Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Defective irons?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 detroit59

detroit59

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8891
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I recently purchased a set of new irons and had an issue with one of the irons after a couple of swings.  On about the 5th swing the head bent backwards at the hosel, but did not appear to separate from the shaft.

Does this sound like a shafting error, or maybe a defect in the head?

I just spoke with the OEM and they said the club was reshafted and the remaining irons were checked.  The person on the phone couldn't provide anymore details as to how they were checked, so I'm curious as to how they would've checked them.

With golf season starting soon, I'd prefer not having to keep sending clubs back if I can get some piece of mind by asking the right questions or understanding what the cause might've been.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ronsc1985

ronsc1985

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102136
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postdetroit59, on 26 February 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I recently purchased a set of new irons and had an issue with one of the irons after a couple of swings.  On about the 5th swing the head bent backwards at the hosel, but did not appear to separate from the shaft.

Does this sound like a shafting error, or maybe a defect in the head?

I just spoke with the OEM and they said the club was reshafted and the remaining irons were checked.  The person on the phone couldn't provide anymore details as to how they were checked, so I'm curious as to how they would've checked them.

With golf season starting soon, I'd prefer not having to keep sending clubs back if I can get some piece of mind by asking the right questions or understanding what the cause might've been.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I take your description to mean the club rotated on the shaft. This just indicates that the glue job, from shaft to hosel id was defective. When this happens they don't always fall off.

There is always the possibility that the hosel id was too big for the shaft or the shaft was somehow smaller then the correct od. I wouldn't worry about it. If more start coming loose then you may have a problem.  It's kind of easy to check to see if others are coming loose, just clamp the shaft and twist the hell out of the head. If it doesn't move you are good to go. It's also easy to spot if only slight movement has occurred by noting any alignment change of the grip logo.

#3 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 731

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

if you sent the clubs back and they checked them, there isn't anything more you can do.  Most likely good to do.

#4 TJCDAS

TJCDAS

I was cured, all right!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77417
  • Handicap:Me
GolfWRX Likes : 742

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

You can't expect the tech that worked on the clubs to also answer customer service calls.  

Edited by TJCDAS, 26 February 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#5 detroit59

detroit59

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Sorry about the lack of details.

The club head didn't rotate around, but bent backwards.  The face was still facing forward, but bent backwards creating the appearance of a huge amount of offset.

I definitely wouldn't want the tech to hop on the phone, but just hoped they would've had detailed notes about what the cause was.  Ultimately, I'll just need to test them out this weekend and hope for the best.

Thanks for the replies.

#6 prorobo

prorobo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

What kind of irons are they and what shafts did you get? It sounds like the tip bent inside the hosel? Did the hosel itself show any bend?

#7 detroit59

detroit59

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

They were Titleist 712 MB's with C Tapers.  The hosel did look bent from what I recall, so what you're saying makes sense.  I was hoping to put all this behind me today, but the clubs didn't arrive today like they were supposed to.  Looks like I'll have to wait another day before I can test out the remaining set in hopes that the other irons don't share the same fate as the "bad one".

#8 shoveler

shoveler

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115840
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

It's bc your swing is crappy chuck.  lol  the club try to get the heck out of dodge.  rocketbladezzzzzzzzzz u need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors