Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

What chance do I have to make the Champions Tour

119 replies to this topic

#91 Reif

Reif

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87715
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostPuttingDoctor, on 10 February 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

There's nothing like living the dream but don't give up your day job.

Well, that's the rub, isn't it?

To get to that level of golf, one almost certainly would have to give up his day job.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

I say go for it.  Give up your day job, practice night and day and live the dream!  It's your life, make your choice and go for it.

#93 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostPuttingDoctor, on 10 February 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

So here's my 2 cents worth...

Why not take a good long look at your game.  Find your strengths and identify the weaknesses.  Build on both to take your game to the highest level ... NOW!  You'll need a solid +4 or better game to find your way into the true world of competitive golf.  There are plenty of mini-tours open to all who can pay the entry fee.

Now as to the Champions Tour it's been said above.... you have to go through quite a process.  First with no status carrying you into the mix you have to go through first a pre-qualifier to get into the Monday qualifier.  Generally only 2-5 spots in the Monday are going to be open.  You have to qualify in an event to stop having to go to the pre-qualifiers.

In the past the European C-Tour has been easier but the competition and cost of getting out there is steep.

Last you need to ask yourself (and your wife is you've got one of those) just how much you like living out of a suitcase and if you have the financial resources to endure the chase?

There's nothing like living the dream but don't give up your day job.

Again I'd like to ask is the Euro Senior tour like this?

#94 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113847
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I dont think any of the guys from the PGA Tour are going to practice for a true, solid 8 hrs a day in anticipation of the Champions Tour.  I dont think ballstriking or short game cant be as good; a +4 is attainable.  Its the experience of playing on tour, winning, pressure, and knowing the venues and greens, that makes the difference.  Familiarity with your opponents helps as well.

#95 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Stats from the Champions Tour-2012      -median 38th ranking

Driving-276 yards

GIR-     %68

Scrambling % 57.7

scoring-  71.5

#96 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

View Postrussc, on 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Driving-276 yards

GIR-     %68

Scrambling % 57.7

scoring-  71.5

In champions tour tournament conditions
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#97 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,564 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes

An interesting stat showing primarily the effect  of equipment  and to a lesser extent , faster course conditions.

Mike Reid ,known as  a short driver averaged 247 yards in 1986 ,one of his better years.He was 32 at the time
In 2012 at the age of 58 ,he averaged 266 yards.I have no idea how to adjust for declining  physical capabilities  between 32 and 58 ,but in almost all instances the difference is pretty significant,so the increase of almost 19 yards off of the tee is even more impressive .

#98 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postrussc, on 11 February 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yes

An interesting stat showing primarily the effect  of equipment  and to a lesser extent , faster course conditions.

Mike Reid ,known as  a short driver averaged 247 yards in 1986 ,one of his better years.He was 32 at the time
In 2012 at the age of 58 ,he averaged 266 yards.I have no idea how to adjust for declining  physical capabilities  between 32 and 58 ,but in almost all instances the difference is pretty significant,so the increase of almost 19 yards off of the tee is even more impressive .

2012 - 266 yards
1986 - 247 yards
= 19 yards
ROCKETBALLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ   = (17 yards)

Net Increase = 2 yards.

:)

Edited by ram01002, 11 February 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#99 DZClark

DZClark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46044
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

At the risk of taking this OP's original thought a different direction.....

It is said that the OP will have to compete with all the current "headline" golfers in 10 years. I wonder if that is the case. In 10 years will PMickelson have the drive and the desire to tee it up? I mean, he will have more money than he can ever spend and maybe just maybe, will want to retire to a much different life destiny. Tiger? Same thing. Not that I don't think these guys will tee it up for the occasional event, but I think that the majority of the Champion tour guys now got into golf pre-Tiger, which means pre-big money. They are not as set financially as the guys my age (40, ten years and ticking for me).

My guess is in 10 years you will not be worried about the Tiger & Phil's of the world, but the other HUNGRY current PGA/Web.com/Mini tour guys who have not made as much money but who are working VERY hard at just having a job.

Still just as hard to make, just different playing partners.

#100 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 721

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostDZClark, on 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

It is said that the OP will have to compete with all the current "headline" golfers in 10 years. I wonder if that is the case. In 10 years will PMickelson have the drive and the desire to tee it up? I mean, he will have more money than he can ever spend and maybe just maybe, will want to retire to a much different life destiny. Tiger? Same thing. Not that I don't think these guys will tee it up for the occasional event, but I think that the majority of the Champion tour guys now got into golf pre-Tiger, which means pre-big money. They are not as set financially as the guys my age (40, ten years and ticking for me).

My guess is in 10 years you will not be worried about the Tiger & Phil's of the world, but the other HUNGRY current PGA/Web.com/Mini tour guys who have not made as much money but who are working VERY hard at just having a job.

If in ten years, a whole lot of the big name players are not playing, there will be no champions tour. That is one thing you can take to the bank.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#101 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• 2,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Stats from the Champions Tour-2012   -median 38th ranking

Driving-276 yards

GIR- %68

Scrambling % 57.7

scoring-  71.5

Russ, the missing element in those numbers is that he got there... had either status or qualified.

Getting in is the real challenge.

Sean25rp, the Euro Champions Tour is less of a challenge to enter but still going to require lots of effort on pre-qualifiers until status is earned.

#102 fairways4life

fairways4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I agree. It's hard for me to picture Tiger playing the Champions Tour. I think it's more likely that when he reaches the point where he obviously can't contend anymore he'll just say forget it and that will be that. Maybe he comes out for the Senior US Open and Senior PGA and maybe another small handful of bigger Champions Tour events but I'd say it's highly unlikely that he -- or Phil -- become regulars.

I think the Champions Tour in 10 years will be made up mostly of the career journeymen, guys who won 2 or 3 tournaments on the PGA Tour over the course of 20 years. (Not that that changes the OP's chances of making it though).

#103 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostPuttingDoctor, on 11 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Driving-276 yards

GIR-     %68

Scrambling % 57.7

scoring-  71.5

Russ, the missing element in those numbers is that he got there... had either status or qualified.

Getting in is the real challenge.

Sean25rp, the Euro Champions Tour is less of a challenge to enter but still going to require lots of effort on pre-qualifiers until status is earned.

Thanks putting doc.

#104 DZClark

DZClark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46044
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

View Postfairways4life, on 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

I agree. It's hard for me to picture Tiger playing the Champions Tour. I think it's more likely that when he reaches the point where he obviously can't contend anymore he'll just say f*** it and that will be that. Maybe he comes out for the Senior US Open and Senior PGA and maybe another small handful of bigger Champions Tour events but I'd say it's highly unlikely that he -- or Phil -- become regulars.

I think the Champions Tour in 10 years will be made up mostly of the career journeymen, guys who won 2 or 3 tournaments on the PGA Tour over the course of 20 years. (Not that that changes the OP's chances of making it though).

Agreed, and not just will he have to compete with the guys from the current PGA tour, he will also have to compete with me! I spend 8 hours practicing yesterd......, no wait, last wee......, no that's not right either, last year (maybe). But what I love about golf, I can never sit around and dream of throwing a touchdown in the SuperBowl, but dang it I can dream about practicing enough to have a putt for a US Open championship.

OP, practice on, at worst you become better and enjoy the game a little more.

#105 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I agree. It's hard for me to picture Tiger playing the Champions Tour. I think it's more likely that when he reaches the point where he obviously can't contend anymore he'll just say f*** it and that will be that. Maybe he comes out for the Senior US Open and Senior PGA and maybe another small handful of bigger Champions Tour events but I'd say it's highly unlikely that he -- or Phil -- become regulars.

and boy, do those journeymen suck!  OP, go for it, quit your job and reach for the stars!

#106 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,564 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostTML, on 11 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

and boy, do those journeymen suck!  OP, go for it, quit your job and reach for the stars!
To tell the truth if i had multiple ten's of millions of dollars and had won some majors  ,playing on the senior tour would be a major comedown.

#107 e fudd

e fudd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102911
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Get better today. The chips will fall.

#108 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52445
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

AG Blade, sorry to tell you this but you have very little chance or zero chance of doing that. I can save you many years of wasting your time.

View PostA.G.Blade, on 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

I'm 40 years old and a 3 hdcp, I know it sounds silly, but with 10 years of dedication, could I make it on the Champions Tours?  Just a silly retirement plan!!

#109 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think you should focus on qualifying for a state am first, then finishing top ten in a state am, then qualifying for a US mid am, then seeing if you can contend in the mid am.

And if you can get to the point that you are one of the top mid am's in the country maybe you'll have a shot at qualifying for the champions tour.

But even for those guys it's a pretty big maybe.

#110 e fudd

e fudd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102911
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postkeiko, on 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

AG Blade, sorry to tell you this but you have very little chance or zero chance of doing that. I can save you many years of wasting your time.

View PostA.G.Blade, on 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

I'm 40 years old and a 3 hdcp, I know it sounds silly, but with 10 years of dedication, could I make it on the Champions Tours?  Just a silly retirement plan!!
Tape Keiko's contribution to the side of your golf bag and go practice. He/She is one less golfer you have to worry about surpassing. NOBODY knows what you're capable of except you. Don't look for reassurance--just put your head down and do it. It's the journey that's important...enjoy it.

Edited by e fudd, 11 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#111 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

View Postrussc, on 11 February 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostTML, on 11 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

To tell the truth if i had multiple ten's of millions of dollars and had won some majors  ,playing on the senior tour would be a major comedown.
Maybe that's you.

But when you have spent your life competing against the best on the PGA or Euro tour, how much effort would it take to fly in on your private jet, play 3 rds of free competitive golf, get treated like royalty and party most of the time?  When you enter say 10-15 tourneys a year, I'd never get depressed.  Especially when the alternative option is playing a casual round with 3 hacks, or playing in the couples tournament at your home club.

Edited by TML, 11 February 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#112 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113847
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 11 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

I think you should focus on qualifying for a state am first, then finishing top ten in a state am, then qualifying for a US mid am, then seeing if you can contend in the mid am.

And if you can get to the point that you are one of the top mid am's in the country maybe you'll have a shot at qualifying for the champions tour.

But even for those guys it's a pretty big maybe.
Thanks Thrillhouse.  I've qualified twice for my state am in 2 attempts, but have yet to make the cut.  Thats my goal is to play the final day.  I like your idea/progression.  Makes sense to me!

#113 twixster888

twixster888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27304
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Postwobgon, on 09 February 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

View Postisaacbm, on 09 February 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Your best chance of making it on the champions tour is to become a champion on the regular tour.  Your best chance of doing that is to qualify for that tour before you're 50.  After 50, as a regular joe with no PGA tour experience, you have less than a 1 in a million chance even if you are shooting 9 out of 10 rounds in the 60's on your home course.

The Champions tour is not selling " who is the best golfer over 50".
They are selling " who are the most recognizable golfers from the PGA Tour that fans still want to watch"
Or another way to put it would be, the champions tour is not buying,they are selling. No matter how good you are, the C tour does not need you,nor do they want you.

champions tour always holds qualifiers so the no names has a chance to get in.  you don't think its good publicity when a long shot comes in and does well at a high level?

#114 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• 17,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

The champions tour players are insanely good...and most are insanely famous and legendary players.

Would be scary looking over and seeing tom watson and bernhard langer warming up next to me.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#115 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostTML, on 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I say go for it.  Give up your day job, practice night and day and live the dream!  It's your life, make your choice and go for it.

Sounds like a recipe for that show "Pipe Dream" where the guy lived in a pipe and tried to make it on the senior tour.

#116 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 497

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

View Posttwixster888, on 03 June 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

champions tour always holds qualifiers so the no names has a chance to get in.  you don't think its good publicity when a long shot comes in and does well at a high level?

You haven't seen the ratings for most Champions Tour events, have you? I'd be surprised if there IS a Champions Tour in 10-15 years.

OP I'd say if you enjoy playing competitive golf then work on it as smartly as you can and keep enjoying it.  What is the worst that could happen, you don't play professonal golf? If you're a +4 you're probably going to have a lot of fun playing tournaments at any level.

Good night, I'm surprised no one has told you to put a .38 to the roof of your mouth because in the end you're going to be dead anyway.

Edit: But ehhh, on the whole "retirement plan" thing, you may want to look for 8-12 backup options. :-)

Edited by ctmason_98, 03 June 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#117 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 938

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

About 6-7 years ago we had a local guy give it a try. He'd won the State Am & Open multiple times. Great player.  Thought he'd get some expert advice so he rented David Leadbetter for two days and asked his opinion.  This player is a pretty straight shooter and he told us that Leadbetter told him he might qualify for a few tournaments but that he'd never be successful out there.  So....he has a few golf connections and he wrangles to play with some Senior Tour guys down in Naples.  (I should mention this guy is pretty rich and has a house down there).

Short version is that he played money games for three straight days and got stomped. Once by Jay Haas.  Said they were all nice to him and complimentary of his game.  Even bought him dinner and drinks with his money.  

He's mid 50s now and still a + something handicap.
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#118 jmvargas

jmvargas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

i didn't read all the pages but just to answer the OP's question...

if you have the time and resources i say go for it!!
Giga HS781 11.5* driver
Xcg5 15* 3W/Giga HS781 15* 3W/18*5W
Giga HS781  21*7W/ 23* 9W/ 25* 11W
Adams V4 3H-7H,forged irons 6-LW,
Comodo Italy staff bag
Heavy Putter Mid-Weight K4 putter

#119 Allshownogo

Allshownogo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253796
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Sure it is pretty hard but there is not a linear relationship in terms of time and handicap. Just because a tour player was a 1 handicap at age 15 it does not mean they shoot 20 under ever round 15 years later. Often they become scratch golfers at age 14-15 and go to the tour at age 19-20. So anyone who is almost scratch now can easily put work in and shoot low numbers in a couple years and shoot under par consistently. Some golfers get worse over time. So It relaly has nothing to do with a linear relationship. Look at jerry kelly

#120 PeteyPablo

PeteyPablo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247261
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Nothing wrong with dreaming.

Focus on becoming one of the best amateurs in your State first.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors