Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

Nike Covert Problems?

Some potential Issues

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#1 Micrys2

Micrys2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1231
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hi all,

Was just reading the thread "Nike Covert Users".  In that thread there are posts where several of the Nike Covert Drivers are having issues with the adapters and I was unclear but there appeared to be one poster who had a head crack.  Thought I would start a thread to see if others are having similar problems and what Nike is doing about it.

I have been very interested in this driver, but now may wait to pull the triger until I hear more about this.

Chime in PLEASE!!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 817

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was at GS yesterday and was hitting the Covert 3 fwy in the bay.  I thought something felt odd when I soled the club, flipped it over and the metal was starting to separate from the back of the club.  I quickly grabbed a store employee and showed him what happened.  He stated that this is the second Covert club that he has seen this happen to.  I am a huge Nike fan but I am a little concerned now that more of these issues are coming up now.  The clubs have not even been on the market for a month yet...

Edited by TheMoneyShot, 24 February 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#3 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • 11,898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 1867

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ooof.  i20 issues for Ping
Covert issues for Nike (allegedly)

I hope this doesn't become the norm for overseas produced equipment, where everyone becomes gun shy at buying new release because of QC problems.  I guess that's a risk these companies take.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#4 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Buddy of mine on the mini's has friends on both big tours and said a lot of breaking, bumming the players out...BB
Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#5 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostBig Ben, on 24 February 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Buddy of mine on the mini's has friends on both big tours and said a lot of breaking, bumming the players out...BB

That is not a good sign at all if the tour players are experiencing the same quality issues.  Not good at all.

#6 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not sure if this is the norm or not on the Covert Tour Driver, but I tried it yesterday, and after a couple of swings I noticed a very small bulge/bubble on the top line of the crown of the Driver head at the point where an alignment aid would normally be on most companies Drivers. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs or any they've tried?

#7 BuckyBadger

BuckyBadger

I can finally see grass in my yard!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73088
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

So are we talking problems with the fairway woods or the whole line?
10.5* RBZ with AD DI 6x
14.5* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
18* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
21* & 23.5* R11 rescues 65s
6-LW PING G20 CFS Stiff
Bettinardi Studio Stock 15

#8 _R5_

_R5_

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180900
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've had no problems so far with my Covert Tour. I'm pretty worried now though. Lets hope these are just a few freak instances.

#9 scottvw13

scottvw13

Oven Baked To A Crisp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Keep in mind that many of the clubs in tour players hands, as well as demos at stores are early production heads that are certainly more likely to have issues, while they sort out manufacturing.

Also, I understand the need for this thread, but can we PLEASE keep it to first hand experiences? "My mother brothers friend who caddies on the Hooters tour heard from the Goldwin rep that these things suck" help no one.

Fear mongering never helps anyone.

Edited by scottvw13, 24 February 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#10 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostBuckyBadger, on 24 February 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

So are we talking problems with the fairway woods or the whole line?

Both!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 PingDaddy8

PingDaddy8

TMPing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35809
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't see any issues like what Adams had last year. You may see this in demo model or very early production model as they were still pretty much in the production phase when the tour players got their hands on them. They always get theirs before we do. I can see with neglect the adapter threads/screws could get damaged but that is the case with any adjustable driver. So far no complaints

#12 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177504
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I just got my Covert Tour driver last week.  It was a custom order through GS, so it came to me directly from Nike.  Again, I just got it last week.  Upon hearing about these problems, I noticed some epoxy on the edges of the plastic piece in question.  It doesn't look that bad, but you can notice it.

I've never seen this epoxy on any other pic I've seen of the Tour head.  Could it be that Nike is aware of the issue and has added some extra epoxy to the piece?

Since I just got mine last week, it wasn't built too long ago.  Maybe they've already taken steps to at least help the "issue"?????

As someone has already stated, it seems that there is some fear mongering going on here.  Some have also stated that they're quite worried about this.  Well, honestly, I'm not.

Some of us just need to step back and calm ourselves.............  :)
Nike Covert Tour UST VTS Silver
Nike T60 4 wood TT Lite Steel shaft
Nike VR_S 20* & Sumo 23* Hybrid
Nike VR_S 5-PW Blades (PX 5.5)
Nike VR_S 52* & 56* Scratch 1820 60*
Yes! Marilyn or SC SS Newport 2.0

#13 BuckyBadger

BuckyBadger

• 2,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

How do you know if you're going to get an early production release that was sent to dealers or if you're going to receive a club with more epoxy on it? I haven't heard of Nike pulling clubs from stores and fixing them much like a car recall.
10.5* RBZ with AD DI 6x
14.5* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
18* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
6-LW PING G20 CFS Stiff

#14 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostBuckyBadger, on 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

How do you know if you're going to get an early production release that was sent to dealers or if you're going to receive a club with more epoxy on it? I haven't heard of Nike pulling clubs from stores and fixing them much like a car recall.

Well, obviously you're not going to know.

But I stress that what I stated is pure speculation.  I don't know for sure that Nike is aware of the problem and are doing anything for the potential "issue".  I'm simply reporting what I noticed about my head compared to every other head I've seen a pic of online or in person.  Maybe my head was an anomaly?

I don't know and again, I'm speculating.

All I know is that I gave my new Covert Tour a good workout at the simulator/indoor range all weekend w/ absolutely no issues.

#15 scottvw13

scottvw13

Oven Baked To A Crisp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostBuckyBadger, on 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

There haven't been nearly enough issues with this to facilitate a recall.  It is really just a few people here out of hundreds if not thousands on here that have bought one.  But the internet is very powerful and wide reaching, so it seems much worse than it is.  At least at the moment...

I think many of the failed clubs were manufactured prior to the general release on 2/8.  I think if you buy a club off the rack, you will not have any issues.  Even better, if you place a custom order, then you are virtually guaranteed to get a head produced more recently.

#16 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postscottvw13, on 24 February 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

There haven't been nearly enough issues with this to facilitate a recall.  It is really just a few people here out of hundreds if not thousands on here that have bought one.  But the internet is very powerful and wide reaching, so it seems much worse than it is.  At least at the moment...

I think many of the failed clubs were manufactured prior to the general release on 2/8.  I think if you buy a club off the rack, you will not have any issues.  Even better, if you place a custom order, then you are virtually guaranteed to get a head produced more recently.

That's what I think is going on too.  You've got a handful of folks having an issue, and suddenly it's a "major" problem.

It's a new design, sh*t happens and clubs break sometimes.  I'm not making excuses for Nike, but it happens w/ EVERY manufacturer.  This is nothing new.  And I KNOW Nike has excellent customer service to help anyone out either now or in the future.

That's a big reason why I'm not worried about any potential problems w/ mine.  At all.

#17 Micrys2

Micrys2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostLuvToGolfGuy, on 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

I just got my Covert Tour driver last week.  It was a custom order through GS, so it came to me directly from Nike.  Again, I just got it last week.  Upon hearing about these problems, I noticed some epoxy on the edges of the plastic piece in question.  It doesn't look that bad, but you can notice it.

I've never seen this epoxy on any other pic I've seen of the Tour head.  Could it be that Nike is aware of the issue and has added some extra epoxy to the piece?

Since I just got mine last week, it wasn't built too long ago.  Maybe they've already taken steps to at least help the "issue"?????

As someone has already stated, it seems that there is some fear mongering going on here.  Some have also stated that they're quite worried about this.  Well, honestly, I'm not.

Some of us just need to step back and calm ourselves.............  :)

I want to be perfectly clear that this thread is not and never was intended to be a fear mongering thread.  It's intent is to clearify whether or not there is a problem and to give all an opportunity to share their experiences openly on the forum as should be allowed.  I am equally certain that if in fact it does become a problem that Nike will almost immediately take care of the issue.  They are a very good company and I have had very favorable personal experiences with their customer service department.

I certainly hope that these instances are of an outlier nature.  I have already emaild their customer service department to get information from them regarding thie POTENTIAL issue.  I am confident that they will respond in a timely and detailed fashion.  In the email I also alerte them to the existence of this thread so that they might have an adequate opportunity to respond directly here.

I am still very much interested in this golf club.  And it is still my intention to purchase it.  However, I am not an immediate gratification type of guy so I will wait until this is ultimately resolved.

Cheers

#18 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostMicrys2, on 24 February 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

I want to be perfectly clear that this thread is not and never was intended to be a fear mongering thread.  It's intent is to clearify whether or not there is a problem and to give all an opportunity to share their experiences openly on the forum as should be allowed.  I am equally certain that if in fact it does become a problem that Nike will almost immediately take care of the issue.  They are a very good company and I have had very favorable personal experiences with their customer service department.

I certainly hope that these instances are of an outlier nature.  I have already emaild their customer service department to get information from them regarding thie POTENTIAL issue.  I am confident that they will respond in a timely and detailed fashion.  In the email I also alerte them to the existence of this thread so that they might have an adequate opportunity to respond directly here.

I am still very much interested in this golf club.  And it is still my intention to purchase it.  However, I am not an immediate gratification type of guy so I will wait until this is ultimately resolved.

Cheers

I wasn't necessarily accusing you of fear mongering.  It's all good.  I have no problems w/ the thread.  Like you said, it's a place to talk about a potential issue regarding these clubs and for others to share their experiences, either good or bad, w/ the clubs.

But when you get into heresay type stuff, then it's going a bit far, IMO.  When we start doing that, we're not taking into account any and all outlying circumstances that we're not aware of (how it's been hit, and by whom, and any other factors that may contribute to the club getting damaged), and then believe the story even despite that.

#19 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have had mine since the release straight from Nike.  I have had 5-6 range sessions, no issues so far, so lets hope this is a freak thing, and like some have said its a new product, things happen.  Nike does have excellent customer service so I won't worry, they will take care of it.
Titleist 910D2 Proj X Black
Ping I20 3wd Proj X Black
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP105s
Titleist AP2 714 4-pw TT XP105s
Nike Method 003
Titleist SM4 56/60

#20 Micrys2

Micrys2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostLuvToGolfGuy, on 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostMicrys2, on 24 February 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Cheers

I wasn't necessarily accusing you of fear mongering.  It's all good.  I have no problems w/ the thread.  Like you said, it's a place to talk about a potential issue regarding these clubs and for others to share their experiences, either good or bad, w/ the clubs.

But when you get into heresay type stuff, then it's going a bit far, IMO.  When we start doing that, we're not taking into account any and all outlying circumstances that we're not aware of (how it's been hit, and by whom, and any other factors that may contribute to the club getting damaged), and then believe the story even despite that.

Agree completely..........should only be ACTUAL experiences

Thanks

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 BuckyBadger

BuckyBadger

• 2,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'm not trying to be a fear monger either. I just want to know if Nike is aware of problems with early releases. If they fixed or are going to fix these problems. Or, if these are isolated instances and Nike claims there are no issues. I actually love the looks of this driver so I'm not Nike bashing in any way. Just concerned.
10.5* RBZ with AD DI 6x
14.5* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
18* RBZ Matrix Ozik 7s
6-LW PING G20 CFS Stiff

#22 philsRHman

philsRHman

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100923
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Here is my post from the other thread. Fits better here:

Brought it to GG and they were totally cool. Said they would send it back and push them to expedite it. I was originally going to get the 70x shaft but didn't want to wait for it to be ordered. I mentioned that and they said they'll have them ship a 70x instead. Only pain is that Nike won't send it directly to my house, and GG is about 35 minutes drive. Luckily the season is still a few weeks away, but wanted to get in some good range time with it, so hopefully it's back by next weekend. They were all out of Tour heads. I posted a few photos over on my blog, mygolfuniverse because I was having trouble with uploading here.

#23 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View Postscottvw13, on 24 February 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Keep in mind that many of the clubs in tour players hands, as well as demos at stores are early production heads that are certainly more likely to have issues, while they sort out manufacturing.

Also, I understand the need for this thread, but can we PLEASE keep it to first hand experiences? "My mother brothers friend who caddies on the Hooters tour heard from the Goldwin rep that these things suck" help no onetime

If you are referring to me my information is legit or I would not offer it but thanks for the advice, also this policing of threads with crap like "actual" this or that seems very pointed, this is a open forum and folks are allowed to comment...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 24 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#24 DRRicks

DRRicks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43733
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostBig Ben, on 24 February 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Also, I understand the need for this thread, but can we PLEASE keep it to first hand experiences? "My mother brothers friend who caddies on the Hooters tour heard from the Goldwin rep that these things suck" help no onetime

If you are referring to me my information is legit or I would not offer it but thanks for the advice, also this policing of threads with crap like "actual" this or that seems very pointed, this is a open forum and folks are allowed to comment...BB

I've noticed that some people (scottvw13) make it a habit to "police" any thread that doesn't hold Nike in the highest regard.  So, what he means is "actual" great experiences with Nike...anything else will not be tolerated!

#25 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've noticed a lot of this lately and it's junk, this is a GOLF FORUM and we want to encourage open and honest participation. I love golf and have no loyalty or affiliation to any one brand, good or bad I will comment exactly how I see fit without fear of reprisal...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#26 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostphilsRHman, on 24 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Brought it to GG and they were totally cool. Said they would send it back and push them to expedite it. I was originally going to get the 70x shaft but didn't want to wait for it to be ordered. I mentioned that and they said they'll have them ship a 70x instead. Only pain is that Nike won't send it directly to my house, and GG is about 35 minutes drive. Luckily the season is still a few weeks away, but wanted to get in some good range time with it, so hopefully it's back by next weekend. They were all out of Tour heads. I posted a few photos over on my blog, mygolfuniverse because I was having trouble with uploading here.

I am such an idiot.  I wasn't looking at the right "thing".  You know that piece that broke for you?  Well, upon closer inspection of my head, mine came to me WITHOUT that black piece.  Instead, I have a matted gray underneath where the VRs Tour logo is.  The black piece was removed!!!!! I can tell it had it on at one point because I can see traces of epoxy that kept it on.  Again, it was flat out removed.

I know it came to me that way.  Is that what Nike is doing for the time being?  Simply removing that piece?  I'm not upset about it and it doesn't detract from the looks of the driver, IMO.  It's in the cavity part anyway, when are you really "looking" at it?

Again, Nike must have flat out removed that piece before shipping it to me.

This changes things to me.  To me, it tells me they're aware of the problem and their solution, for now, is to take that little black "slot" piece out.

Edited by LuvToGolfGuy, 24 February 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#27 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostLuvToGolfGuy, on 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

View PostphilsRHman, on 24 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I am such an idiot.  I wasn't looking at the right "thing".  You know that piece that broke for you?  Well, upon closer inspection of my head, mine came to me WITHOUT that black piece.  Instead, I have a matted gray underneath where the VRs Tour logo is.  The black piece was removed!!!!! I can tell it had it on at one point because I can see traces of epoxy that kept it on.  Again, it was flat out removed.

I know it came to me that way.  Is that what Nike is doing for the time being?  Simply removing that piece?  I'm not upset about it and it doesn't detract from the looks of the driver, IMO.  It's in the cavity part anyway, when are you really "looking" at it?

Again, Nike must have flat out removed that piece before shipping it to me.

This changes things to me.  To me, it tells me they're aware of the problem and their solution, for now, is to take that little black "slot" piece out.

wouldnt that affect the weight?

#28 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostBig Ben, on 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

I've noticed a lot of this lately and it's junk, this is a GOLF FORUM and we want to encourage open and honest participation. I love golf and have no loyalty or affiliation to any one brand, good or bad I will comment exactly how I see fit without fear of reprisal...BB

Quite right too, good for you! I've also had repraisals from the Thread Police, if I make one wrong move against this product or that product, they jump on ya back, whether its personal findings, or any kind of personal feelings at all. It doesn't bother me personally, as to me it just comes across as defensive on their part, and that they have things to hide. Takes all sorts though I guess.

#29 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postrealitycheck, on 24 February 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

We have had to return 2 driver heads and a 3 wood from my store because of the aforementioned problems.  Badges on the back separating and breaking off.

Thanks for the info.  I'd assume Nike is becoming aware of this problem, do you know if they are doing anything to combat these ongoing problems.

#30 Hendu24

Hendu24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187706
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Also, I understand the need for this thread, but can we PLEASE keep it to first hand experiences? "My mother brothers friend who caddies on the Hooters tour heard from the Goldwin rep that these things suck" help no one.

Agreed, Nike haters flock to this to spread the word. Demo's at GS or GG can hardly count when they turn defective, It's insane the wear that average joe's can put into a demo in a couple days, let alone trying to adjust them...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors