Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sore knees. Not sure if it's golf related?!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125536
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

As the title suggests I've got me some sore knees.

Both are sore in the same spot and are on an equal level of soreness. They are sore on the outside/top. My first thought was a tendon issue but any research I've done gives the impression that tendonitis leaves you feeling sore all the time, and it leaves you so sore that you probably couldn't even attempt to do any sort of physical activity.

Mine are never sore when I'm standing, walking, running or even swinging as hard as I can, it's as if it's not even there. It's at it's sorest when squatting and trying to kneel down. If I squat completely I can barely get up again it's so painful, sometimes it even feels like I don't have the strength to get up again. It's almost like the feeling you get when you work your muscles to failure. I also always feel the need to crack/click them, which they do, and it feels gooood.

I will be going to the doctor but I've got a feeling he will be sending me to a physio.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Edited by whatsecret, 23 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Johnny

Johnny

Get Kwok'd

• Marshals
  • 8,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

would be nice to know your age..

Is there swelling ? sound like the lower part of the hammy with the info given, but yes it's a good idea to see the doc.
Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

#3 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostJohnny, on 23 February 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Is there swelling ? sound like the lower part of the hammy with the info given, but yes it's a good idea to see the doc.

27 and I'm in reasonably good shape.

No visible swelling although it can feel almost bruised-like.

Would the hamstring cause the front of the knee to be sore? It is the front that's sore btw I mightn't have mentioned that.

#4 Gupps01

Gupps01

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97367
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Sounds like Patellofemoral pain. Go to a physio, get a proper diagnosis, get started with the rehab. Simple as that.

#5 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

A sore knee cost me thousands of dollars. Literally.
While I do have arthritis... a torn meniscus was the root cause of my monetary loss. A torn meniscus that I suffered through for more than a decade. Only when it got to the point where I had to go down stairs backwards did I throw the white flag. And go to a doctor about my arthritis.
Even the Doc who went in to treat my arthristis had no clue a torn meniscus was the basis of my suffering.
Go to a good doctor.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#6 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostGupps01, on 23 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Sounds like Patellofemoral pain. Go to a physio, get a proper diagnosis, get started with the rehab. Simple as that.

As I said I will be going to the doctor and I'd say he will refer me to a physio. I'm hoping it turns out to be 'simple as that.'

As for your diagnosis; I think you've got it in one.

'It is the most frequently encountereed diagnosis in sports medicine clinics,' according to wikipedia, yet none of my google search results mentioned it once? wtf!

It also adds thats many of the treatments have little supporting evidence and most sufferers respond best with conservation. Well I haven't kicked a football or swung a club for a month now and it's feeling worse as it is at its' worst when sitting around. I've a feeling this is gonna be a real b**** to get rid of...

I also think I found the cause. 'Quadriceps muscle imbalance may contribute to abnormal patellar tracking.'

I've noticed recently my quads are noticable bigger than they were a year ago with no real exercise only swinging a club, and I do that alot.

Also, and this is nothing to do with the topic, my left quad is now noticeably bigger than my right (and I'm right legged). At least I know I'm using my pivot properly!

#7 Johnny

Johnny

Get Kwok'd

• Marshals
  • 8,394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

View Postwhatsecret, on 23 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Would the hamstring cause the front of the knee to be sore? It is the front that's sore btw I mightn't have mentioned that.

not the very front.. but front side. You would be surprised how tight quads and calf effect how the knee works..  27, a little soon for arthritis, unless you have been punishing your knees (like me).. so not entirely out of the question.

hope it's not the meniscus... those are really a PITA.. might need to get scoped and cleaned up in there. I lost 40% of my medial on my left knee.. no fun.

#8 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postesketores, on 23 February 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

A sore knee cost me thousands of dollars. Literally.
While I do have arthritis... a torn meniscus was the root cause of my monetary loss. A torn meniscus that I suffered through for more than a decade. Only when it got to the point where I had to go down stairs backwards did I throw the white flag. And go to a doctor about my arthritis.
Even the Doc who went in to treat my arthristis had no clue a torn meniscus was the basis of my suffering.
Go to a good doctor.

Sorry to hear that it sounds like you had a tough time. I really hope the NHS forks out for it what ever it is and I don't have to go private, I really don't have the money for it atm

#9 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostJohnny, on 24 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

View Postwhatsecret, on 23 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

not the very front.. but front side. You would be surprised how tight quads and calf effect how the knee works..  27, a little soon for arthritis, unless you have been punishing your knees (like me).. so not entirely out of the question.

hope it's not the meniscus... those are really a PITA.. might need to get scoped and cleaned up in there. I lost 40% of my medial on my left knee.. no fun.

I have been punishing them through sports my whle life tbh. I think it's way to much golfing with bad technique early on (and still to a lesser extent) is the root cause. Scoped and cleaned even sounds horrendous, must have been tough!

How is it now? Would you still feel that it's not quite right?

#10 Johnny

Johnny

Get Kwok'd

• Marshals
  • 8,394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Well they have to put you under which is never fun... it was not bad overall but I had my ACL replaced as well so it's a little different.  I"m not quite 2 months post op and there is quite a bit of pain in the medial area.  Obviously not golfing yet because of the ACL and therapy is a pain.

With you having no swelling it's hard to guess... my medial area is very bruise like (to the touch) without the discoloration...I'm thinking if it's just your kneecap / patella area you may get lucky. Those tend to be easier to solve with therapy and proper exercise then other ligament soft tissues issues.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

It does feel like mines more of an external pain than deep down internally so hopefully it'll be not too bad. Don't think I could handle not being able to hit balls.
Thanks for the input Johnny, I'll be going to the doctor this week so will post an update when I know more.
Cheers.

#12 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Probably not PFS.

Lateral knee pain

Lateral collateral ligament sprain

Lateral meniscal tear

Iliotibial band tendonitis

My guess is ITB tendonitis.

to see if it is PFS ... sit with your leg on a chair.  Relax your leg. Practice moving your patella sideways.  Relax enough that you can move it to one side .... and as you are holding it off center, contract your quadriceps ... if it is painful ... that's a patella issue.  Repeat moving your patella the other way.  Another patella test is to press it down and wiggle it side to side.  If it hurts .. the back of the patella is sore.

The tear or sprain would be associated with trauma to the knee.

Here are some ITB syndrome tips :

http://sportsmedicin...T_Band_Pain.htm

Take some Aleve for 5 days to see if that would help.   Ice Ice and more ice.  Rest obviously.  No squats obviously.  If you knees swell ... that would be indicative of something potentially more serious.

#13 whatsecret

whatsecret

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 24 February 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Probably not PFS.

Lateral knee pain
Lateral collateral ligament sprain
Lateral meniscal tear
Iliotibial band tendonitis

My guess is ITB tendonitis.

to see if it is PFS ... sit with your leg on a chair.  Relax your leg. Practice moving your patella sideways.  Relax enough that you can move it to one side .... and as you are holding it off center, contract your quadriceps ... if it is painful ... that's a patella issue.  Repeat moving your patella the other way.  Another patella test is to press it down and wiggle it side to side.  If it hurts .. the back of the patella is sore.

The tear or sprain would be associated with trauma to the knee.

Here are some ITB syndrome tips :

http://sportsmedicin...T_Band_Pain.htm

Take some Aleve for 5 days to see if that would help.   Ice Ice and more ice.  Rest obviously.  No squats obviously.  If you knees swell ... that would be indicative of something potentially more serious.

ITB is definitely the most likely suggestion from what you've said and the research I just carried out. Those PFS tests you advised yielded no pain whatsoever. The pain I suffer is in the area described in the article; outside-upper knee and lower thigh. And the pain is more intense when standing from a seated position and squatting. I'm guessing this band not functioning properly is stopping the patella from tracking properly which is also causing the knee to feel sore.

I'll not get too excited until I get a proper diagnosis but I feel a little happier now as I'd rather have a muscle/tendon issue than a joint issue!

Good call STB; quite the amateur (maybe not?!) physican! :taunt:

#14 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Lateral knee pain is relatively easy :)
Joint issues in your age group pretty much need some sort of trauma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors