Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Broken Club Legal?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shaqblack

shaqblack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126649
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi,
I played a round a few weeks ago and a little piece in the back of the driver that isn't very important fell off. I kept playing in tournaments thinking it's fine but a friend of mine said to me a few days ago that playing with a broken club isn't legal. Is playing with a broken club that doesn't really affect shots legal?
Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

#insideTMAG

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Rule 4-1b provides that:

A club that conforms with the Rules when new is deemed to conform after wear through normal use. Any part of a club that has been purposely altered is regarded as new and must, in its altered stated, conform with the Rules.
SLDR 12*
SLDR 3HL/V-Steel 5
Tour Preferred CB 4-6 MB 7-PW
Vokey SM4 Wedges
Ghost Daytona Rossa

#3 shaqblack

shaqblack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126649
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostbruinsPATSirish, on 23 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Rule 4-1b provides that:

A club that conforms with the Rules when new is deemed to conform after wear through normal use. Any part of a club that has been purposely altered is regarded as new and must, in its altered stated, conform with the Rules.

Thanks! Much Appreciated

#4 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

#insideTMAG

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

No problem!
SLDR 12*
SLDR 3HL/V-Steel 5
Tour Preferred CB 4-6 MB 7-PW
Vokey SM4 Wedges
Ghost Daytona Rossa

#5 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Damage a club during the round and continue to use it and you may have some problems.  

Happened in a Tour event several years ago.  A player slammed his driver against his bag and dimpled the shaft of one of his wedges - someone caught wind and he was penalized for something I still don't understand.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#6 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1072

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postshaqblack, on 23 February 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Hi,
I played a round a few weeks ago and a little piece in the back of the driver that isn't very important fell off. I kept playing in tournaments thinking it's fine but a friend of mine said to me a few days ago that playing with a broken club isn't legal. Is playing with a broken club that doesn't really affect shots legal?
Thanks

According to 4-3 c, you may use the club in subsequent rounds as long as the damage does not make the club non-conforming.  You say it "isn't very important."  If you mean by that that it hasn't changed the legality of the club, then go ahead.

c. Damage Prior to Round
A player may use a club damaged prior to a round, provided the club, in its damaged state, conforms with the Rules.
Damage to a club that occurred prior to a round may be repaired during the round, provided the playing characteristics are not changed and play is not unduly delayed.

#7 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

as long as temper or purposely trying to alter the club is not involved you are good.  Leaning on your club is OK, club bent on a follow thru hits a tree is ok, but tossing it on purpose, slamming it into the ground due to frustration and/temper.....this now makes the club illegal.  If you club becomes unususable diring the course of play, you can even borrow one from a partner or opponant with out penalty.

#8 Sooner7x

Sooner7x

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119159
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

View Postspitfisher, on 23 February 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

as long as temper or purposely trying to alter the club is not involved you are good.  Leaning on your club is OK, club bent on a follow thru hits a tree is ok, but tossing it on purpose, slamming it into the ground due to frustration and/temper.....this now makes the club illegal.  If you club becomes unususable diring the course of play, you can even borrow one from a partner or opponant with out penalty.

The reason a club is damaged would affect weather or not you could replace it. But not if you could keep using it.

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

You CANNOT borrow a club selected for play by your partner or opponent, or anyone else playing on the course.  See Rules 4-3a and 4-4a.

#10 Sooner7x

Sooner7x

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119159
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

4-4b  
  Partners May Share Clubs

Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the partners so sharing does not exceed fourteen.- See more at: http://www.usga.org/...h.NTGvRRGR.dpuf
Partners May Share Clubs

View Postrogolf, on 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

You CANNOT borrow a club selected for play by your partner or opponent, or anyone else playing on the course.  See Rules 4-3a and 4-4a.

Edited by Sooner7x, 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Yes, I'm aware of that exception.  However, it rarely comes into play, probably because of the limit of 14 total clubs.  In fact, I can't ever recall seeing partners (as per the definition) share clubs - doesn't mean it never happens.

View PostSooner7x, on 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

4-4b  
  Partners May Share Clubs

Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the partners so sharing does not exceed fourteen.- See more at: http://www.usga.org/...h.NTGvRRGR.dpuf
Partners May Share Clubs

View Postrogolf, on 27 February 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

#12 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

View Postlumberman2462, on 23 February 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Damage a club during the round and continue to use it and you may have some problems.  

Happened in a Tour event several years ago.  A player slammed his driver against his bag and dimpled the shaft of one of his wedges - someone caught wind and he was penalized for something I still don't understand.

When the player slammed his club against his bag and dimpled the shaft by doing so he was deemed to have purposely altered his club and therefore made it non conforming.

Shambles

#13 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1072

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I wonder if in the entire history of golf two partners ever started a round with an average of 7 or fewer clubs each, or a total of 14 or less.

I suppose if I met a friend on the street who didn't have clubs with him and wanted to play and wished to share my 14 (yes, I push the envelope and carry every one of 14) that could happen.  But I'm an old guy, and it hasn't happend yet.

Funny rule.  Fair, but funny.

#14 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostSawgrass, on 27 February 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

I wonder if in the entire history of golf two partners ever started a round with an average of 7 or fewer clubs each, or a total of 14 or less.

I suppose if I met a friend on the street who didn't have clubs with him and wanted to play and wished to share my 14 (yes, I push the envelope and carry every one of 14) that could happen.  But I'm an old guy, and it hasn't happend yet.

Funny rule.  Fair, but funny.

I agree it's funny. Makes me want to find a flight to try it out with.

I also think it's a natural progression carried to a little extreme of the basic principle that you play with the tools you brought to the course, but with a 14 club limit.

Shambles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors