Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tipping for callaway, taylormade,titleist adapters

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 snook...

snook...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104035
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Do manuf. tip shafts at factory to account for adapter?

Or are shafts straight in?  

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 czastrow

czastrow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79464
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

titleist and tm tip, callaway I'm not sure but I made sure mine were in my rfx.
G25 8.5
RFX 3 & 7
Macgregor Custom CB5
Tp Mills, lajosi

#3 snook...

snook...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104035
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks

#4 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

Actually, based on all the reports and posts here (and my limited experience), only Titleist tips a 1/2".  TM and Callaway definitely do not.  Whether they should or not is another question entirely of which there are numerous opinions out there from the wrx participants.

#5 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

#CallaWRX2

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Callaway does not tip.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

#6 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 775

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostStuart G., on 26 February 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Actually, based on all the reports and posts here (and my limited experience), only Titleist tips a 1/2".  TM and Callaway definitely do not.  Whether they should or not is another question entirely of which there are numerous opinions out there from the wrx participants.
My feedback from TM is that they do not tip TM made for and TM graphic shafts but do tip and recomend tipping all other shafts in order to play to flex.

#7 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postwobgon, on 26 February 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

My feedback from TM is that they do not tip TM made for and TM graphic shafts but do tip and recomend tipping all other shafts in order to play to flex.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, based on all the previous posts of people interacting with TM on the subject seems seems to be inconsistent with the dominant (rough guess 80-90%) answer being that they don't tip.  I've never talked to them myself (and not sure I'd trust the answer if I did) so not in a position to argue.   I do know I've installed 5 adapters w/o tipping and haven't had any flex issues.  Of course, that's the result for my swing and with the shafts I used (already fairly tip stiff).

If you make the decision completely on BBTG measurements (which makes the most sense), it actually will vary depending on the head being used.  e.g. r11s and rbz non-tour is 1.75" BBTG - which isn't really long enough to warrant tipping while the rbz tour and super-tri have a BBTG of 2" which is more in the range of something that 'should' need the shaft tipped.

For lack of clearer info, I fall back and heed Tom Wishon's words that the difference in feel that 1/2" of tipping makes isn't actually noticeable by over 95% of golfers.  Also, since you can't "untip" a shaft,  I always start w/o tipping and if there actually is a problem I can pull it and do the tipping later.

#8 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 775

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostStuart G., on 26 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

View Postwobgon, on 26 February 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised, however, based on all the previous posts of people interacting with TM on the subject seems seems to be inconsistent with the dominant (rough guess 80-90%) answer being that they don't tip.  I've never talked to them myself (and not sure I'd trust the answer if I did) so not in a position to argue.   I do know I've installed 5 adapters w/o tipping and haven't had any flex issues.  Of course, that's the result for my swing and with the shafts I used (already fairly tip stiff).

If you make the decision completely on BBTG measurements (which makes the most sense), it actually will vary depending on the head being used.  e.g. r11s and rbz non-tour is 1.75" BBTG - which isn't really long enough to warrant tipping while the rbz tour and super-tri have a BBTG of 2" which is more in the range of something that 'should' need the shaft tipped.

For lack of clearer info, I fall back and heed Tom Wishon's words that the difference in feel that 1/2" of tipping makes isn't actually noticeable by over 95% of golfers.  Also, since you can't "untip" a shaft,  I always start w/o tipping and if there actually is a problem I can pull it and do the tipping later.
I wasn't trying to disagree or claim to be right, just passing along what i was told. It seems really odd that this subject does not seem to have any positive answer.

#9 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postwobgon, on 26 February 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

I wasn't trying to disagree or claim to be right, just passing along what i was told. It seems really odd that this subject does not seem to have any positive answer.

I understand that, nor was I.  I was just trying to make it clear what I really do and don't know on the subject.  Sort of my version of full disclosure.

Can't really say I'm all that surprised about the inconsistencies.  Consider a couple things.  1) Most contact of the public to the company is through CS and sales reps both of which rely on the standard company training curriculum to do their jobs.  2) the subject of tipping, although very common here on GolfWRX and high end fitters, is really very uncommon in the general golfing public so I can't say I would find it surprising if the official training material from the company doesn't cover it.  If true, then that would mean that most answers will come from inconsistent sources within the company through varying chains of communications and subject to some level of distortion as it get's passed around.   If TM does, as you say, tip in some cases but not other, or even if it was done with one line but not another, then that's an even bigger opportunity for the information that gets back to the reps then customer and posted here to get mixed up and distorted.  I'm not implying this is specific to TM either, this is how things end up in most large companies.   The forums here (and elsewhere) are full of inconsistent replies when the same question is made to CS reps for pretty much all the OEMS.

Edited by Stuart G., 26 February 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#10 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126492
  • Ebay ID:jgarza_pma
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I called TM yesterday about prepping a shaft. I purchased a TM graphics shaft off the Bay that was uncut (guess this seller bought a bunch of old stock R11 TP graphics shafts). The rep told me for this particular shaft (X-con 5) they tipped it 1". I have to say that after installing the adapter and grip, the "feel" of the shaft was right on, with a little whip it being lighter than my other shaft. Had I done a uncut install, I think the shaft would have felt really soft. Since TP shafts (even in TM graphics) are supposed to be the real deal, I think tipping 1" for spec flex is correct.

Covert Tour - Chrome 7F4T
Covert Tour 3w - KK Silver 70 Stiff
R11 Ti 5w - D+ 82s
FG Tour V2 3-PW - KBS Tour S
Scratch 8620 53&58 - DG Spinner
Ping Anser Milled "0"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Remember, you have to pay attention to the shaft manufacturers tipping instructions.  Just because 1" might be 'best' for the x-con 5, doesn't mean 1" applies to all shafts.   The matrix tipping instructions for the x-con 5 is 1" for a 3w as opposed to a more common 1/2" so does warrant more than other shafts might.

#12 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I understand that and would be more apt to tip only 1/2" if there wasn't some kind of tip extension on the shaft. Since the adapter adds 1/2" to the tip, the longer tipping instruction made sense to me.
R11 Ti 5w - D+ 82s
Ping Anser Milled "0"

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

How much the adapter adds to the tip (if your referring to the part of the adapter that extends beyond the end of the shaft) doesn't have any impact at all.   The only factors that matter are the BBTG measurement  (which is measured from the actual end of the shaft, not the end of the adapter), and possibly how much of the shaft is glued into the adapter.  Well - total head weight, (including adapter weight) also comes into play for tipping decisions but that part is really independent.

#14 Txstcatman

Txstcatman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostStuart G., on 27 February 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

How much the adapter adds to the tip (if your referring to the part of the adapter that extends beyond the end of the shaft) doesn't have any impact at all.   The only factors that matter are the BBTG measurement  (which is measured from the actual end of the shaft, not the end of the adapter), and possibly how much of the shaft is glued into the adapter.  Well - total head weight, (including adapter weight) also comes into play for tipping decisions but that part is really independent.

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from. I just wanted to add what info I could glean from a TM CSR about a particular shaft I had on hand. I tried searching this forum and the most popular hits had info ranging anywhere from no tipping to 1/2" to 1". I agree I think it depends on the club it's going into as well as the shaft itself. Seems like in other threads the length a tip adds to the end of the shaft does play some role in the overal cut length and amount of tip trim but that was specific to R11 drivers and varied by the person sharing experience.

http://www.golfwrx.c...for-r11-driver/
R11 Ti 5w - D+ 82s
Ping Anser Milled "0"

#15 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yes - when wanting to know how long a shaft will play, or where to cut the shaft to result in a certain playing length, the numbers can very depending on whether or not those measurements include the additional protruding part of the adapter or just the raw shaft length.

#16 BigLeftyinAZ

BigLeftyinAZ

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8850
  • Ebay ID:clnconcpts
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Titleist rep says 1/2 tipping,Nike rep tells me they tip 3/4 inch. Callaway rep told me they tip 1"for razr fit. TM told me 0 tipping. Seems everyone gets a different story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors