Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Age and income

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 devan

devan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223875
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I get the impression that a lot of posters on this board are older and have big incomes. Younger people in my area wear cargo shorts or jeans. I know of only one private course that has a dress code. In colder weather probably 90% of the golfers, young or old wear jeans. A few years ago almost everyone wore suits to church,  At my church most people wear jeans. Most civic clubs are hurting to survive and must cater to the young.  If this trend continues, most private clubs will have to relax there dress codes.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

College Golfer and Loving it

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

But honestly you can find decent looking golf clothes for a very reasonable price at a place like Kohl's. No excuse for looking like a slob

#3 lefty-golfer

lefty-golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227003
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

i don't ever see jeans as part of the on course dress code, cargos as a rule don't bother me but whatever. i can say at my club they have relaxed the dress code for dinning to include jeans and generally being well dressed. ripped up beat up jeans won't get you in but nice jeans with an appropriate shirt are good to go. splitting hairs maybe but most of the younger members (myself included) are jeans people, it is not a financial matter it is a lifestyle. the request from the club was how do we get more usage in the dinning room...and the was the overwelming response from the u45 crowd.

i think to a large degree it has been a good thing, numbers are up during the winter months when you actually have to go out of your way to go to the club. i have seen nobody that looks what i would call shabby (i am sure some others from an older generation would not agree) but i have seen more families there with kids then i can remember in the last 5 to 7 years.

#4 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I am middle aged and don't have a ton of free income being a father of 3. I shop thifty and look for sales so i look good on the course.

We still have a lot that wear suites to church, and no one at the club i belong to wears jeans even when cold. They wear warmer pants or rain pants over top to keep warmer.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#5 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

View Postdevan, on 25 February 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I get the impression that a lot of posters on this board are older and have big incomes. Younger people in my area wear cargo shorts or jeans. I know of only one private course that has a dress code. In colder weather probably 90% of the golfers, young or old wear jeans. A few years ago almost everyone wore suits to church,  At my church most people wear jeans. Most civic clubs are hurting to survive and must cater to the young.  If this trend continues, most private clubs will have to relax there dress codes.

It's not about income.  Since one can buy appropriate golf attire at reasonable prices, depending on where you shop and what brands you look at.

What's really going on is a regional and generational difference in attitudes.

Older (Gen X and older) people are comfortable with the notion that there as certain situations where we are free to dress as we wish....and other situations where we must dress more formally as a courtesy to others, and out of respect to where we find ourselves.

In my experience, younger people tend to be more self absorbed and narcissistic.  ("It's my Universe, and you just get to live in it.")   More identified with the notion that their own preferences in a situation to should be most important.  Uncomfortable with the notion that they should alter their own behavior or those preferences out of deference to others.

For example, you act as if dressing casually to church is nothing but a marketing ploy to make attendance more comfortable and convenient to younger people.  Who either don't own...or don't want to be bothered with....semi-formal clothing. Whereas to those of my parents generation (Baptists) wearing casual clothes to Sunday services would have been an unthinkable act of disrespect to God, and to the rest of the Church community.  As the semi-formal dress is seen as an act of respect and humility.

Unless one is going into a situation where the goal is the conspicuous display of wealth, one can always find affordable ways of dressing appropriately.   But there are, in my experience, definite generational differences with respect to recognizing limits, and honoring community ties.  Because that is what formal and semi-formal dress really speak to.   A recognition that there are somethings more important than my own convenience and comfort.

Edited by kellygreen, 25 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5*/ Fuji MS 7.3 TS X                 Titleist 913Fd 13.5*/Fuji MS 8.3 TS X                 Titleist 913F 19*/Fuji MS 8.2 TS X                 Mizuno MP-4 (3)-PW/ PX 6.5                 Mizuno MP T-4: 50,56, (60)/ PX 6.5                 Scotty Cameron Futura X, 34"

#6 tbowles411

tbowles411

Sandra Gal is German from the nose up...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1276

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Kohls or Walmart is my place of choice.  Why?  I have a family and a VERY growing boy.  So, the money definately isn't there!  But on the flipside, we can dress as we wish to Church to get you in the building to make those attending feel more comfortable.  I dress the same for Church as I do for golf, though I've walked in the building in jeans.  Attendance and the message is more important than appearance, as long as you're not wearing something inappropriate (too revealing).  Our Church knows it and has changed.

But I digress.  You can dress inexpensively if you look around and aren't tied to a name brand.  And even if you want a name brand, you can look for a sale or one season old model.  That's another option of mine.  No need to spend big bucks on what you wear just to look the part.

#7 Curtis_Kirk

Curtis_Kirk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139094
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'm middle age and make a pretty decent income.  My office is pretty casual so I wear jeans and button down shirts to work most days.  So, on work days when I golf (which is probably three days each week), I change my shirt and wear jeans most of the time.  On the weekend, I wear slacks.  Of course, I play a public course with no dress code.  It makes no difference to me or to any of my normal playing partners.  It does go without saying that if we are playing a nicer course, I always wear golf pants (although, I like plaids, and I'm not sure how they look any more appropriate than nice jeans).

#8 Mainlinegolfer

Mainlinegolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18789
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postdevan, on 25 February 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Really?  I think most are younger and don't.

And how could you possibly have missed this 64 page thread? "Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?"  http://www.golfwrx.c...463__hl__+jeans  Unbelievable, but true, 64 pages! (so far).

Edited by Mainlinegolfer, 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#9 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• 1,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm in the 25-30 year old age group, with my wife's income factored in we do well.  I'm not sure what encompasses BIG income as that can mean different amounts to different people.  We do not make BIG money, but we do very well, especially for our ages.

That being said I do not think money has anything to do with dress, it has more to do with respect.  I've had friends in my age group who make decent money (engineers, CRNPs, etc) show up to my club wearing cargo shorts....they have money, that isn't the issue, I mean if you have a new 3-Series you can swing a pair of shorts.  The problem is that their thinking is that it isn't such a big deal and that nobody really cares anymore.  However, at my club and the two or four other clubs I play at with friends, they all have and enforce their dress codes.  My place and another they enforce it with an iron fist.

Like many people said it is mental and generational.  The typical person my age is arrogant as they have been catered to their whole life, and when someone calls them out on it they claim to be oblivious or that others care too much.  It all comes down to being lazy.  I've said it many times, 95% of people less than 30 and many of my friends are lazy beyond belief.  Blame who you want, the people in question, but I blame our parents.  My parents babied myself and my brothers our whole lives.  It was always "oh, our son would never do that" "our son is an angel" blah blah blah.  My brothers and I were terrors growing up, but we always got away with it because our parents covered our a**es!  Luckily I had a waking up watching my older brother get in to a heap of trouble at an early age and it put me in a different mentality early in life.  Our generation was literally given the world too early and too easily and now we lack the ambition to work for and hold ourselves to a higher standard...and it is sad.  I have friends that would rather sit home and collect, play COD all day, not look for a job at all because it is easier and they can....

We've created a society of lazy self-righteous babies, plain and simple.  Because they had the opportunity to make and play by their own rules as children they believe that they can do so as adults.  I love the fact that some places still rest on their laurels and refuse to cave in to the demands of a lazy respect-less society.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#10 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Post_MS22_, on 25 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I'm in the 25-30 year old age group, with my wife's income factored in we do well.  I'm not sure what encompasses BIG income as that can mean different amounts to different people.  We do not make BIG money, but we do very well, especially for our ages.

That being said I do not think money has anything to do with dress, it has more to do with respect.  I've had friends in my age group who make decent money (engineers, CRNPs, etc) show up to my club wearing cargo shorts....they have money, that isn't the issue, I mean if you have a new 3-Series you can swing a pair of shorts.  The problem is that their thinking is that it isn't such a big deal and that nobody really cares anymore.  However, at my club and the two or four other clubs I play at with friends, they all have and enforce their dress codes.  My place and another they enforce it with an iron fist.

Like many people said it is mental and generational.  The typical person my age is arrogant as they have been catered to their whole life, and when someone calls them out on it they claim to be oblivious or that others care too much.  It all comes down to being lazy.  I've said it many times, 95% of people less than 30 and many of my friends are lazy beyond belief.  Blame who you want, the people in question, but I blame our parents.  My parents babied myself and my brothers our whole lives.  It was always "oh, our son would never do that" "our son is an angel" blah blah blah.  My brothers and I were terrors growing up, but we always got away with it because our parents covered our a**es!  Luckily I had a waking up watching my older brother get in to a heap of trouble at an early age and it put me in a different mentality early in life.  Our generation was literally given the world too early and too easily and now we lack the ambition to work for and hold ourselves to a higher standard...and it is sad.  I have friends that would rather sit home and collect, play COD all day, not look for a job at all because it is easier and they can....

We've created a society of lazy self-righteous babies, plain and simple.  Because they had the opportunity to make and play by their own rules as children they believe that they can do so as adults.  I love the fact that some places still rest on their laurels and refuse to cave in to the demands of a lazy respect-less society.

Sad, but true.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5*/ Fuji MS 7.3 TS X                 Titleist 913Fd 13.5*/Fuji MS 8.3 TS X                 Titleist 913F 19*/Fuji MS 8.2 TS X                 Mizuno MP-4 (3)-PW/ PX 6.5                 Mizuno MP T-4: 50,56, (60)/ PX 6.5                 Scotty Cameron Futura X, 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I don't choose to wear jeans but see nothing wrong with anyone wearing them though. I kind of feel... to each his own when it comes to clothes as long as they are not worn in an offensive manner.

#12 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I don't think the dress code is affected so much by income.  The wife and I make decent money but  I prefer to dress comfortably which lets me concenrate on my game.  In the winter I typically wear thicker nicer looking windpants, a long sleeve compression collared shirt and a fleece.  I rarely if ever tuck in my shirt but I never wear jeans.  Even if I made a lot more money I think I would still dress this way.  I just don't dig high dollar golf shirts with 100 dollar belts etc.  I don't think I could survive at most country clubs where they make you tuck in your shirt at the first tee.

I'm fine with jeans on the golf course as long as they aren't down around your ankles or have a ton of holes and rips in them.  I do think as the generations go on casual dress is more frequent in all venues.

Edited by CosmosMpower, 25 February 2013 - 10:20 AM.

TM SLDR 460 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini Driver 14*
Ping I20 20*
Ping G25 4-PW
Ping Gorge 50/54/58
Ping Anser IWI

#13 Roody

Roody

Shankopotamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'll be 40 later this year, and I believe you should dress "golf appropriate" whether you're playing the local muni, or a fancy country club. I think it's a respect thing. Jeans are not appropriate golf attire. If you can't afford a pair of khakis or golf shorts, you probably shouldn't be forking over the rest of your paycheck to play golf.
Index: 9.7
TaylorMade R9 TriSpeed
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 1 3w/5w
Callaway Apex irons
Callaway Jaws Wedges
Odyssey Black Series #7

#14 deck

deck

Major Winner

• 3,049 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123347
  • Handicap:9.4
  • Ebay ID:deck607
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I don't understand the hate of cargo shorts. I like them because I hate having things in my pockets. The pockets in cargo shorts is where I carry my tee, divot repair and ball mark. I cannot feel anything in those pockets so they do not bother me there.
SLDR 10' speeder 6.2
Wishon 949 16.5' 65g S
Wishon 775's 20 and 23.5 65g S
Wishon 575mmc's SL-S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
Ultimate Rocketbladez Grand Prize Winner

#15 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Point #1:  You don't have to spend a lot of money to dress nicely, on or off the golf course.

Point #2:  I don't think that the dress code is what ails declining country club memberships.

Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  TEE CB2, Motore F1
2i + 3i:  Ping Eye 2 SS
4i - SW:  Ping ISI BeCu
LW:  Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Dave Curry Big Oak Havana

#16 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Postdeck, on 25 February 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I don't understand the hate of cargo shorts. I like them because I hate having things in my pockets. The pockets in cargo shorts is where I carry my tee, divot repair and ball mark. I cannot feel anything in those pockets so they do not bother me there.

Clothes---especially in social situations---sends messages.  Messages about the wearer, and his or her mindset and intentions.

Typical golf attire, is an off-shoot of the "business casual" meme.   A style of dress that is relaxed, middle-to-upper-middle class but still conveys a sense of formality and respect for the situation you find yourself in, and the community you are interacting with.

Cargo shorts are more slacker/grunge meme.  A style of dress that began as a rejection of the class value structure and sense of respect for social limits that "business casual" is meant to embody.

So, someone who wears cargo shorts to golf course is (in many ways) doing somethign akin to showing up a funeral wearing red...or a woman showing up to wedding wearing black.

Some people won't care.  Others, will be deeply offended.

If you doubt that clothing sends messages, consider your reactions to the following hypotheticals.

You find yourself suddenly ill.  You go to the ER and find that you require emergency surgery.  The on-call surgeon comes to your bedside and introduces himself.

A.  He shows up the bedside dressed in a cargo shorts and a T-shirt, with hair down to his shoulders, an ear ring in one ear, and 3-days growth on his face.

B. He shows up to bedside dressed in an inner-city meme with obvious bling, pro sports casual clothing and over-sized jeans that are hanging well off his backside.

C. He shows up with clean surgical scrubs with a freshly laundered white coat over them.   Clean-shaven and with well-groomed office-length hair.

Every person's reaction to these three hypotheticals will be different...but everyone WILL have a reaction...and they WILL not be the same for all three.

Edited by kellygreen, 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#17 deck

deck

Major Winner

• 3,049 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123347
  • Handicap:9.4
  • Ebay ID:deck607
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

How do you say cargo shorts represent what you are saying about them? Because they have a pocket on the thigh? I
SLDR 10' speeder 6.2
Wishon 949 16.5' 65g S
Wishon 775's 20 and 23.5 65g S
Wishon 575mmc's SL-S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
Ultimate Rocketbladez Grand Prize Winner

#18 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I have a daughter in your age group, and two sons in the 20 to 25 age group.   this a great post, thank you for having the "nads" to post your thoughts.
Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#19 TheU

TheU

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94904
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am in the 25-30 age bracket and have a very good household income...I never wear jeans or cargo shorts to the course because I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them. I play 95%+ of my rounds at private courses, so it wouldn't fly anyway. If I'm at a muni that doesn't care about dress code, I'm personally not offended when I see someone wearing the aforementioned. I guess what it really comes down to is how you carry yourself. There is being a slob and there is making an effort. I would also say that the ability and speed of play is a factor...somewhat on a sliding scale. If you are a 2 and play quickly/respectfully, then you can probably get away with being somewhat sloppy in your dress. If you are an 18 and play slow and make no effort to play ready golf, then you are the problem "guy" that ruins it for everyone.

#20 _MS22_

_MS22_

• 1,965 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postdeck, on 25 February 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

They look sloppy.  Sloppy shorts are not conducive to proper shirts and belts.  Nobody wants to see a 2" wide canvas belt with and a crumpled polo tucked into cargos at their club.  It is a matter of snowballing, first you let the cargos become commonplace then denim, then cutoff tees......I do not see the need to have 6 pockets for a round of golf.  I carry cash in my back pocket, two tees in my left and my divot/ball mark took clipped to my right.  Done.

Look at the issue with Jordan at a club in Miami a couple months ago.  People are coming to his defense and he is making it look like he is a victim because nobody "told" him until the 11th hole...How hard is it to look up the number or check the website of the place you are a GUEST at and see if they have a dress policy?  And if they do, just abide by it.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Postdeck, on 25 February 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

How do you say cargo shorts represent what you are saying about them? Because they have a pocket on the thigh? I

See the edited post above.

People make associations based upon the style that a particular article of clothing is most commonly a part of, and what that style is trying to communicate.

In the minds of people who are Gen X and older, cargo shorts are VERY closely associated with slacker/grunge meme that burst into national consciousness in the early 1990s, and its rejection of middle-class, upward mobility and its perceived preoccupation with careerism and materialism.

You might not see it that way...but like a tongue stud or a "tramp stamp"....cargo shorts communicate a very strong message to certain people.

...and when you dress outside of what is considered conventional dress for a particular environment, you need to be prepared for the strong emotions that it can provoke.

#22 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Most of this as been covered numerous times in the previously mentioned jeans thread, but I really believe style of dress is probably more related to geographic location than age/money. Here in the plains states, jeans are very common everywhere and on everyone. I think this is a reflection on the area being agriculture based. Jeans are just simply a way of life, and nobody really even notices.

In reference to the church, our minister said when I asked him his thoughts" I would rather have you there wearing jeans than not there at all".
Titleist 910D2 8.5* Diamana D+
Titleist 910F 15* GD YSQ
Titleist 910H 17* Diamana Kai'li 80
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
Putter changes constantly
Mizuno MP-R12 53 & 58

#23 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 312

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Wow!! An honest, very well written and expressed post.  I commend you for calling out those in your generation (including you and your brother) that need it.  That said, my generation ( I am probably your parents age) have some pretty lazy and self entitled members as well.

But it is refreshing for once to see someone point the finger at themsleves instead of everyone else.  I commend you on figuring it out before you made some of the same mistakes as your brother.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#24 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Most of this as been covered numerous times in the previously mentioned jeans thread, but I really believe style of dress is probably more related to geographic location than age/money. Here in the plains states, jeans are very common everywhere and on everyone. I think this is a reflection on the area being agriculture based. Jeans are just simply a way of life, and nobody really even notices.

In reference to the church, our minister said when I asked him his thoughts" I would rather have you there wearing jeans than not there at all".

My point isn't that one style of dress is better than any other...in any absolute sense.

My point was that different communities have different standards of dress, and different values....and they tend to associate conforming with that standard of dress, with acceptance of those values.   Rejecting that standard with rejection of those values.

If everyone in the church community is on-board with casual dress....fine.   But if someone insists upon going to church dressed casually, in community that requires semi-formal dress....not-so-fine.

#25 _MS22_

_MS22_

• 1,965 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postjustaman5, on 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

I have a daughter in your age group, and two sons in the 20 to 25 age group.   this a great post, thank you for having the "nads" to post your thoughts.

I appreciate when people actually see the side of my generation that I interact with.  So often I feel like an old curmudgeon among my peers.  It saddens me when of the last 18 interns I've hired at the graduate level being externs I've had to let 15 go early.  They want to sit around on Facebook all day.  They are sloppy and not accountable for their work.  They plain and simple refuse to properly document things according to SOPs that exist for legal purposes because it is tedious and takes time....they show up hungover and think it is an excuse.

Now I love my parents.  They rock.  They've helped me out in ways they don't understand.  But my older brother still has his problems at 32, and it all stems from them ALWAYS bailing him out, and they still do to this day.  Now I know they do it because they love him and see the best in him and they'll never give up on him but at some point you need to be accountable yourself.  Because they always fell on the sword he is lazy.  Why get a job when you've got a free ride?  I see it with so many of my friends the same way.  They've racked up crazy school debt they can't pay off and their parents at 60 are taking a line of home equity to help, or borrowing against their retirement....NO....get a second job a few nights a week, cancel the $200/mo cell phone bill, and pay your bills on your own!!

The lack of respect for things as simple as a dress code, I feel, can all be tracked back to this false sense of entitlement our wonderful parents have bestowed upon us.  We let it get to our heads.  Our parents thought by giving us the world they were doing the right thing, giving us things they never had.  But we grew up not wanting more.  We were satisfied and never hungry, and that is the death of desire.  We raised a generation of lazy complacent people.  They always got their way, parents gave in to their pouting, whatever have you but it all lead to people thinking the rules can and should be bent for them.  Sad.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

#26 _MS22_

_MS22_

• 1,965 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 25 February 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

But it is refreshing for once to see someone point the finger at themsleves instead of everyone else.  I commend you on figuring it out before you made some of the same mistakes as your brother.

Thanks!

I was 14 watching him at 18 blow a scholarship to school because of pills and alcohol.  I heard my uncle telling my dad let him take the year off and work with him, he owns a construction business, saying he'll teach him hard work and set him straight.  I got curious and figured I'd ask to take the job instead.  He worked me like a mule for 4 years laboring with his masons and out-sourcing me a few times to a blacktopping guy....I made a ton of cash for a kid that age but it put the world in perspective.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:

#27 ebr2384

ebr2384

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85029
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

A bit surprised on the position of many against cargo style shorts.  IZOD actually makes cargo style golf shorts, which are well fitting (not baggy and around knee length  and in a performance material.  I own 3 of these and agree with the poster who likes having the thigh pocket for comfort reasons.   I dont wear denim on the golf course, mostly because they are uncomfortable in my opinion to play golf and honestly seem out of place (mostly due to customs) but I dont care if someone wants to play in them.

#28 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Like echoed before, age and income have nothing to do with the way you dress.  Courses, especially private courses, can insist upon a specific type of dress code for their place of business.  Dress codes, btw, have absolutely no validity in why some clubs have come under hard economic times.  Most of the clubs, especially in my area, are under hard economic times because people in general, have come under hard economic times, and have had to cut back and country club memberships are one of the major things to cut back on if you must cut back.

One of the major, major reasons why private clubs are hurting have to do Corporate memberships.  Years ago, your middle-market bank president, your regional manufactring rep, your small company CFO all had country club memberships run through the business as "perks" and ways to meet people and network.  Corporations have cut back on these memberships BIG TIME as they try to cut expenses.

You can buy a pair of chinos or "khakis" brand new at Old Navy for 14.99.  You can go to TJ Max or Walmart if you must and buy appropriate (for that club or course) golf club attire and spend far less than you would on a pair of Levi's.  Its about upholding a standard of appropriateness for clubs, not discrimination of people of age or income.  If you're feeling self righteous and don't want to conform to a club, just go play a municipal course. There is nothing wrong with that.  But don't blame courses or clubs for upholding traditions that have been around for multiple multiple decades.

#29 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 25 February 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

My point isn't that one style of dress is better than any other...in any absolute sense.

My point was that different communities have different standards of dress, and different values....and they tend to associate conforming with that standard of dress, with acceptance of those values.   Rejecting that standard with rejection of those values.

If everyone in the church community is on-board with casual dress....fine.   But if someone insists upon going to church dressed casually, in community that requires semi-formal dress....not-so-fine.

I agree with you Kelly, this basically sums up a dress code. And I think that most that do wear jeans or cargos are simply saying, if a particular course has a dress code, they conform to that code. But if there is no dress code, wearing jeans or cargos doesn't mean that person is a slob or bad person.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 25 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

Titleist 910D2 8.5* Diamana D+
Titleist 910F 15* GD YSQ
Titleist 910H 17* Diamana Kai'li 80
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
Putter changes constantly
Mizuno MP-R12 53 & 58

#30 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

I would NEVER have guessed your age from the above post. My hat is off to you, you're one bright young man. I'm predicting a continued and very successful future.

Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors