Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist Lightweight vs. Ping Hoofer stand bag (2013)

Ping Hoofer Titleist stand bag ping titleist stand bag

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147761
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

So I've narrowed down my choice to these two bags.  I know there was another thread like this before but it was a few years ago and I'd like some updated opinions.  I already have a stand bag that I use when I'm riding w/ a cart, so this is just for walking and at the range.  I have an Ogio Grom stand bag now and while I like the looks of it, the materials and the pockets, I really don't like stand bags w/ 14-way dividers.  The clubs seem to always get jammed up.  So which one do you guys prefer?  Which one is easier to get your clubs in and out of?  I like the pockets more on the Hoofer but the Titleist seems to have more room for the clubs.  Thanks for the responses!

titleist_lightweight_stand_bag.JPG ping_hoofer_stand_bag.jpg

Covert 2.0 Tour - Speeder 661
Covert Perf 15 & 19 - KK Silver
913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Vokey SM5 50F, 56S, TVD 60K KBS Hi-Rev
Byron Morgan DH89

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jdotconnor

jdotconnor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130876
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

I've had the hoofer for 2 months and chose it over the titleist cause I like the strap to be used easier as an individual OR dual. I think the titleist would be better for carts and getting clubs in and out. The hoofer, despite the full length dividers, still has the clubs get stuck going in and out.

#3 allenri2

allenri2

Spartan for life.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63423
  • Ebay ID:allenri2
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

View Postjdotconnor, on 23 February 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

I've had the hoofer for 2 months and chose it over the titleist cause I like the strap to be used easier as an individual OR dual.

This is easily one of my favorite things about the Hoofer.  I love this for making the long walk from the parking lot to the pro shop or from the cart to the range haha.  I don't walk nearly as much as I would like but it is also nice to comfortably walk using the single strap.

Full disclosure, I have almost exclusively played Titleist clubs yet for the past 9 years I have only used Ping bags.  I somewhat have a little experience with both bags since my dad uses a Taylor Made bag that is very similar to the Titleist one pictured (both made by Sun Mountain).  There are a few things I don't like about his bag.  The strap on his droops down and hangs from the side while my Ping bag's right shoulder strap retracts and is easy to grab after a shot.  I have also found the straps on his to be a little less comfortable and that the back plate doesn't add a whole lot in terms of comfort.  Another thing I strongly dislike is the legs.  On the Titleist bag the legs are dead straight vs the Ping's have a slight angle to them.  When the legs are out on both of our bags, his reach out considerably further.

Some of that is just me nit picking.  I think they are both great bags and you cannot go wrong with either one.  I just like some of the smaller features of the Ping bags more.

#4 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

thanks for the responses, good points I didn't consider.  I'm not too familiar with the strap system on the Hoofer but it sounds like I need to check that out closer before buying either of the two.  also. I do like the slight angle of the ping legs that keep it more compact.  

Anyone out there use the Titleist bag and is there enough room for 14 clubs without getting all jammed up?
913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Byron Morgan DH89

#5 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Since this bag is for walking I vote neither. I'd start with the Ping 4 Under or something lighter. Every pound shed feels like ten pounds half way through your round.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#6 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 832

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

This thread is hilarious because I too am looking at both of these bags and I have a Ogio Grom as well I want to replace.  I use a ClicGear so I am leaning toward the Titleist since it fits the Clicgear better.
Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin

#7 kwelifan

kwelifan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119921
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostPLogsdon, on 24 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

thanks for the responses, good points I didn't consider.  I'm not too familiar with the strap system on the Hoofer but it sounds like I need to check that out closer before buying either of the two.  also. I do like the slight angle of the ping legs that keep it more compact.  

Anyone out there use the Titleist bag and is there enough room for 14 clubs without getting all jammed up?
I don't walk with 14 but I bring at least that many to the range and I've had no problems.  The best thing about the titleist/sun mountain bags is that the dividers are sewn to the sides of the bag, so clubs can't sneak around the side and tangle with other sections.  I like the  ping straps more but the titleist dividers won me over.

#8 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostHstead, on 24 February 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

This thread is hilarious because I too am looking at both of these bags and I have a Ogio Grom as well I want to replace.  I use a ClicGear so I am leaning toward the Titleist since it fits the Clicgear better.

that's so funny.  This website almost always has a thread somewhere that answers a question of mine.
913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Byron Morgan DH89

#9 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postdriverwedge3putt, on 24 February 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

I have both bags.  They are both great.  I like the TItleist better overall.  The Ping seems to have slightly better quality and might be better looking.  but the titleist has a bigger top which is easier to get the clubs in and out.  The Titleist fits better on my clicgear 3.0 although I walk and push and ride depending on how I feel that day.

The Ping might have better pockets.  The Titleist has a 10000x better strap system. The Ping X Strap sucks.  Gets crossed up and its a pain in the a** to fix.

My Dream bag would be the titleist lightweight 14 way bag with the lightweight (4 way) bag straps.

thanks for the input.  just from looking at the Hoofer at Golf Galaxy the straps look horrible, like they would tangle like you mentioned.  but then there's all these people saying they like the hoofer straps better than the Titleist which is weird.

It seems like the Titleist is the way to go as far as the dividers go.  I'd go with the Ping if the top was bigger, but it just seems too small.  I think either one is going to work out and I'd be happy with both...
913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Byron Morgan DH89

#10 ppauls99

ppauls99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229189
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

the titleist fits great on the clicgear

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 evanm

evanm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181024
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Hoofer is amazing for walking, straps are fine for me. I could see the hoofer not being great for a cart as the base isn't as round as most bags.
Ping G25 9.5  Aldila Tour Green
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15 Aldila Tour Green
Adams Pro 16 Aldila Tour Red
Ping i20 4-PW CFS, Rapture DI
Ping Anser Milled 2
Ping Tour S 54SS, 58TS KBS Tour

#12 DCI

DCI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223009

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Once you get used to the Ping straps, they are great. I've had a Hoofer for about 10 years now and am ready for a new bag. It is definitely going to be a new Hoofer.

#13 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I use my Hoofer on my Clicgear. The only issue is minor -- the bag wants to rotate a little even while locked onto the cart.  The black Hoofer strap material fades, and the outside leg has an issue with getting caught on the big pocket when picking the bag up if you don't grab it in just a certain way.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#14 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

anyone have any experiences with the Ogio Woode system?  It seems like it would be the best of all as far as dividers go.  Plus I can get an older model Grom on eBay for about $60.  Problem with the Grom is it's heavy as **** and I'm pretty sure the legs are terrible...

913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Byron Morgan DH89

#15 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Titleist hands down

#16 pr1mo990

pr1mo990

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostMCCA, on 25 February 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Titleist hands down

why?
913H 21 - Tour AD DI-85
VR_S Forged 5-PW - PXi
Byron Morgan DH89

#17 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

If you walk regularly you gotta go PING 4under.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#18 TeeBonZ

TeeBonZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 944
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

View Postfinalist, on 24 February 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Since this bag is for walking I vote neither. I'd start with the Ping 4 Under or something lighter. Every pound shed feels like ten pounds half way through your round.

This^^

#19 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

I've used Ping since my first Hoofer. What makes the X-Straps so difficult to use? I see people say this all the time but come on, they are retractable where the right arm strap is retracted, you pick it up by putting your arm through it and putting it on like a backpack from there....

They get tangled perhaps once a round for me, I'll pull the retractable strap, loop the left strap either under or over, and at fixed. I mean if it is tangled more than once what did you tumble down a hill or something?

I have a 2012 Lightweight I bought from my Alma Matter bookstore but its more of a garage queen, I walk 90% of my rounds and I use my Ping.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#20 Cubsfan

Cubsfan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8354
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostPLogsdon, on 23 February 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

So I've narrowed down my choice to these two bags.  I know there was another thread like this before but it was a few years ago and I'd like some updated opinions.  I already have a stand bag that I use when I'm riding w/ a cart, so this is just for walking and at the range.  I have an Ogio Grom stand bag now and while I like the looks of it, the materials and the pockets, I really don't like stand bags w/ 14-way dividers.  The clubs seem to always get jammed up.  So which one do you guys prefer?  Which one is easier to get your clubs in and out of?  I like the pockets more on the Hoofer but the Titleist seems to have more room for the clubs.  Thanks for the responses!

Attachment titleist_lightweight_stand_bag.JPGAttachment ping_hoofer_stand_bag.jpg
I've used ping bags now for over 12 years and as time goes on they have gotten better.  Now currently use the Hoofer C3 which I love.  The placement of the pockets is great and a slight bend of the legs is far better than previous ping bags.  After a few weeks you will get used to the strap system.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ping bags are the most durable on the market in my experience.  I have like 5 hoofers.  I bought an Ogio Sprint last year due to the weight and the double strap - shock absorbing neoprene straps.  The straps are elastic that kinda of bounce with you when you walk to reduce shock.  I don't think the bag will last that long but it's been a nice little find.

#22 VNutz

VNutz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I love the durability and quality of Ping bags, I'm currently on the same Hoofer 2 I've been using since 2003, and it's seen lots of course time since then. High quality materials and the leg system is better than most around. That being said I'm in the market currently for a new bag and haven't considered the new Ping bags due to their looks. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the new styling that doesn't look right to me. I know it's the worst reason out there, but to me a bag is a bag and if I'm getting a new one I want something that looks good to my eye.

#23 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostVNutz, on 26 February 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I love the durability and quality of Ping bags, I'm currently on the same Hoofer 2 I've been using since 2003, and it's seen lots of course time since then. High quality materials and the leg system is better than most around. That being said I'm in the market currently for a new bag and haven't considered the new Ping bags due to their looks. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something about the new styling that doesn't look right to me. I know it's the worst reason out there, but to me a bag is a bag and if I'm getting a new one I want something that looks good to my eye.

+1

Once they switched from the Hoofer Vantage line to the C1 line I just lost total interest in the bag due to its looks.  As soon as the brought out the C1 I bought an older model Vantage in White/White to have as a backup.
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#24 trojangolfer

trojangolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58988
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostPLogsdon, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

anyone have any experiences with the Ogio Woode system?  It seems like it would be the best of all as far as dividers go.  Plus I can get an older model Grom on eBay for about $60.  Problem with the Grom is it's heavy as **** and I'm pretty sure the legs are terrible...
Attachment ogio_woode.JPG

I have the Ozone with the same Woode system. It is the absolute best. I have individual wells for my putter, drive, 4 wood, hybrid and sand wedge (which is what I chip with, so it gets its own slot). The irons then go 3 each in the three larger wells. To me, this is vastly superior to a 14-way divider or something like a 5 or 6 way divider.

#25 nah18

nah18

www.thegolfgroover.com

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115337
  • Handicap:8.7
  • Ebay ID:dodgerdong

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Both are great bags. Just bought the new hoofer after 2 years with the titleist. The hoofer seems to fit better in the cart for me. I haven't had the chance to walk a round with it yet however. I haven't had any problems with clubs getting stuck with the hoofer either. The titleist bag didn't last as long as I would have expected as it got a couple rips and the color really faded fast. I don't think you can go wrong with either bag though.

SLDR w/Matrix RUL
SLDR Mini w/ADDI 7
j40 & i20 hybrid
i20 irons
Cleveland and Callaway MD2
Golo 7 Dual Balance

#26 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Posttrojangolfer, on 26 February 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostPLogsdon, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Attachment ogio_woode.JPG

I have the Ozone with the same Woode system. It is the absolute best. I have individual wells for my putter, drive, 4 wood, hybrid and sand wedge (which is what I chip with, so it gets its own slot). The irons then go 3 each in the three larger wells. To me, this is vastly superior to a 14-way divider or something like a 5 or 6 way divider.

My Ogio Sprint has it.  It's pretty nice, not going to lie.  I like the looks of Hoofers 10x better, but you can't knock Ogio performance.

#27 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I prefer the 2012 and 2013 Titleist over the Ping bags.  Quality, features, looks...better on the Titleist.
Callaway X2H 10.5, Tour Green, 44.5
Callaway X2HP 17, X2H hybrid 19
Callaway XHP 5-AW, PX 95 5.5
Cobra TR 55/TM TP 58, Tour Issue S400
Ping Karsten TR B60, 35"
TM TP

#28 jdotconnor

jdotconnor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130876

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I chose the 2013 hoofer over the titleist because of the lack of split dual straps. Even as far as contacting sun mountain and seeing if I could buy the split straps separately. I chose the hoofer over the 4- series because my father and I both have mid size golf pride VDR grips on all our clubs and he has trouble with space in the bag and grips getting stuck on each other.

#29 mholmstrom

mholmstrom

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137469
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I might be the perfect person to ask about this topic since I've used both bags this year. I started with the Titleist Bag which was stolen out of my car - and I replaced it with the Ping Hoofer. After using both bags, I would say there are pro's and con's to both.  I found the Titleist bag to have a slightly more comfortable carry strap system out of the box. I had to fiddle with the Ping bag quite a bit to get it to fit right, but it works just fine now. I rarely encountered club tangling with the Titleist bag, but with the Ping, it's fairly common because of the 6-way compartment instead of the 14-way Titleist offers. That being said, it doesnt really bother me much and it's much easier to get the clubs in and out when the bag is sitting upright. When you have the stand deployed, for some reason the clubs tangle easier going in and coming out. Overall I prefer the design of the ping bag. It has more pockets, the drink compartment is better designed, and the small things like zipper pulls are easier to grab.  I would score the Titleist bag an 8.5 and the Ping bag a 9+.

#30 shortgame85

shortgame85

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41904
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have used a Titleist Japanese carry bag for the past four years.  I recently replaced it with a 2013 Hoofer.  I walk and ride.  The Hoofer works well for both purposes.  I find the straps comfortable.  While I wish there was another divider in the bag, I really have had little trouble pulling or replacing clubs in it.  The Hoofer has a lower, trimmer profile than the Titleist, which I prefer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors