Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone know what's going on at Dormie Club?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

So, I was scheduling a round at Dormie for Mid-March to take some family members down. Went to their website and submitted the email request as they suggested. I heard nothing back. Sent another request 4 days later, still nothing. Tried calling the 800 number 2 days after that. Then, figured I would search Google for a local number. I found one and gave it a try and finally found a human named Dottie. Told her my ordeal and she said, "I'm sorry, we are going through new management here and everyone was fired." Apparently, there has been a full change over of staff. Anyone know what's going on?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MrDuffer

MrDuffer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211161
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

X 2.  I'm in the process of trying to put something together for a quick 3 day trip around the same time and I was including Dormie in the mix, (Tobacco Road, Pine Needles and National as well).  Makes me  a bit concerned to pull the trigger without solid footing.  This from the course ranked #8 in NC by golf Digest???????????

#3 Scott@84

Scott@84

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 960
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Fantastic golf course and I thought the staff was excellent. That said in don't think they were getting much play. I hope everything works out for the best.
Taylormade SLDR UST Chrome
Taylormade MiniDriver 14* UST Attas GoGo
Taylormade SLDR 19* Attas RK100X
Taylormade TP MC 4-PW UST Recoil 125
Taylormade Japan ATV 52, 56, 60
Taylormade Crusader Stand Bag

#4 cottonseed

cottonseed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117277
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

It appears that it's been quite a mess down there for some time now. I know a website popped up recently that said it was going to be fully public, but then that site was declared by a club to be a spoof and they were still going to take the course private.  I don't know what's going on down there but I sure hope they get it straightened out. It's a fantastic course.

#5 ccurrent

ccurrent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231897
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

The Dormie Club is in trouble.  Almost all the staff is gone.  Don't think they are open for play at this point.

#6 potomacgolfer

potomacgolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35144
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Unfortunate but not surprising -- the course opened several years ago as a private club w/ a $120k initiation fee, then changed ownership and opened for "limited" public play (initially just for a year or so around 2011).  When I visited in 2011, I was a single, paid about $100 including a single-bag walking caddie, and saw just one other group the whole time.

#7 ahoop24

ahoop24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114004
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

I was fortunate enough to play the course in the fall and absolutely loved it. Great piece of land, amazing layout. Sad to see they've run into issues.
Titleist 913D3 Driver 9.5'
TM RBZ Tour 3 Wood 14.5'
Adams Idea Pro A12 20'
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro - 4-GW
Odyssey #2 Black Prototype
Callaway MD2 54 and 58

#8 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Go play it while you can!  I'm not surprised to hear they had a new management company take over, the bust killed them and they just did not have the member base and money to stay private.  They can make it as a daily fee course though, if managed properly.

I had the opportunity to play it both of the past two years and it is a wonderful course.  Great bunkering on the par 3s.  The star holes for me were 3 and 17.  3 is a downhill par 4 that is great risk/reward as it is reachable.  17 is a great Par 5, longer than the card says, second shot into the green is possible but it is nasty uphill and well guarded.  

The first time I played I called in and make a time, last year I happened to be driving through and managed to sneak off the route for a 6 hour "traffic detour".
Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#9 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Sad to hear this GEM of a course could be in trouble.  I include it as a must play when in Pinehurst.
Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

#10 LaterOn61

LaterOn61

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177194
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Once knew the pro Ogelsby. Wonder what has come of him in the mess.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MarkCPA

MarkCPA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63560
  • Ebay ID:mark-cpa
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Played there last year and was planning on it being a stop on the upcoming Pinehurst run.
Callaway X2 Hot 9* driver
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* FW
Titleist 913H 19* & 24* hybrids
Callaway X Hot Pro irons 5 - PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50*  54*  58*
Ping Karsten Anser 2 putter 33"

#12 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostLaterOn61, on 02 March 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Once knew the pro Ogelsby. Wonder what has come of him in the mess.

I met Paul the first time I played there.  A different member gave me his contact info when Dormie was private (verging on opening to public for money) to see if I can get on and he took care of it.  Ran into him again at Philadelphia Country Club where he is now.  Small world.

Edited by _MS22_, 02 March 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#13 Mags

Mags

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116659
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Great course.  Last I heard of it (at the end of last year) was they were going full private as of Jan 1.  If they underwent a management change though who knows if that actually happened.  Their website was always a bit of a mess, never providing any kind of useable info.
Ping i20 9.5, Fuji Motore F3
TEE CB3 16.5
Adams Super LS 19, A12 Pro 23
Adams MB2, Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM 52, Ping Tour S 58
Ping Ketsch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors