Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

any pointers on my swing + guess my handicap - from the uk

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139020
  • Ebay ID:ally_lodge
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

any tips on my swing? + guess my handicap

Edited by Ally, 23 February 2013 - 02:20 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1948

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Handicap? 2

Pointers? Move somewhere warm.

;)

#3 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 23 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Handicap? 2

;)

thinking about going to university in america so hopefully will be able to move to somewhere warm !
and no not 2 handicap - i'm a bit of a bandit at the moment !

#4 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56202
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Looks pretty good. I might experiment with standing a little taller.
It seems like there's a slight bit of lift at the top.
Maybe a tendency to come over the top and either yank them or hit weak right fades?
I'd guess 6-7

#5 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostIM_ALL_IN, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Looks pretty good. I might experiment with standing a little taller.
It seems like there's a slight bit of lift at the top.
Maybe a tendency to come over the top and either yank them or hit weak right fades?
I'd guess 6-7

yup, the lift is really bugging me at the moment. going to upload a driver swing when i can though because driving the ball is easily the worst part of my game.
do you know of any drills/methods that might help stop the lift at the stop ?

and my handicap is 15 ! my short game isn't bad, my putting isn't bad either but my driving is awful, last 5 rounds i've only hit around 1 in 5 fairway

Edited by Ally, 27 March 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#6 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

most recent swing vids

#7 Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221601
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Handicap? 2

;)
And drier, sheesh!

#8 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostUpgrayedd, on 16 March 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Handicap? 2

;)
And drier, sheesh!
don't worry, as soon as i'm done with school/possibly university im off to the usa :)

#9 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

newest swing vid, two things i'm having problems with -
basically no hip turn, woops.
pelvis moving towards the ball.

still hanging around a 15 handicap, but i'm slowly getting there.

#10 bennypotter

bennypotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 245213
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

Swing looks nice and text book. I wouldnt work on anything technical, just start building consistency and trust in your swing. With a swing as up and down (this is awesome) as yours there isnt going to be much more going wrong other than timing. Hit balls and build trust in your swing. Also if you want to get low work on your short game more...more than your long game, you wont realise it now off 15 but once you get to 5 you are going to want to pay anything for a strong short game. What you consider a good short game off 15 is proabably a bit tainted by how many shots you have to play with, 130 and in is where the money is. You wont regret the effort you put in.

Also, please dont take this the wrong way, but try not to start thinking you are better than what you are. Yes you have a great looking swing and there is a lot of potential to score consitently low, but your skills on the course are not there yet. Remember you are a 15 handicap right now, not 2, so take it one shot at a time. I only say this because i see so many golfers with good swings and mid/high handicaps beleive they should be shooting 72 because there swing is solid. It is not the case, Learning to hit a golf ball and learning to score are two very different things. If you want to score low and bring your handicap down you have to learn how to score, how to scramble pars from crap spots, how to make birdie from in the trees and how to make good bogeys! This comes by playing the golf course and learning from your failures.

I suggest short game practice and scoring practice! Play the course with two balls and always take the worst one or diliberatly hit it in the trees so you can build your skills and knowledge under preassure. You'll learn how to grind out a score no matter how high or low and you will be better technically and mentally for doing so. Remember SCORING well is easy when you are playing well FIR GIR and 1 putt! The trick is to score well when you are playing bad, thats a truely good golfer.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 tigerstew

tigerstew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 242501
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

18-21 handicap I'd say

#12 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

"Good Looking Golf Swing" does not equal "Good Golfing"...

At least not all of the time...

#13 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

thanks for all the comments ! in the last few rounds i have discovered that it's all about short game, as some of you have said. i'm very happy tee to green but putting and scrambling is awful. so i'm going to the course every day i can and doing short game drills/games that my pro gave me which are also quite fun. in terms of mental ? i'm good but i can't keep it together for the whole round. example, on sunday; went 3 pars and then a 9 on the SI 1 which was a bit unlucky. but then i couldn't get it out of my head and fell apart. still shot under my handicap(with 40 putts!) but i know it can be better.

so for the next few weeks, at least until/after exams,its just short game.

sorry if that was a bit long ! thanks for the comments again.

#14 bennypotter

bennypotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 245213
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostAlly, on 15 April 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

In terms of mental ? i'm good but i can't keep it together for the whole round. example, on sunday; went 3 pars and then a 9 on the SI 1 which was a bit unlucky. but then i couldn't get it out of my head and fell apart.

The 9 is just something that will happen off 15. You don't yet have the experience of damage control and dealing with the pressure when you can feel a "card wrecker" coming on. Learning to score (course practice) will eventually get rid of this with hard shortgame practice. Again the reason you cant get it out of your head is because of the pressure it has just put you under +4/5 depending on the par of the hole is a roughly a third of your shots. A sports psychologist once told me when I spoke to him about similar issue in my own game to "deal with it" ha! when i probed him further what he meant was, you are going to have blow ups, bad scores and rounds, every golfer does (Bubba Watson on 12th at Masters comes to mind). What you must do when this happens is accept it WILL happen and trust in your ability to get it back, you should not let one score dictate your round whats to say you wont go birdies 3 holes in a row?...your swing is good enough! Trust in your skill, truly believe you can get those shots back and enjoy the challenge of grinding out a score...even if you shoot 100.

#15 Ally

Ally

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

thanks for the advice ! really helpful. going to practice now ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors