Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

PGA Tour to announce opposition to anchored putting ban on Sunday

668 replies to this topic

#1 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:5.1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Wow....

http://www.golf.com/...ting-ban-sunday

Callaway Alpha 815 - Rogue Silver 60
X2HP 15* - Speeder Tour Spec 7.2
TM UDI 1 iron - CTaper Lite
TM SLDR 4-PW - Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM5 - 52* - 56* - 60*
SC MOTO SB - 35"
TM Tour Preferred

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1694

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Not really that big a deal.  The PGA Tour will tell the USGA they oppose the anchor ban.  The USGA, seated in their ivory tower, will ignore this and change the rule anyway.  And the PGA Tour will play under the new USGA/R&A rule despite their opposition.

Edited by 502 to Right, 22 February 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Driver through LW: mostly Cleveland
Putter: Anser 2 style made by Titleist

#3 paulshack

paulshack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149861
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

what about thurs fri & saturday?

#4 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 685

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Post502 to Right, on 22 February 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Not really that big a deal.  The PGA Tour will tell the USGA they oppose the anchor ban.  The USGA, seated in their ivory tower, will ignore this and change the rule anyway.  And the PGA Tour will play under the new USGA/R&A rule despite their opposition.

I don't know that I agree...for the PGA tour to basically draw a line in the sand on this issue is, imo, a big deal - In the past the USGA has not done well with significant opposition to a rule change/modification (see Ping)...and I can't think of any other such "proposal" which has drawn such spirited debate on both sides...I also don't know that it's a slam dunk that the PGA will just follow suit...especially with the possibility of the local rule option...

#5 rustyputterguy

rustyputterguy

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13018
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postpaulshack, on 22 February 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

what about thurs fri & saturday?
Some one had to say it, thank you. :)

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

#6 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1694

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 22 February 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I don't know that I agree...for the PGA tour to basically draw a line in the sand on this issue is, imo, a big deal - In the past the USGA has not done well with significant opposition to a rule change/modification (see Ping)...and I can't think of any other such "proposal" which has drawn such spirited debate on both sides...I also don't know that it's a slam dunk that the PGA will just follow suit...especially with the possibility of the local rule option...

But the PGA Tour isn't drawing a line in the sand.  They are saying, "We don't like this proposed rule."  If Tim Finchem says the PGA Tour has decided they will not follow the rule if instituted, then I will be impressed.  But he's not going to say that.

The reason the PGA Tour is going to follow the rule if imposed is because 2 of the 4 majors are guaranteed to ban the anchored stroke (the U.S. Open and British Open--which are run by the USGA and R& A respectively).  The PGA Tour is not going create a dilemma for their members to use the anchored stroke for most tournaments--but then be barred from doing so for 2 of 4 majors.
Driver through LW: mostly Cleveland
Putter: Anser 2 style made by Titleist

#7 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 685

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Post502 to Right, on 22 February 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

But the PGA Tour isn't drawing a line in the sand.  They are saying, "We don't like this proposed rule."  If Tim Finchem says the PGA Tour has decided they will not follow the rule if instituted, then I will be impressed.  But he's not going to say that.

The reason the PGA Tour is going to follow the rule if imposed is because 2 of the 4 majors are guaranteed to ban the anchored stroke (the U.S. Open and British Open--which are run by the USGA and R& A respectively).  The PGA Tour is not going create a dilemma for their members to use the anchored stroke for most tournaments--but then be barred from doing so for 2 of 4 majors.

I don't necessarily disagree with that you think it is going to happen...but there is a little sliver of me which thinks the PGA might say what you're stating they won't...and there is an even bigger part of me which thinks the PGA would toss in the possibility of enacting a local rule for all PGA tour events...as much as most people care about the majors, I think there are many more tour players who make their livings outside of these 4 events and would be just fine with the PGA tour doing it's own thing on this....couple this reality with the fact the USGA needs the PGA to support this rule for it to be successful and we have ourselves a wonderful little pissing match...

#8 24vince

24vince

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163671
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

And it could very well end up 3 of 4....My guess is Augusta will probably follow suit with both Opens....Which would make it a mute point, I dont see any of the pro's trying to win a Major using a putting style they dont use year round. (I understand guys switch putters and even strokes but usually because they're searching for something, if they find that something they stay put till it runs out)

But thats just a guess....

#9 turtleback

turtleback

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79242
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Sure, because players are very likely to want to play 2 or 3 of THE most important tournaments of the year (US Open, British Open, and almost certainly the Masters) using a completely diifferent putter than they use the rest of the year.  If the USGA and the R&A hold fast the PGATour will fold like a cheap suitcase, IMO.

#10 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56202
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

View Postturtleback, on 23 February 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

Sure, because players are very likely to want to play 2 or 3 of THE most important tournaments of the year (US Open, British Open, and almost certainly the Masters) using a completely diifferent putter than they use the rest of the year.  If the USGA and the R&A hold fast the PGATour will fold like a cheap suitcase, IMO.

If they putt better with an anchor style of course they will. You're talking about 2-3 tournaments per year while there's still ~40 other tournaments a year including a 10 million dollar fed ex cup. They will putt with whatever works better and if the US Open/British won't allow it, they'll either putt with a standard size putter or simply skip it. Not a big deal.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56202
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Of course he isn't going to come out and say that, there's no need to. He certainly will down the road if needed, but at this point, the rule is not instituted and "discussion" is still taking place.

The members themselves are asking for that dilemma. The PAC represents the players and they give the recommendation to the the Tour/Finchem who then relays that message to the world.

#12 nichho

nichho

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75678
  • Ebay ID:nichho
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

There is also the decision of the European Tour to consider. I know that they are separate organisations and could quite happily go their separate ways but then there are the co-sanctioned events such as the WGC, how will they work, Euro Tour members no anchoring PGA Tour members anchored. And what about the co-sanctioned Asian Tour events and Fincham's expansion plans.
For what it's worth (nothing) I believe the PGA Tour are taking a stance on behalf of their members, but that after all the behind close doors politiking has finished and if the ruling bodies go ahead with their decision, the PGA Tour will comply.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Stock Fujuk  S
Mizuno MP650 3 Wood Orochi Red Eye Stiff
Mizuno MP650 20* Hybrid Orochi Red Eye
Wilson FG Tour V2 KBS stiff
Scotty Cameron Golo 5S
Cleveland 50*, 54* & 58*

#13 Dead Solid Perfect

Dead Solid Perfect

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23405
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

The USGA/R&A have put themselves in a corner with this proposal.  The problem they have is they have admittedly said there is no data that shows putting with a belly putter is an advantage.  They come off like grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.  What they don't like IMOP is the look of the stroke.  Also, the amount of time belly putters have been in play is an issue.  Long putters have been around as long as the Sand Wedge, just nobody was winning with them. They were in the shadows of the game for the most part.  The misconception of the belly is that it is fixed so it's cheating.  This is not true the putter can waver from it's path just as easily.  If you show me a guy using a belly I will show you a guy missing short putts, nothing is certain even with a belly.  Belly putters do help eliminate the yips but so does the pencil grip, left hand low, and the claw.  
Another trend we are seeing in putting is the use of large grips this is also meant to stop small twitchy movements of the hands should it be banned?  I've stated before in a time where rounds played are trending downward, time for play is diminishing, golf balls with 5 layers, is this what the USGA needs to be focusing on.

Now if the USGA/RA come up with data that shows it is a significant advantage then I guess they will have at least a leg to stand on, but I think those numbers are going to be hard to find.

#14 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Agreed !!! The PGA Tour did not stand firm on other changes, ( Grooves, Wedges, COR, Etc... )
This rule as others ,are not that big of a deal !!!  Another cackling hen item, added to a long list !!!!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Mizuno 850 Forged  5-PW, Nippon 950
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*,56*,& 60*degree Wedge

#15 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

People have to remember that this is still just a proposed rule change.  If the PGA Tour and the rest of the worldwide tours (Euro Tour, Asian Tour, Sunshine Tour, etc) all stand together an oppose this proposed ban, there will be plenty of pressure on the USGA and the R&A to scrap the proposal.  The pro tours have more leverage than you think in this situation....they key is that they all need to stand together in this, if the PGA Tour is truly going to come out publicly against the proposed ban.

I personally think its gonna look awfully stupid if two of the 4 majors each year are going to be played under basically a different rule book.

This is a completely different situation than the wedge/groove issue.  This putting issue is going to force people who use a belly/anchored putter to fundamentally change the way they play the game.  Getting a new wedge with conforming grooves really didnt affect the game that much...good players can still get plenty of spin on a ball.  Making players play a piece of equipment they dont want to play is an entirely different animal.

Edited by JaNelson38, 23 February 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#16 2zlinks

2zlinks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10091
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostDead Solid Perfect, on 23 February 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

The USGA/R&A have put themselves in a corner with this proposal.  The problem they have is they have admittedly said there is no data that shows putting with a belly putter is an advantage.  They come off like grumpy old men yelling get off my lawn.  What they don't like IMOP is the look of the stroke.  Also, the amount of time belly putters have been in play is an issue.  Long putters have been around as long as the Sand Wedge, just nobody was winning with them. They were in the shadows of the game for the most part.  The misconception of the belly is that it is fixed so it's cheating.  This is not true the putter can waver from it's path just as easily.  If you show me a guy using a belly I will show you a guy missing short putts, nothing is certain even with a belly.  Belly putters do help eliminate the yips but so does the pencil grip, left hand low, and the claw.  
Another trend we are seeing in putting is the use of large grips this is also meant to stop small twitchy movements of the hands should it be banned?  I've stated before in a time where rounds played are trending downward, time for play is diminishing, golf balls with 5 layers, is this what the USGA needs to be focusing on.

Now if the USGA/RA come up with data that shows it is a significant advantage then I guess they will have at least a leg to stand on, but I think those numbers are going to be hard to find.

Great post, my point exactly!

#17 fore

fore

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1981
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

So now Finchem is going to add his voice to the whining about the anchored stroke ruling and we'll have another 30 page thread about if it's an advantage or not. Then  folks will say they should be looking at slow play instead or hybrids or scaling back the ball...

It's only about if should it be legal to anchor the pivot point of the club.

Did that article say Tim Clark can't putt conventional because of a wrist injury?  ahh sure, ok

#18 2zlinks

2zlinks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10091
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Keegan Bradley tweeted a pic from inside the Riviera clubhouse of a golfer in the early 1900's using an anchored stroke. I don't think it is a stroke but I also think the USGA missed the boat on this. Let's call it what it is, a knee jerk reaction to the stroke winning some majors.

#19 fore

fore

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1981
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Post2zlinks, on 23 February 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Keegan Bradley tweeted a pic from inside the Riviera clubhouse of a golfer in the early 1900's using an anchored stroke. I don't think it is a stroke but I also think the USGA missed the boat on this. Let's call it what it is, a knee jerk reaction to the stroke winning some majors.

I saw Charlie Owens using an anchored long putter in the 80's. No doubt, it took the ruling bodies a long time to make a decision.

#20 turtleback

turtleback

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

View Postnichho, on 23 February 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

There is also the decision of the European Tour to consider. I know that they are separate organisations and could quite happily go their separate ways but then there are the co-sanctioned events such as the WGC, how will they work, Euro Tour members no anchoring PGA Tour members anchored. And what about the co-sanctioned Asian Tour events and Fincham's expansion plans.
For what it's worth (nothing) I believe the PGA Tour are taking a stance on behalf of their members, but that after all the behind close doors politiking has finished and if the ruling bodies go ahead with their decision, the PGA Tour will comply.

I agree, because ultimately the decision will be made by the TOUR advisory board, not the PLAYERS advisory board.   And the Tour advisory board has sponsors and businessmen on it that have access to their own PR guys who will tell them just what a big PR mistake this would be for the PGATour.  The Tour Advisory Board makes the decisions.  The Players advisory board just makes recommendations.  There are only 4 players on the Tour advisory board.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

good for the PGA Tour

#22 turtleback

turtleback

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postthatsone, on 23 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

So now Finchem is going to add his voice to the whining about the anchored stroke ruling and we'll have another 30 page thread about if it's an advantage or not. Then  folks will say they should be looking at slow play instead or hybrids or scaling back the ball...

It's only about if should it be legal to anchor the pivot point of the club.

Did that article say Tim Clark can't putt conventional because of a wrist injury?  ahh sure, ok

Yeah, he can't putt but he can chip and take a full swing.  Uh huh.  Balderdash.

#23 Jamboy72

Jamboy72