Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 3 votes

here a photo of trouser length

175 replies to this topic

#61 smashdn

smashdn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

More egregious a faux pas than the trouser length brought up by the OP is the wearing of these horrendously ugly new styled shoes.  They are not very classy at all.  At best they are akin to running shoes at worst they are boat clogs.

Perhaps the extraneous trouser length is an attempt to cover their uncouth clod hoppers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

View Postsmackygolf, on 27 February 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

View Postjwrogers, on 19 February 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

All of these photos are too long.   Typically the back of the trouser should hit about halfway between the sole and the top of your shoe at the heel.   It should not hit the sole. The front of your trousers should touch your laces and naturally fold slightly, once, above that.   This is called the "break".   If you have more than one fold in the front of your trousers then they are too long.

This Brooks Brothers blog post shows what I'm saying:   http://blog.brooksbr...k/take-a-break/

Posted Image

I prefer medium break.   A lot of younger guys wear suits with short jackets and no break, but I don't like that style.   All of the pants posted above are longer than medium break and I think they could use a little hemming-- especially for golf, where you are walking so much.

They wear short jackets with no break because that's what the ads look like and they are too stupid to realize that sock and belt companies advertise too. They need the pants short, and the jacket short, to get their product seen. No one in the real world wears a suit like that. Only models getting paid, and magazines selling ad space.

Where do you live?

View PostMasse1369, on 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Matt Kuchar is probably the worst dressed golfer on tour.  I don't think it really matters if you think his pants are the correct length, and they're not, they're too short.  A lot of these pants might be deemed a little long, but that first pic you posted in the OP is perfect.  You have to realize too that he is bending over slightly.  That BB picture is also too short by about 1/2-3/4".  I'm a long time member over at StyleForum.net and trust me when I say the  people that post on that forum make us look like totally normal people.

Bending over should make your pants shorter, not longer...and Matt's pants aren't too short.

#63 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View Postronnbee, on 17 February 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

great northern open photos of the pros, equipment  shoes etc but did anyone notice how long some of their trousers are, --that would bother me with the long length !

Most pros do not carry regular length socks, opting for mini/micro crew golf socks on tour; reason pants are lengthened, plus that length keeps grass etc from getting inside their socks.

PS, seems where some people go off in the wrong direction, slacks on tour are NOT worn the same length as regular dress slacks.  All my Zanella slacks are cut to the back of my shoe heal, with one break in front.  They do not need to cover up my socks, which is the case on tour.  As I said, most tour guys have to be frugil when packing luggage every week.  That means unless something special is happening requiring a suite or, they are not likely to pack both regular socks and mini crew golf socks... reason for added length hem.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 27 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#64 Masse1369

Masse1369

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54564
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostKDMullins, on 27 February 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

View Postsmackygolf, on 27 February 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

View Postjwrogers, on 19 February 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

All of these photos are too long.   Typically the back of the trouser should hit about halfway between the sole and the top of your shoe at the heel.   It should not hit the sole. The front of your trousers should touch your laces and naturally fold slightly, once, above that.   This is called the "break".   If you have more than one fold in the front of your trousers then they are too long.

This Brooks Brothers blog post shows what I'm saying:   http://blog.brooksbr...k/take-a-break/

Posted Image

I prefer medium break.   A lot of younger guys wear suits with short jackets and no break, but I don't like that style.   All of the pants posted above are longer than medium break and I think they could use a little hemming-- especially for golf, where you are walking so much.

They wear short jackets with no break because that's what the ads look like and they are too stupid to realize that sock and belt companies advertise too. They need the pants short, and the jacket short, to get their product seen. No one in the real world wears a suit like that. Only models getting paid, and magazines selling ad space.

Where do you live?

View PostMasse1369, on 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Matt Kuchar is probably the worst dressed golfer on tour.  I don't think it really matters if you think his pants are the correct length, and they're not, they're too short.  A lot of these pants might be deemed a little long, but that first pic you posted in the OP is perfect.  You have to realize too that he is bending over slightly.  That BB picture is also too short by about 1/2-3/4".  I'm a long time member over at StyleForum.net and trust me when I say the  people that post on that forum make us look like totally normal people.

Bending over should make your pants shorter, not longer...and Matt's pants aren't too short.
No because of the slight bend in his knees, they would be longer.  Think what you want, but they are a fraction too short on Matt.  The pants should go the top of the heel in the back and a slight break/drape in the front.  The stuff you guys talk about on this forum...lol I'm going over to the cologne thread!! :tongue:
Ping i25 8.5 Miyazaki Black 72
Ping i25 14 Aldila RIP Alpha 80
Ping i25 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 80
Titleist CB (3-6), MB (7-PW) Modus 120
Bettinardi BB0 (RJB3635)
Vokey SM5 54F & 60K Modus WV125
WITB Link

#65 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

There is no fixed rule as to trouser length. A lot depends on the build of the person wearing the pants.

I am a big guy, because of this, the width of the legs on my pants are quite a bit larger than what would be built for a person with a thinner frame. With a wider leg, a half to full break gives the best lines, to go with no break would simply look silly with a lot of extra fabric flapping about.  

Likewise, for a gentleman with a lean, lanky build, buying a trimly tailored pant with a full break would look out of place.

It's a question of taste, not a fixed rule.

#66 smackygolf

smackygolf

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9577
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

"Where do you live?"

Where people know how to dress, and understand the only reason you see the socks in the GQ ad is because the sock company down there in the small writing paid to have their socks shown. When GQ's own fashion and style department are laughing at people who wear a suit like that in real life, it's time to let it go. Sock companies need to sell things, too. Don't believe the hype.

"As for trouser break, I know this sounds prejudiced, but whenever I see a man in an expensive suit with no break to his trousers, that is, with the trouser hems riding above the shoes and showing sock, I wonder which small midwestern community he’s a pillar of. Sorry."

Designer Michael Bastian on how the right call can make or break a suit “I like cuffs on pants of just about any fabric. Of course, when you’re dealing with heavier corduroys and tweeds, the cuffs serve a purpose: They give the pants some weight, so they fall better. I say, if you’re gonna go for a cuff, go for it; make it at least an inch and a quarter deep. As for the break, 90 percent of guys keep it classic, where the front of your pants hits the top bit of your shoes and the back of them touches the tops of your heels. That always works"

Edited by smackygolf, 27 February 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#67 Locked

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133794
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postsmackygolf, on 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

"Where do you live?"

Where people know how to dress, and understand the only reason you see the socks in the GQ ad is because the sock company down there in the small writing paid to have their socks shown. When GQ's own fashion and style department are laughing at people who wear a suit like that in real life, it's time to let it go. Sock companies need to sell things, too. Don't believe the hype.

"As for trouser break, I know this sounds prejudiced, but whenever I see a man in an expensive suit with no break to his trousers, that is, with the trouser hems riding above the shoes and showing sock, I wonder which small midwestern community he’s a pillar of. Sorry."

Designer Michael Bastian on how the right call can make or break a suit “I like cuffs on pants of just about any fabric. Of course, when you’re dealing with heavier corduroys and tweeds, the cuffs serve a purpose: They give the pants some weight, so they fall better. I say, if you’re gonna go for a cuff, go for it; make it at least an inch and a quarter deep. As for the break, 90 percent of guys keep it classic, where the front of your pants hits the top bit of your shoes and the back of them touches the tops of your heels. That always works"

I would bet most current designers that target younger demographics would say the opposite, fact is that there is nothing wrong with the younger "hipper" styles of wearing your pants.  There is also nothing wrong with wearing your pants like an older man as long as you don't over do it and look sloppy. I have one suit pant with a cuff tailored to a mid-break.  The rest are all no cuff with little to no break, I wear shorter coats as well.  Its not to sell socks or belts.  Its because I'm less than 40 years old and want to dress like it.  By the way your man Michael Bastian's website is revealing about his style sense, its not the sock companies with this pic
http://www.michaelba...c.com/shop.html
oh, and these are recent pics of Michael Bastian "selling socks" for reference:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 Jigga

Jigga

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20062
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostJimmy Mac, on 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

There is no fixed rule as to trouser length. A lot depends on the build of the person wearing the pants.

I am a big guy, because of this, the width of the legs on my pants are quite a bit larger than what would be built for a person with a thinner frame. With a wider leg, a half to full break gives the best lines, to go with no break would simply look silly with a lot of extra fabric flapping about.  

Likewise, for a gentleman with a lean, lanky build, buying a trimly tailored pant with a full break would look out of place.

It's a question of taste, not a fixed rule.

This guy nailed.

#69 twixster888

twixster888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27304
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

View Postsanjaygolf, on 17 February 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Yea, Goose's pants are too long. Not as bad looking as that shirt though. Yikes!

if you were to receive a yearly check from Taylormade for wearing the shirt, i'm pretty sure you too would sport the ugly shirt.

#70 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Can someone post a pic of marc omeara's son? The pants he wears are borderline capris.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 Colby327

Colby327

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31622
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

View Postnatural_one, on 19 February 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

what a weird thread.

A weird thread indeed, yet for some reason I read through it all.   Lots of the pictures involve knee flex which is distorting the lengths, but I'm with the OP that Casey Wittenberg's pants look terrible. Lenght, width, etc., everything is wrong.
Titleist 913D3 Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway XHP 15*  VTS Silver
Adams IDEA a12 19*  VTS Silver
Ping S56  DGTI X100
Scratch 1018 50DD, TVD 56K & 60K
Byron 612 TCB
WITB Link

#72 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

I can't stand pants that catch on the top of shoes every time I sit down or bend over.

I look for enough length to hang to the heel.  Then enough width and opening to not catch.  This is why the V-hem has become so popular.

Slightly short and tapered/tight is a no go, ever

#73 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostColby327, on 28 February 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

View Postnatural_one, on 19 February 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

what a weird thread.

A weird thread indeed, yet for some reason I read through it all.   Lots of the pictures involve knee flex which is distorting the lengths, but I'm with the OP that Casey Wittenberg's pants look terrible. Lenght, width, etc., everything is wrong.

You guys should go check out his Shoelace thread.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#74 Josh L.

Josh L.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216403
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Postkekoa, on 28 February 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

Can someone post a pic of marc omeara's son? The pants he wears are borderline capris.

I believe he owns a sock company, hence why he was wearing pants that were real short.

#75 natural_one

natural_one

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144033
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

View Postkekoa, on 28 February 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

cant find it, but his clothing line is http://www.duvindesign.com

#76 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

gets worse at doral !!!

#77 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

THIS PRO IS READY TO TRIP AT TAMPA

#78 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I can't even believe that I'm reading this topic.
Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

#79 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Truly terrifying that a style related topic would be posted in such a sub-forum!

#80 drifter12

drifter12

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137555
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

i keep reading through this thread for some reason. something about looking at golfers' trouser lengths i guess :russian_roulette: my pant length is just like rory's in the above photo, so i'm guilty of breaking your trouser length standard ronnbee.

Covert 2.0 Black Pro 63
906F4 15.5 AD-DJ 7
TEE XCG7 Beta 19 Black Tie 7M3.1
MP-60 4-PW C-Taper Lite
MP-T4 52/58
Newport 2 Notchback

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

I keep coming back to this thread, too. I think it's interesting (really eye-opening, sometimes) to see what other people think looks good/bad.

Heck, the "Shorts with pleats/no pleats?" thread had legs (ok, pun intended there), for some unknown reason. At least this thread has some better pics in it.

#82 natural_one

natural_one

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144033
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

View Postdrifter12, on 13 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

i keep reading through this thread for some reason. something about looking at golfers' trouser lengths i guess :russian_roulette: my pant length is just like rory's in the above photo, so i'm guilty of breaking your trouser length standard ronnbee.

X2 !!!! I get mine tailored to hang over my shoes when standing so that when I sit I dont expose half of my leg. Call me crazy, or young and American. :blink:

#83 Locked

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133794
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

These guys had it perfect!Posted Image

#84 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Whoever's in charge of G Mac and Stricker's tailoring should be put in charge of alterations for ALL slacks on the PGA tour.

#85 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I love that pic of Hogan and Arnie.  One of my favorite golf pics ever, I have it saved on my computer at home from when I saw it long ago.   First, because those guys are just cool.   Second, because despite their relationship (Hogan was awful to Palmer) it's pretty clear that young Palmer is emulating the elder Hogan here.

That said, both their pants are too short for modern style.   Not much too short, but too short.   Especially Arnie.

#86 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

LOOK AT THESE 2 WELL DRESSED(TROUSER LENGTH)

#87 defaultoprime

defaultoprime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229953
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm good with whatever, provided your underwear isn't showing...

Edited by defaultoprime, 20 March 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Titleist 983E 8.5* Prolite S
TEE CB3 Tour 4W 16.5 Stock Motore
E21 Hybrids 20* & 26*
Hogan Apex Edge 2-E Stiff
Gigagolf Wedges 52/56 (not too bad)
Tour Edge T-Balance 01 Putter

#88 BigPete

BigPete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83849
  • Handicap:12.1
  • Ebay ID:petekirkham25
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Inexplicably addictive read....
Cobra L4V Matrix HD7 stiff
Mizuno JPX EZ 18 whiteboard stiff
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 / 825 25 Orochi stiff
Mizuno JPX 825 pro 5-pw XP S300
Mizuno MPR12 50 54 60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC2
WITB Link

#89 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postronnbee, on 20 March 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

LOOK AT THESE 2 WELL DRESSED(TROUSER LENGTH)

This is getting funny.  Do you look at "trouser" length in every random picture that you stumble across?  What an obsession LOL!

#90 chilidip

chilidip

UNITY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92641
  • Ebay ID:kranicar
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Holy metrosexual post!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors