Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 3 votes

Rackmageddon -- a Hogan iron story

Ben Hogan irons classic clubs

184 replies to this topic

#181 HoganApexBlades

HoganApexBlades

...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249580
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

NICE!!! Those are '62's...I just found the 5 & 6 irons to my '61's!!! All I need now is the Equalizer!

'61 Hogan Power Thrusts 2-9 (ProFit)
'74 Hogan Apex 2-E (Apex 3)
'87 Hogan Apex PC 1-SW (Apex 4)
'87 Hogan Apex PC 2-E (Apex Extra 4)
'61 MacGregor Tommy Armour V.F.Q. 2-D.S. (Pro-Pel #1)
CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#182 kobe882

kobe882

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272797
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

great thread. I really want to get a set of the 88 redlines myself. I've been looking a for a little while now. Great looking set.

#183 Shade Ruff

Shade Ruff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221751
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

View Postfreddiec, on 11 March 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Anybody know an easy way to distinguish (while shopping on the bay) which model Hogan PC is the model that had the leading edge that had more of a roll to it. I once owned a set in the late 80s that had a great leading edge (it had a slight bevel to it like most good blades). Hogan later (I guess) one of the years got rid of that model and it seemed they went to a very very sharp leading edge and less beveled.   Anybody have knowledge of why they did this. I've asked this question many times and never got an answer.

View Postfreddiec, on 11 December 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Great thread. The 80s PC also was made w 2 different grinds. I played a set that had a great grind. Most of the ones you see are the model w a very sharp leading edge w almost no bevel

View PostOl_Pardner, on 12 December 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Freddie's right. Another thing that I noticed with the different PC grinds, or models, is that the set of sharper leading edge PCs that I have, runs about 1/4" shorter than the rounded sole model, almost as if that was one of years when the golfing industry, decided to "grow" standard length by a fraction.

View Postfreddiec, on 12 December 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Ol Partner, thats interesting... In 1986 after woking a morning shift in the "bag room" at the Club cleaning clubs and carts, I ventured 5 miles to a public course called "Sagamore" in Lynnfield, Ma. The Pro called "Apple" had the best and selection of used clubs. You guys would have loved what he had. He literally invented the "trade in" in our area. He had a rack 12 feet by 4, all iron sets boxed up labled with prices. He always had about 25 to 30 sets and it seemed like he always had the good stuff, lots of staffs, Hogans and Macgregors. He had a decent selection of drivers (real wood) in a big barrel, once picked up a nice MT1W..  I was currently playing a set of 85 staffs which I was getting tired of.  Most of the assistants in our shop were Hogan guys, my buddy Eric the 1st assistant had the 73 apex, the guy could play, once beat Jay Siegal in the Philly amateur.  That afternoon I found the nicest barely used set of Hogan PCs , the model with a more rounded leading and trailing edge. I can still remember bolting to my course and hitting them on the grass range on a briliant summer afternoon. They were the cats Meow... the off da heezy fo' sheezy, thats for sure.  Thats the set I'm still looking for occassionally. I'm pretty sure Donna Summer was playing on the radio when I was hitting balls, the pool backed up right to the Range.

freddiec,

I believe the first production model PCs made in 1984 with the AMF Ben Hogan Apex labels (shaft flex number inside the sun emblem) were those with more of a rolled leading edge.  My set of 1987 model year PCs with Apex Extra shafts seems to have the sharper leading edge you describe.

Since you picked up your PC set in 1986, it could well be it was one of the earlier production years - possibly with the AMF Ben Hogan Apex shaft labels I've described above.

Shade

Edited by Shade Ruff, 18 January 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#184 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
GolfWRX Likes : 879

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

That certainly matches my set of PCs. Mine have the AMF branded shaft labels, and a nice blunted leading edge. I don't know whether you can rely on post-AMF shafts coming with the sharper grind or not. Also, on clubs that age, it's not always going to be easy to tell whether the shaft labels originally had AMF on them. I was quite surprised to be able to find it on a couple of mine - to be honest, before I looked (and I've probably had these clubs close to 15 years), I thought mine were post-AMF.

#185 Shade Ruff

Shade Ruff

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221751
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

View Postbirly-shirly, on 20 January 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

That certainly matches my set of PCs. Mine have the AMF branded shaft labels, and a nice blunted leading edge. I don't know whether you can rely on post-AMF shafts coming with the sharper grind or not. Also, on clubs that age, it's not always going to be easy to tell whether the shaft labels originally had AMF on them. I was quite surprised to be able to find it on a couple of mine - to be honest, before I looked (and I've probably had these clubs close to 15 years), I thought mine were post-AMF.

birly-shirly,

Agree.  AMF sold the Ben Hogan line in 1985.  At some point thereafter, the shaft labels transitioned to an AMF-free design with "Hogan" in a stylized script accompanied by APEX in block letters and the shaft flex inside a circle as seen below.  Since the PC production run was from 1984-1987, the grind transition was somewhere in between.  As noted earlier, my 1987 PCs with Apex Extra shafts have the sharper leading edge.

Shade

Attached Files

• Attached File  HSa.jpg   19.8K   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors