Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

"I Play a Distance Iron" - Jason Day - "I call BS" - Me

142 replies to this topic

#121 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 10 March 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

View PostSurfinTurf, on 10 March 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

View PostThrillhouse, on 10 March 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

All I know is that if I find out that drew Barrymore isn't really using cover girl mascara then I'll be purchasing my cosmetics elsewhere from this point forward!

Now how the hell do you expect anyone to reply to this?!! HaHa!  Cant we talk about MANly Sh*t like the hot new TM yellow bucket hats....

Those yellow bucket hats are ultra manly.

Hang on there!  They match my shoes! What up?  Hater  :)

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#122 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostJBuer, on 09 March 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

This may have already been stated, but unless you are buying your clubs only because a certain pro has them the who the hell cares about a commercial?  It's a commercial/marketing it's all slighted truth. Always has been if you take it at face value you're an idiot.

Advertising like this works, so I guess most people are idiots.

#123 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 10 March 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

View PostSurfinTurf, on 10 March 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

View PostThrillhouse, on 10 March 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

All I know is that if I find out that drew Barrymore isn't really using cover girl mascara then I'll be purchasing my cosmetics elsewhere from this point forward!

Now how the hell do you expect anyone to reply to this?!! HaHa!  Cant we talk about MANly Sh*t like the hot new TM yellow bucket hats....

Those yellow bucket hats are ultra manly.

better get your yellow bucket hat - SOON - sure to be backordered by April
or "recalled"?
Tour Preferred MB 3-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* Aerotech i110 & RAC TP 58*
UDI 16* Aerotech i110
Idea Pro 18* GAT 95
SLDR 430 12* - Speeder TS 7.3 TP
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

#124 JBuer

JBuer

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133339
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postcxx, on 10 March 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

This may have already been stated, but unless you are buying your clubs only because a certain pro has them the who the hell cares about a commercial?  It's a commercial/marketing it's all slighted truth. Always has been if you take it at face value you're an idiot.

I would agree. Especially those who debate a manufacturers use of marketing. Its like saying Jared lost all the weight just from eating subway. Then some fat guy complaining cause he goes to subway everyday and hasn't lost weight. This type of marketing has been around forever and will never change because .....well most people are idiots.
Callaway RFE 9.5 Diamana 63 Blueboard
Callaway XHot Pro 15 Project X 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 3-PW. Project X95 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52/58
Odyssey Protype # 9
WITB Link

#125 enelrojo

enelrojo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2634
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostJBuer, on 10 March 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I would agree. Especially those who debate a manufacturers use of marketing. Its like saying Jared lost all the weight just from eating subway. Then some fat guy complaining cause he goes to subway everyday and hasn't lost weight. This type of marketing has been around forever and will never change because .....well most people are idiots.

Your point on "marketing" may have some validity, but Jared and Subway do not fit your argument. Jared Fogel ate nothing but subway sandwiches for one year, and walked everyday for a year and lost the weight. He was not employed by Subway at the time. Subway discovered him from a magazine article, and had his story fully vetted prior to using him in an ad campaign. Jared and his story are the real deal.

#126 Joey76

Joey76

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221541
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Its seems to be the average amatuers they appeal to and it works.

My friend just came back from the states with guess what. brand new TM gear... the whole lot.

he's a 16 HCP and I told him to hit every irons and driver you had the time for.

Turns out the shop assistat said "these are the clubs for you" and he doesnt know any better... he is happy but doubt whehter he really has the feel to know what is better.

their advertising is cheesy and it works.

if there are guys who are great players who like the TM thats fine too.... play what you like to play but I think they really dominate the amatuer market who dont know any better

Edited by Joey76, 11 March 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#127 hardten

hardten

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2760
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

View Postgunmetal, on 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Does it annoy anyone else that these clowns go on commercial explaining how they play the newest product from the company they represent when in fact they don't?  Last year it was Justin Rose during the week of Doral proclaiming how he played a driver "longer than R11", when in fact he won the freaking tournament with his R11 non S version.  This year it's Jason Day saying how he plays a distance iron and after a 200+ yard 7 iron "yeah I put it in the bag".  The whole week he's been playing the TP MC irons.  I get it, I really do.  I know it's all about benjamins, but dear heavens couldn't they just say how great the irons are and leave it at that?  Why do they have to something that really isn't true?
Hey after playing since 1975, owning 30+ sets of irons and who knows how many drivers and FWDs I eat up some of the #ull#hit also. Never buy based on it but sure it gets it's purpose of my attention. Ultimately I buy on MY experience not some fortunately talented enough guy who makes fame and fortune from the game. I would be lying if I said they didn't at least get my attention. They sell hope.

#128 JBuer

JBuer

Advanced

• 435 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postenelrojo, on 11 March 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Your point on "marketing" may have some validity, but Jared and Subway do not fit your argument. Jared Fogel ate nothing but subway sandwiches for one year, and walked everyday for a year and lost the weight. He was not employed by Subway at the time. Subway discovered him from a magazine article, and had his story fully vetted prior to using him in an ad campaign. Jared and his story are the real deal.

Ok where in the commercials (when Jared worked for subway) did it talk about him walking and exercising? It was marketed in the view of all he did was eat sandwiches. My point is anyone who believed that aspect of the WHOLE story is an idiot. Not calling Jared fake just that all companies spin, manipulate, exaggerate and never tell the WHOLE truth.
Odyssey Protype # 9
WITB Link

#129 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1838

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

View Postenelrojo, on 11 March 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

They never told you that Jared only ate tour-issue footlongs.  Very misleading.  I won't be "bagging" them.

#130 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

BTW, I'm impressed with the latest "-ier" commercials.  You know, with Sean O'Hair refusing to say, "Hair-ier."  The idea is fun, and TM's group of pros does an excellent job of acting, given their real job is hitting a ball 320 yards.

I also like the Nike driver commercial with people saying they're sorry to the group ahead.

Having a sense of humor, both on the advertiser's part and on ours, can be helpful in getting through the day.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#131 tdelam

tdelam

Sideways

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177540
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostSawgrass, on 11 March 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

BTW, I'm impressed with the latest "-ier" commercials.  You know, with Sean O'Hair refusing to say, "Hair-ier."  The idea is fun, and TM's group of pros does an excellent job of acting, given their real job is hitting a ball 320 yards.

I also like the Nike driver commercial with people saying they're sorry to the group ahead.

Having a sense of humor, both on the advertiser's part and on ours, can be helpful in getting through the day.

Agreed, this thread is comical in itself. I felt like I just finished watching an episode of "The View" :rofl:
Titleist 983k 9.5
Titleist AP2 714 4-PW, G
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-PW, G
Titleist Vokey SM5 F-Grind 56
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#132 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:up
GolfWRX Likes : 1064

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

impressed?  It's not bad but i wouldn't say it impresses me.
driver holding spot
Callaway X2 HP 15* Diamana D+
Titleist 913h 19* Diamana S+
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW DG-S300
Vokey 50/54/60
PING Karsten TR Anser 2 starshot

#133 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

View Poststation2station, on 11 March 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Ever try to write a commercial?  It's not easy to write a good one.

For like a hundred years, golf club manufacturers have had one goal:  to impress prospective customers with their offering in an inspirational, memorable way.  Everybody has almost always been about longer and straighter.  Time after time after time.  (Bow ring.)   Doing that in a clever new way that sticks is really hard to pull off.

TaylorMade has created a fun campaign that's memorable (to me).  It's got a "young" vibe.  It's got personable young guns.  And it's, may I say, ballzier than many other competing campaigns.

I know this is supposed to be a "hate TM" thread, but I've instead got to tip my cap to them.  I "get" that most people hate advertising.  But I'm not one of them.  To me it provides an interesting insight into our culture, and sometimes gives me a kick, like any good art might.

#134 enelrojo

enelrojo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2634
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostSawgrass, on 11 March 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

View Poststation2station, on 11 March 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Ever try to write a commercial?  It's not easy to write a good one.

For like a hundred years, golf club manufacturers have had one goal:  to impress prospective customers with their offering in an inspirational, memorable way.  Everybody has almost always been about longer and straighter.  Time after time after time.  (Bow ring.)   Doing that in a clever new way that sticks is really hard to pull off.

TaylorMade has created a fun campaign that's memorable (to me).  It's got a "young" vibe.  It's got personable young guns.  And it's, may I say, ballzier than many other competing campaigns.

I know this is supposed to be a "hate TM" thread, but I've instead got to tip my cap to them.  I "get" that most people hate advertising.  But I'm not one of them.  To me it provides an interesting insight into our culture, and sometimes gives me a kick, like any good art might.

Agree.

#135 golfgolf

golfgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159805
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostJBuer, on 11 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Ok where in the commercials (when Jared worked for subway) did it talk about him walking and exercising? It was marketed in the view of all he did was eat sandwiches. My point is anyone who believed that aspect of the WHOLE story is an idiot. Not calling Jared fake just that all companies spin, manipulate, exaggerate and never tell the WHOLE truth.

But at least Jared did eat the same exact subs that anyone else could go into any Subway and buy.
The problem would have been if they had said Jared lost all his weight by eating Subway subs, where in reality he ate special Jared-issue Subway subs that only he could get and that had half the calories of regular Subway subs.

#136 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

Major Winner

• 4,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postgolfgolf, on 12 March 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

But at least Jared did eat the same exact subs that anyone else could go into any Subway and buy.
The problem would have been if they had said Jared lost all his weight by eating Subway subs, where in reality he ate special Jared-issue Subway subs that only he could get and that had half the calories of regular Subway subs.

This is a funny but accurate comparison.

Good Read

#137 JBuer

JBuer

Advanced

• 435 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postgolfgolf, on 12 March 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I see your point and it makes sense. I guess my thing is that all companies spin, twist, exaggerate and provide half truths. If they didn't there wouldn't be much to distance themselves from the competition.
Odyssey Protype # 9
WITB Link

#138 golfgolf

golfgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159805
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

The USGA and R&A could make things really interesting if they passed a rule that required players to only play equipment that was available at retail.

They have both stated that they are opposed to bifurcation of the rules, and want pros and amateurs to play by the same set.
And as a result, we (the 99.99% of golfers who are not professionals) will all eventually have to abide by the new groove rules.

It is only logical that the pros should also have to play the same equipment that we (the amateurs) play.

Adjusting lies, lofts, weight, lead tape, hot melt - stuff like that would be ok since it is relatively easy for anyone to do the same, and those changes are all made to a pre-existing club model.  

But things like 'tour only' driver heads would no longer be allowed.

#139 gunmetal

gunmetal

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6904
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

View Postcraniac76, on 10 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

The OP is like watching a commercial for the first time.  

If Tiger Woods drives a Buick in a commercial, it doesn't mean Tiger drives a Buick in real life.  It's just a commercial.  They just got paid to represent a product.

The OP (me) is simply pointing out that there is a big difference between paid spokespeople endorsing a product and paid spokespeople claiming that they use a product that they don't.  It's misleading at best.

That's right...I just went 3rd person, baby.

PS - TM's lost their cleverness, too.  The #IER hats are awful.

#140 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1244

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postgunmetal, on 17 March 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

If Tiger Woods drives a Buick in a commercial, it doesn't mean Tiger drives a Buick in real life.  It's just a commercial.  They just got paid to represent a product.

The OP (me) is simply pointing out that there is a big difference between paid spokespeople endorsing a product and paid spokespeople claiming that they use a product that they don't.  It's misleading at best.

The #ier moniker is doing exactly what TM wants it to do.  It's creating buzz and getting people talking about the new line whether its good or bad.  #clever....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#141 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

So I got that going for me, which is nice

• 2,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182718
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 518

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 17 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

View Postgunmetal, on 17 March 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

The #ier moniker is doing exactly what TM wants it to do.  It's creating buzz and getting people talking about the new line whether its good or bad.  #clever....

#clever-ier
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* Oban White
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diamana S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* 2 Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade 4-6 CB & 7-PW MC CT Lite
Taylormade Tour Preferred 54* 60* ATV
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#142 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Bump. Seems strange, but the TM guys are apparently switching between these and the TMAG Tour MB somewhat regularly. Garcia has the Bladez back in the bag again this week.

#143 cvvorst

cvvorst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125478
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

View Postgatewaygolfer, on 24 February 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

View PostThrillhouse, on 24 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Do you guys think there is a bodybuilding forum out there where people start threads like this every time chuck norris picks up a free weight instead of using the total gym?

Yes, I own one bigger than this site and that industry is 10x worse than this. :)

What site is that? (if you don't mind sharing)

I used to frequent bb.com before every single veteran member became affiliated with a company...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors