Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the worst weather you have played in?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1949

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Played a junior tournament in the spring oncw where the temp was close to freezing and winds were gusting over 100 kmph. They took the girls and the under 13 boys off the course because one kid got blown down a hill.

Living where I live and being willing to play in any weather growing up I've seen pretty much everything. Plenty of snow and hail, plenty of cold, you name it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 is76550

is76550

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67313
  • Ebay ID:isaac76550
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Qualifying for a high school match it was snowing so much by the third hole you couldn't see your ball. Still had to finish.
Tour issue Supertri 9.5* w/PX Black
Black R11 Ti 15* w/ PX Black
Rescue TP 19* w/ PX Black
AP2 712 4-GW w/ Project X 6.0
Vokey Spin Milled 56,60 w/ Project X 6.0
Custom Machine Damascus Center Shaft
WITB Link

#33 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

This was actually last year for me, 36* but windchills down to 30*.. 20mph winds, freezing rain and sleet combination.. which lasted for 10 holes.. couldn't grip a thing, no feel left in my hands whatsoever....it was miserable but we had to get the round in or give up too many points in our league.

#34 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostChrisX831, on 22 February 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Played on monday at Ridgemark( Hollister, CA). It was 45 degrees, with 8mph wind constant. Not too bad...at least for the first 18 holes. We started the second course and WHAM, torrential down pour, and the temp continued to drop till it was about 38 and it began to hail on us. Fairways had puddles on them as well as the greens, and at this point every hole was filled to the brim with water. We love the game enough so we continued playing, but it got to the point where we couldn't feel our hands and every shot felt like I was hitting a rock with a 1 iron.

Still shot 82 so all is well that ends well :)
This is normal golf here in Western Wa. from Nov.- April. LOL Every weekend. Maybe leave out the hail and add intermittent showers and a little wind., Oh and lots of mud. Temps in 40's and dropping.
Played in wind so bad oe time theycame and got us off the course because larger fir and cedar branches were starting to fly long distances from the tops of 80 ft trees.

Edited by RainShadow, 24 February 2013 - 12:47 AM.

913D2 Kiyoshi W. 03 / Xhot 9.5 Devo
XHot 15*  & 19*stock PX
G25 23*
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
TP Mills Soft Tail / SC Monterey 1.5

#35 allenri2

allenri2

Spartan for life.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63423
  • Ebay ID:allenri2
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Like a lot of others in this thread, the worst weather I have ever played in was during high school golf.  I played high school golf in Michigan (2003-2006) with the districts, regionals and state finals all taking place in October.  Junior year we had regionals snowed out one day and had to play in equally cold weather a day or two later.  Since then I have had absolutely no interest playing in sub 30 degree temperatures.

I found Wednesday at the Matchplay interesting to see what techniques the players were using on the course to stay warm.  For high school golf I thought I had a pretty good system to stay warm on the course.  For my lower level, I work thick long socks, Under Armour tights, warm sweat pants with my rain pants over them (it was so cold that I was not concerned with over heating and wishing I was wearing just golf pants).  For my upper body I wore an Under Armour shirt, my team shirt, a tighter fitting sweater and my team rain jacket.  I also used an Under Armour quarterback's hand warmer with several hand warmers in it.  I thought this was awesome since I could keep my hands warm in it and then before hitting swivel it behind me so it was out of my way.  I alway found this to be more effective and efficient than wearing the big polar fleece gloves and taking them off and putting them somewhere before each shot.  I'm kinda surprised that guys that are Under Armour and Nike on tour have not taken advantage of something like this.

#36 matracy68

matracy68

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20426
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

I played Tobacco Road a year or so ago and the weatherman got the forcast all wrong. It was supposed to warm to the low 40's with possible sprinkles. Well, it never got out of the 30's and started to snow on the first tee. We elected to keep going since we made the commitment. The snow didn't stay long. It turned to sleet and then freezing rain, then plan rain. Miserable conditions on a beautiful course. We finished the round with our worst scores ever but have a story to tell about "extreme weather on an extreme course".

#37 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1130

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Coldest would be mid 20's. Played through a steady rain with another Wrx'er. And the strongest wind would be 30-40 mph gusts. I'll play in anything as long as there isn't any snow on the ground.
Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
Editor Product Reviews
Product Tester/Review Panel
Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
See ya on the green...Kadin

#38 TNSooner

TNSooner

Sooner Born & Sooner Bred

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7131
  • Handicap:+1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

College tournament in, of all places, San Antonio...Tapatio Springs Resort.

It was about 35 degrees, wind was blowing 30...made the golf course damn near unplayable.  Highlight was that I made a hole-in-one on what was then #17, and I guess it's now #8 on the "Valley" Course.

Edited by TNSooner, 24 February 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#39 Golfer_1993

Golfer_1993

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104759
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Last October, I was playing the Golf Town National Championship, which is the Canadian equivalent of GC Am Tour. We were playing at Doral in Miami.The practice round was ok with wind blowing around 10-15 mph, nothing horrible. But it got really worse in the following days, because Hurricane Sandy was coming up the east coast of Florida. We were supposed to play 4 rounds, we ended playing 3: 2 of them in constant rain and wind up to 40 mph and the third one in Sun and wind up to 30 mph. The second round was the hardest, with water on fairways and greens and wind blowing so hard, with the wind helping you we were hitting 330 yards and the wind in your face 200 yards and less. It was not fun.

#40 yumbrownies

yumbrownies

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123129
  • Ebay ID:djy2712
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

High 30s with wind and rain plus a 6-hour round during a college tournament made for an absolutely miserable day. The weather really starts to wear you down when you're also waiting on every tee box.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 littlechucky

littlechucky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6630
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Whistling straights in 45 mph wind and temperature in the low 40s.

My caddy said it was the worst weather he'd seen there in 5 years that didn't involve precipitation.  

If it had been at home I would have walked off.

I hit 1 green in reg....on the 18th.  Then 3 putted.

#42 AntLockyer

AntLockyer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122352
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostAntLockyer, on 23 February 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

About to leave for the course now it is below freezing with a 'feels like' 24f

Sea side course with a 15mph NNE

I won that comp :)

#43 DevRickus

DevRickus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231781
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I played a few weeks ago when it was 20 degrees out with light flurries. Was actually quite fun. Won't be doing it again any time soon.

#44 UofU02

UofU02

The upper hand is on the other foot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231449
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Tournament in St. George, Utah with a heat index near 120 degrees and not a breath of wind and not a cloud in the sky.  There was absolutely no where to hide for 5 hours.  I was dehydrated for days.
Callaway Optiforce 440cc
Callaway X Hot 15*
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* and 23*
Mizuno MP 63 5-W
Mizuno R12 Satin 50*, 54* and 58*
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport Custom

#45 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

I've played a few times during a typhoon, but I was much younger then. :)

These days I won't even play in a monsoon.

Shambles

#46 smashdn

smashdn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

The other day I walked nine and it was raining/sleeting/snowing.  Weather couldn't make up its mind I guess.  When I teed off it was probably 45 but the bottom just fell out.  I was playing after work and had only worn a light fleece jacket over a polo.  On the fourth hole I had pulled my towel from my bag and was using it as a hood/boggin hat.

#47 Double Mocha Man

Double Mocha Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 232183
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Played Pacific Dunes in December several years back.  Wore several layers of clothing... 45mph winds with a hard rain coming down.  Seven golfers set out on the course that day... only one finished.  My caddie wanted to quit after 15.  I told him I would carry and he could play... shamed him into finishing.  Funny guy.  Tipped him $100... 'twas the holiday season.  That night the power in the lodge went out because of the windstorm.  Ate dinner in the Scottish pub by generator.  One of my best golf memories ever!
3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

#48 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

While playing in a tournament last year towards the end of April, it never reached 40*.  On the range beforehand it was hailing to the point where I had to clear a area to stand on and swing on.  The hail stopped, the rain continued on and off, the winds never died day and the day was generally miserable.  Not a single player broke 80 (roughly 60 layers from scratch to a 8 handicap).
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 15* & 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Scratch Milled 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black Series #9

#49 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Handicap:6.2
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Good Friday April 2009 in Middle TN.  Siren sounded on the course alerting everyone to come into the clubhouse. Within 20 minutes of getting into clubhouse, we were sitting around and out of the corner of my eye, spotted a tornado forming about 2 miles away.  Looked like it was coming right at us.  At this point, we were asked to all get into the bathrooms(interior of the building). As a weather junky, it was hard for me to go into the bathroom.  The tornado did form(an EF4) and it caused death and destruction about a mile north of the course. It seemed like the twister went around the course.  As I was driving home shortly thereafter, I came upon flipped tractor trailer rigs and trees sheared off where the twister came across the freeway(I-24). I will never forget what the sky looked like when the tornado formed for as long as I am alive.

#50 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Junior tournament. Great course, people came from pretty good distances away so it had to go down I suppose. Temps in the 30s, constant 10-15mph wind, with ridiculous gusts. Couldn't feel anything by the time I finished.

Played 18 in sleet/freezing rain by choice while in HS as well. That was actually a very enjoyable round. Dressed well, walked it, and no wind so I was able to stay warm without issue.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 Golfin Teacher

Golfin Teacher

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131310
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

High of 32* for the day, 20mph wind, alternating rain and sleet.  I don't get to play very often with my dad, so whatever weather we are dealt, we go for it regardless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors