Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2004 TaylorMade RAC cb's MIURA or not?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 threejack

threejack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3986
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Looking for all EXPERTS on this subject. I have read various threads here and everywhere else about these irons and there seems to be alot of confusion.

I have a set of these that I bought here a while back under the assumption that they are Miura forged. NOT tour issue, but definitely MIURA. I have read things on various boards recently that has me wondering if my set is Miura. I am posting pics of my set here and I will be emailing TM about them as well. My set has TP shaft bands and a serial number on the 5 iron. They are satin with silver ring ferrules and have cb stamped on the hosel. Miura? Need more info?

I decided to start this thread after reading a for sale ad in the BST for set of cbs. A few different people posted that his set isn't Miura or tour. Now I could care less about tour issue, but I want to clear things up about whether or not the RAC cbs are indeed Miura. More importantly whether or not MY SET is Miura.

I'm guessing that most are not Miura and a few sets were?

[attachment=116151:attachment]

[attachment=116152:attachment]

[attachment=116153:attachment]

Edited by threejack, 13 March 2007 - 09:05 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 drgatz

drgatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1207
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Taylormade had it posted in an FAQ on their website that these irons...only the full TP CB set was in fact Miura forged.  The CBs in the TP MB/CB set were not Miura forged...neither were the MBs.  If they were lying then they would open themselves up to lawsuits.  Also, they haven't stated publicly that any other irons were miura forged on their website.

So my take on it is that your clubs are Miura forged despite what all of those people who bought "T" stamped sets say.

They also stated that the "made in China" stickers were put on in error and that the heads were forged in Japan by miura.

#3 threejack

threejack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

View Postdrgatz, on Mar 14 2007, 02:32 AM, said:

Taylormade had it posted in an FAQ on their website that these irons...only the full TP CB set was in fact Miura forged. The CBs in the TP MB/CB set were not Miura forged...neither were the MBs. If they were lying then they would open themselves up to lawsuits. Also, they haven't stated publicly that any other irons were miura forged on their website.

So my take on it is that your clubs are Miura forged despite what all of those people who bought "T" stamped sets say.

They also stated that the "made in China" stickers were put on in error and that the heads were forged in Japan by miura.

Thanks. Please keep the info coming.

#4 dolleris

dolleris

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1008
  • Ebay ID:sdoxr03
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

All full satin sets of CB's were Miura forged.
The CB's in the Combo set (chrome finish) were not.
My bag:
TM RBZ stage2 driver
TM RBZ Stage2 tour HL fw
TM RBZ Stage2 tour hybrid
TM Rocketbladez tour 4-PW
TM ATV and Vokey TVD wedges

#5 BCULAW

BCULAW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2307
  • Ebay ID:bculaw
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

View Postdrgatz, on Mar 14 2007, 02:32 AM, said:

Taylormade had it posted in an FAQ on their website that these irons...only the full TP CB set was in fact Miura forged.  The CBs in the TP MB/CB set were not Miura forged...neither were the MBs.  If they were lying then they would open themselves up to lawsuits.  Also, they haven't stated publicly that any other irons were miura forged on their website.

This is my recollection also.  The TM website specifically stated that the RAC CB sets were forged in the "renowned Miura forging house in Japan."  Hard to be any clearer than that.  I also e-mailed TM customer service and they confirmed them as Miura.  I am not sure why so many state that they are not, but have yet to see any definitive evidence to dispute what TM said on their website.

#6 marty69

marty69

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25756

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

wait so the tp versions are and the cb version are not? im confused, im gonna pick up a set of the ones that are. so lets go over this again. Thanks guys ha

#7 gibby

gibby

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1394

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Only the first 500 sets were Miura forged.....and about 100 of those sets went to the tour van....the other 400 went to Japan......If you got one of the very first sets out of Japan then I would say the odds are good that they are Miura....if you got these in late 2004 or after I would bet that they are retail made in China.......there is a huge misconception that the 2004 Rac CBs were Miura, but the fact is they were NOT!!!

Edited by gibby, 14 March 2007 - 09:25 AM.

#8 abewley

abewley

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 876
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

WRONG..

ALL 2004 rac cb's were miura per TM.

#9 gibby

gibby

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

No you are wrong.....I spent 4 years at Taylormade and I know this for a fact.....why do you think TM took this off there website?  Litigation was pending. You can check with another well known golf website who have a strong relationship with TM and ask them....they will tell you the same thing.....While I was at TM we paid for 500 sets of Miura Rac CBs in late 2003 and the rest of the line went to a forging house in China...The reps in the c/s dept have no idea what they are talking about as most have only been there a few years...

Also as stated before the Miura forgings have a slightly diffrent sole width.....

Does it really matter who forged them? they are fantastic irons and always will be....

Edited by gibby, 14 March 2007 - 11:27 AM.

#10 abewley

abewley

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

what your saying ( while it may be true) doesn't represent the numbers that i have seen from "other sites" in regard to the sets made my miura..

1600 being the number I have seen from miura... for those that say that NOT ALL were miura.

so my apologies but until mark king comes out and says wtf  the story is.. I am going to say stay way  from any sets said to have come from miura.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 abewley

abewley

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

Well--if a Miura iron player HO has any input--here it is:

Welded neck or not--
I think the Miura CB-201's are every bit as great feeling as ANY TaylorMade Miura or any other
Tour issue iron I've ever owned or hit..
I've not only had them all--I've had them all several times help.gif
Impressive set of irons IMO

But there is the problem. Which Taylor Mades were done by Miura and which weren't. Many initial runs were done by Miura but when they couldn't produce the volume companies like Taylor Made wanted the iron was outsourced to other producers. The best example was the X-300 FCI. They started with Miura in Japan and wound up in Mexico for the final run and those weren't huge volume sellers despite their cult like following. The RAC CBs and MBs and combo sets nobody could tell where they were done after the initial run of shiny chrome CBs that said coin forged on the hosel---those were from Miura. The rest is anybodys guess and also the reason Taylor Made stopped putting the stickers on the 5 irons---even they didn't know after a while.

hmmm

#12 gibby

gibby

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

Guys....these are very good irons regardless of who forged them.....here is a thought....late last year TM dumped about 500 sets of these irons to a select few internet retailers (we all know who they are) these sets were BRAND NEW in the box....they were selling for $300-400......if they were ALL Miura do you not think they would have fetched a few hundred more dollers???????

#13 drgatz

drgatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1207

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

View Postgibby, on Mar 14 2007, 01:04 PM, said:

Guys....these are very good irons regardless of who forged them.....here is a thought....late last year TM dumped about 500 sets of these irons to a select few internet retailers (we all know who they are) these sets were BRAND NEW in the box....they were selling for $300-400......if they were ALL Miura do you not think they would have fetched a few hundred more dollers???????

I have a tour satin flow set so I don't really care either way.  However, the website was up for >6 months.  I don't see why they would specifically state the forging house as Miura if it wasn't based on fact.  They haven't implicated Miura in their forging before or since publicly.

Why are they only 300-400?  They are harder to play than most blades.  I can't imagine the market is too big for them.  I've hit the retail CBs and the CBs in my flow set and I can't tell the difference.

#14 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

View Postgibby, on Mar 14 2007, 09:21 AM, said:

Only the first 500 sets were Miura forged.....and about 100 of those sets went to the tour van....the other 400 went to Japan......If you got one of the very first sets out of Japan then I would say the odds are good that they are Miura....if you got these in late 2004 or after I would bet that they are retail made in China.......there is a huge misconception that the 2004 Rac CBs were Miura, but the fact is they were NOT!!!

You forgot to throw in the confusion about what was on the hosel (coin forged or cb) and finish (satin or shiny chrome).

Edited by sandy, 14 March 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#15 threejack

threejack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. If anyone else has info on these great irons, please chime in.

#16 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

The only for sure Miuras that were retail were the satin CBs that came out of Japan. There were only 1000 of those made (per literature).

Everything else aside from those is a crap shoot.

The pics seem to be of the said satin CBs.

BTW I have noticed through all my years of TM equipment the font on the serials of Japan releases and US releases are different. I have no idea why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors