Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Boccieri Secret Grips?

74 replies to this topic

#61 stryper

stryper

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25877
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 17 April 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

View Poststryper, on 29 March 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Okay, here's been my experience so far.  Had the SG put on my driver a few weeks ago.  The results were immediately impressive.  While it's still possible to miss with a bad swing, overall, the ball flight has been much more consistently straight, and my misses have been much better.

After a couple of weeks I put one on my fairway.  Again, straighter, more consistent ball flight and better misses.

Then I got greedy and tried to continue the experiment down into the bag.  But I tried to do it cheap, with clevis pins and Tour Velvet mids.  The clevis pins weighed in at ~47g's, the Tour Velvets are something like 50g's.  I did this with my 4-6 irons.  That part of the experiment was a complete and utter disaster.  With that much weight concentrated at the very end of the shaft, the clubs were impossible for me to control.  (For those who want to try the clevis pin approach, remember, the plug on the SG is only 17g's. the rest of the weight is distributed along the length of the grip.)  
So how does the clevis pin method work? You just go buy clevis pins from the store and open the back of the grip enough to wedge one in?

Thanks.

Take the grip off, slip the pin down the shaft, then reinstall the grip.  With the 1/2" diameter pins, you will need a few wraps of tape to snug them in.  Otherwise, nothing to it.

UST Mamiya for Life!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 olkev

olkev

Huge fan of the Golden Bear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106321
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I just recently received a Secret Grip to try. I have yet to do so but, while thinking this through I have come up with the following:

Nicklaus is endorsing the Secret Grip. The heavier composite grip about an inch longer than normal with a 17gram tungsten insert and a total weight of about 92 grams which is about 42 grams heavier than a standard grip.

I know Nicklaus used to counter balance his steel shafted persimmon driver but in old articles I have read the numbers are only 3/8 to 1/2 ounce or 10.6 to 14.2 grams. That is a huge difference from what is being marketed here - like 28 grams difference or a full ounce with a standard weight 50gram grip. You can add a couple of gram extra for leather if you wish. That's also with a steel shaft at 130 grams vs graphite today at an average of say 80 grams.

Like I said, I haven't tried this yet but the numbers with the Secret Grip seems to me like this would be taking a LOT of "feel" from the head.

Is 42 grams extra weight in the grip too much?
Nicklaus 460ML4 9*/Fuji EXS 6.1
AirMax 35-S 15* 3wd/Fuji VistaPro 80 S;
AirMax DPT 18* 5wd/Fuji VistaPro 90 S;
Muirfield 20th irons 2-PW;/TT DGHL S-300
Nicklaus Classic SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100
Kirk Currie putter SCP-1

#63 stryper

stryper

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25877
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

View Postolkev, on 19 April 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Nicklaus is endorsing the Secret Grip....

It will be interesting to see if these grips are worked anywhere into his product line.  I could be mistaken, but it looked like his driver at the Masters this year had the SG on it.

UST Mamiya for Life!!!

#64 olkev

olkev

Huge fan of the Golden Bear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106321
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Poststryper, on 19 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Postolkev, on 19 April 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Nicklaus is endorsing the Secret Grip....

It will be interesting to see if these grips are worked anywhere into his product line.  I could be mistaken, but it looked like his driver at the Masters this year had the SG on it.

Check out page 103 - the logo is on the bottom

Edited by olkev, 19 April 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Nicklaus 460ML4 9*/Fuji EXS 6.1
AirMax 35-S 15* 3wd/Fuji VistaPro 80 S;
AirMax DPT 18* 5wd/Fuji VistaPro 90 S;
Muirfield 20th irons 2-PW;/TT DGHL S-300
Nicklaus Classic SW 58* TTDyn Gold X100
Kirk Currie putter SCP-1

#65 HR Dave

HR Dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227659
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Alright so I got this thing on my driver for free at Golf Galaxy two weeks ago. I was very excited and I really wanted to like it,,, but it's coming off. I tend to duck hook allot and I thought this would help. Well it has over corrected and I am throwing drives way to the right now, which I never did before, and when I say way right, I mean way, way , right. I've given it 2 rounds and 3 range sessions and it has completely thrown me off. Anyways, just my two cents, hope it helps someone.

#66 misplacedtexan83

misplacedtexan83

FORE!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242907
GolfWRX Likes : 1552

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, as I mentioned before, these things really change the swingweight, which I just could not adjust too.  I ended up getting rid of the driver and I will never put these on anything.  But everyone is different, so good luck to anyone who uses them.
10.5* PING i25 w/ Motore Speeder 661 S+
15* TEE XCG
PING I25 4-PW KBS Tour S
Old Cleveland Wedges 56/58
Low Tide Rip Curl (.75*, 73 lie, 34.5)

#67 dtowngolf

dtowngolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136849
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just realize that counter weighting affects the swingweight...
SLDR 10.5,OBAN Kiyoshi White 04/ BB s+
Stage 2 Speeder 757
DHY Tour Green 18/21
5-PW Rocketblades Tour, S400 Tour Isuue
Spider Si
ATV 49, 54, 60, S400 Tour Issue

#68 zodiackill

zodiackill

ButterBoy T's the Name

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93806
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

So, I tend to like heavier clubs.  Havent done any counterweighting, but this week will be my first experiment with it.  I got a 20g weight plug to put in the butt of my driver.  Relatively inexpensive, and I am already having a Rombax 8z08 built up to go in my Razr Fit Xtreme.  I am going to play it at 44.5" with the Rombax which is 88g in X, I currently have the 13g in the heel and 6 in the toe, but also have the 8g weight and 1g.  Depending on how its playing for me, I'll add lead tape to taste.  I hit the ball plenty long, and am just looking for a driver thats a tad more consistent.  Everything in my swing tends to get fast, so I like heavy clubs.  However I still like a manageable swingweight, so hopefully this gets the best of both worlds.  I have weights for my 3w, 2i and 3i's coming as well, however the driver will be the first experiment along with a counterweighted putter.  Although through extensive testing of the spider blade I already know I love the counterbalanced putters, now its just the matter of getting setup with the correct one.
Bio Cell Pro - Fuel TS 60x
Ping S55's 4-PW w/KBS C-Taper Lite X
Odyssey ProType #7
51, 56, 61

#69 plus8

plus8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90462
  • Ebay ID:wbrancher
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

I picked up a used set of irons that had the SG's on 'em.  I had read and ads that they will change my game - and boy, they sure did!  I didn't like 'em much - used them for three rounds and actually began to get used to the very different feel, weighting, etc, not to mention the 92-gram grip weight overall -- but I never felt I had as much feel or control on them.  So I pulled 'em and put my old standby - some Crossline Cords - on, and the irons cam bak to life for me.

But as a little experiment, I did pull my driver grip and I installed one of the Boccieri's on my driver - mostly to reduce the swingweight on the driver a little.  Took me about 4-5 holes to get used to the feel, but once I dialed in to that, the Boccieri performs very well for that club and I am actually getting more distance and better (straighter) drives.  I really like it on the driver, but not on my FW woods or irons. I've heard that they perform well on SW and LW clubs, but I haven't tried that arrangement out yet.  Anyone like 'em on wedges?  I know Lamkin has some PP 3gen 'wedge grips' that are longer than normal, so that length and the SG girth may work on my SW/LW, but the weight in the butt is still too much.

Anyway, they seem to be nice grips, but the weight is a showstopper for me on the irons, and they frankly feel kind of fatter than I need.  

p.s. I can give somebody a sweet deal on some slightly used SG's......cheers.

#70 salt

salt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98873
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

On my way to range today, I bought a few bolts from hardware store.  During range session, I put the bolt into the grip end of my driver.  It helped me to make more consistent takeaway.  As a result, I can start downswing more smoothly and I could make more center contact.  I tried on my 5 wood and 8 iron, and it felt more easier to make consistent backswing.

On my way home, i bought more of them with different weights.  Each was like 20 cents.  It turned out the weight i tried was 9 gram (1inch bolt)  I installed 6 grams to all clubs and 8 grams to wedges.  There were 2, 3 inches bolts in the shop, I guess any one can achieve 20 grams as well.

By the way, i have had thick bolt about 50 grams in my putter for a few months.  it helped my putting too.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 super20dan

super20dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

any one remember enforcer grips? about 25 yrs ago-whats old is new again
73 hogan apex

#72 Manz60

Manz60

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54828
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

here Frank Thomas talks about Jacks "secret grips"...very interesting,
http://franklygolf.i...ghting-putters/

M60

#73 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostManz60, on 21 December 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

here Frank Thomas talks about Jacks "secret grips"...very interesting,
http://franklygolf.i...ghting-putters/

M60
Now, the issue of the glove, while being worn, affects the swingweight of the club...that's a stretch.

#74 Marengo

Marengo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120014
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

I recently tried 20g prolocks in my irons and woods, 30g in the wedges. Took some getting used to but I think I like my static weight to be on the lighter side. I already had too fast of a tempo and the extra overall weight didn't slow me down like I thought it would. I actually fell into a really bad habit of letting the grip move in my hands at the top of the backswing. The shafts actually started hitting the back if my neck. Took them out and will see if I can sell them if anyone's interested.

#75 sweetswingin

sweetswingin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147923
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

View Postsweetswingin, on 06 April 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Tried the grip on the r11s driver to lighten the clubhead.  Took it off to try different back weighting weights and would suggest you use different clevis pins as suggested.  I tried a 1/2" x 2 1/2" 68gm.  this was a bit to heavy overall but I hit the ball ok with it. Changing to a 1/2" x 2" 47gm. ( have a gm scale). Do not have a sw scale.  If you want to back weight this is the easiest way to try it out.
Following up since last season, I have counter balanced only selected woods and hybrids with a 1/2" to 2" 47gm clevis pin, ($2.40 @ hardware store),  Fits nicely down the shaft (wrap a little tape to snug it up if necessary) easy to remove and about half the weight of the weighted grip.  This 47gm clevis pin just feels like the right amount of weight to take any added feeling of weight off in the heads. Adds overall weight but improves the balance of a slightly heavy feeling head real well.  I myself have not gotten added feel from having them in the irons, like some who have butt weighted every club in the bag.  I bought a Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5* with a stiff shaft.  Love the solid feel, low profile, lower ball fight and added distance.  The club has a smaller head and a 8 gm weight in the sole of the club.  The club felt a bit heavy, I would occasionally hit a miss to the right. So I removed the sole weight added a 1gm. Shortened the club 1/2" making it 42 1/2" and added the 47 gm clevis pin. Solved the problem and eliminated the miss to the right.  The club feels balanced and I easily get the club head through impact and have produced consistent results.  I can't say enough about how well this simple butt weighting process has helped the feel and performance of some of my longer clubs.  Easy fix give it a try.

Edited by sweetswingin, 05 April 2014 - 07:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors