Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

how long until I can Golf again? fractured toe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mackepa

mackepa

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38775
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I know this topic would probably be better answered by my doctor but i'm asking you guys anyways. A few days ago I dropped an 80lb rock on my big toe and lost my toe nail, got 6 stitches and fractured my toe. My toe nail was stitched back on so i'd have another one grow back. I am currently not able to walk without crutches or meds. Has anyone had anything similar happen and how long was it before you were able to golf again? I broke my hand a few years ago and i was able to golf only a few weeks after surgery, but this happens to hurt a heck of a lot worse than my hand. btw, i have no idea to the extent of the fracture. doctors told me very little besides to take Vicodin and antibiotics every 6 hours.

8.5 X2 Hot Pro w/ Ahina 60 Stiff
17* X2 Hot Pro w/ Diamana D+ 72s
20* X2 Hot Pro w/ Tour Green X
24* 712U w/ KBS Tour stiff
5-PW Apex Pro w/ C-Taper stiff
Vokey 50f, 54s, 60k w/ KBS Tour stiff

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

The break may heal faster than the cut and soft tissue damage to allow walking comfortably.

#3 LottaBalata

LottaBalata

Mr. Title-less

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54603
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Personally, I would simply wait, and stay off your foot until you are healed.  The thing about feet, and especially a toe, if you get back on them and don't let it heal properly, you'll just prolong your healing, add to your pain, your toe may end up crooked, etc etc.

And heck, your in Cincy!  Aren't you freezin' your butt like I am in Indiana??  Lol

#4 OldGolfer87

OldGolfer87

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27887
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

As with most fractures you might be looking realisticly at 4 to 6 weeks on a average  ,,   but when you look at where your injury is at ...it is probably one of the worse places because it's weight bearing ,any movement can ellicit pain , difficult to protect unless your foot /ankle get  the cast so it might take more time to heal because of all the things already said but for you to get back to golf probably depends on your pain threshold  because until it is completely healed if you move /bump it you will get some pain  ... in reality a foot injury is about one of the worse areas of the body to get injured.

After 35 years in the medical field i should have said this in my reply ...... if you read these responses do yourself a favor and  ask the questions you are asking in this forum to your treating physician ... he would give you the best idea on your healing time and when you can safely do the things you expect to do when you are healthy  based on his or her  findings on examination  every injury is different and so is the healing process .  ...  even though i see some here who have medical experience ...if i was injured i would not be asking a online forum for the best advise because that is something you should get from the treating physician during a face to face meeting

Edited by RetiredMedic029, 21 February 2013 - 12:21 AM.

#5 _MS22_

_MS22_

No Pressure, No Diamonds . . .

• 1,970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125572
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Which bone did you break?  Distal, proximal, or the metatarsal?  If the injury occurred at the nail I'll assume distal.  Did the bone displace?

Many factors come in to play.

I broke my distal and chipped the proximal last year when a 90lb dumbbell I was using decided it was a good time to break, yeah yeah I probably shouldn't lift at a place that welds their dumbbells but I love the place, its raw.

I was hobbling in a soft cast for a few days, 2-3, back on the bike and stairmaster within 3-4 days, and outside running 3 weeks after the injury.  I'd say give it 3 weeks before any serious pressure.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

#6 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

If it was summer, I'd say buy a pair of golf sandals & go play when you no longer feel any pain in your toe.  :-)

#7 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I broke my left pinky toe after stubbing it on a coffee table and I was out a month+ before I could even swing. When I could hobble around and bare weight, I worked on short game.
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#8 FlyFish

FlyFish

FlyFish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19815
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I had a similar injury (not as severe).  It affected my ability to walk 18 holes more than swinging a golf club.

#9 smoove

smoove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121723
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

sounds like you have time to channel your energy into short game.  not a bad thing.

EDIT:  realized that came off douchey.  honestly feel for you man.  get well soon.

-smoove

Edited by smoove, 21 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

latest sub $75 frankenstein
rbz stg 2 / dvs
dci black 2 iron / dgsl
ap2 / dg
spider vicino
sm4 / dg

#10 benjammin172

benjammin172

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70425
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

IMO the rule of thumb for these kinds of things is just to wait until you're comfortable. You won't have any fun playing if you're struggling to make it through 18, so I would wait until you can walk comfortably and put pressure on the toe comfortably and consistently.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 mackepa

mackepa

Tour Winner

• 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38775
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

smoove, on 21 February 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

sounds like you have time to channel your energy into short game.  not a bad thing.

EDIT:  realized that came off douchey.  honestly feel for you man.  get well soon.

-smoove

I understood what you meant lol. I've gotten a lot of good advice. I rewrapped my toe last night and I was surprised how good it looked. It wasn't swollen at all. I haven't been taking any pain killers now and I've been moving around without crutches.
8.5 X2 Hot Pro w/ Ahina 60 Stiff
17* X2 Hot Pro w/ Diamana D+ 72s
20* X2 Hot Pro w/ Tour Green X
24* 712U w/ KBS Tour stiff
5-PW Apex Pro w/ C-Taper stiff
Vokey 50f, 54s, 60k w/ KBS Tour stiff

#12 smoove

smoove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121723
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

nice good news re: the rewrap.  i broke my left pinky toe (like, sideways broken) two seasons ago and it healed quicker than i thought it would.  hopefully you'll have the same luck.
latest sub $75 frankenstein
rbz stg 2 / dvs
dci black 2 iron / dgsl
ap2 / dg
spider vicino
sm4 / dg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors