or let your group through on their own prerogative after allowing an entire hole to open up it is time to bring to their attention the fact that they are a bunch of jerko**s.  Plain and simple.  Your whole 'sharing the world with others' can go both ways you know.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#12 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

MS22:

Yours is the point of view of the road rager.  In the first place, the person on the phone isn't taking advantage of you or walking over you.  He doesn't even know you exist.  Its not personal.  You can be held up on the course and still be a man.

Second, I would hope sharing the world would go both ways, but it won't unless is starts with someone.  That could be you but won't be if your so keen to confront those you think are jerkos.  After all, its just a round of golf. not a steel cage death match with every inconsiderate person on the course.

Just another point of view.

Steve

#13 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Just a little more info...

So when we get to the tee we are greeted by his pards who basically apologize and are ready/willing to allow us to go through. We are grabbing our irons and heading for the tee when he hangs up and says "Wait, what's going on here?"

One of his pards says "We are gonna let them go through" to which he replies "Don't think so. They are no faster than we are. Sorry fellas, but no dice." (these are almost verbatim quotes by the way)

Stunned we stood next to the tee as he walks up, tees his ball up, and proceeds with his routine. I speak out and say something to the effect of "Your pards said we could go through since you keep getting phone calls." To this he replies "It was the last one. Now I am teeing off."

Change anything for you? See how complicated this was getting. In the end one of his pards fixed the situation appropriately but this easily could have escalated. Takes all kinds doesn't it?
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

#14 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostMedic, on 27 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Takes all kinds doesn't it?

Yup...hopefully that was your last encounter with that guy.

#15 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

I would probably just wait and play slower until the ranger past by and ask him to speed the group up. He gets paid for that kind of thing . I dont. I paid to play golf, not get involved in a knock down drag out situation. I believe you should not start something your not prepared to take all the way to the finish. With the crazy people in the world today you have to be careful. I'd hate for my wife to hear I got killed on the golf course by some crazy man with a gun. The guy on the phone could be talking to his drug dealer for all I know. No thanks, I'll just wait this one out.

Edited by butch33611, 28 February 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#16 poizster

poizster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132044
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

If people are playing slow in front of me and a group isn't behind me I'll use the extra time to practice. When a group is behind me and waiting I'd ask to play through.

#17 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

The end result was a positive one.

The guy's pard spoke up and said that we were playing through. The phone caller proceeded with hitting his shot and then all three of his pards stood waiting for us to hit. After we all hit (all four onto the green too by the way - a rarity), we thanked them, and he got another call. Perfect timing. We just drove on up to our balls and finished the hole.

We saw them again at the 19th; we were in there eating and their group came in. Three of them were chatting. One man (guess who) was clearly odd man out. One of them walked closely enough to our table I once again said "Thanks again" and he smiled. And he said something really funny to the effect of "We will be looking for another fourth. We can't take Dr. Beeper anymore."

As I said it takes all kinds. I completely understand having to take the phone with you. As I have said many times before I am a supporter of the idea of people having phones with them on the course - in case they encounter a problem. (cannot count the number of times I have responded to a medical emergency that occurred deep into the course where time was of the essence and the caller used a cell phone to get us on the way) But this guy was out of hand. Thankfully his pards were cordial and did the right thing.
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

#18 Animal Chin

Animal Chin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101025
  • Ebay ID:juleswinnfield0
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I would've said, "thanks, fellas" and teed up no matter if they were letting us go through or not.

#19 rekalj

rekalj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194518
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Good resolution to the story.  Not knowing the result, I would have asked if we could play through.  If the request would have been declined, I probably would have done something passive aggressive like have one of them turn their phone on and I would call it as they were hitting.

#20 PooN

PooN

poor little ball...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125767
  • Ebay ID:hydrogenalized
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

In more of a tell-you-rather-than-ask-you type tone, I would say "mind if we play through while your buddy is on the phone?"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 callmehandsum

callmehandsum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194950
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm more of a mellow fellow. I would have asked if we could play through. I've never had a group tell us no, but if they did and I was already frustrated from waiting, I would play through anyways with or without their consent.

#22 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

This topic probably needs to be moved to rules and etiquette. :stop: As for cell phones on the golf course - they don't belong.

#23 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Id have simply skipped that hole...people get the hint when you do that.  If they have a problem I get out my phone in between shots and call the clubhouse and tell the dir of golf whats up and ask that he do his job.
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#24 Animal Chin

Animal Chin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101025
  • Ebay ID:juleswinnfield0
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postsblack5, on 03 March 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

If they have a problem I get out my phone in between shots and call the clubhouse and tell the dir of golf whats up and ask that he do his job.

Fill out some paperwork?

#25 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 03 March 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

This topic probably needs to be moved to rules and etiquette. :stop: As for cell phones on the golf course - they don't belong.

Nooooooooo, Jas. The Rules folder is already jammed up with the John Wayne types dying to pull a gun on anyone they don't agree with on the golf course. :swoon:

Fast Neat Average Friendly Good Good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors