Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Most Clutch Shot

36 replies to this topic

#1 cfreeman8

cfreeman8

Husker Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23308
  • Handicap:+3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

What is the most clutch shot you have ever hit, in a tournament or playing skins, match, etc.. Mine personally would be a 35 footer to win my first Pepsi Tour event last summer. Whats yours?

Edited by cfreeman8, 16 March 2007 - 08:08 PM.

910D3 8.5 Tour AD DI8
910f.d 15 Tour AD DI8
910h Tour AD DI
MP-64 4-6 MP-4 7-PW KBS C-Taper
Vokey SM-5
Piretti Cottonwood II

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DBPGolf

DBPGolf

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23436
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

mine would be a hole out for par in the us junior qualifier

#3 Gallery_JustAHack_*

Gallery_JustAHack_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

Since I have never played in a tourney.  My most clutch shot would probably be driving the green on a par 4 to win a scramble, after my teammates had graciously sent me to the tee without a ball in play.....I know thats weak comparitively speaking to a lot here.....

#4 xal951

xal951

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23237

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

Probably a stretch of holes in our mens club championship. I was 2 down going into 15, chipped in for birdie to go 1 down. Hit one tight on 16 for a tap in birdie to square it up. Then i ran in a 40 foot putt for birdie on 17 to go 1 up. Then we both parred the 18th on my way to the champ. Never would have thought i would need to birdie 3 of the last 4 to win.

#5 Ace In The Hole

Ace In The Hole

What blocks growth is ignorance.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23701
  • Ebay ID:caferacer19
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

Mine was in the MG&CC Men's Championship, was dormy on 17, one that hole, then had a 40+ footer to win the next, made the putt, and went on to win on #3 after halving the first two holes in the playoff.

Edited by Ace In The Hole, 18 March 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#6 Mongo26

Mongo26

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36681
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

nothin special...mine was in a local skins game where i holed out from a bunker on a par 3 to win about $100...i was happy

#7 Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35693

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

I can't really remember any that special, a few important 6 foot putts maybe.

But I was playing in a 2 day tournament a few weeks ago, I wasn't playing very well and was probably 10 shots back of the lead going into the last hole. I put my approach shot to 40 feet, the putt had 6 feet of break, and when we were walking to the green I told the kid I was walking with "Lets finish off in style"

and holed it.  :clapping: :)

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23877
  • Ebay ID:1758jo
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:19 AM

I've had two rounds in recent memory with clutch finishes.

First one; 2 down, 2 holes to play in our Junior Pennants team. 17 is a short par 3, around 140yds uphill, the kid i was playing with gets up and knocks it just a tad right of the pin, rolls to the left and leaves himself about 15ft - so I've got to make bird to keep the game going. Pull 8i (i think lol) and aimed to take that same slope. Hit it mint - knocked it 3in - gimme bird. Next hole is a 440yd par 4, crush driver, then pushed my approach right of the green - not a good spot with a very small looking green from there and bunker behind the pin. The kid has duffed his second :clapping: and put his third in the greenside trap. I knock my pitch to 4ft and he hits his bunker shot to about 10ft - misses the putt and gives me the hole. Squared the match and got the only point,  or half-point in our team hahaha

Second one; next week of Pennants - this game has been up & down all day and we're walking up 16 and i'm 1 down. I've been hooking drives all day and have been lucky enough this time to find the left side of the fairway. Pitching wedge, 4ft - take the hole. Next hole - pulled drive to just left of the fairway - around 135yds left to the hole and there is a small tree in my road. Hit 8i over it, over the pin to around 10ft, with a slider to go. Sunk the putt - dormie. Last hole is a 180yd par 3, and it is blowing hard right to left, with pin on the left and bunkers on the left. To add to that - not only is our club's pro watching, but half of the club is there following our no.2 player in the Opens on an adjacent hole. Pull 4i, hit a 9 to 3 that started right side of green and draws in to the pin, around 12ft or so from the hole. The guy i'm playing against puts it in the pot - won the hole.

#9 Chairman7w

Chairman7w

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29144

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Cool stuff guys.

A couple weeks ago we had a three-hole carryover on closest-to-the-pin holes (must be on green and cant' three putt) and came to 18, a 191-yard par 3, WAY downhill with a severe in your face wind.

One of the other guys greens it, stopping 20' from hole.  I get up and just smooth a beautiful 4-iron high into the wind and let it ride down right of the hole, then trickle down to within 15'.  Then, I have a dangerous 4' slider to the left for par, and nail it perfectly and it falls right into the side of the cup.  Fun stuff.

#10 warner41

warner41

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52821
  • Ebay ID:warner41

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Member-Guest in 2005, the winners of each of the 12 flights go to a 100 yard shoot out for the overall championship. There is roughly 600 people around the green and on the deck watching. Playing about 112 slightly uphill plus the wind, hit a low 52* with cut spin, brought it back 15' to 3' for an easy 2. I was about a 14 at the time so under the pressure it was super-clutch.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 williethekid

williethekid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33986
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

Huge backup on a par 3 course in myrtle beach. First hole is 90yrds and I dont have any of my clubs, plus I'm gaming a noodle for my ball. Only decent club left in the shop was a wedge marked S from about 1970. Hit a towering draw over the tree on the right of the fairway and bring it back to about an inch. With everyone watching it was great. Oh yea I was barefoot (took off the flip flops).

#12 PGABound67

PGABound67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38722
  • Ebay ID:danizback1123

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

I was playing in a match play tournament and in the finals I was playing against one of my best friends. All square going into 18, 560yd par 5, slight dogleg left with marsh about 20 yards in front. I hit a good drive and decided to go for it and put a 3 wood just over the marsh about 10 yards off the front of the green. Tyler ends up smashing a 3 wood on the green about 45-50' away. As we were walking up to the green I said "Ty, funny situation we're in here, I think i'm gonna go ahead and hole this chip shot, and there's no way you're making your putt". can anyone guess how this turned out? lol. call me miss chleo! I hit a little low grabber with my 60 that died right in the hole to win the match and take home the trophy!!!

#13 mjc694

mjc694

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31139
  • Ebay ID:mjc6942003

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

About 10 years ago I played in a member guest at my old club with a dear friend of mine, who has since passed away.  It was a quota points tournament, and we were not even close to being in it that day, but there was a nice big fat plus pool.  The course was playing very hard, and I came to 18 needing a par to be plus one.  I was probably a 12 or 13 handicap back then, and was rocking an old DCI 7 wood.  Had 190 yards to the elevated 18th green, and smacked that dci to about 15 feet above the hole, made the putt, and cashed in on the pool.  

It was a long time ago, but given the friend with whom I played, the need for the shot, and the amazing course I was playing........ill never forget that 7 wood that day.

#14 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

View Postcfreeman8, on Mar 16 2007, 09:07 PM, said:

What is the most clutch shot you have ever hit, in a tournament or playing skins, match, etc.. Mine personally would be a 35 footer to win my first Pepsi Tour event last summer. Whats yours?
Playing in a Michigan Publinx tourney a few years ago at a course I had never even heard of.  Drove 1.5 hours to get to it (for a 7am tee time, no less!).  We were warming up in the dark.  It was crazy.

I played one of the smartest rounds I had ever played, and was 2 over going into the 17th hole (I was a 6 or 7 handicap at the time)... for sure in the running.

We were playing the blue tees, 191, over water.  I think I was 3rd to tee off, and one guy blasts one into the water, the next guy pull hooks into some other junk.  I hit a great 3 iron about 15 feet short of the pin, right on line.  I still remember that swing thought I had on that hole to this day and try to repeat it all the time.

I ended up tied for the win.

Attached Images

• 17.jpg

#15 AlphonseElric75

AlphonseElric75

Full Metal Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53018

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

Playing in an Invitational a couple of years back, was 6 shots out heading into third and final day. Ended up one over on the front, and holed out from off the green on 18 for a 71. Best round ever on that course and finished one shot out of a playoff. So the hole out from off the green would be my most clutch shot.....lately at least.

#16 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

When I go to tourneys it's usually for charity.  I'm there to win the long drive.  Too many holes with "special" rules for me to take it seriously.  (When my GF ties for 1st place shooting a 120+ b/c of how they do the scoring, you know just to take the shots of Jager and smile before you tee off on a par 5 with your 7 iron.)  I have a friend who can hit it a long way.  Well, things got kinda ugly due to the fact he was scared I would take his title of being the big fish in the small pond.  My regular playing partners would always boast about my game for me against my will.  He played a few flights in front of me.  We past on adjacent holes and he kept pointing at his drive on the 8th screaming for me to beat that.  The long drive flag was placed by his ball.  

Talk about pressure.  Half of everyone playing was either screaming I would beat his drive and the other half was screaming he would take the long drive.  Anyway, when a bunch of retired alcoholics living in paradise with no worries will always make something to worry about.  Anyway, I finally teed up on the 8th.  I cleared my mind, did the whole breathing, focus, meditation thing.  Let myself remember that none of this actually really matters.  I took my swing and beat his drive by over 30 yards.

What sucked was when I finally received my trophy, it was one of those cheapo creepo ones you give to 8 year olds for just showing up to whatever tourney your parents signed you up for.  The engraving was even peeling off.

The dude hasn't talked to me since.  Kinda creepy if you ask me.

#17 retep

retep

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17640
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:junk4saledog

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

playing for the big grand prize of a single new ball...
par 4, i drive into the rough, 100 yards out
fade a 54 wedge around a tree about 80 yards, just short of the green
chip up to 4 feet
sink the putt
enjoy the beautiful new E6 golf ball.

#18 Gallery_drivesforshow_*

Gallery_drivesforshow_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:23 AM

It wasn't a clutch shot because it was only on the second hole but the best shot I ever played was on a 168m par three straight across the pacific ocean at Coral Cove, 4 hours north of Brisbane Queensland. I am first up and most of the group are holding 6 irons and I pull my 3 wood. I regularly hit my driver over 270m so this set their collective jaws wagging and I say, "well how about this cyclone we are hitting against". I aimed about 40m to the left of the flag, straight over the ocean, pure a full blooded strike and watch the ball finish about 4 feet from the pin. Its the best club selection I have ever made. Now that I play a bit more, i would be more likely to aim 10m to the right and hit a draw with my 2 iron. Oh yeah, I missed the putt. :clapping:

#19 BYTHEBEARDOFZUEZ

BYTHEBEARDOFZUEZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53508

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Well, yesterday was my first time playnig since i broke ninety and obviously i wanted to do it again. I cruised through the front nine with a 42 and parred the tenth hole, everything was going great until i shanked a 7 iron on the 11th hole :drinks: . i had to take the drop and tripled the hole and everything was downhill from there. I usually play with my dad who likes to blurt out exactly what score i need to shoot a certain number, which always screws me up. This time though i think it helped. On the last hole(par 3) i needed a par to shoot 89. i hit a beautiful shot that was dead at the pin, but landed short and kicked in the bunker :lol: . I took a halfway decent swing but the ball didnt bite, it released 25 feet by the hole. So as I am walking towards the ball, i Tell myself, "Im gonna make it". When i hit the ball i thought i pushed it but as it got halfway there my dad was like YOu got it! Sure enough, it curled right into the cup. I had to give it a tiger fist pump for good measure lol. :lol:

Jon

#20 stellablue14

stellablue14

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56632

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

played a big money backgammon game at yale gc, at the time i was a 9, my partner a 7, we were playing a 2 and a 4.  9th hole at yale, pin up front, playing from the tips, the cube was at $264, my partner hit first, short and in the water, that left me with a 200 yard shot to a very hard pin on a very hard hole.  Our oposition, cubed us, leaving a choice of accepting a $264 per man loss, or take our chances at $532 per man 2 against 1, me being the one.  We said we would play and I hit a 3 iron (before hybrids) to 18".  We then cubed them, the hole was worth $1064 per man and the best they could do was par.

2nd:  made18 footer in club championship on 1st extra hole to get into the semis,

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 tanj

tanj

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1397

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

I was dormie two (down of course) in a pennant match (the team with the best of 5 matches wins).

On the 16th I hit it behind a ti-tree off the tee, my opponent hit his tee shot down the middle (I lost the last hole). After some discussion with my dad who was caddying for me, we decide that I can just clear the tree with a 6-iron since the ball is sitting well in the rough and it's uphill. He tells me exactly where the pin is and I stiff it to 3 feet.

On the 17th, I overcook my 7-iron into the green by pulling it long and left. Leave myself on this hard packed dirt with clumps of parramatta 'grass' everywhere. The chip is about 15 metres, uphill up half a metre. The green slopes severely back to front with pin cut 2 metres from the back edge so my only chance is to nip a 56 and bump it into the upslope and get it to stop dead. That must have been the best chip I've ever made because it stopped one foot past the pin leaving myself an uphill putt. The best thing was, I was playing against my old club and they had about 20 supporters surrounding me basically trying to intimidate me!

Going all square down the 18th, the pressure gets to the other guy having lost the last two holes and it's a pretty simple affair! By the way, we won the match 3-2...

Josh

#22 Nelson A

Nelson A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123446

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Probably my 35 footer at the courd alene junior championship

#23 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I really haven't been in that many clutch scenarios.. My last one was a casual round  and I was playing with a freind and we were both two over going into seventeen. Mind you it was about 40 degrees and raining. I hooked my drive, hooked my second shot into the woods. Had to take an uplayable, flopped te shot to about 20 feet and then made it for bogey . My freind also bogeyed from a 3 putt. On te 18th he hits his drive 10 yards left of the green and I just grip it and rip it, but I lost sight of it. We get to the green and I see mine is on the front edge. My freind doesn't get up and down Nd I leave my first putt 15 feet short ( it was about an 80 foot putt) and then I curl the next one right in the heart.

Obviously I've been more clutch than that but that was my most recent experience

#24 Jonnybagadonuts

Jonnybagadonuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136599
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Playing 2 man scramble.

My brother and I are at +1 through 7 holes. We came up to the 8th hole which is a slight dogleg left then it straightens back out. Right
when it goes left ( around 270 yds out) their is a tree that overhangs about half of the fairway. We both play draws, however we both push our tee shots
and end up right behind this tree in the rough no more then 1 yard apart from each others drive.

We were left with 130yds to the pin. I could hit a stinger hybrid or 3 wood but i risk going over and most likely making bogey or worst. My
brother tries this shot and flies the green 20 yds. Knowing that it is possible to get up and down
from where he is I pull out my pitching wedge, set up , peeked at my line and swung as hard as possible trying to shoot the ball above this 80 foot
oak tree.

We heard it clip a branch and lost all sight of the ball. My brother and i both crouch down looking under the tree towards the green just waiting to see
how bad the shot would turn out. the 5 seconds of suspense felt like 30 mins..... And finally we here that great sound
of a golf ball nailing a green. Followed by my ball releasing towards to hole to 2 ft.

After that we were on fire and won the tourney plus $2000.

#25 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nothing gets me more excited than hitting a perfectly shaped shot.  I hit this from just over 200 yards to something like 7 feet.  Yes, my drive was freaking terrible, I know.
hawk valley.JPG

#26 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

-Played a Ryder Cup style team event pitting two parts of the state against each other a while back (foursomes in a.m., then singles in the afternoon). Had the anchor match in singles, all square, everything riding on my match. Everyone else was done and watching along with about 100 people milling around the green. Fairway, green, two putt and my team won the event after my opponent found the water with his tee shot. Lol awfully nerve wracking

-Holed a ten footer to ensure a team victory by 1 back in college while everyone again was watching

It really is amazing how the pressure goes up when you're playing for others as well. So much fun

#27 Onewaggle

Onewaggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178862
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Two foot approach shot, from 175 fairway in 28 to take mt bosses money. He had pressed and pleaded, 18 was to be for all the marbles.

#28 col902

col902

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142699
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Played in my Country Club's version of the Ryder Cup this year. Was 1 up going into the seventeenth hole in my single's match. It was a 495 par four. Had my adrenaline pumping and ripped a drive through the fairway, behind a tree. Had 190 left to the hole, and hit a hook six iron to three feet. That closed out the match and helped my team win.

#29 Gone Right

Gone Right

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168139
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Playing the par 5 18th in what looked like being the deciding match on my club team in the regional final  of a national foursomes comp, we were one down, and I hit my drive into crap on the right.  My partner hit a great 8 iron recovery through trees onto the fairway, but left me with 170 yards to a small, narrow green, with our opponents about 70 yards short on the right looking straight up the green that was protected on the left by a deep swale and pond, with a strong wind into me and from the right.  On top of that we had a huge gallery because of the importance of the match, and it was a very pressurised situation.  I reckoned I needed an extra club to carry the swale and pond, so I hit a 4i, that pitched about 10 feet left of the pin on the narrowest part of the green, and finished up 6 feet away.  My opponent promptly dumped his lob wedge in the pond, but there was no happy ending because when we got to the green we were called in because we had lost the last match out, and had therefore lost the overall match.  The referee with our game did come up to me at the green to say I had hit an unbelievable shot, and that he had thought that even hitting the green would have been a miracle.  I even heard members of the opposition team talking about it in the locker room afterwards, with everyone conveniently forgetting that I was left with such a difficult shot simply because I'd made a mess of my drive. Definitely the best clutch shot I've ever hit.

#30 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Forty foot snake on the16th to give me 2 stroke breathing room during my PAT many many moons back.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors