Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Please help: S300 vs R300 85-87 mph 6 iron swing speed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tfstone

tfstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194672
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Please help me with choosing a shaft. I am between a S300 vs R300. My 6 iron swing speed is  85-87 mph.

Is it really that big of a difference (stiffness, feel)? Somehow my R300 shaft I have in my old clubs feels soft at time. On the other hand I do not want to have a shaft that feels too stiff. Which side would you rather err on.

HCP 11
Driver G25 Ping tour shaft stiff (loving it)
Misses are usually left (argument for S300)

Any help appreciated. Thank you!!!

p.s

Yes, testing would obviously be advisable. Not possible.
Yes, I am aware that swing speed is not the only important parameter. Please use given info.
No other shafts are considered.
Yes, I have read every post concerning this topic.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

For years, due to tempo, I have been stuck between "S" and "X" shafts, as both profiles vary per manufacture.  IMO swing speed only plays an influential role when dealing with a nice fluid "Els" style swing.  If you're a hitter with a faster than normal transition and quick hands through the hitting area, go with "S" otherwise "R".
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#3 TFCC South

TFCC South

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194516
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

What about soft stepping the S300's?   You improve on the "softness" you feel with the current R300's without needing to step up completely to a stiff shaft.

#4 tfstone

tfstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

G

View PostPepperturbo, on 25 February 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

For years, due to tempo, I have been stuck between "S" and "X" shafts, as both profiles vary per manufacture.  IMO swing speed only plays an influential role when dealing with a nice fluid "Els" style swing.  If you're a hitter with a faster than normal transition and quick hands through the hitting area, go with "S" otherwise "R".

Thank you! Yes! Quick hands / efficient release. I am leaning - as you recommended - towards S. Still worried if  I can properly load the club and an overall hard feeling.

#5 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 11,999 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

If your swing mechanics are as "you" stated, loading the shaft should not be a problem.  As for hard feeling, that's a matter of patience and time to get use to how a shaft feels.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 25 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#6 kb24ismvp

kb24ismvp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26812
  • Ebay ID:kb24ismvp
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

all about feel and balance my friend, every watch what luke donald uses?  S300, his 6 iron speed is 93 MPH

#7 FalconF4F

FalconF4F

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67833
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

The first sticky in this forum section is saying it all... Average joe swings stiff and below..

Back to the question.. The question I want to ask for loading you shaft is how fast is your swing (more swinger or more hitter) because this has still nothing to do with your hand action.. Next to that, is the transition smooth or hard.. How do spin number look like with the 2 different shafts? What swing weight you want to be playing (SW is an Hugh factor in loading shafts properly because we need mass to do that).. Playing length of your #6 iron?

Your driver is a stiff flex.. Is that label wise or cpm measured? Also, stock factory shaft or custom?

Please understand that a proper fitting requires so much info that making a pick based on this info you have now is simply impossible...

My 2 cents,
Falcon

#8 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I am the same as you, a tweener. I own and play different sets of irons, one set with DG R300 and two sets with DG S300. I am a smooth swinger with a smooth transistion but have no trouble playing DG S300. The difference is ball flight is lower with DG S300 which I like because I am a high ball hitter, I have no trouble varying trajectory with this shaft. If I had to do it from the start I would soft step the DG S300. If not that then I could live happly with DG S300, I like the little heavier weight but that might be all in my head.
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#9 tfstone

tfstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostFalconF4F, on 26 February 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

The first sticky in this forum section is saying it all... Average joe swings stiff and below..

Back to the question.. The question I want to ask for loading you shaft is how fast is your swing (more swinger or more hitter) because this has still nothing to do with your hand action.. Next to that, is the transition smooth or hard.. How do spin number look like with the 2 different shafts? What swing weight you want to be playing (SW is an Hugh factor in loading shafts properly because we need mass to do that).. Playing length of your #6 iron?

Your driver is a stiff flex.. Is that label wise or cpm measured? Also, stock factory shaft or custom?

Please understand that a proper fitting requires so much info that making a pick based on this info you have now is simply impossible...

My 2 cents,
Falcon

Thank's for your input! All the answers made me realize that I have to get both shafts and do a Trackman session. I guess I'm right in between shafts and it all comes down to feel. Probably soft-stepping is the way to go. Never thought about that.

To answer Falcons question:
+ 6 iron 160 m (175 yard). Medium to high ball flight
+ Ping TFC 169F Tour graphite shaft, stiff
+ Never thought about SW. I'm currently playing stock MP 58 and want to move to MP 64.
+ No idea about my spin rates. Smash factor with 6 iron around 1.35-1.37

I like to swing the regular shaft, but I despise the feeling of "whipping / bending" on flush shots.

#10 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

You have sufficient club head speed to comfortably fit into a stiff flex (even an X flex in some models). The thing you need to confirm is what type of shaft is the right fit for your game. Swing speed is important but getting the right shaft is a blend of swing speed, shaft weight and shaft tip stiffness (bend profile). I urge you to take advantage of the Mizuno DNA system (there are two close by) and you will quickly identify the most appropriate shaft for your game.

Edited by DaveMac, 26 February 2013 - 09:59 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 tfstone

tfstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thank you

View PostDaveMac, on 26 February 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

You have sufficient club head speed to comfortably fit into a stiff flex (even an X flex in some models). The thing you need to confirm is what type of shaft is the right fit for your game. Swing speed is important but getting the right shaft is a blend of swing speed, shaft weight and shaft tip stiffness (bend profile). I urge you to take advantage of the Mizuno DNA system (there are two close by) and you will quickly identify the most appropriate shaft for your game.

My problem is, that where I live golf clubs are double the price than in the UK / US. I am not buying Mizuno clubs at a local store for EUR 1200 if I can get them online in the UK (inclusive free delivery to mainland Europe) for 500. What I despise is going to a local shop, get fitted and buy online. Looks like I have to find a fitter that charges for fitting only, without selling the clubs.

The Mizuno DNA video posted above looks cool!

#12 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I understand your dilemma.
Four options:
  • Get a DNA fitting locally and ask for a price match deal (retailers must know you can buy from the UK) I would be surprised if they would not allow you a quick test for free (the basic DNA test can be done in minutes )
  • Pay for a DNA fitting locally then buy from an online retailer
  • Travel to a Mizuno regional fitting centre (There is a charge and closest centre is Munich) then buy from an online retailer
  • Have a local club builder do a trackman shaft fitting for you (then) then buy from an online retailer

Edited by DaveMac, 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#13 tfstone

tfstone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostDaveMac, on 26 February 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I understand your dilemma.
Four options:
  • Get a DNA fitting locally and ask for a price match deal (retailers must know you can buy from the UK) I would be surprised if they would not allow you a quick test for free (the basic DNA test can be done in minutes )
  • Pay for a DNA fitting locally then buy from an online retailer
  • Travel to a Mizuno regional fitting centre (There is a charge and closest centre is Munich) then buy from an online retailer
  • Have a local club builder do a trackman shaft fitting for you (then) then buy from an online retailer

Thank's for the Munich hint. Will keep that in mind for the future. I actually did the most obvious (took me two days to figure that out ;-) ). Wrote an email to the Pro that coaches me sometimes. I just hat a Trackman session with her last week. She recommended stiff.

#14 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 11,999 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

When someone is borderline "R" vs. "S", it comes down to their ability to smooth out swing mechanics and square the face.  So, to make "R" work, you need a smooth full transition, and must slow the hands to wait for the shaft/head to catch up.  With "S", mechanics are not nearly as temperamental.
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors