Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Did Hogan do mirror work? How and how much?

59 replies to this topic

#1 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132912
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've heard it tossed around that Hogan practiced in front of a mirror. Actually I'm pretty sure Tiger mentioned it in an interview before.

But I've never read it anywhere including in An America Life. Does anyone know if he did or didn't? And if he did, anyone know what he did more specifically (I realize that's a huge long shot)?

IMO and based on my own limited experience, I highly doubt hogan checked positions in his swing in front of a mirror. I've done that a lot and I don't think it's helpful and I can't imagine Hogan would either but I'm not sure. Maybe to check his grip or setup though?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 IH82BOGEY

IH82BOGEY

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49511
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

Five Lessons page 113.

#3 dairic

dairic

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132074
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

I just googled it and found that there's a book about it.

http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/9612690723

#4 guisician

guisician

basement space taker-upper

• 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Handicap:17.4
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

I remember reading that was the only way he could practice during his stint in the Air Force during WWII.

---

CORRECTION to the above: Hogan was in the Army Air Corps, sorry for the error.

Edited by guisician, 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM.

AG Spalding Maltese Cross driver
BuchtartNicholls brassie, no-name spoon
Mills aluminium cleek, Stewart mid-iron
Gibson mashie, Nicoll spade mashie
T Morris mashie niblick, Stewart niblick
Gibson Skoogee, Spalding HB putter

#5 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I don't recall the sources off the top of my head, but I know that there are several references to Hogan doing slow motion mirror work when making swing changes. My own opnion is that Hogan was a strong believer in slow motion mirror training, and used the practice range for Dynamic Motion training, ie Balance, Rhythm, Tempo, Sequencing and Timing as well as the all important mental focus skills, in Hogan's case, that was usually the Target Picture. And shaping shots of course too.

Tyler - maybe you were not performing the position slow mo practice with a focused mind? Or moving too fast? In my system, slow mo is 30 seconds start to finish of the golf swing. Super slow mo is 60 seconds.

Slow mo is the heart of Asian martial arts body movement pattern training and has an un-matched record of success.

#6 dairic

dairic

Major Winner

• 1,075 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostJim Waldron, on 20 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I don't recall the sources off the top of my head, but I know that there are several references to Hogan doing slow motion mirror work when making swing changes. My own opnion is that Hogan was a strong believer in slow motion mirror training, and used the practice range for Dynamic Motion training, ie Balance, Rhythm, Tempo, Sequencing and Timing as well as the all important mental focus skills, in Hogan's case, that was usually the Target Picture. And shaping shots of course too.

Tyler - maybe you were not performing the position slow mo practice with a focused mind? Or moving too fast? In my system, slow mo is 30 seconds start to finish of the golf swing. Super slow mo is 60 seconds.

Slow mo is the heart of Asian martial arts body movement pattern training and has an un-matched record of success.

I read somewhere that this is part of the reason why Korean's have recently been so successful at golf. Slow motion action is a basic part of golf teaching over there even at the very high handicap level. I don't remember where I read this so I take it with a grain of salt.

#7 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132912
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Once again, this appears to be another invaluable post. Thank you.

After reading this I realize my mirror training had been super sloppy and unfocused with only brief stints of "deep practice" scattered throughout. I'm going to re vamp how I go about it.

Care to offer any recommended reading on the subject?

Dairic, thanks for the link. I might get that book. If I do I'll post a review.

#8 Siteseer2

Siteseer2

Major Winner

• 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

...There is doubt because there is not-knowing.
Yet, beneath each knowing is the next not-knowing,
So knowledge deepens the doubt.
Even in all-knowing, then, there is the doubt of knowing.

#9 dairic

dairic

Major Winner

• 1,075 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostSiteseer2, on 20 February 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

The reason why those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know

#10 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

View Postdairic, on 20 February 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

In the absence of sufficient compensation or coercion.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Siteseer2

Siteseer2

Major Winner

• 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Nah....too serious... I was trying to wax philosphical to Jim using Tao

Edited by Siteseer2, 20 February 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#12 guisician

guisician

• 882 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Tao Te Ching in the Hogan forum; it is a very good day!

#13 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostSiteseer2, on 20 February 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 February 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Nah....too serious... I was trying to wax philosphical to Jim using Tao

Ha! Too deep for me - I'm a know-nothing.

Actually, it reminded me of an old football coach, " Boy, you're as dumb as a pile 'o bricks! You don't even know what you don't know!"

Edited by Crab Daddy, 20 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#14 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

While I'm here, returning to the subject, for however long, is there a trick to keeping unnecessary tension out of the hands/arms when doing mirror work?
I always seem to have a death grip on the club whenever I stop in mid-swing to check takeaway position or top of the swing.

#15 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2052

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

My god tyler. another Gem!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#16 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

what the heck happened to my font?
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#17 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39690
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

While I'm here, returning to the subject, for however long, is there a trick to keeping unnecessary tension out of the hands/arms when doing mirror work?
I always seem to have a death grip on the club whenever I stop in mid-swing to check takeaway position or top of the swing.

I think this is an issue, but one that you shouldn't get bogged down with.  I find the same thing, and I practice in front of a 6 foot mirror every other day.  You can only emulate positions at very slow speed, not the actual feel of swinging the club, for exactly the reason that you mention.

And of course, if you look at the swings of some of the LPGA stars from Korea/Asia you will see that a few of them barely speed the swing up when they play.  I think they speed it up just enough so they can retain a softer grip pressure when they pass through all of the positions they are after.  As an aside I will say that if you sway laterally down the line (away from the target) as you load, and you want to stop doing this, this is the best practice idea that I know of to make it happen.

Tyler, if you pick up that book, please get a review online.  I would be interested in knowing more.  If I can get a copy myself, I will do the same (some Amazon products do not ship to Canada; I guess the world isn't as small as we think).

Great topic for discussion.

#18 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

fascinating. Just ordered the book.
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#19 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Posttembolo1284, on 26 February 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

If you have time to post a quick review after you've read it, that would be very helpful.  Cheers, Rob

#20 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

View Postrankoutsider, on 26 February 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

If you have time to post a quick review after you've read it, that would be very helpful.  Cheers, Rob

Will give a breakdown once I read it in this very thread.

Come on Amazon ship it quick!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 dairic

dairic

Major Winner

• 1,075 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Posttembolo1284, on 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

View Postrankoutsider, on 26 February 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Will give a breakdown once I read it in this very thread.

Come on Amazon ship it quick!

If you give the breakdown in slow motion and in front of a mirror, then it comes out as poetry.

#22 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

hey did henry picard ever publish anything? Reading about him in the american triumvirate and his influence on hogan. Seemed to be a real stud in his day.

Don't see any books published by him. Dammit I hope he did.
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#23 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

freakin' excited waiting for this book.
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#24 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14567
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Posttembolo1284, on 26 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

I ordered a copy yesterday, but am not nearly as excited as you are! LOL

#25 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'm excited to hear more from both of you guys about the book.

#26 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postrankoutsider, on 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm excited to hear more from both of you guys about the book.

Will write a review after reading. :)

#27 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

View Posttembolo1284, on 26 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

I ordered a copy yesterday, but am not nearly as excited as you are! LOL

I like reading...what can I say.
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#28 guisician

guisician

• 882 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

I thought the book (SLOW PRACTICE WILL GET YOU THERE FASTER by Ernest Dras) looked familiar; dug it out of a box and am about halfway through. Short book (84 pgs not counting epilogue and appendices),short chapters, basic but important stuff. The author stresses the importance of both relaxation and point of impact. Nik, you'll be interested to learn he was a tennis player (refers to Gallwey's THE INNER GAME OF TENNIS); his experiences playing and teaching tennis, along with studying the Baghavad Gita, got him going on this path. One chapter depicts a slow-practice, sweet spot-finding training aid for tennis he came up with that's quite ingenious; he illustrates the "golf version" of the device later in the book. Honestly, there's not much Hogan here, but the author does tie his "findings" to the Coleman footage and other earlier Hogan "real time slo mo" demonstrations as well as the mirror practice advice from Five Lessons.

To summarize; nothing really new here besides the training aid(s), but provides a concise summary of some important points regarding how we practice and learn.

#29 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

View Postguisician, on 28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

I thought the book (SLOW PRACTICE WILL GET YOU THERE FASTER by Ernest Dras) looked familiar; dug it out of a box and am about halfway through. Short book (84 pgs not counting epilogue and appendices),short chapters, basic but important stuff. The author stresses the importance of both relaxation and point of impact. Nik, you'll be interested to learn he was a tennis player (refers to Gallwey's THE INNER GAME OF TENNIS); his experiences playing and teaching tennis, along with studying the Baghavad Gita, got him going on this path. One chapter depicts a slow-practice, sweet spot-finding training aid for tennis he came up with that's quite ingenious; he illustrates the "golf version" of the device later in the book. Honestly, there's not much Hogan here, but the author does tie his "findings" to the Coleman footage and other earlier Hogan "real time slo mo" demonstrations as well as the mirror practice advice from Five Lessons.

To summarize; nothing really new here besides the training aid(s), but provides a concise summary of some important points regarding how we practice and learn.

very nice! something to think about. Looks like he just slapped Hogan's name on there to get attention then. Damn!
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

#30 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postguisician, on 28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Oh well, it was only $16.95 with free shipping! :(

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors