Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What Type of Member Are You?

76 replies to this topic

#1 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Boards such as this live and die by the quality of their content. And this means they rely on the members to essentially allow the board to thrive. I know this all too well; I used to own a board centered on safe online auctioning. (when eBay started their own mine was dead in the water)

But having been a member here long enough to get to know the membership, I see some basic similarities between my old board and this one. I am referring to the people who make up the board. Everyone probably drifts into various categories, but the real question is simply this; where do you fall most of the time when you are here?
  • Monitor, Marshall, Moderator - these are the guys who make the rules and insure that they are followed. Their job is tough, constant, and they never get enough credit, believe me. Were it not for their efforts boards such as this end up being filled with spam post, attacks, political discussions, and everything else you don't want to see/read here.Theirs is a thankless job but a critical one. The bigger the board the bigger the job.
  • Great Addition - these people have probably been around for a long time. They post when necessary. Their post are always valued and worth reading.
  • The Entertainers - these posters are just downright funny. Some try and utterly fail but for the entertainers it comes naturally. Rarely are their post serious but ironically when they are they are intelligent and inciteful. These people make boards like this fun.
  • The Stalkers - these people rarely if ever post. But they read almost everything available. When they do decide to post it is usually, in my experience, to either ask a question or to defend another member whom they have grown to know through their reading. For every one person who does opt to post there are probably two stalkers. (based on the membership to posters ratio on my board years ago) These Stalkers aren't dangerous. They are just browsing through, reading, and passing a little time.
  • The Newbies - these guys, as the name implies, are new to the community. They may accidentally break a rule or two, ask questions that were already answered several times over, and seem ignorant. But we were all "Newbies" at one time and these members represent the future of the board. Any board that fails to draw a constant flow of new members is going to die a slow and painful death.
  • The Trolls - these characters come in looking for trouble. They jump on any opportunity to post an attack. Online boards represent the only forum they can do this in most cases; their real lives are boring and mundane. Being able to attack someone else and remain anonymous feels good to them. Rarely do they add to the board's content. Although they do make things interesting because, afterall, everyone enjoys a little conflict now and then. Their favorite targets are "Newbies" which makes the job of the Mods all the more important.
  • Just Visiting - these are the potential members who come in, read a little, and then decide whether or not to join and post.When they finally opt to sign-in they often browse for awhile as Stalker members (and Newbies) prior to actually starting to add content.
My board was online from 1998 until 2011. In that time I had a lot of uniques and I really monitored what was going on. I came up with the above names and actually posted it on my board when it was in its prime.

And so my question to those reading this; there are clearly those listed above who are assets and there is at least one who is not. Where do you fall? Do you feel that you actually contribute worthwhile info when you visit or do you use this board (and probably others) as your own personal playground to attack the thoughts and post of others.

Ok, I will step down off of the soapbox now. Hope the mods don't think I am trying to cause trouble posting this.
Jim Wilson
"Medic" around these parts....

TM Jetspeed w/ Prolaunch Platinum 60 XS
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Turbs

Turbs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50814
  • Ebay ID:Turbo7337
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

I think you need to add Info Junki and Wheeler dealers... I love to search out topics and I have made some really good purchases on this site.

#3 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I haven't been around that long (compared to a lot of other folk)  but I am obviously a great addition... :russian_roulette:
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#4 feedlotdoc

feedlotdoc

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86388
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I would like to be an Entainer, but I am scared of the Trolls so alas I end up being a Stalker...I shouldn't even post this but it is time I came out of my shell and stood up to those mean old trolls.

#5 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2415

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I dunno man.

I don't see my self as a great addition, but I certainly don't troll.  I've been put in timeout twice, so I'm no Mod.  I try to be funny but I don't often come across that way.

I'm Just a normal, boring poster I guess, trying to learn as much as I can about golf.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#6 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostVindog, on 14 February 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

I dunno man.

I don't see my self as a great addition, but I certainly don't troll.  I've been put in timeout twice, so I'm no Mod.  I try to be funny but I don't often come across that way.

I'm Just a normal, boring poster I guess, trying to learn as much as I can about golf.

No Vin, hate to pop that bubble and disagree but you my friend are an entertainer with some great addition thrown in for good measure. I have laughed at your post more times than could be counted.

I realize, having read the replies, that I did leave some out. Those who question, those who shop; there are definitely other personalities on here. The point is that we are one big melting pot of different ideas and opinions which is what makes a board like this thrive. Noone's perspective, opinion, or idea is any more or any less valuable to the overall content of the board. Which is apparently a bitter pill to swallow for many who visit.

BTW Vin, where is your old image file? Now THAT was entertaining!
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

#7 golfpunk59

golfpunk59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11771
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Definitely a stalker. Member since 2006 and only 365 posts haha.

#8 KBNYY

KBNYY

Advanced

• 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125635
  • Ebay ID:KBNYY0225
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Where's the section for "One in the Crowd"

I usually just read everything I possibly can, toss in a little bit here and there when necessary, and take pleasure in watching the "good old boys" of the forum hold court. It is incredible just how vast the knowledge is here. I hate it when you see some of our more established members having to involve themselves into debates with those that come in looking for some trouble or a rise, defend their initial post to the death, and still fail to see the countless number of replies that have set the facts straight.

#9 agray94

agray94

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223869
  • Ebay ID:agray94
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

newbie...and definite infoseeker, hopefully someday a bit of an entertainer.

#10 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Postgolfpunk59, on 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Definitely a stalker. Member since 2006 and only 365 posts haha.

That might be a record you know. I think you have the lowest post total combined with lowest member number - there should be some sort of certificate or something. But seriously, it just tells me that you probably only piped in when it was necessary. In my book it makes your post more valid. Quality over quantity as they say....

TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 mgilly200

mgilly200

Advanced

• 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72920
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm more of a stalker. I think some of "newbie" post initially resulted in me feeling like an idiot, which then lead me to become more of the stalker type. I still marvel at how much I DONT know about golf,even though I know a ton, when I read what you guys post. I sit back and learn and get a kick out of the "entertainers." I pop in from time to time when I feel like I have something worthy of posting that can help someone.

I love this place.
Silly season set up..TBD

#12 whatsthecourserecord

whatsthecourserecord

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6716
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

I definitely fall into the stalker category.  Obviously don't post alot  but read through the site multiple times through the day.
Xhot 9.5* open setting D+ 72X
TM Stage 2 14.5* Oban Revenge 8X
Adams Super DHY 18* Ozik White HX3X
Ping I20 3-P CFS X with cushin
Ping Rustique 52 Cally Xforged 58 S400
Scotty Select Newport 2

#13 vaterman

vaterman

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195002
  • Handicap:9,7
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

I am Newbie. But also seeks info and entertainment. This place is huge and it takes a lot of time to learn who is who. Here and there I try to spark in but certeainly this has not steered a huge commotion amongst the members here. Thats fine. It can be difficult sometimes not having english as my native language to catch some of the humor in here or get some of the references to real life persons. But that is not a problem thats just part of learning.

For now I enjoy learning all kinds of things in here and that is really great. It also gives me some insight in how many americans think and that is really interesting and eyeopening

#14 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Between entertainer (not even close to thrill and Issac), great addition (I know I've helped some folks) and stalker

#15 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4601

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't know what category I would fit in. I've been around a while. I try to add value when I can, but I'm certainly no expert, nor an entertainer. :-)

Hey...be nice.

#16 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

You'll have to ask others but I see myself as a combination of them. Lurker, helpful, troll, and confrontational at times. Ah, it's all (mostly) good :). Throwing a bit of humor too.

#17 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.3
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1268

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I refuse to be labeled !!

:)
RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#18 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• 4,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1043

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Add in "equipment ho"...

#19 ScottyK1311

ScottyK1311

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209847
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I joined the site in November of 2012, and I definitely fall into the stalker category.  I am constantly checking in on the equipment and instruction sub-forums, but I rarely post. Recently, however, I am not heading into the instruction sub-forum as much because I have decided to focus on Monte's swing philosophies, which are well documented on his blog.
Titleist 975J 8.5* - Proforce Gold 75X
Adams Super S *18 - Matrix Radix S
Ping i5 4-PW - DG X100
Ping Tour 54*, Vokey 58*

#20 outlawmichigan

outlawmichigan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76847
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

I primarily visit this site for the classifieds, due to all of the trolls around here, but I also like to visit the mid-west threads and visit course reviews of places I plan to play.  I have looked at some of the equipment reviews, but there is nothing funnier than reading a review of blade irons with x flex shafts, which was written by a 15 handicap with a swing speed of 80.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 bsb70x7

bsb70x7

bsb70x7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85283
  • Ebay ID:bsb70x7
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Stalker.  But if I post in this thread, I may lose my stalker status.

#22 Rtkamphuis

Rtkamphuis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206045
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Stalker/info seeker.  Since I have joined I have found more valuable information ( and some good laughs) than I was expecting.  The classified ads are fun to watch, but the discussions on clubs, repairs, etc is great.

#23 phillypete

phillypete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2261
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I would label myself a drifter. I've been around here since the beginning. At times I've been very engaged and post often, then I'll go months without logging on.

#24 Medic

Medic

6th at Disney's Magnolia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

View Postphillypete, on 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

I would label myself a drifter. I've been around here since the beginning. At times I've been very engaged and post often, then I'll go months without logging on.

Hey Pete,

I gotta ask. How much has this board changed since the beginning in your humble? I can only imagine what this board must have been like before it came into its own.
TM Rbz 17* 3 Wood HL
Callaway X 19* 5 Wood
Callaway X-24 Hot 4-SW
Cleveland CG-16 60*
Wilson 8802 35"

#25 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I would label myself as "All Of The Above"...But mostly, I take the roll of the "Bad Cop" ... :bb:

:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#26 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostMrParr1Noid, on 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I would label myself as "All Of The Above"...But mostly, I take the roll of the "Bad Cop" ... :bb:

With your picture, your name, and those blue letters under your picture, you're downright scary! jk
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#27 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Just here for the free stuff!!

#28 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5054

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think we need more detailed levels. Some guys won't fit into any of those....to me there is:

1) The specialist: Guy who knows a ton about certain things, like clubmaking, or the golf swing, or putters, and generally posts only in those forums. Think like a Monte or iteach.
2) The all around good guy: Not necessarily an expert, but all around good poster who everyone likes. Sean2 is a good example
3) The club ho: Guy who has an opinion that is trustworthy about every club because he has hit them all. Think Pure745 or GolfJunki
4) The tour talk/general talk guy: Guy who posts regularly in the general golf talk or tour forums but isn't necessarily a club ho. Vindog or Kymar come to mind
5) The comedian: I'd say probably 75% of posts contain a joke of some kind....like thrillhouse for example
6) The respected dinosaur: guy who's been around the forums for years, doesn't necessarily post as much anymore but is supremely respected when he does...think stage1350
7) The homer: guy who only posts about a certain player or brand....i won't name names on this one
8) The lurker: Guy who rarely posts but just reads a lot
9) The "I'd hit that" guy: A poster who never adds anything to valuable but posts a decent amount
10) The inciter: Guy who comes on the forum just to start fights. He's the guy in every thread where people make predictions, who revives it weeks later with the "you were saying?" comment. No one likes this guy
11) The tour spy: Guy who mostly posts about early release stuff or tour only stuff. Like Robo
12) The new guy who thinks he has the site figured out: Guy who has been here less then 1 year and has already started one thread called "do you know what i hate about this site?:
13) The perfect poster: Guy who seamlessly blends unimaginable wit into posts that are almost entirely irrefutable, is dashingly handsome and is essentially beyond reproach in every regard. Also contains moderate levels of TMAG resentment.
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#29 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4601

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Jeff. You're very kind.

By the way, I think you're the 13. Except for the last sentence. ;-)

Edited by Sean2, 16 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Hey...be nice.

#30 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5054

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

LOL, yeah that was the dead giveaway that i was singing my own praises, as the saying goes :)

Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors