Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Iron Fitting Help (Tall Golfer)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sherm

Sherm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205501
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Stats: 6'4" and long arms. Wrist to floor is just shy of 36 1/2.  Mid capper.  Fast smooth swinger.

Went for an iron fitting this past week. Walked away with a 6 iron demo from the fitter.  Callaway X Forged with Aerotech Steelfiber i110 shaft 3/4" over, Iomic grip. Swing weight around d4 i think (but totally not sure as I know nothing about swing weight). Bent 2 degrees upright. Flex on shaft is X stiff.

I worked with the club all weekend and even worked with my swing coach. He isnt happy about the extra length. But club felt good.

So to my forum brothers...... I am less concerned about the club head. I am great with the shaft (best feeling shaft I have ever swung).  What I need help with is the 3/4" over.

I am worried that my long irons will get too long with this extra length. Plus, my coach wasnt too keen on the extra length either.  Should I back off the length a go 1/4" or 1/2"?  A pro/friend of mine who is built like me plays standard length and is also encouraging me to play standard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh...my current irons are standard length Titleist CB's.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

+3/4" seems too long if your WTF is 36".  I'm 6' 4" and my WTF is 38" w/ shoes on.  I play my irons 3* up and +1/2".
Ping G25 9.5* w/ TFC
Ping G15 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping G15 4-SW w/ AWT
Ping Tour S Rustique 60* w/ DG Spinner
Ping Anser 2 BeCu

#3 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I too am 6'4" with a 34" wtf (longer arms).  I have gamed clubs 1" over and at standard length in titleist mb710s.  I swing both the same.  At 1" over I made sure i kept the same posture at address and had the clubs bent the 2* back down on the lie angle to compensate for the extra inch, and the extra inch was more comfortable for me because i felt.like i had the meat of the grip at the butt of my left hand. With the standard gear the end of the grip was right at the butt of my hand ( gripping the very end of the shaft). Dont be afraid of the extra length...just make sure that you retain your desired address posture as most people that get extra length end up with more upright lie angles than they desire which they then adjust to set up with and stand closer to the ball than they should.

Edited by sblack5, 25 February 2013 - 02:16 PM.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#4 robengel

robengel

golf genius

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196982
  • Ebay ID:rob-e1
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'm 6'4 and play 3/4 over and 2 up, it's always worked for me.  never worried about long irons going too far.  To get proper posture, you need clubs the correct length, your coach should be on board with that.
Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-P
Cleveland wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Ok, I'll chime in.  I was recently just at the Callaway Performance Center in Carlsbad and had them fit me to make sure I had the correctl length and lie on my XHot irons.  My wrist to floor was 39" and I'm 6'4", I guess I don't have very long arms for my height. I have my irons 1" over in length and 2* upright.   Both my instructor and the fitter weren't as concerned about the extra length as they were makng sure I was able to have correct posture.  that said, I fight a naturally humped stance, so having the extra length for me, helps (when I remember) to stand straight with only slight knee bend.

All that said, for your 36" your plus 3/4 seems a bit long.  Maybe 1/4 inch would be ok.  The other thing the fitter at Callaway took into consideration is my approach into the ball and looked at where I was making contact.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#6 Sherm

Sherm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am probably being too careful before having my irons built. Its such an inexact science to me that I needed some input from the tall guys.

I do agree that 3/4 might be too much but 1/2 or 1/4 should be fine....I am just worried that if they are too long, my 4 iron will look like a diving board.

#7 chirotennis

chirotennis

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I am the same specs as you and I play 1/2" over.  I am seriously considering moving back to 1/4" (38.25" 5i).  I have only played up to 1/2" and it just feels too long for me, especially when I get to the long irons.  Also, when you have the extra length it becomes harder to get the club weighted correctly.  I play at D6 due to the extra length with PX 6.0's.
A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

#8 Sherm

Sherm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postchirotennis, on 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

I am the same specs as you and I play 1/2" over.  I am seriously considering moving back to 1/4" (38.25" 5i).  I have only played up to 1/2" and it just feels too long for me, especially when I get to the long irons.  Also, when you have the extra length it becomes harder to get the club weighted correctly.  I play at D6 due to the extra length with PX 6.0's.

I noticed you are in Dallas.....Me too, well Plano.  Mind me asking who fit you?

#9 jdzeeb

jdzeeb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75143
  • Ebay ID:jdzeeb1
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Tom Wishon has posted about this in the past (and maybe he will chime in here) about length for tall golfers.  He suggest that sometimes it's best to use 3/8 inch increments so the long irons aren't too long.  Start with a comfortable length for your longest iron and go down from there.   The issue really isn't with the length of the long irons anyway, it's when you get down to the scoring clubs where you don't want to be bent too far over.  I'm 6'3 with my shoes on (since you play golf in shoes) and my wrist to floor is 37 inches.  Play my 5 iron at 38 inches, but I like my PW to be 36 or 36 1/4.  I usually play my Pw and GW the same length then go down 1/4 inch for Sw and Lw.

#10 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postjdzeeb, on 25 February 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Tom Wishon has posted about this in the past (and maybe he will chime in here) about length for tall golfers.  He suggest that sometimes it's best to use 3/8 inch increments so the long irons aren't too long.  Start with a comfortable length for your longest iron and go down from there.   The issue really isn't with the length of the long irons anyway, it's when you get down to the scoring clubs where you don't want to be bent too far over.  I'm 6'3 with my shoes on (since you play golf in shoes) and my wrist to floor is 37 inches.  Play my 5 iron at 38 inches, but I like my PW to be 36 or 36 1/4.  I usually play my Pw and GW the same length then go down 1/4 inch for Sw and Lw.
This is a good point. And going back to the length of the longer irons, I think it's becoming more of a moot point, now that many long irons are being replaced by hybrids.  My longest iron is a 5 iron and I have a 4 Hybrid, which is 40" my 4 iron at 1" over would have been 40.25.  I'm sure I'll get much better contact and results from this hybrid than I would have a 4 iron.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Sherm

Sherm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

This is a good point. And going back to the length of the longer irons, I think it's becoming more of a moot point, now that many long irons are being replaced by hybrids.  My longest iron is a 5 iron and I have a 4 Hybrid, which is 40" my 4 iron at 1" over would have been 40.25.  I'm sure I'll get much better contact and results from this hybrid than I would have a 4 iron.

Very good point. I think I would opt to make my set stop at the 5 iron and go hybrid past that. I hit it pretty far so I tend to not need the longest irons. But would benefit from the hybrid option. Maybe part of my answer is to stop at the 5.

#12 bullrambler

bullrambler

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201389
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

There are a number of videos that can be accessed on Youtube. There are fitting sessions for different size of golfers - including tall ones. If we look at the (now typical) 5 iron length of 38 inches, this might work for you and will depend on several factors, 1. Did you have some tape on the face and sole to see where you are making you most common strike ball-marks on the club? This will tell   you if the length is ok.  If the marks on the sole are predominantly near the toe, you need a more upright lie. I have known one golf friend who liked short clubs, very upright, and he played them close to his body. A general rule of thumb is about the distance of one fist away from your mid section - belt zipper area. Some like the butt of the club closer, but very few strike the ball well when the butt of the shaft is, say two fists away from your belt/zipper area. I would guess that a 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch should be about right. Sometimes it helps to go and hit balls without too much emphasis on having someone leaning over your shoulder watching. One can usually pick up a few non current fitter demo clubs for cheap. Different brands, lengths, shafts and lies. Sooner or later you can find something that will work. If the swing isn't dialed in, or if one plays infrequently, getting a good fitting will have it's challenges.Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with longer then standard, heavier irons,and bigger grips. What works for one golfer may not be idea for another. But there all worth trying to get a feel for something that works as well as it can.

#13 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 25 February 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Ok, I'll chime in.  I was recently just at the Callaway Performance Center in Carlsbad and had them fit me to make sure I had the correctl length and lie on my XHot irons.  My wrist to floor was 39" and I'm 6'4", I guess I don't have very long arms for my height. I have my irons 1" over in length and 2* upright.   Both my instructor and the fitter weren't as concerned about the extra length as they were makng sure I was able to have correct posture.  that said, I fight a naturally humped stance, so having the extra length for me, helps (when I remember) to stand straight with only slight knee bend.

All that said, for your 36" your plus 3/4 seems a bit long.  Maybe 1/4 inch would be ok.  The other thing the fitter at Callaway took into consideration is my approach into the ball and looked at where I was making contact.

I'm very similar to Carolina here. I'm 6'3" wtf of 391/2 . I have been fitted many times at +1 in length and either 2* or 3* up lie. My friend is 6'3" wtf 38 and he has been fitted at +1/2 with his previous sets. Just going by your wtf at 36" I wouldn't think you would need that much additional length.

I'm one too to have ditched a 4 iron and added a hybrid in its' place.

#14 robengel

robengel

golf genius

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196982
  • Ebay ID:rob-e1
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

you may also want to consider your usual miss, if it's thin then don't be afraid of going longer, but if you're more of a digger, you may want to go shorter
Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-P
Cleveland wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

#15 chirotennis

chirotennis

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostSherm, on 25 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

View Postchirotennis, on 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

I noticed you are in Dallas.....Me too, well Plano.  Mind me asking who fit you?
I was actually fit a year ago when I lived in NM, probably won't help you too much...

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

#16 philred

philred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168357

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

second what jdzeeb said about 3/8 increments, im 6ft 5 and have the same problem; short irons feel short mid irons great then long irons feel like telephone poles! but youd need to get a good club builder to do it though to swingweight them all the same and maintain a consistent shaft flex throughout the set.

#17 bellairemi

bellairemi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5851
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

I agree with the 3/8ths - I'm 6'3 with a 38" WTF and my long irons were always too long and my short irons too short.  Going to 3/8ths solved this.

#18 AmazinBlue

AmazinBlue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93222
  • Ebay ID:welchjs
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'm 6'3" with a WTF of 36.5" with golf shoes on.  I have played 1/2" over for 20 years.  I tried 1" over and it really messed with posture and impact.  The key is your posture and its consistency.  At one time I did a PING fitting and they suggested 1.5" over and a Silver dot 4* up.  I have played as much as 4* up and 3/4" long, but 1/2" over and 3* up is perfect for me.  I have a smooth transition and create pretty goof clubhead speed.  At address my clubs look at least 2* too upright, but at impactr they're perfect.  A lot of toe-drop in my swing I guess.
Callaway BB Alpha 9* ATX Tour Green
Callaway X2 Hot 3  ATX Tour Green
Titleist 913 Hd RIP Phenom 80g S
Adams CMB 5-GW KBS Tour R+
Putter: Versa 1W + 37g lead powder
Cleveland CG16 54, 58 TI S400 ss

#19 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Not trying to be a tool, but as a mid capper do you really think 1/4" is going to make a difference you can notice?

#20 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postmac94, on 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Not trying to be a tool, but as a mid capper do you really think 1/4" is going to make a difference you can notice?

I think in your shorter irons you would, but anything 7 iron or longer probably not much.

Ping G25 9.5* w/ TFC
Ping G15 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping G15 4-SW w/ AWT
Ping Tour S Rustique 60* w/ DG Spinner
Ping Anser 2 BeCu

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 dlovely

dlovely

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120970

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

i'm 5'11 and was fitted for mizuno mp-53's at 3/4" over and 1 up.  i've been recently choking down on them 3/4" and hitting the ball much better but i'm not sure it's something i should permanently look to change.  should i cut them down or just grip down on them?  just annoyed that i'm 2nd guessing the fitting and maybe should get fitted again somewhere else.

#22 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

You may want to base the 3/8" increments off of a fitted 7 iron.  When using 3/8" increments from the 5 iron, I have found the PW and 9 iron to play entirely too soft in comparison to the rest of the set.  This also provides a more balanced set with the 8, 9, PW being slightly longer and the 6, 5, and 4 irons being slightly shorter.  Also much easier to build to a desired swingweight and flex.

Be generous when fitting the 7 iron length.  Start with a length way longer and work your way down, not shorter working your way longer.

#23 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm 6'1" and was fit to standard with a 37.5 wrist to floor. It's all in how the club gets swung that makes a greater difference than just the wrist to floor measurement (something a good fitter will understand and observe).

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#24 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I am 6'5, not sure what my WTF # is but it's + 1 inch on the Ping scale.  I play my irons +3/4 38.5 5 iron.  I have never felt my irons were too long for me.  I do like the idea of staying at the + 3/4 length for 7-AW and increasing by 3/8 4i-6i for better control.
Callaway RFE 9.5* Fubuki Alpha 70X
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood UST Tour 86gr
Callaway X2Hot 19*  & X2Hot Pro 23
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
YES! Tracy
Vokey 52.08 & 58.08

#25 stealthrt91

stealthrt91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104856
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm 6'5" with wrist 38" from floor and play +1" w/2* upright.  My fittings all call for +3/4" in my irons but I prefer the +1" because it actually feels better on my back (herniated L5/S1 a few years back).  I find no problem with a little extra length in the irons.  Woods on the other hand are a different story, I play all of those standard length.

Cobra ZL Encore 10.5 / Oban Devotion
TEE XCG-V 13* / Diamana Blueboard x5ct
Ping G25 20* / Oban Devotion
2014 TM CB's / C-Taper
Hakusa & Chikara Wedges
Odyssey F7 / Super StrokeFlatso

#26 jones137

jones137

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24427
  • Ebay ID:roberson28
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

6'3", wtf of 33.5" long arm crew checkin in......play mine +1/4". I'd rely on your swing coach to be honest.
Taylormade SLDR 12* GD Tour DI 7X
Taylormade V-Steel 13* Proforce V2 86X
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto 95x
Ping i20 4-PW CFS X
Cleveland CG16 Tour Issue 56*, 60* X100
Cameron Coronado 35"

#27 TLT_Dan

TLT_Dan

TLT_DAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43988
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostSherm, on 25 February 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Stats: 6'4" and long arms. Wrist to floor is just shy of 36 1/2.  Mid capper.  Fast smooth swinger.

Went for an iron fitting this past week. Walked away with a 6 iron demo from the fitter.  Callaway X Forged with Aerotech Steelfiber i110 shaft 3/4" over, Iomic grip. Swing weight around d4 i think (but totally not sure as I know nothing about swing weight). Bent 2 degrees upright. Flex on shaft is X stiff.

I worked with the club all weekend and even worked with my swing coach. He isnt happy about the extra length. But club felt good.

So to my forum brothers...... I am less concerned about the club head. I am great with the shaft (best feeling shaft I have ever swung).  What I need help with is the 3/4" over.

I am worried that my long irons will get too long with this extra length. Plus, my coach wasnt too keen on the extra length either.  Should I back off the length a go 1/4" or 1/2"?  A pro/friend of mine who is built like me plays standard length and is also encouraging me to play standard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh...my current irons are standard length Titleist CB's.

You do want to be standing athletically, not hunched over - otherwise you will not get a proper turn.
The combination of length and lie is what is important.

#28 jetgolfer

jetgolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138369

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm 6'3 and WTF I have no idea. I have always played standard and 2 flat. I think it all depends on your swing and what is comfortable. I just went to a fitter at The Woodlands in Houston and we used everything. Standard length felt great and my trackman numbers said the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors