Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mild Rant, listen up golf course and shop employees that complain about pay

32 replies to this topic

#1 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137979
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I could go on for a long time on this but I'll make it short...Have been to 5 golf shops in the last week looking for info, pricing and an order on something specific and the OEM will only sell directly to green grass or retail.  I gave them the rep and the phone # and the product #, nothing for over a week.  4 different employees said they would handle the order and call me with pricing and nothing, nada zilch.  Freakin ridiculous, if all you are is a counter jockey, don't ever wonder why you are underpaid.  I can say that because I was in the business for 7 years, you don't deserve more than $8-10/hour if all you do is take green fees, and fail to do what you say you'll do.

If I had someone come to me to buy my product and I decided not to sell to them, I would get fired.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

The boss needs to know they have employee's falling down on the job. Because if I found out one of my employee's was being a lazy good for nothing they'd become an unemployed lazy good for nothing. Or I'd make their job so unpleasant they'd quit.
Was it in the movie Walking Tall where the fellow's new office was in the restroom?
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#3 practicetee

practicetee

In the Galaxy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27080
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

So you are asking them to open an account with a company to order something with you or do they have an already existing account with said company?
Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

#4 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

4 had the account, 1 did not.  1 of the 4 did not know the rep so said he would check around, 3 just said I can call them and will call you.  I talked to two of them and they said they have not had time to call yet, this is the most common response I've found over the years, that and the ever so prevalent "the rep hasn't called me back", which can be very legit, but this is what's so wrong about the business at times.  This is not a very strange item and one guy even said he knows the rep and will call me back the next day, now he's nowhere to be found, i hope nothing has happened to him, but doubtful he's been at work the last few days.  For the record Friday and Monday were cold and windy, yesterday unplayable kind of windy, so it's not like there hasn't been 2-3 minutes in the day.

I have a feeling I know where you are headed with your question and that is one of the questions I ask, do you have an account with " x equipment"?

#5 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1961

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

What club or clubs are you looking for exactly?

#6 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 26 February 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

a fujikura shaft, speeder vc 7.2 s, or speeder 757 (unlikely since it is no longer made, but the vc fits the same profile after speeking with the fuji rep).  Next up is to call one of his online accounts and have it shipped, but waiting on him to email me that now.  Posted in WTB as well.

Edited by edub72, 26 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#7 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View Postedub72, on 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

a fujikura shaft, speeder vc 7.2 s, or speeder 757 (unlikely since it is no longer made, but the vc fits the same profile after speeking with the fuji rep).  Next up is to call one of his online accounts and have it shipped, but waiting on him to email me that now.  Posted in WTB as well.

Not that I don't understand your frustration, but I could see how you might have trouble finding someone to take care of this. It's a little more obscure than finding out what a set of ap2's with project x's is gonna run ya.

In any case good luck!

#8 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 26 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

View Postedub72, on 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Not that I don't understand your frustration, but I could see how you might have trouble finding someone to take care of this. It's a little more obscure than finding out what a set of ap2's with project x's is gonna run ya.

In any case good luck!

Right, I know I these guys are underpaid and work long hours and can't play that much but I'm the type that would rather have a "no I can't get that for you" rather than a maybe or excuses.  I wish my home course had the account, but no.

#9 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I hear ya, good luck, hopefully it works out.

#10 npham

npham

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207159
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Save yourself the hassle and just eBay it.

Titleist 913 D2 AD DI 7X tipped 1"
Titleist 913 FD D+ X Flex
Titleist 913 HD D+ X Flex
Mizuno MP-53 PW-4i KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Napa ACVII
Titleist SM4 52/56/60 KBS Wedge Shafts S

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 346

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

View Postnpham, on 26 February 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Save yourself the hassle and just eBay it.

+ 1. If it aint on ebay, it aint around. First place I go. Most of the time you get free shipping with a good price on the item in question.

#12 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Feel your pain OP.
Cut in a roof today with a guy that was getting paid far too much...( builders guy not mine) felt like he should of been paying me.
Cant abide people who cant do their job, and when left to their own devices suck managements profit.

throw up a WTB ad.
-D

#13 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 450

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

http://thepeoplesclu.../weekly-sale-2/

Any Motore Speeder VC, any weight, any flex, $275.

He also has the 757 Tour Spec, but don't see a current listing for them.

#14 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

always more to the story - but your frustration is at the root of many successful (INTERNET) businesses.

any idea what Amazon does annually?

why put yourself through the trouble of calling 4 people?
Tour Preferred MB 3-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* Aerotech i110 & RAC TP 58*
UDI 16* Aerotech i110
Idea Pro 18* GAT 95
SLDR 430 12* - Speeder TS 7.3 TP
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

#15 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Posttmfool, on 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

always more to the story - but your frustration is at the root of many successful (INTERNET) businesses.

any idea what Amazon does annually?

why put yourself through the trouble of calling 4 people?

I know.  I try to stay local and do business with the green grass shops, and then this is what happens

#16 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 26 February 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

http://thepeoplesclu.../weekly-sale-2/

Any Motore Speeder VC, any weight, any flex, $275.

He also has the 757 Tour Spec, but don't see a current listing for them.

Thanks, I must not be good at reading his website I didn't see the 757s I'll take a look

#17 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 450

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

This is from an update on 6/28/12, he may be out of them by now, as they are not listed in his current list, or that could be an oversight, email Will:

Posted Image

Edited by SHIVAN, 26 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#18 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 26 February 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

This is from an update on 6/28/12, he may be out of them by now, as they are not listed in his current list, or that could be an oversight, email Will:

Posted Image

Pretty maids in a row

#19 willpeoples

willpeoples

THE WILL PEOPLES!

• Sponsors
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53003
  • Ebay ID:The_Tour_Van
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I do have one speeder 757 left.  I also have the Speeder VC 7.2.  If you are interested in either please shoot me an email, peoplesclubs@gmail.com, thanks for the recommendation Ed.

#20 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postwillpeoples, on 26 February 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

I do have one speeder 757 left.  I also have the Speeder VC 7.2.  If you are interested in either please shoot me an email, peoplesclubs@gmail.com, thanks for the recommendation Ed.

Sent

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 kal32473

kal32473

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43402
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Having spent 10 years in the golf industry, I can say with all certainty that there are some equipment reps out there who, no matter how many times I called them, simply would never call back.  Without knowing the other side of the story, I'm inclined to say that if 4 different stores haven't called you back and they were all supossed to get in touch with the same rep, that it's probably on the rep and not the stores themselves.  And I would think that someone who has spent time in the industry the you say you have would be a little more sensitive than to use terms like "counter jockey".  I got out of the business 6 years ago and I would never look down on those who hold the positions that I used to the way you seemingly do.

Edited by kal32473, 27 February 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#22 apprenti23

apprenti23

Major Winner

• 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40702
  • Ebay ID:tourpro15
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Ultimately they're at the mercy of the reps- my golf shop is no longer carrying TMAG for this same reason. This season If someone wants something TMAG we have to special order and do it online. Sometimes that rep would take forever to call back and sometimes never would. S we said f it and didn't book any product. I'd love to see how he explained that one!

#23 MizunoMan37

MizunoMan37

Just tap it in...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226129
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Even if the shop can't get in touch with the rep...it would still be nice for the OP to get a call back from the shop and say, "Hey, I've called and left him a couple messages, but haven't been able to get in touch with him. I'll keep trying him and will keep you updated."

How hard would that be so at least the OP knows the shop is working on it?

#24 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postkal32473, on 27 February 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Having spent 10 years in the golf industry, I can say with all certainty that there are some equipment reps out there who, no matter how many times I called them, simply would never call back.  Without knowing the other side of the story, I'm inclined to say that if 4 different stores haven't called you back and they were all supossed to get in touch with the same rep, that it's probably on the rep and not the stores themselves.  And I would think that someone who has spent time in the industry the you say you have would be a little more sensitive than to use terms like "counter jockey".  I got out of the business 6 years ago and I would never look down on those who hold the positions that I used to the way you seemingly do.

Maybe you're more sensitive to others than I am, I look at it as I was a counter jockey for the first couple of years in the business so I can say that, may be wrong.  As a counter jockey I worked my a@# off to learn everything I could about inventory, sales reps, equipment, teaching and customer service.  When someone called the shop I picked the phone up within 2 rings, we had to, If I didn't know the answer to that persons question I put them on hold and got it from my pro, if he didn't know I called the company in question.  I saw first hand as a counter jockey that most head pros and other assistants thru phone messages and orders away at the end of each day.   I hit my commissions on 70% cost of good sold for 4 years straight and made a good deal of money by seeking out tournaments and bringing them in, as a counter jockey.  I did this by listening to members and guests and then doing what I said I would do.  Some of my favorite members would walk in and ask me when I would graduate from counter jockey to pro, i joked and said they can't afford to move up their best salesman.  I started at a new club in 1997 and on the first day had to deal with 3 members in which the outgoing assistant just didn't place orders.  There is a real problem in golf with bitterness towards the low pay and the "good ole boy network of reps" and corporate management beating down the golf course employees.  I don't look down on anyone for any position they hold, but if all you do is the minimum (in this scenario, clock in and take green fees, don't call yourself a professional).  I have a great deal of respect for today's pros that are making it in spite of the business, but the ones that are just there for free golf and don't really care to do anything are making worse for pros of the future, pay will never increase and the position will never get any better if they don't show they are worth more.

I had a HP in 1995 that had an assistant pro come to him for a raise in and his response was spot on, Employee said I've been here working the counter for 4 years and have only gotten one raise.  The pro responded with, I look at it as you've been here for 4 years and I haven't had to fire you.  You don't take care of the shop, you haven't learned how to teach, you haven't passed your PAT in 5 attempts and one of the members wants his 18 year old daughter to work part time in the shop.  I can pay her minimum wage to take green fees and she's alot more polite than you, so what is your request for a raise based on.

Please don't question my respect and love for the business of golf, as a matter of fact I'm currently working on some things with the pros at my course that will help improve their situation and create a business model that would help PGA Pros and Apprentices make more money and adapt to the current times.  But yes there are counter jockeys and if you can deny that then YMMV.  Sorry if this rude but it's a personal subject for me because I do more for some of our clubs members than the pros on a volunteer basis.  I'd love to still be in the golf business but made some decisions 14 years ago and simply can't afford to at this time, got used to making more money.

#25 pr123

pr123

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128243
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Wow dude you are sour, but then again I guess you warned us

910D3
SLDR 15*
Raylor 19*
AP2 712 4-P
Edel
Edel 51,55,59

#26 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

hate to take it there - but

i think we may have gained some insight as to why 5 people didnt call you back
Tour Preferred MB 3-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* Aerotech i110 & RAC TP 58*
UDI 16* Aerotech i110
Idea Pro 18* GAT 95
SLDR 430 12* - Speeder TS 7.3 TP
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

#27 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Posttmfool, on 27 February 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

hate to take it there - but

i think we may have gained some insight as to why 5 people didnt call you back

Bingo !!!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callawy Apex pro  5 thru PW  Irons
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*and 56* degree Wedge

#28 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm with the OP again.
You have to appreciate somebody that goes above and beyond in their job. ( I'm referencing the OP"s long post)
After all the world has enough slack jawed idiots taking up time, profit, and probably some of my tax dollars.

Couple of posts above me made me chuckle.
-D

#29 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 783

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've worked with guys like this when I worked at radio shack when I was 18-20 years old (late 80s).  They would ignore customers (which made no sense since we were all on commission), and I would scoop them up.  Made a $2000 sale to one dude because he was dressed like a bum.  I was the only one to approach him and asked if I could help him.  Sold a computer in about 30 seconds, and if I recall correctly, we made 7%.

#30 ptjn1201

ptjn1201

Tour Winner

• 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141293
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 27 February 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I've worked with guys like this when I worked at radio shack when I was 18-20 years old (late 80s).  They would ignore customers (which made no sense since we were all on commission), and I would scoop them up.  Made a $2000 sale to one dude because he was dressed like a bum.  I was the only one to approach him and asked if I could help him.  Sold a computer in about 30 seconds, and if I recall correctly, we made 7%.

One of my father's golf buddies was an insurance salesman -- probably about 15-20 years older than my father.  When he was younger, they were all sitting around the office one day eating lunch and a guy comes in, heavy accent, just opened a deli/grocery and wanted a policy on his front window.  This was during the depression.  People were eating, talking, nobody wanted to bother with this guy and his small policy -- even then it was a lot of work for a small payoff.  But my father's buddy told him to come over and sit down and he'd take care of him.  Well, the one store turned into over 20 supermarkets in the NY area, and my father's buddy had the property/casualty policies on all of them -- kept his income steady and rising until he retired.  When it comes to selling, you just never know who's coming through that door and what they might want.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors