Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Why golf pants? What's wrong with khakis?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 steamcorners

steamcorners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192176
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Stupid question, I'm sure..but why do I need golf pants whilst playing golf? Wouldn't everyday chinos/khakis/Dockers/etc work fine? I understand that the fabrics might be moisture-wicking or something--but if I were to show up at a nice course wearing traditional cotton khakis am I going to be laughed out of there?

Part of the reason I ask is I don't want to shell out the $$ for golf pants, especially in my fat-arse size. If I could pick up end-of-season deals, I'd be ok--but I wear either a 44 or 46 waist, depending on lunch, so deals are few and far between for my girth.

TM Superfast 2.0 9.5*
TM V-Steel 15* 3W and 18* 5W
Adams Super S Hybrid, 22*
Armour 845OS 5-W
TM ATV Wedges, 52* and 58*
TM Daddy Long Legs

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JPNC1977

JPNC1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114154
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

It's all in what you can handle in terms of fit and comfort. Most golf specific pants are made of synthetic fibers which promote breathability...Dri fit, Cool Max, etc.  This is a must in places with 100% humidity and plus 90 degree temps in summer. Traditional khakis are 100% cotton and will soak up sweat like a dry sponge.  Imagine wearing a wet diaper for 4 hours. No fun if you ask me.  In addition golf pants have flexibility and will not interfere with your swing.

But to answer your question, I've seen players where traditional khakis in the fall and winter without issue. But no jeans!!

#3 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

khakis are fine...stop worrying...go play golf.

#4 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm with you, Steam. I have yet to buy a pair of golf-specific pants, despite owning way too many other articles of golf clothing. I usually wear the same tailored-fit GAP pants/khakis I wear to work on the course when it's cold. I've even had a golf buddy comment that he needed to get new golf pants, and wanted to know where I got mine. So, even though they're not golf pants, I know they look appropriate and obviously fool people, too.

The way I see it, if it's cold enough to wear pants, then I'm probably not going to be sweating in them, which defeats the purpose of buying golf-specific pants. There are some in-between days, but not enough for me to be too concerned about it.

#5 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

No

#6 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Khakis are fine.

#7 methoddan

methoddan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192148
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

As a bigger guy, I understand the issues with finding clothing sizes. I've found the Kohl's online has a nice Big and Tall selection. For pants, I like their Haggar Cool 18 pants.  They are great for golf, work, and other dressier occasions.

http://www.kohls.com...ts-big-tall.jsp

#8 TitleistJunky80

TitleistJunky80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138789
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I don't think anyone is going to judge the way you look, I think regular Khakis will look fine. It's more of a personal preference with regard to comfort that you would benefit from by getting some golf specific pants. I finally sucked it up and got some of the Nike Dri-fit tech pants and I love the way they feel. I'm hooked and I'm gonna pony over some more cash to get a few more.

Bottom line, wear what you like.

#9 10of14

10of14

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101496
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostSkaffa77, on 20 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

khakis are fine...stop worrying...go play golf.

I prefer golf shorts all the time, but if I wear long pants, I wear "golf slacks" only for the comfort and because they are lighter, but that is purely a personal choice of mine.  A solid Docker type slack is fine too and many of my friends and family wear them.  As long as you keep your shirt tucked in and your denim off, I'm good with your choice of slacks (that was a HUGE topic on this site...sorry, I couldn't resist).

Edited by 10of14, 20 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#10 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

View Postmethoddan, on 20 February 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

As a bigger guy, I understand the issues with finding clothing sizes. I've found the Kohl's online has a nice Big and Tall selection. For pants, I like their Haggar Cool 18 pants.  They are great for golf, work, and other dressier occasions.

http://www.kohls.com...ts-big-tall.jsp

I second this.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Go full Monty if you like.

Monty's Laundry.jpg

Treat it like a walk in the park.

#12 steamcorners

steamcorners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192176
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Though the cargo shorts would be useful for hauling extra sleeves of balls (a necessity with my game) I won't stoop that low. No denim, either.

Ok. I'll stick with teh khakis (or decent shorts), unless I can find decent, cheap golf pants in the fat or gangly (I hate the euphemism "big and tall") section...

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by steamcorners, 20 February 2013 - 08:52 PM.

TM Superfast 2.0 9.5*
TM V-Steel 15* 3W and 18* 5W
Adams Super S Hybrid, 22*
Armour 845OS 5-W
TM ATV Wedges, 52* and 58*
TM Daddy Long Legs

#13 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

Greatest Putter Ever

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

People who are much more into fashion than I will tell you that khakis in general are out of style.  I personally don't care what anyone wears, but over the last few years, I've gotten rid of all but one pair of cotton khakis, in favor of thinner fabrics (none are specifically "golf pants"), mainly because it makes it cooler when I go to work in the warmer months, but also because the lighter weight is more comfortable, and IMO, looks better.  They also fade less quickly, and provide an option on borderline days when it might be a little too cool for shorts.  I still keep that pair of khakis for cold days.

Just make sure to stick with flat front pants, especially if you're going with khakis.  Pleats are rarely a good look.
Ping G25 8.5*, 45" Fuel TS 60X
Ping G25 15* AD BB 7x, 913F 19* D83X
913 Hd 23*, Diamana D+ White 102x
4-PW - Ping S56 Yellow dot, DG X100
WITB Link
Byron Morgan DH89/007
Ping Tour Gorge 54 SS/58 TS, DG Spinner

#14 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Handicap:6.2
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I vote for Khakis as well. I can find them in my size 35 x 29 's in some select places. Try finding any golf pants in that size(not going to happen). I hope the companies that sell golf pants are listening. Many folks wear a size 29 length. Many folks also have a size 35 waist.  I am not a short person either( 5 foot 10). I can wear them for work and golf and no problem. I can not find a pair of golf pants in that size(ever). Nike is the ony comapny that sells a 35 waist.  Not one other company sells a 29 length. They all start at 30.

#15 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Handicap:6.2
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Post3 Jack Par, on 20 February 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

People who are much more into fashion than I will tell you that khakis in general are out of style.  I personally don't care what anyone wears, but over the last few years, I've gotten rid of all but one pair of cotton khakis, in favor of thinner fabrics (none are specifically "golf pants"), mainly because it makes it cooler when I go to work in the warmer months, but also because the lighter weight is more comfortable, and IMO, looks better.  They also fade less quickly, and provide an option on borderline days when it might be a little too cool for shorts.  I still keep that pair of khakis for cold days.

Just make sure to stick with flat front pants, especially if you're going with khakis.  Pleats are rarely a good look.
Pleats work for people that like the extra room they provide.  May not look the best but they are more comfortable than the flat front pants you prefer. I personally prefer the comfort of a good cotton weave than I do the polyester style. Cotton is more comfortable on my skin than polyester or nylon or than any other fabric will be.

#16 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

As non golf fashion khakis are actually in. A lot of us college kids wearing them.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 05 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 670 mb 5-pw KBS tour stiff
WITB Link
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55, bstone j40 59
Scotty cameron circa 62 #5

#17 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

View Postgr8blueheronbird, on 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I vote for Khakis as well. I can find them in my size 35 x 29 's in some select places. Try finding any golf pants in that size(not going to happen). I hope the companies that sell golf pants are listening. Many folks wear a size 29 length. Many folks also have a size 35 waist.  I am not a short person either( 5 foot 10). I can wear them for work and golf and no problem. I can not find a pair of golf pants in that size(ever). Nike is the ony comapny that sells a 35 waist.  Not one other company sells a 29 length. They all start at 30.

Any tailor will hem an inch off pants for about $5-$10.

#18 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostCCUgolfer23, on 20 February 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

As non golf fashion khakis are actually in. A lot of us college kids wearing them.

You must go to an SEC school

Edited by somaplr, 20 February 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#19 poizster

poizster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132044
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I've been golfing in REI Endeavor hiking pants lately. 89% polyester 11% spandex, super comfortable, wind resistant, water repellent, warm, quick drying, and they look like golf pants.

Edited by poizster, 20 February 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#20 Cobras7

Cobras7

Golf Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170286
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

It's partially about where you live, because if you live in a humid area you might sweat too much for cotton. However, despite what some unworldly people may believe, not all areas are humid in Northern California 50% is pretty substantial for what we are used to. I wear khakis all the time, and actually two pairs are dockers. For my area they are perfect this time of year, but when i play in areas of North Carolina, i wouldn't be caught dead wearing cotton. If you don't play that much, khakis are perfectly fine, and even if you do play a lot, as long as you can make do with what you have, you are golden!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Masterplan

Masterplan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102119
  • Ebay ID:the_masterplanet
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I echo the feedback of " Say NO to CarGO."  They are being banned at an increasing rate at many public courses and nearly all private clubs (along with denim, of course).

Khakis are fine.  I tend to prefer cotton myself, although I am warming up to many of the technical fabrics that are being utilized in golf wear.

#22 Bear Down

Bear Down

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228663
  • Ebay ID:cago83
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

View Postgr8blueheronbird, on 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I wear 34x30. Sometimes 29 depending on the brand. I almost always have to get them hemmed a bit. I found some Nike golf pants at Dunns on clearance for $35 but it was 32 length. Took it to my taylor and hemmed it up. I hear ya on the size 35 though. Some years I was between 34 and 36 and it was frustrating.

#23 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

There is nothing inherently wrong with khakis except the color.  It looks dorky with certain colored shirts like light blue (yeah, I know some pros wear that combo) and white.

The heat issue is another discussion.
Titlleist 910 D2 11.25*, Bassara
TEE XCG6 15*, Kuro Kage R,
Adams DHY 21*,  Matrix White Tie S
Titleist 910H 18.25*, Kali R
Ping S57 4-pw, AWT S
Mizuno MP-T11 54*, 60*, DG Spinners

#24 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostMasterplan, on 20 February 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

I echo the feedback of " Say NO to CarGO."  They are being banned at an increasing rate at many public courses and nearly all private clubs (along with denim, of course).

Khakis are fine.  I tend to prefer cotton myself, although I am warming up to many of the technical fabrics that are being utilized in golf wear.

People that ban useless crap should be banned.

#25 agray94

agray94

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223869
  • Ebay ID:agray94
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I usually wear khaki's or twill pants(colored "khakis") over golf pants. Most of the golf specific pants I own are very thin. So if i wear pants, it's usually cooler, so I prefer the thicker twill style pants. If it's warm I wear shorts.

I can't imagine many public courses banning anything short of a swim suiT around here, they need the players...

Edited by agray94, 21 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#26 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

In my experience, anything labelled "Golf . . ." automatically adds 25% to the price. For me, golf pants are whatever pants I have on when I play golf. I wonder if the kilt-wearing Celtic shepherds that invented the game would be accepted on the courses they helped create?

#27 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postsomaplr, on 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostCCUgolfer23, on 20 February 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

You must go to an SEC school

No, but I do go to a southern school in South Carolina.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 05 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 670 mb 5-pw KBS tour stiff
WITB Link
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55, bstone j40 59
Scotty cameron circa 62 #5

#28 sanjaygolf

sanjaygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33562
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Nothing wrong with chinos (khaki is a color) but I think golf pants can be more comfortable. My Nike modern fit pants feel so comfortable, almost like they're lined, and I've had no problems walking the FL sun so far this year (we've had plenty of days in the 80s). Plus they were only $25. I'm sure the standard fit feel just as nice.
910D3 10.5 Motore Speeder VC 7.3 X
913Fd 15 Rombax P95 X
980F 19 ZCom Pro95 X
712 AP2/CB DG TI X100
WITB Link
TaylorMade Ghost Manta
Vokey SM2 53/59 DG TI S400

#29 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostSnufles, on 20 February 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Go full Monty if you like.

Attachment Monty's Laundry.jpg

Treat it like a walk in the park.

Hey, if I saw myself in clothes like that, I'd have to kick my own a**.

#30 mljones99

mljones99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 978
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:hrcjones
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I wear L.L. Bean chinos on the course.  If it is too hot to wear chinos, I wear shorts from Nike or Under Armour.

Nike Covert w/ Matrix 6X3
Nike Covert 3w w/ Matrix 7X3
Adams Super 9031 23 w/ Matrix hX3
Mizuno MP4 5-PW w/ KBS Tour
Callaway MD2 50, 54, & 58
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors