Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Odyssey Versa Series

60 replies to this topic

#1 bjwestner

bjwestner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219463
  • Ebay ID:bjwestner1
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

So I went to GG as I was going to trade in my Golo.  I liked it but I was not putting well with it at all.  I had gotten it a few months back when I was a mallet only guy.  Since I have now found that blades seem to be for me (I have been gaming my SC Select Newport 2 and have been putting the best I ever have), there was no reason for the Golo to sit around if I was never going to game it again.

I need a back-up putter though as I like to change it up every 5 or 6 rounds or so to get a different feel for a couple of rounds before going back to the trusted Newport 2.  I told myself before I went to GG last night though that if I did not find anything that I really liked that it was okay and I would just keep an eye out for a back-up putter.

So I traded in the Golo last night and saw the Versa Series from Odyssey for the first time in person.  I had read about them online and heard some good and some bad things about them.  Looks wise they are okay, different but not to the point where looks alone would prevent me from buying one if I putted well with it.

I have spent hours and hours at this GG putting dozens of different kinds of putters since I started golfing.  I had never made more putts at GG with a putter until I picked up a 34" Versa Wide #1 last night.  Everything about it felt right and even other customers that were in the store commented on the dozens and dozens of putts from varying distances that I sank last night with that putter.  I was very impressed.  At first I thought it was odd that there was no sight lines on the putter that assisted in getting the right line on the putt, but then I realized that the sight lines that went up and down may be even better because that makes it easier to square the face which could be even better!

Lately I have preferred no inserts but this insert felt great.  Soft enough but still solid.  I love my Newport 2 but sometimes I wish it was just a bit softer.  Thus I picked up the Versa Wide #1 last night.  My Newport 2 is still going to be my primary putter but I will give the Versa a chance as the backup and if it performs as well as it did last night then it could very well take over the starting job.

Is the craftsmanship as good on the Versa versus my SC?  Nope.  But I am glad that I tried it out because for a while I was thinking that there was no way that I was going to try these cheap looking Odysseys that look like a Zebra.  I play with some guys that think the same way, I mean, a $350 putter has to be better than one that is not even half of that price, right?  Well that was not the case last night and I'm glad I gave it a try.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 vix02

vix02

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89110
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Interesting...The same thing happened to me.  Loved the look and feel of the Golo but I couldn't ignore the fact that I was 'putting the lights out' with my White Ice #7 with little effort.  So I sold it.

How would you compare the Versa insert vs White Ice?  I like the lines on the new versa
Titleist 913 D2 9.5* Speeder 661
Titleist 913 Fd 15*  Speeder 757
Titleist 913 Hd 20* VTS Silver TourSPX
PING S55 4-PW PXi 6.5
Vokey TVD K 54, 60 TI S400
2014 Scotty Cameron Golo 5

#3 bjwestner

bjwestner

• 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I like the insert in the Versa much better than the White Ice, however, I have become a much better putter now than I was when I owned a putter with the White Ice insert so part of that may be because I am improved regardless of the putter.

#4 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213973
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I currently have 2 Scotty's and now I'm going to switch to the Versa this year.  I like to look of the #9(2nd photo). But sank everything with the #1 wide (which looks like my Squareback).  Good thing golf season doesn't start for a few months so I can make up my mind.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

TM SLDR white 10.5 Matrix Black Tie
TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Odyssey Versa Wide 1 WBW 33"
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#5 bjwestner

bjwestner

• 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

With the #1 wide it looks almost like it's bent when you are standing over the putter about to hit a putt.  I think it's just an optical illusion though because of the stripes......

#6 dmalli

dmalli

Puma Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194114
  • Ebay ID:dmalli7
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

#1 wide looks great. Id like to either rock a #1 wide or #9.

#7 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yeah. Went back to GT and hit them both again.  Leaning heavily towards to 1 wide
TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#8 blt2280

blt2280

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13365
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Has anyone contacted Odyssey about adding a Site Dot to the Versa #1 just wondering coming from a Lefty

#9 bjwestner

bjwestner

• 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

After practicing putting with the #1 wide the last few nights, I am feeling more and more comfortable with out a sight line or dots

#10 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I've got the Versa #1 BWB and an XG 2.0 #1 (has a sight line on top).  The Versa is SOOO much easier to align than the XG #1.  I also tried the Versa #2 BWB at the store (similar shape to #1, but has a sight line on top)- I found the #2 difficult to align as I went back-and-forth between the sight line and Versa alignment systems, just too much going on there.

Those that are hesitant about the blade styles without alignment dots/lines should really give them a shot before passing.

Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland 588 MB (or TA5 gunmetal) 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postbrew4eagle, on 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

I've got the Versa #1 BWB and an XG 2.0 #1 (has a sight line on top).  The Versa is SOOO much easier to align than the XG #1.  I also tried the Versa #2 BWB at the store (similar shape to #1, but has a sight line on top)- I found the #2 difficult to align as I went back-and-forth between the sight line and Versa alignment systems, just too much going on there.

Those that are hesitant about the blade styles without alignment dots/lines should really give them a shot before passing.

I like the #1 wide in the WBW.
TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#12 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I picked up a Versa 2-ball a few weeks back and was convinced it or the V-Line Pro would be in the bag this year.  Was putting with the #9 BWB today and was so comfortable with it.  Just felt like it brought out a natural stroke.  Looks very compact and clean at address and I had very good results.

#13 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostKonklifer, on 16 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I picked up a Versa 2-ball a few weeks back and was convinced it or the V-Line Pro would be in the bag this year.  Was putting with the #9 BWB today and was so comfortable with it.  Just felt like it brought out a natural stroke.  Looks very compact and clean at address and I had very good results.

Did u buy it too?
TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#14 JayLefty

JayLefty

My club switching habits make me wish I was righty...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29711
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Is the white part of the putter painted? I am concerned about the paint chipping like the ghost putters.
G25 9.5* w/ Speeder TS 7.2X
SLDR 3 Hybrid w/ Speeder TS 9.3X
714 AP2 4-PW w/ X100
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58* w/ X100
California Monterey or
Futura X Dual Balance

#15 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostJayLefty, on 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Is the white part of the putter painted? I am concerned about the paint chipping like the ghost putters.

From the source...all white is paint...all black is PVD.

Big Bertha Alpha, Veylix Rome Wildeye
Big Bertha 15&18 Motore Speeder 8.1x
Apex UT 18*, Ctaper Lite 115X
Apex 4,5/Apex Pro 6-G Ctaper S+
Odyssey Versa #6 & MXM #6
Callaway MD2 52,54,58 Ctaper S+

#16 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

View Postmike johnston, on 17 February 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

View PostKonklifer, on 16 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Did u buy it too?

Not yet.  ;)

#17 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

View Postbrew4eagle, on 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

I did some extensive testing this weekend with the BWB Versa #1 vs my XG 2.0 #1.  While I do find the Versa easier to align, I've decided to stick with the XG 2.0 #1.  Mainly for 2 reasons- first I prefer the feel of the XG 2.0 insert vs the new White Hot.  I found that I'm able to control the distance better with the XG 2.0 insert, most likely due to how much more experience I have with it.  The second reason is that I like the weight (or lake thereof) of the XG 2.0 vs the Versa.  I find the Versa a touch too heavy for me at 343 grams.  Again this is due to my experience of using the XG 2.0 for the last 2 seasons.

Back to the alignment- while I do find the Versa easier to align, it didn't result in making any more putts for me vs the XG 2.0.  I just find that I have to focus a little more with the XG 2.0, that is it isn't as automatic/point-and-shoot as the Versa.  Bottom line was that I made more putts and lagged better with the XG 2.0 for the reasons I pointed out above.
Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland 588 MB (or TA5 gunmetal) 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3

#18 bjwestner

bjwestner

• 172 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Apparently the tour issued Versa putters have a different insert?  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  I saw a #7 tour issued Versa on Ebay and it looked like it had a metal x insert that was painted black?

I searched and searched and this was the only one that I could find.  I was under the impression that the PGA players using the Versa series putters were using the same putters basically that are sold in retail and the insert was the same?

#19 wrbush31

wrbush31

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34217
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postbjwestner, on 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Apparently the tour issued Versa putters have a different insert?  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  I saw a #7 tour issued Versa on Ebay and it looked like it had a metal x insert that was painted black?

I searched and searched and this was the only one that I could find.  I was under the impression that the PGA players using the Versa series putters were using the same putters basically that are sold in retail and the insert was the same?

I believe that was just a different insert.  The inserts on tour can change from player to player.

#20 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

Major Winner

• 1,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Which color scheme is the most preferred...White-Black-White...or Black-White-Black?  And wouldn't one or the other be "the best" optically in lining up putts?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I prefer WBW. Gonna pick up the #1wide Saturday.
TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#22 Texan In The Northwest

Texan In The Northwest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212195
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

#1Wide b/w/b will be here from UPS tomorrow :) It's the PERFECT putter from my accounts so far.

#23 Odyssey_Koske

Odyssey_Koske

Global Director, Odyssey Golf

• Sponsors
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101928
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Two different inserts.  Most of the guys using Versa are using the stock insert, but there are a handful of guys that love Metal-X so we wanted to have that available for them.  The black one is actually anodized black.

#24 mike johnston

mike johnston

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostOdyssey PM, on 21 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Two different inserts.  Most of the guys using Versa are using the stock insert, but there are a handful of guys that love Metal-X so we wanted to have that available for them.  The black one is actually anodized black.

What about to the public??

TM RBZ Tour 5 Wood
TM RBZ Tour 3 Hybrid
TM R11 True Temper
Cleveland CG15 50/55/60

#25 bjwestner

bjwestner

• 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Apparently the tour issued Versa putters have a different insert? Can anyone confirm or deny this? I saw a #7 tour issued Versa on Ebay and it looked like it had a metal x insert that was painted black? I searched and searched and this was the only one that I could find. I was under the impression that the PGA players using the Versa series putters were using the same putters basically that are sold in retail and the insert was the same?
Two different inserts. Most of the guys using Versa are using the stock insert, but there are a handful of guys that love Metal-X so we wanted to have that available for them. The black one is actually anodized black.

Thanks for the answer.  I really like my 1 wide Versa.  I had the option of going with either the w/b/w or the b/w/b and ended up with the b/w/b because I wanted the white insert instead of the black.

I was just on Odyssey's website and was looking at the White Hot Pro that is about to drop on March 1.  From what I read, it appears that the White Hot Pro and the Versa have the same new White Hot insert?

#26 Odyssey_Koske

Odyssey_Koske

Global Director, Odyssey Golf

• Sponsors
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101928
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postbjwestner, on 21 February 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Apparently the tour issued Versa putters have a different insert? Can anyone confirm or deny this? I saw a #7 tour issued Versa on Ebay and it looked like it had a metal x insert that was painted black? I searched and searched and this was the only one that I could find. I was under the impression that the PGA players using the Versa series putters were using the same putters basically that are sold in retail and the insert was the same?
Two different inserts. Most of the guys using Versa are using the stock insert, but there are a handful of guys that love Metal-X so we wanted to have that available for them. The black one is actually anodized black.

Thanks for the answer.  I really like my 1 wide Versa.  I had the option of going with either the w/b/w or the b/w/b and ended up with the b/w/b because I wanted the white insert instead of the black.

I was just on Odyssey's website and was looking at the White Hot Pro that is about to drop on March 1.  From what I read, it appears that the White Hot Pro and the Versa have the same new White Hot insert?

Correct sir!  Old White Hot feel, but we've improved the consistency of sound and ball speed across the face.

#27 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

View Postblt2280, on 14 February 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Has anyone contacted Odyssey about adding a Site Dot to the Versa #1 just wondering coming from a Lefty

I have a #1(RH), and trust me...after a couple of rounds or ONE...you will not want the sight dot or line...the thing just squares up automatically!! Just use the line on the ball to get your line and line up off that, you will TRULY know when you are square..every time!

#28 defurche

defurche

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227217
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I am thinking of switching to a Versa.  I have been using a Scotty for years but I feel like its time for a change.  I putt fairly well with my Scotty but I am not lights out with it and my confidence is fading with it.  Looking forward to adding a Versa to the bag.

#29 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postdefurche, on 21 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

I am thinking of switching to a Versa.  I have been using a Scotty for years but I feel like its time for a change.  I putt fairly well with my Scotty but I am not lights out with it and my confidence is fading with it.  Looking forward to adding a Versa to the bag.

You won't be sorry!! And Welcome to Wrx!!

#30 defurche

defurche

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227217
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thanks!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors