Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best "Bang for Your Buck" Courses in Southern California

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey Town

Mikey Town

My MSI can beat up your MSI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187388
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

I currently live in Corona, CA (Riverside County/Inland Empire) and have been playing golf in Southern California for the last 10-15 years.  Needless to say, I've been to quite a few different courses.

Now, I'm looking for a few new tracks to frequent... I have to change it up and get to some new courses.

In your opinion, what are some of the best "Bang for Your Buck" courses in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties?  I'm looking for places where you can get out for less than $80 (preferably in the $50-$60 range) on the weekend... tee time specials and twilight times are just fine.

Below are some of my current favorites:

1.  Goose Creek (Mira Loma, CA) Currently my favorite course to play.  Conditions are always great and the practice facility is fantastic!
2.  The Golf Club at Glen Ivy (Corona, CA)
3.  Oak Quarry (Riverside, CA)
4.  El Dorado (Long Beach, CA)
5.  Skylinks (Long Beach, CA)
6.  Rio Hondo (Downey, CA)
7.  Eagle Glen (Corona, CA)
8.  Los Serranos - North Course (Chino Hills, CA)  This would be higher up on the list if they put out the black tees on the weekends.

I usually don't go very far into Los Angeles County, and haven't yet ventured into the Palm Springs area, so I'm not very familiar with many of these courses.

What would you guys add to the list?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike

Edited by Mikey Town, 26 February 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Ping Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Mizuno Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
www.mjf-photography.com
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

IMO, the best bang for the buck in all of SoCal would be Rustic Canyon.  Admittedly, a bit distant from the Inland Empire for regular play.

#3 Mikey Town

Mikey Town

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I don't mind a bit of a drive, now and then.  I'll have to give Rustic Canyon a shot.

Thanks teejaywhy
Ping Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Mizuno Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
www.mjf-photography.com
WITB Link

#4 Oldboy

Oldboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

+1 for rustic canyon if you dont mind the drive and i dont see oak valley on your list.. Its in Beaumont .. Gotta be closer for you than me.. Thats a gem

Edited by zerofade, 26 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#5 Mikey Town

Mikey Town

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Nope... haven't played Oak Valley either.  Less than an hour from me... that might be a winner for this weekend!

Ping Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Mizuno Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
www.mjf-photography.com
WITB Link

#6 Oldboy

Oldboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostMikey Town, on 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Nope... haven't played Oak Valley either.  Less than an hour from me... that might be a winner for this weekend!

You won't be disappointed. I would put that right up there with rustic canyon in terms of bang for your buck.. In fact, for the cost those would probably be my top 2 with goose creek 3rd

#7 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Another vote for Rustic Canyon, played it while in LA/San Diego and it is absolutely fantastic

#8 Mikey Town

Mikey Town

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Well... I played Oak Valley over the weekend.  I wasn't all that impressed.  Course conditions weren't what I expected (a lot more brown than I thought I would see), but it's a GREAT layout.

The greens, however, kind of ruined the experience for me.  While they were rolling fast, smooth, and in great shape, they were IMPOSSIBLE to read!  These were the most deceptive greens I've ever putted by far.  Between me, and the 3 others I played with, I've never seen a group of 4 players consistantly misread greens more often... ever.  If this were my local course, or if I were playing this course in competition, with a caddy, no problem...  I'd be out there enough to plot the greens, make my notes and learn them.  Unfortunately, this course is about an hour from my house, and I have many other options close by.  For a guy who works Monday through Friday, and only gets to play on the weekends, I would like to have a fighting chance at making a put now and then.

This weekend, it will be back to Goose Creek (just got a Clicgear 3.5+ and can't wait to get it out on the course), then I will be looking into Rustic Canyon.  All the positive reviews has me really looking forward to this place.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ping Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Mizuno Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
www.mjf-photography.com
WITB Link

#9 AirmanSmith

AirmanSmith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215229
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Industry hills golf club fits your criteria. It has 2 courses on property both are great. I prefer the Ike over the babe but you can't go wrong either way. It's hosted tour events most recently the 2011 LPGA Kia classic. Not to mention it was my home course in college. Definatlely I'm my top 5 in so cal (in that price range)

#10 Sidetracked

Sidetracked

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137827
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Have you played Tukwet canyon golf courses out by Oak Valley? Usually play the legends and champions all summer long for under 30. To me that is a bargain for the type of golf course. Oak quarry is my favorite on your list though. Another decent course imo is empire lakes in rancho. Nothing spectacular like oak quarry but it is above average and around 20-35 bucks depending on the time.

I know you live in Corona and noticed you didn't list champions club at retreat? I've never played there but have heard good things. Any reason why you left that off?

Sierra Lakes in Fontana isn't bad either.

Always Under Construction
Raw Vokey Wedges 50, 55, 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Mikey Town

Mikey Town

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostSidetracked, on 07 April 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Have you played Tukwet canyon golf courses out by Oak Valley? Usually play the legends and champions all summer long for under 30. To me that is a bargain for the type of golf course. Oak quarry is my favorite on your list though. Another decent course imo is empire lakes in rancho. Nothing spectacular like oak quarry but it is above average and around 20-35 bucks depending on the time.

I know you live in Corona and noticed you didn't list champions club at retreat? I've never played there but have heard good things. Any reason why you left that off?

Champions Club is fun, but I think I burnt myself out on that place... Played it a lot when I first found out about it, but haven't been back in a while.

I'll have to check out empire lakes... I went to the Nationwide Tour event there a few years ago and it looked pretty nice.
Ping Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Mizuno Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
www.mjf-photography.com
WITB Link

#12 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Cross creek in Temcula Fallbrook is nice for the money.

#13 Sidetracked

Sidetracked

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137827
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostMikey Town, on 17 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Champions Club is fun, but I think I burnt myself out on that place... Played it a lot when I first found out about it, but haven't been back in a while.

I'll have to check out empire lakes... I went to the Nationwide Tour event there a few years ago and it looked pretty nice.

Yeah its pretty nice. They just hosted the Canadian PGA Tour Q school at the champions club last week.
Always Under Construction
Raw Vokey Wedges 50, 55, 60

#14 MatyDub

MatyDub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256752
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostMikey Town, on 17 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

MIke,

my course of choice here in the IE has been the Moreno Valley Ranch course. I live in Redlands so a quick drive through the canyon and I'm there.

PROS:
Price (30-45)
pace of play (usually wide open)
three nines (sometimes play all 3 at no extra charge)
BYOB
cool and challenging layout
Oh and a grass driving range (hate to warm up on a fake hitting mat).
friendly staff

Coolest hole is an elevated PAR 3 with a 120 ish yard gap over rock and other terrain. the view on a clear day is cool, be careful of wildlife such as snakes and bobcat, coyote and squirrels that WILL take you ball.

CONS:
No beer or cart girl (why I bring my own stash)
Course isn't in 100% GREAT shape (still good though)
Very few distance markers around the course

I also played OAK VALLEY about 3 weeks ago. I thought that course was in good shape (everything real green).

I suggest you give the Ranch a try.

-Mathew

#15 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hidden valley is a great course with some great specials.   If you don't mind la quinta in the summer the pga west courses can be had for steals around $40-50

#16 04chase

04chase

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205281
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

i played empire lakes the other day for the first time . pretty cool layout a bit tight , i hit driver one time and the rest was 2 iron . greens were really nice for the course on your list at this time( i play oak quarry once or twice a month easily and they just punched again and were not all that great last monday)

i played the legends course at tukwet a couple weeks ago and i liked it alot , lots of tough breaks in those greens.

not a big fan of the serranos north course , played there on wednesday and it was mehhhh.

coyote hills in brea/fullerton was a nicer one i played a couple months back but not a great price.

one that just got times on golfnow is vellano in chino hills. pretty different course, lots of elevation changes, good conditions and bring your a game with your driver.

#17 MatyDub

MatyDub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256752
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Speaking of golfing in the desert during summer months, I'm hosting a tournament at Escena in Palm Springs.

Proceeds go to help pay emergency surgery bills..

Shankwars.eventbrite.com

I still need to play Oak Quarry speaking of that course as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors