Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why golf pants? What's wrong with khakis?

52 replies to this topic

#31 Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120682
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Poststeamcorners, on 20 February 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Stupid question, I'm sure..but why do I need golf pants whilst playing golf? Wouldn't everyday chinos/khakis/Dockers/etc work fine? I understand that the fabrics might be moisture-wicking or something--but if I were to show up at a nice course wearing traditional cotton khakis am I going to be laughed out of there?

Part of the reason I ask is I don't want to shell out the $$ for golf pants, especially in my fat-arse size. If I could pick up end-of-season deals, I'd be ok--but I wear either a 44 or 46 waist, depending on lunch, so deals are few and far between for my girth.

I actually go to TJ Maxx or Marshall's and get microfiber pants in different colors and stripe combos.  They are all "dress" slacks, so the  colors are limited to black, greys, navys, and khakis.  However, I'm an am.  The only time I'm wearing pants on the course is when it's cold in the fall and winter, so bright colors aren't really in.

I can usually find pants in my waist, but super long for $10-$15.  I take them to a tailor in my town and he hems them to fit me and puts the slits in the hem for $8.  So usually I end up with a nice looking pair of microfiber or wool blend slacks that are custom fit to me for about $20-$30 per pair.

And at that price, I'm really not concerned with mud.  If they get stained on the course, I'll toss 'em and get new ones.

And the best part is that sometimes those outlets have last year's golf specific pants.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

On topic:  Khakis are just fine.  Same with wool dress pants actually.  Assuming it was cool enough outside to wear them.  The creation of the golf pant was preciously because getting your good dress pants all dirty got to be a pain in the butt.

Off topic:  I always wear pants.  People then ask "Dude, we live in DC.  Its 95 out here and humid.  Aren't you hot?".  Of course I'm hot, and so are you in your shorts, but I don't have grass and dirt stuck all over my sweaty legs.

And then I walk away looking all fly.

#33 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

View Postdplasters, on 21 February 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Off topic:  I always wear pants.  People then ask "Dude, we live in DC.  Its 95 out here and humid.  Aren't you hot?".  Of course I'm hot, and so are you in your shorts, but I don't have grass and dirt stuck all over my sweaty legs.

And then I walk away looking all fly.

And then I go wash my dirty pants.

Fixed that for you. haha

#34 zoomzoom

zoomzoom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120706
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postdplasters, on 21 February 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

The creation of the golf pant was preciously because getting your good dress pants all dirty got to be a pain in the butt.

The way I see it, it's either dedicated golf pants or dedicated golf khakis.  If I have dedicated golf pants, I don't have to worry about getting mud, snags and chewed up cuffs on my khakis when I carry.

#35 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I wear the same slacks to work or play golf. Polyester microfiber dress slack in cool/pleasant weather and ultra lightweight UnderArmour "HeatGear" when it is hot or sticky. The UA pants are boderline work wear but so comfy I do indulge in them at work occasionally.

#36 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 21 February 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I wear the same slacks to work or play golf. Polyester microfiber dress slack in cool/pleasant weather and ultra lightweight UnderArmour "HeatGear" when it is hot or sticky. The UA pants are boderline work wear but so comfy I do indulge in them at work occasionally.

Slacks?  My Dad said slacks...

Oh, and I'm 45...haha

#37 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postscottvw13, on 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Oh, and I'm 45...haha

Hey, he COULD have said "trousers." Lol

#38 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostKMeloney, on 21 February 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Oh, and I'm 45...haha

Slacks or trousers are the superior terms used by a man of sartorial splendor.  Pants can refer to the hard breathing of a tired dog or some motley underwear. :cheesy:
Wilson Staff D-100 10.5*, Claymore R
WS D-100 3-wood, 19* hybrid, Matrix R
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
WS D-100 5-gw, Matrix Studio 6.1 R
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#39 steamcorners

steamcorners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192176
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Someone above mentioned kilts..wonder if I could get away with that this summer...
TM Superfast 2.0 9.5*
TM V-Steel 15* 3W and 18* 5W
Adams Super S Hybrid, 22*
Armour 845OS 5-W
TM ATV Wedges, 52* and 58*, Cleveland 64
Odyssey WHP #9

#40 Rye

Rye

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42812
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postsanjaygolf, on 21 February 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

(khaki is a color)

Not if you live outside the US.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 jah7838

jah7838

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76786
  • Ebay ID:jah7838
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I find khakis very comfortable on the course. Having a hard time finding a new pair. A few years back I found some that were boot cut, and they now need to be replaced. Anybody know of any pants that fit well over shoes. I hate the feeling of the pant legs bunching up at the top of my shoes. I just want a nice pair that has leg openings like boot cut jeans (I know it's asking a lot, lol)

#42 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostKMeloney, on 21 February 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Oh, and I'm 45...haha

If you talk with people in the UK, "pants" means underwear.   So I'm pretty careful to say trousers sometimes.   I rarely say slacks unless I'm adding dress in front-- "dress slacks".   I wouldn't say slacks by itself.

#43 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postjah7838, on 24 February 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

I find khakis very comfortable on the course. Having a hard time finding a new pair. A few years back I found some that were boot cut, and they now need to be replaced. Anybody know of any pants that fit well over shoes. I hate the feeling of the pant legs bunching up at the top of my shoes. I just want a nice pair that has leg openings like boot cut jeans (I know it's asking a lot, lol)
Don't know for sure that these are boot-cut but they look to be. If Shepler's doesn't have them, you can't find them.

#44 bortass

bortass

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59032
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Poststeamcorners, on 22 February 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Someone above mentioned kilts..wonder if I could get away with that this summer...
   Sure  can. I have worn a kilt golfing and they were nice and cool. Wind can kinda suck though, so I wore some compression shorts under them. It was funny the day a foursome of ladies behind me were trying to get a peek....

#45 sanjaygolf

sanjaygolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33562
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

There are a lot of brands that have boot cut khakis. Bonobos make really nice khakis

913D2 10.5 AD DI 8X
913Fd 15 Rombax P95 X
980F 19 ZCom Pro95 X
712U 2i PXI 6.5 // 712 AP2/CB DG TI X100
SM4 52 / TVD K 60 DG TI S400
TaylorMade Ghost Manta
WITB Link

#46 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Costco has some nice Greg Norman tech golf trousers for $24.  They are moisture wicking and have the slit cut on the side so they sit over the shoes.  Good deal.

And yes you can wear khakis on the course.

Edited by MileHighClub, 24 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#47 jah7838

jah7838

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76786
  • Ebay ID:jah7838
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Just have to find time to go and try different types on.

#48 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 1014

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Khakis is a color ;)

Nike dri-fit performance pants fit over shoes. I imagine the pro-chino pants guys have never felt or tried on Nike's performance pant line. They are farrrrrrrr more elastic than cotton and permit athletic movements much better. They are moisture wicking as well, unlike cotton chinos. They essentially don't get wet. There is nothing more hilarious than ************* on the golf course wearing chinos with swamp a**.

And btw, Nike's pants come in the color "khaki"

Edited by profsmitty, 25 February 2013 - 07:55 AM.
Unnecessary, inflammatory reference

#49 BlackOutZing

BlackOutZing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134380
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

View Postsomaplr, on 25 February 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

Khakis is a color ;)

Nike dri-fit performance pants fit over shoes. I imagine the pro-chino pants guys have never felt or tried on Nike's performance pant line. They are farrrrrrrr more elastic than cotton and permit athletic movements much better. They are moisture wicking as well, unlike cotton chinos. They essentially don't get wet. There is nothing more hilarious than ************* on the golf course wearing chinos with swamp a**.

And btw, Nike's pants come in the color "khaki"

Nice reply.  I have a couple pair of thinner Dockers that are awesome but they don't make them anymore.  Comfy and do not get soaking wet in the rain.  I honestly don't own a pair of "golf" pants just non pleated thinn pants and a few nice "golf" shorts.  BTW I can't stand cargos on the course.

#50 Graymulligan

Graymulligan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215421
  • Handicap:7ish
GolfWRX Likes : 301

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

See, I've gone just the other way.  I got a nice deal on some golf pants from my local Haggar outlet (their "cool 18" variety), and I've replaced my khakis that I usually wear to work with these.  They're comfortable, breath nicely, and look like dress pants.  Plus, they're more comfortable to leave the office and hit the first tee with.

Blue Biocell, Aldila NV
Jetspeed 3 wood
Mizzy JPX800 pros, x100 shafts
Mizzy JPX 54/58
Futura X

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostGraymulligan, on 25 February 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

See, I've gone just the other way.  I got a nice deal on some golf pants from my local Haggar outlet (their "cool 18" variety), and I've replaced my khakis that I usually wear to work with these.  They're comfortable, breath nicely, and look like dress pants.  Plus, they're more comfortable to leave the office and hit the first tee with.

I've worn Haggar Cool 18 for the past couple of years.   They aren't great for work, although I have worn them there.   They don't quite look like a pair of wool dress slacks, for instance.   They are awesome for golf, and for casual work environments.   I'll probably buy more.

#52 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Lol, golf specific pants are definitely not necessary - but more times than not, they are going to be more stylish than non-golf related pants.

I don't even own a pair of khakis / chinos anymore.  I wear either dri-fit type golf pants or my wool dress pants.  Chinos are absolutely fine and I expect to see the majority of golfers in them, but you won't catch me in a pair.

#53 MountainKing

MountainKing

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199340
  • Ebay ID:blackhawks1979
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm a big tech fabric guy being a runner and hockey player.  I gave the golf pants a run and loved them, in fact I replaced most of my "khaki" wardrobe with them...they have the feel and comfort of track type pants yet look nice enough to wear in a business casual environment.   With that said, I honestly could care less what anybody wears to the course as long as they're clothed, I'm there to play not to judge fashion so wear what looks good to ya!

Edited by MountainKing, 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors