Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

OAKLEY GOLF-SPECIFIC PROGRESSIVE Rx LENSES

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

At $700, I'd like to be relatively sure about this step. Any experiences you can share regarding these lenses would be appreciated. I've pretty much decided on the G30 tint, now it's just the golf-specific progressive lens issue.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'd say just get regular Transitions and pocket the cash. They can be worn as every-day glasses too. BTW I'm in the eye care field if that is worth anything(usually not on the internet ;) )
I've gone to the Transitions Vantage myself. Yes, they are variable polarized lenses. Yes, polarized is typically a no-no for golf as it messes with reading greens. I've found no problems with them in that regard. Plus, I use them for fishing and every-day wear. One pair does it all. Yes, that also bites my bottom line to advise one pair and not many pairs of glasses but honesty wins in the long run.
PM me if you wish.

Edited by Willie Malay, 21 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#3 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I will add this. I'm not too up on the Oakley golf-specific lenses. I will read more about them and post back however.

#4 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Speaking from experience as well, go with the transitions lenses in a regular pair of glasses like Willie points out above.  I bought a pair of golf specific Callaway RX sunglasses(a wrap around style).  I never wear them. They are a wrap around style and because of that, I can not read anything like a scorecard/sky caddie that would be up close. With regular glasses on, I can peek out the bottom of the lenses to read things close up. Never have a problem reading greens and I believe I have the Transitions Neoflex model although my frames do not go all the way around my lenses(makes it easier to read up close this way). I recommend wearing a hat when you wear transitions as it shields some of the sun so they do not get as dark if you did not have a hat on.

#5 Edawg

Edawg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123452
  • Ebay ID:caedmon84
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostWillie Malay, on 21 February 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'd say just get regular Transitions and pocket the cash. They can be worn as every-day glasses too. BTW I'm in the eye care field if that is worth anything(usually not on the internet ;) )
I've gone to the Transitions Vantage myself. Yes, they are variable polarized lenses. Yes, polarized is typically a no-no for golf as it messes with reading greens. I've found no problems with them in that regard. Plus, I use them for fishing and every-day wear. One pair does it all. Yes, that also bites my bottom line to advise one pair and not many pairs of glasses but honesty wins in the long run.
PM me if you wish.

Just another opinion here, but I would stick with Oakley Lenses. While Transitions are nice, they don't quite offer the quality of protection that Oakley lenses do. The price is steep, but in the end they're worth it. As far as polarized lenses go, I wear my polarized Oakley Fives for every round of golf. Maybe the rule of thumb is no polarized on the golf course, but I feel I can read the greens better with them on. I would stick with Oakley lenses though....just my 2 cents.

#6 sirukuma

sirukuma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104446
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

My experience - I have transition lenses in a pair of my daily glasses.  I hate them on the golf course.  They are fine for bright sunny days, but if you play in the early morning, late evening, or overcast days, I find they still darken too much for the conditions.  A few years ago I bought a set of interchangeable Rx lenses with differing tints for a single frame from a company called Switch.  I've yet to find anything I like as well and I've got Rx Oakleys, Maui Jim's and a dozen other high end sunglasses.

#7 jchris74

jchris74

2 iron to 2 feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24325

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'm considering picking up a pair of Rx Flak Jackets.  A friend of mine has Transitions lenses in his and likes them a lot.  I haven't decided between standard G30 lenses or Transitions, but am leaning toward the latter.

#8 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Okay, when you say "Progressive"  you don't mean no-line bifocals, right? Personally I wouldn't go for that since I look through the bottom section of my glasses and the magnification change would drive me nuts.  

I have the Flak Jackets with the G30 lens, it's a great tint, light enough to wear on a hazy day. Still knocks down the sun and purely bright days. It takes a bit to get used to the shape of the lens, the curve of the frame is a lot different than most casual frames. Once you get over that, they're great.

#9 Terp

Terp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15256
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postjchris74, on 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

I'm considering picking up a pair of Rx Flak Jackets.  A friend of mine has Transitions lenses in his and likes them a lot.  I haven't decided between standard G30 lenses or Transitions, but am leaning toward the latter.

I have the Flak Jacket XLJs in the G30 lenses with Rx for distance only.  I never take them off on the course.  No problems with contrast, follwing the ball in flight, or reading greens.

#10 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostTerp, on 23 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I have the Flak Jacket XLJs in the G30 lenses with Rx for distance only.  I never take them off on the course.  No problems with contrast, follwing the ball in flight, or reading greens.

As do I, and have had them for years now.

G30 are really perfect for me on the course.

I'm about to update to the Fast Jacket frames with the click lock lens feature.

Posted Image

Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 jas904

jas904

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40202
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have Fast Jacket G30's with progressive bifocals.  I absolutely love them. They aren't a real dark tint, which is good because I wear them on the cloudiest of days along with regular sunny days.  I can't see distance so I pretty much have to wear them if I playing golf.  I would highly recommend them.
Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Tour AD DI 7
TM RBZ 14.5 X CON 7
Ping Rapture DI 18* TFC 949
Mizuno MP64 4-PW KBS Tour
Odyssey WH Pro 7 center shaft
Titleist SM5 50F, 55F, 60L

#12 jchris74

jchris74

2 iron to 2 feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostTerp, on 23 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

View Postjchris74, on 23 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Any concerns with peripheral vision?  I play with eyeglasses with thin arms, so I'm concerned that the Flak Jackets might bother me while playing given how thick the arms are.  Having never played with sunglasses, it could very well be a non-issue, but I have no idea at this point.

#13 jas904

jas904

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40202
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Jchris,
No problems with peripheral vision as they wrap around a bit. For me I didn't care for Flak Jackets because I could see out on the bottom of the lens, especially at address. The Fast Jacket XL's are slightly larger from to to bottom which worked great for me.
Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Tour AD DI 7
TM RBZ 14.5 X CON 7
Ping Rapture DI 18* TFC 949
Mizuno MP64 4-PW KBS Tour
Odyssey WH Pro 7 center shaft
Titleist SM5 50F, 55F, 60L

#14 jchris74

jchris74

2 iron to 2 feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

View Postjas904, on 24 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Jchris,
No problems with peripheral vision as they wrap around a bit. For me I didn't care for Flak Jackets because I could see out on the bottom of the lens, especially at address. The Fast Jacket XL's are slightly larger from to to bottom which worked great for me.

Thank you for the insight, sir!  Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors