Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Good old Johnny


  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Big L

Big L

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117355
  • Joined: 11/11/2010
  • Location:Midlothian, Va
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostHuskypride28, on 25 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

I think it was also the format of match play and less players in the field than a normal weekend.  When you only have a few players in the field, there's more opportunity for him to gripe about something.  But I did agree with his comments on slow play.  I think the more it's talked about the more the PGA will do somehting about it.

That makes sense, just felt like he was more critical than usual and had a few more " I'd ..." comments

TM R9460 10.5*
Titleist 906F4 15.5* Ping I15 18.5*
Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 22*
Ping I20 5-UW
Ping Redwood Anser
Cleveland CG16 54* & 58*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 2putttom

2putttom

    American born Aussie at heart

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, Bodega Bay Golf Links
  • Handicap:10.2
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostC. Freeman, on 24 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Yes, but at least he shut down Jacobsen and his absurd comment about someone (I forget who) being able to compete in the Octagon in MMA.  Peter deserved to be made fun of after that.
I liked it.It gets the point across.
Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

#33 moonshine

moonshine

    The Trace!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Prattville, AL
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Did he say anything "interesting" after tw and rm went out early?

#34 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
  • Joined: 12/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Don't like Miller but I think it's fantastic he called the slowness out.

#35 PaulFitz

PaulFitz

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126262
  • Joined: 04/09/2011
  • Location:Charlotte, NC
  • Ebay ID:cameronfreak4
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postttm27, on 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Yeah I kinda thought the same thing.  He was all over Webb about slow play.  And Jason Day.

For good reason. Especially Simpson. PGA Tour really needs to do something about pace of play. It trickles down. College golf is absurdly slow right now. Most rounds take 5-5.5 hours, and most tournaments have you playing 36 a day. Sure, the AJGA is trying to help, but the PGA Tour needs to step up and set a precedent  for pace of play.


#36 Vindog

Vindog

    Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 1868

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostPaulFitz, on 25 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postttm27, on 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Yeah I kinda thought the same thing.  He was all over Webb about slow play.  And Jason Day.

For good reason. Especially Simpson. PGA Tour really needs to do something about pace of play. It trickles down. College golf is absurdly slow right now. Most rounds take 5-5.5 hours, and most tournaments have you playing 36 a day. Sure, the AJGA is trying to help, but the PGA Tour needs to step up and set a precedent  for pace of play.

Why Especially Simpson?  He wasn't even the slowest guy out there.  Why no mention of GMac?   GMac and Day were so slow they were holding Webb up!!

If the Am and College ranks want to mitigate slow play then they can by all rights do so.  If it bothers them, let them govern it.  They need to take the initiative and responsibility themselves.  Why does it fall on the responsibility of the PGA Tour to enforce pace of play in the AM ranks?

Edited by Vindog, 25 February 2013 - 04:09 PM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#37 Bad9

Bad9

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Joined: 09/21/2009
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Agreed Vindog. I am a Mcdowell fan fan but holy crap he plays slow!
Ping Anser 10.5/Graman UL440 r flex
Ping Anser 5w/Xcaliber FW regular flex
KE4 4h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/AWR regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06
iWedge 54&58/FST Hi Rev regular flex

#38 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

    I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
  • Joined: 03/19/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1114

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Is GMac particularly slow?
I didn't remember him being so.  The times I've heard about that, he was in a group with Furyk and Day (notoriously slow players).
Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#39 PaulFitz

PaulFitz

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126262
  • Joined: 04/09/2011
  • Location:Charlotte, NC
  • Ebay ID:cameronfreak4
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostVindog, on 25 February 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostPaulFitz, on 25 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

View Postttm27, on 24 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Yeah I kinda thought the same thing.  He was all over Webb about slow play.  And Jason Day.

For good reason. Especially Simpson. PGA Tour really needs to do something about pace of play. It trickles down. College golf is absurdly slow right now. Most rounds take 5-5.5 hours, and most tournaments have you playing 36 a day. Sure, the AJGA is trying to help, but the PGA Tour needs to step up and set a precedent  for pace of play.

Why Especially Simpson?  He wasn't even the slowest guy out there.  Why no mention of GMac?   GMac and Day were so slow they were holding Webb up!!

If the Am and College ranks want to mitigate slow play then they can by all rights do so.  If it bothers them, let them govern it.  They need to take the initiative and responsibility themselves.  Why does it fall on the responsibility of the PGA Tour to enforce pace of play in the AM ranks?

I guess what I was trying to say is that if the PGA Tour begins to enforce pace of play then big amateur tournaments and collegiate tournaments will take notice and hopefully follow suit.

#40 Vindog

Vindog

    Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 1868

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 25 February 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Is GMac particularly slow?
I didn't remember him being so.  The times I've heard about that, he was in a group with Furyk and Day (notoriously slow players).

Yes, he is.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Stylez

Stylez

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223067
  • Joined: 01/21/2013
  • Location:Northeast
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

I find Johnny amusing as hell. Walks and talks like he is swinging to the knees. Funny as hell. He may say some thing you disagree with but better to have what he thinks than to say the politically correct bs you get from most people. He does it to amuse himself and well why not? I rather enjoy it as well.

#42 Brock Savage

Brock Savage

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179316
  • Joined: 05/06/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 432

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

As a viewer, I find Miller annoying, because he's always trying to predict the outcome of a shot, to show how smart he his, but he always leaves himself an out, so he's never wrong.  "The grass will grab the head of the club and shut the face, and that will make the shot go left of the target.  But who knows, he may hit it within five feet."

If I were one of the announcers on his team, I would find him infuriating, because he hardly ever just asks them to comment on the situation.  Instead, he asks them to comment on what HE thinks about the situation.  "That's a hook lie, isn't it, Rog?"  "He's going to have a lot of trouble getting it close from there, huh, Rog?"

#43 Vindog

Vindog

    Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 1868

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostBrock Savage, on 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

As a viewer, I find Miller annoying, because he's always trying to predict the outcome of a shot, to show how smart he his, but he always leaves himself an out, so he's never wrong.  "The grass will grab the head of the club and shut the face, and that will make the shot go left of the target.  But who knows, he may hit it within five feet."

If I were one of the announcers on his team, I would find him infuriating, because he hardly ever just asks them to comment on the situation.  Instead, he asks them to comment on what HE thinks about the situation.  "That's a hook lie, isn't it, Rog?"  "He's going to have a lot of trouble getting it close from there, huh, Rog?"

Everyone here does the same thing when we attempt to predict the future.  Or at least the smart ones do.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#44 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I met Johnny at the U.S. Open at Bethpage at the Lexus hospitality tent.  Saw him another day just walking around and he talked to me for 20 minutes about GPS and other golf apps for the iPhone.  Could not have been a nicer or more humble guy.

#45 MizzyMan

MizzyMan

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62891
  • Joined: 08/11/2008
  • Location:Dallas, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postshortstop20, on 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I like Johnny when he's providing golf commentary.

I hate Johnny when he's providing swing commentary.

This. Some of his swing commentary is laughably wrong. Having been a great player surely helps you have a good understanding of the swing, but you still have to do some homework or at least watch something in slow motion and/or with a critical and objective eye before you can expect the viewers to treat everything you say as gospel.


#46 george49

george49

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126448
  • Joined: 04/12/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

How bout comment winning 1 major? In his time you would have to be asked to be interviewed. Today's players are anointed great or one of the best without merit. Think it was made when McDowell was on screen

#47 cardoustie

cardoustie

    Unbeatable Twosome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:North of Toronto Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I met Johnny at the U.S. Open at Bethpage at the Lexus hospitality tent.  Saw him another day just walking around and he talked to me for 20 minutes about GPS and other golf apps for the iPhone.  Could not have been a nicer or more humble guy.


Sheldon

I have also spent about 30 mins with him (got a lesson at a tradeshow and we talked the US Open) ... and I guarantee everyone here would love the man if they spent time with him in person.  Friendly, funny, knowledgable.  His delivery can be grating at time but so what.  Would you rather hear McCord's nonsense or Nantz sucking up all the time

Miller was the best player in the world from 73 to 76, he knows of what he speaks.   PS Same reason I like Faldo.  When you've been the best you have simply earned the right to offer opinion and talk about yourself.  
ie Nicklaus is a legend but he can't answer a Question without interjecting himself into it .. still doesn't make me like him any less

Edited by cardoustie, 27 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Titleist 10.5* 910 D2 Fuji TS 757x
Ping G25 4w Speeder TS 869x
PIng G25 20* Speeder TS FTBx
Ping Rapture J 4 iron
Vokey TVD sm4 M 50 & 54 + T62
Ping S55's Nippon 1150gh X

#48 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 27 February 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I met Johnny at the U.S. Open at Bethpage at the Lexus hospitality tent.  Saw him another day just walking around and he talked to me for 20 minutes about GPS and other golf apps for the iPhone.  Could not have been a nicer or more humble guy.


Sheldon

I have also spent about 30 mins with him (got a lesson at a tradeshow and we talked the US Open) ... and I guarantee everyone here would love the man if they spent time with him in person.  Friendly, funny, knowledgable.  His delivery can be grating at time but so what.  Would you rather hear McCord's nonsense or Nantz sucking up all the time

Miller was the best player in the world from 73 to 76, he knows of what he speaks.   PS Same reason I like Faldo.  When you've been the best you have simply earned the right to offer opinion and talk about yourself.  
ie Nicklaus is a legend but he can't answer a Question without interjecting himself into it .. still doesn't make me like him any less
Exactly!  For sure most haters would change their tune if they met Johnny.  Johnny is also a great family man and loves to talk about his wife and kids.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors