Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 3 votes

Footjoy M project review

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#121 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 871

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postspires1020, on 29 June 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

View Postswizbeatz, on 12 June 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

View Postswizbeatz, on 15 April 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Lost a spike at some point, 3 rounds. I prefer my Icons still but have been rotating each round and its pretty close.
An update to my earlier post, lost a spike in the heel every round I played by the turn. Returned them for something different.
I also keep losing spikes in white pair that I bought (I bought a white and black pair, I wear the white pair more often.) Walked for the first time today (all rounds prior have been in a cart, knees have been bothering me), and I was not too impressed with the lack of support in these shoes, luckily I didn't have any pain or accidents. They would be fine if I never walked, but that is how I try to play most of my rounds. I will likely be selling them soon and buying something else. I didn't have any pains but the hard ground I play in is a factor that I hadn't considered before.

If you bought the Project M's for support, you bought the wrong shoe, I hate to tell you.  They weren't designed for support....at all.  It's a minimalist barefoot design.  They take all the support OUT of the shoe.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#122 spires1020

spires1020

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136480
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

View Postsomaplr, on 12 July 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postspires1020, on 29 June 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

View Postswizbeatz, on 12 June 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

View Postswizbeatz, on 15 April 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Lost a spike at some point, 3 rounds. I prefer my Icons still but have been rotating each round and its pretty close.
An update to my earlier post, lost a spike in the heel every round I played by the turn. Returned them for something different.
I also keep losing spikes in white pair that I bought (I bought a white and black pair, I wear the white pair more often.) Walked for the first time today (all rounds prior have been in a cart, knees have been bothering me), and I was not too impressed with the lack of support in these shoes, luckily I didn't have any pain or accidents. They would be fine if I never walked, but that is how I try to play most of my rounds. I will likely be selling them soon and buying something else. I didn't have any pains but the hard ground I play in is a factor that I hadn't considered before.

If you bought the Project M's for support, you bought the wrong shoe, I hate to tell you.  They weren't designed for support....at all.  It's a minimalist barefoot design.  They take all the support OUT of the shoe.

Thank you Mr. Obvious!

Actually, I guess "support" as it is normally referred to when talking about shoes is not the same kind of support I was talking about, I did not have any foot pain after walking a full 18 holes. What I was referring to was how the shoe does not fit around my feet as snugly as I would like, causing my feet to feel like they were sliding around in the shoe, IMO they would be fine if you never walked 18+ holes with a full bag, ie cart golf. The truth is I wanted to like the shoes, I just did not think about how they would work for me as I walked the golf course with a fully loaded bag of golf clubs.
Callaway FT-5 9.5 | Mizuno MP Ti 16.5
PING S-57 3 | Mizuno MP33 4-PW
Nike VR Forged 52-56-60 | SC Cal Del Mar

#123 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

so for you?

#124 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Post78Staff, on 11 July 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

View Post78Staff, on 07 July 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I'm running into the same issue, have a pair of 10.5 XW, same as I wear in the Icons, and toes are definitely tight to the toecap.  In fact I wore them yesterday, and my toe still feels it this morning.  I probably am going to jump up to the 11 XW and get the BOA, which I prefer anyway.  For me the "size down" plan doesn't stick.

Wore the 10.5's a second time and they seemed more comfortable, not sure if they are stretching out a bit.  Still not convinced that I shouldn't move up to the 11, but can never find and XW to try.  Maybe a can find a 11W just to get a feel of the length before I order the BOA version.

Went ahead and ordered the BOA version, stayed with the same size, they felt more and more comfortable each time I wore them.  Of course they are "ships from Manufacturer" so I probably won't see them for a week or two :(.

Also ordered some PINS spikes, I haven't lost any yet but figured I would get ahead of the curve.  Grabbed the Pulsars, the Champs version (I ususally stay with Champs in the Icons) seems to be getting mixed reviews

Edited by 78Staff, 15 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

TM R1 Oban Kyoshi White 65 04
TM SLDR 15* Speeder 77S
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

#125 th6252

th6252

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2356
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Post78Staff, on 15 July 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

View Post78Staff, on 11 July 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

View Post78Staff, on 07 July 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I'm running into the same issue, have a pair of 10.5 XW, same as I wear in the Icons, and toes are definitely tight to the toecap.  In fact I wore them yesterday, and my toe still feels it this morning.  I probably am going to jump up to the 11 XW and get the BOA, which I prefer anyway.  For me the "size down" plan doesn't stick.

Wore the 10.5's a second time and they seemed more comfortable, not sure if they are stretching out a bit.  Still not convinced that I shouldn't move up to the 11, but can never find and XW to try.  Maybe a can find a 11W just to get a feel of the length before I order the BOA version.

Went ahead and ordered the BOA version, stayed with the same size, they felt more and more comfortable each time I wore them.  Of course they are "ships from Manufacturer" so I probably won't see them for a week or two :(.

Also ordered some PINS spikes, I haven't lost any yet but figured I would get ahead of the curve.  Grabbed the Pulsars, the Champs version (I ususally stay with Champs in the Icons) seems to be getting mixed reviews

did you notice if you're still getting that "rolling the ankle" feeling on the lead foot with the spiked version or was it something you only notice on artificial turf and not on grass?

#126 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

These are the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn.  Ecco streets on standby now.
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 9 Motore TS 6.2
Adams Super LS XTD 15, 19 Peanut 24
Titleist 762 5-PW DGS300
TM RBZ Tour GW, ATV 56, Vokey SM 60
Scotty Cameron Korza 34
Pro V1x

#127 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,891 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postth6252, on 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

did you notice if you're still getting that "rolling the ankle" feeling on the lead foot with the spiked version or was it something you only notice on artificial turf and not on grass?

It was only on mats, never noticed it on grass in the three rounds I've worn them so far.
TM SLDR 15* Speeder 77S
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#128 th6252

th6252

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2356

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Post78Staff, on 15 July 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

View Postth6252, on 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

It was only on mats, never noticed it on grass in the three rounds I've worn them so far.

awesome, that's what i was hoping for as the leather spiked version seems to fit my foot slightly better than the mesh spikeless version.

#129 NormG

NormG

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99122
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

WTF is up with the spike design in these shoes and the Adidas? I lose at least a spike a round. It's not the shoe, but the way the spikes fit into them. The connector is so easy you can twist it out with your fingers.

I love both these and the Adipures, but I'm so tired of losing spikes. Anyone else having this problem?

#130 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostNormG, on 16 July 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

WTF is up with the spike design in these shoes and the Adidas? I lose at least a spike a round. It's not the shoe, but the way the spikes fit into them. The connector is so easy you can twist it out with your fingers. I love both these and the Adipures, but I'm so tired of losing spikes. Anyone else having this problem?

They lock in.  I've already had to change my Project M spikes.  You only need to turn then about a quarter turn before they lock-in.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#131 NormG

NormG

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postsomaplr, on 16 July 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

WTF is up with the spike design in these shoes and the Adidas? I lose at least a spike a round. It's not the shoe, but the way the spikes fit into them. The connector is so easy you can twist it out with your fingers. I love both these and the Adipures, but I'm so tired of losing spikes. Anyone else having this problem?

They lock in.  I've already had to change my Project M spikes.  You only need to turn then about a quarter turn before they lock-in.

"Lock" is a bit of a stretch. They still fall out even when screwed all the way in.

#132 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

WTF is up with the spike design in these shoes and the Adidas? I lose at least a spike a round. It's not the shoe, but the way the spikes fit into them. The connector is so easy you can twist it out with your fingers.

I love both these and the Adipures, but I'm so tired of losing spikes. Anyone else having this problem?

I posted this earlier too but I lost a spike every round for ~10 rounds and had to return them to golfsmith.  They feel worse than any other shoe when a spikes missing because of the design IMO.   Good shoe but just couldn't make it work for me.
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi
WITB Link

#133 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,891 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm only four rounds in but haven't lost a spike yet...  I bought replacements as noted above but I'm kind leery of changing them lest I break whatever connection mojo I have going that has kept them from coming out lol.
TM SLDR 15* Speeder 77S
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#134 Jmckech

Jmckech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246585
  • Ebay ID:Jmckechnie65
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I tried them on this weekend. I found him a tad narrow.

#135 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I now have two pair.
Boa's in leather (love them and if they ever come out with a different color in the BOA's will buy)
Lace up spike less in cloth (Not a fan of the cloth. To my feet the leather is a more comfortable shoe)

The spiked BOA's have at least a half dozen rounds with no issues.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
Ping G15's with UST Recoils F3
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Protype ix #9HT putter

#136 NormG

NormG

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm at the point where I'm losing at least 3-4 spikes a round. I clean very well before putting in, still they come out.

I'm going to try and take all out, clean well, and put a touch of Loctite in each recepticle when they go back in. I'll let you know how it works.

#137 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

It's the same locking mechanism that is in most Adidas shoes as well.  Make sure it is flush and that you don't overturn.

#138 Bandy1080

Bandy1080

• 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129334
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostNormG, on 25 July 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm at the point where I'm losing at least 3-4 spikes a round. I clean very well before putting in, still they come out.

I'm going to try and take all out, clean well, and put a touch of Loctite in each recepticle when they go back in. I'll let you know how it works.

Are you walking on really hard ground or something?  The only time i have lost a spike is one time when the course I was at had crappy green mats at the driving range.  I am guessing that the ground is too hard for the agressive spikes on the project M's.  I would look into a pair of spikeless, not gluing your spikes in.

#139 NormG

NormG

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostBandy1080, on 25 July 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostNormG, on 25 July 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Are you walking on really hard ground or something?  The only time i have lost a spike is one time when the course I was at had crappy green mats at the driving range.  I am guessing that the ground is too hard for the agressive spikes on the project M's.  I would look into a pair of spikeless, not gluing your spikes in.

I walk on all kinds of ground. Last round I played it was farly soft and 2 different times the forward spike (mid-foot) in my leading she came out on my tee shots. Ground was not hard.

There is no avoiding it, I've done everything possible. Locktite is not glue, it will release w/ a spike wrench.

It's not like I'm the only one having this problem. The guys I know well @ my local shop tell me they get a ton of complaints and that some bring the shoes back because of it. The PINS system is simply defective.

#140 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35846

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postnova6868, on 26 February 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I was really excited to see FJ with a "minimal" shoe. Now I can't wait to try these.

Spiked or spikeless, that is the question. Or both?

Got one pair at my request for Xmas.  Now I own 3 pair in different colors.  These are the most comfortable shoe I have ever had, golf or otherwise.  It feels like I'm playing golf barefoot, which I find I like.  It does feel a little canted to me, with my right foot tilted inward a bit - good for the swing, we'll see what I think after a summer of walking the course in them.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#141 dschang

dschang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21426

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

I love these shoes. Most comfortable I've worn ever.
This is the first problem I have encountered:

Posted Image

Seems to be similar to other.  Any ideas on best way to get this fixed?

#142 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

I tried everything and kept losing them.  Took them back and traded for spikeless.
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi
WITB Link

#143 spires1020

spires1020

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136480
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

View Postdschang, on 14 April 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

I love these shoes. Most comfortable I've worn ever.
This is the first problem I have encountered:

Posted Image

Seems to be similar to other.  Any ideas on best way to get this fixed?

Try medium strength (blue) Loctite.
Callaway FT-5 9.5 | Mizuno MP Ti 16.5
PING S-57 3 | Mizuno MP33 4-PW
Nike VR Forged 52-56-60 | SC Cal Del Mar

#144 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,891 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

PINS system is a joke, I can't believe FJ (and Adidas, previously) even let this out of the research lab.

I have a pair, I quit wearing them but can't remember why, so I might try them again this weekend.
TM SLDR 15* Speeder 77S
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#145 Rp25546

Rp25546

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308539
  • Handicap:8

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

Note to anyone who's interested in getting a pair, they have a tendency to run pretty big. I usually wear a 13, but a 12 was plenty big enough for me!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors