Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tom Tomasello Golf Videos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rocker40

rocker40

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97266
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I ran across these Golf Videos that have helped me learn part of the basic golf swing.  These have helped me since i am a beginner / high handicap.  Just thought i would share...

http://www.youtube.c...93388F668388E59

Chapter 1 - The Pivot
Chapter 2 - The Arms
Chapter 3 - The Hands
Chapter 4 - Hinge Action
Chapter 5 - Power
Chapter 6 - Alignments
Chapter 7 - Drills
Chapter 8 - The Short Game
Chapter 9 - Hitting and Swinging

Thanks...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postrocker40, on 17 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

I ran across these Golf Videos that have helped me learn part of the basic golf swing.  These have helped me since i am a beginner / high handicap.  Just thought i would share...

http://www.youtube.c...93388F668388E59

Chapter 1 - The Pivot
Chapter 2 - The Arms
Chapter 3 - The Hands
Chapter 4 - Hinge Action
Chapter 5 - Power
Chapter 6 - Alignments
Chapter 7 - Drills
Chapter 8 - The Short Game
Chapter 9 - Hitting and Swinging

Thanks...
Mr Tomasello was a well regarded TGM instructor.But if you want to learn the Slicefixer swing ,this  video  will actually be  detrimental  since  some of the ideas presented  in this video are in direct conflict with those  taught by Slicefixer

Edited by russc, 17 February 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#3 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postrussc, on 17 February 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Mr Tomasello was a well regarded TGM instructor.But if you want to learn the Slicefixer swing ,this  video  will actually be  detrimental  since  some of the ideas presented  in this video are in direct conflict with those  taught by Slicefixer
Uh oh.  What are the best examples of conflict ?

#4 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I haven't studied with slicefixer but my impression from the writings of some of his students is that he teaches a pivot driven swing.  If so he and Tomasello would disagree on fundamentals like the sources of speed and power in the swing.  In other words they are two valid theories but the components don't mix well.

Steve

#5 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

TGM isn't pivot driven ?

#6 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't regard TGM as a swing method, it is rather a catalog of components that can be found in golf swings.  TGM takes into account methods that are pivot driven and other methods that are not.  Look at the videos Rocker40 posted and you will see what Tomasello teachers which I see as combining swinging with hand action which is partially pivot driven and what he calls hitting which I do not regard as being consistent with the no-stall pivot driven swing.  I do join Rocker40 in recommending the videos even if just for your edification.

Steve

#7 jurr80

jurr80

Working daily towards scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215129
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Tomasello's video on the hands is one of the best golf videos in existence.
It teaches you how simple the hand/wrist action truly is in a golf swing- it demystifies a TON of concepts, and will get anyone with a clubface control issue to fix it.

Now, once you get to that point where the hand action is set at the top, differences do occur.
Your Foley/Slicefixer/Whittaker schools are focusing much more on the role of the hips/core as a focal point.

Tomasello preferred the natural inclination of a human to react to what the hands ask the body to do.
Tom wanted guys to think less about body turn and to focus on getting the hands past the left shoulder as fast as possible.
This allows the body to clear instinctively.
He's preaching "swing to first base with your hands and watch the ball start at 2nd base, drawing toward the pitcher".

Once a golfer learns not to come over the top, and he understands that the club is shallowing (right shoulder passing under the chin), he has found at some point that the legs/hips/core are powering the transition.

At that point, isn't it just semantics? If a guy feels that motion starting in his hands or with his core, but he gets the ball into the same swing path, is one more correct than the other?

#8 FairwayGolfUSA.com

FairwayGolfUSA.com

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185658
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postjurr80, on 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

It teaches you how simple the hand/wrist action truly is in a golf swing- it demystifies a TON of concepts, and will get anyone with a clubface control issue to fix it.

Now, once you get to that point where the hand action is set at the top, differences do occur.
Your Foley/Slicefixer/Whittaker schools are focusing much more on the role of the hips/core as a focal point.

Tomasello preferred the natural inclination of a human to react to what the hands ask the body to do.
Tom wanted guys to think less about body turn and to focus on getting the hands past the left shoulder as fast as possible.
This allows the body to clear instinctively.
He's preaching "swing to first base with your hands and watch the ball start at 2nd base, drawing toward the pitcher".

Once a golfer learns not to come over the top, and he understands that the club is shallowing (right shoulder passing under the chin), he has found at some point that the legs/hips/core are powering the transition.

At that point, isn't it just semantics? If a guy feels that motion starting in his hands or with his core, but he gets the ball into the same swing path, is one more correct than the other?

Great post and written very well.

RYAN
Fairway Golf Online Store :golfer:
Email: cs@fairwaygolfusa.com
Phone: 1-877-509-0830

#9 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postjurr80, on 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

They are great.
Thanks for a low down on the differences between TGM and WTF (Whittaker/ The Slicefixer / Foley) ;)

[Discuss the video here]

#10 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

I've watched all of Tom Tomasello's -- the Godfather of Golf -- videos many times over.

Great stuff there, some of which I still use today.

Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors