Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

What chance do I have to make the Champions Tour

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 A.G.Blade

A.G.Blade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113847
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I'm 40 years old and a 3 hdcp, I know it sounds silly, but with 10 years of dedication, could I make it on the Champions Tours?  Just a silly retirement plan!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Go for it brother!

It's too late for me.

Good luck

#3 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Have a look at this:

http://www.golfwrx.c..._champions tour

#4 JustTheTips

JustTheTips

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139036
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Slim to none. Think of all the 50 year old PGA pros that will be trying to do the same thing and then figure out why you can beat them in 10 years but not now. And then realize no one wants you on that tour. It is mainly for champions not never have beens.

Still if you have the time and enjoy golf, might as well go for it. Just don't expect sucess.

View PostA.G.Blade, on 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

I'm 40 years old and a 3 hdcp, I know it sounds silly, but with 10 years of dedication, could I make it on the Champions Tours?  Just a silly retirement plan!!

#5 firstbatch

firstbatch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53057
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

No matter what make it fun and over the next 10 years play as much tournament golf as you can possibly squeeze into your life.  Winning tournaments at any level is just plain fun.

#6 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137979
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Everyone's 100% correct about it being close to impossible but it has been done by a few.  There are also a handful of guys that make it playing regional senior tours (the tours come and go but they are a little less competitive to the regular mini tours) usually their retirement is handled and they donor as a hobby..  I'm 40 and a 2.7, lets keep in touch through here and see who makes it, my goal is to get competitive locally this year.

#7 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Blade:

If you want to give it a try by all means do it, but don't quit your job or mortgage the house.

It's hard to accept but a lot of success, in golf or anything else, comes down to aptitude.  I know a lot of really great golfers and almost to a man they were quite a bit better than you by the time they had played golf a couple of years.  Why?  Because they were blessed with an aptitude for the game.  That plus hard work makes them good enough to play golf for a living.

Ask yourself, how long did it take me to get to a three?  Considered that might be about as far as your aptitude will take you, no matter how hard you work.

Steve

#8 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

3 hdcp :)

I think you are a Champion already !

#9 fairways4life

fairways4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

The guys on the Champions Tour right now were some of the best golfers in the world when they were 40. They weren't 3 handicaps and probably hadn't been 3 handicaps since before puberty.

The 40-somethings now -- your competition for the Champions Tour -- are some of the best players in the world. Phil, Stricker, Els, Furyk, etc. They haven't been 3 handicaps since they were in diapers.

It would be like running a marathon but giving the other runners a 20-mile head start.

Impossible? Heck no. But improbable? Highly.

#10 ozarkshooter

ozarkshooter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58267

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a local gentleman (early 50's) that was trying to make it on the Champions Tour.  In his prime, he had played the mini tours heavily and even played in several PGA events over the years.  He had recently been trying to get his game back and try to get in some Champion Tour events - had even gotten his card in one recent year.  Even with his PGA experience, and level of play, he found it extremely difficult to get into the events, even with his card.  His biggest hurdle was the fact that the Champions Tour gave preferential treatment to past PGA winners - hence the name: "Champions Tour". I got the feeling it was something similar to those individuals that get their PGA/LPGA card, but are so low on the priority list that you will rarely get a chance to play.

Makes it extremely difficult for an "average joe" to come from nowhere and make it.

So, go for it - you will only become a better golfer as a result.  But, it is a huge hurdle to overcome.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Stretch

Stretch

#golfwrxproblems

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106949
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think that if Bobby Clampett can't get into the fields, you're going to have a lot of ground to make up!

INSIGHT INTO THE CHAMPION’S TOUR EXEMPTION PROCESS

Recently, I’ve had a number of inquiries from friends and fans wondering why I didn’t get into the last Champion’s Tour Event, The Outback Championship in Tampa, Fl.  The truth is that I got down to 1st alternate on Tuesday afternoon when Tom Watson withdrew (Leonard Thompson took his place).  But none of the 78 players in the field withdrew before tee time on Friday, thus I didn’t get to play.
So how is the field established?  Let’s suffice it to say that it is the most complicated system known to man.  Not a single player even understands it fully.  Only Suzie Barber at the PGA Tour headquarters has a handle on it.  Many of the tournaments, such as Tampa, are invitationals and have their own set of qualifications, which complicates the matter even more.
But for simplicity sake, let me start with the basics.  The normal field size is 78 players.  The field is comprised of the top 30 players who commit to the tournament who are in the top 70 on the All time PGA Tour Money List.  The next set of 30 players comes from those who commit who are in the top 50 on the previous year’s money list.   (That where I qualify based on being 45th on last year’s money list.  There is no compensation that I didn’t start the year until May when I turned 50).   The alternate list includes the players next in line out of the two above categories.
That leaves 18 players who qualify as follows:
a.  All Hall of Famers who want to play
b  All winners of a PGA Champion’s Tour Event in the previous 12 months
c.  5 from the Qualifying Tournament held last fall.  This category later reshuffles in July to include all non-exempt players based on their current year’s money earned.
d.  All Special Medical exemptions (those who were exempt but were injured)  David Eager, Mark McNulty, etc
e.  Top 4 players in the 50-51 year old category with multiple victories on the PGA Tour.  (I don’t fit in here because I only have one victory)
f.  1 spot give to the highest performing player in the previous tournament who is not exempt yet finished in the top 10.
f.  Hopefully 5 sponsor’s exemptions but this can be reduced if the above number gets to be more than 18.
g.  Hopefully 4 Monday qualifying spots but this too can be reduced if the above number get to be more than 18.
So what does all this mean?  With three more tournaments cancelling in 2011 (Cap Cana, Jeld Wyn, China), the Champion’s Tour is down to the lowest number of events in history (economy related).  Thus, most eligible players are playing all or nearly all events.  The tour, which used to boast 39 Champion’s Tour events, now is down to 21 regular season events and 4 special events.  Though the tour is strong and new tournaments will come back, the reality is that there has never been a more difficult time than now to be eligible to play the Champion’s Tour.
We are soon approaching the meat of the season, and I should be getting into more events.  Thanks for your interest and support!
Bobby

#12 jtkgolf

jtkgolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220059
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I love it...life is nothing without dreams and working towards them. Never fear failure!

#13 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you consistently win your state open and can qualify for the Walker Cup team ,you have a chance,albeit a small one

Edited by russc, 07 February 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#14 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Go for it pards, worst that'll happen is you get a lot better!

That being said, I have thought for a while it is the hardest tour in the world to make

#15 ricar1610

ricar1610

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46467
  • Handicap:1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I am a 1.7 HC. I played decently the other day at TPC Scottsdale in tourney conditions. I shot 82.

I also play in most of the AZ amateur events. I have never qualified for the AZ Amateur (our US OPEN), I have never made the cut in the AZ Stroke Play, I have made the cut once in the AZ Publinks, USGA Publinks and AZ mid-AM...my best 2 day tournament score is 150 (76/74)...

My point is that I consider myself to be a good golfer, but tour pros of any age are in another galaxy by themselves. I have broken par a few times in fun rounds and shot in the 60's exactly 3 times. I have never shot par in a big tournament. I am a 1.7 HC because I play tough courses from the tips and I can score pretty well. For instance to be a 1 HC at TPC I needed to shoot 76. So a scratch golfer could very well never break par if they are playing difficult courses. Pros are driving home with 76's - sometimes in last place.

I think dreams are great - I hope you get there. I just think - with golf - it is just exponentially harder than it looks. They truly make it look easy.

913D3 9.5* Kai'li 65
913F 17* Kai'li 75
913Hd 23* KBS Hybrid
Titleist 690.CB 5-PW DGS300
Vokey SM4 53*/58* KBS R
Studio Select Newport 2

#16 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

The Little Hitter's Brother

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
GolfWRX Likes : 280

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

No, none, not ever, you do not have a snow balls chance in hell...  Good luck, and who knows,  someday you will / might make it... :)

p.s.  And my backup plan for retirement...  is to win the Lottery... :tongue:
BB Alpha 9.0 Aldila ATX 55
BB fw/w 3 & 5 Fubuki Z 65
Apex Pro 4-PW UST Recoil 95
Odyssey MXM #1 w/sight dot
Mack Daddy 2 - 52 & 56 S grind

#17 sblack5

sblack5

Long Armed Monster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183180
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I hope you go for it.....takes a lot of sacrifice to improve to that level....I share a home course with snedecker here in Nashville. He and scott stallings did an exhibition shortly after the ryder cup last year.
I was hanging out with a couple of guys from the Vanderbilt golf team and we got to meet and talk with snedecker a bit.   Ive been kicking around the idea of teeing it up at a few mini tour and web.com qualifiers as an amateur just to see where Im at so I asked what it took to play on the pga tour or how to even know if you should try your luck as a pro.....he replied "what do you shoot here most days?"...i said "somewhere between 69 and 72" (course is rated at 75.2).....he said " when you get to where you can shoot around 64 to 66 twice a week here, and then be able to do that on a similar course out of state in a tournament, you'd probably be ok to try your luck in some mini tour stuff and not be completely out of your league".....

Yes....they are that rediculous
hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

#18 Reif

Reif

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87715
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postricar1610, on 07 February 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

I just think - with golf - it is just exponentially harder than it looks. They truly make it look easy.

Truer words.

The pyramid gets really steep at the top.

#19 Reif

Reif

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postsblack5, on 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yes....they are that rediculous

There's a course I play here in San Diego called Salt Creek.

It's not all that difficult (rated 73.4/139).

But the first time Craig Stadler ever played it he shot 64, and he was probably 50 at the time.

#20 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

So everyone always says if you can't shoot 6-8 under or gives a score or if you cannot win your state open regulary (who does that, it's only once a year and most guys that win it move on).  Let's get realistic about where your game needs to be, I see it this way, I can go out and shoot a low score right now, but it ain't pretty.  From what I've seen on most of the guys that are playing mini-tours, competitively at the state and national amateur level and web.com and pga tour players is as follows:
  • Unbelievable ability to hit very near the same shot every hole off the tee and put it in the right part of the fairway
  • Ability to not only hit the green but put it in the correct part of the green and stick short irons and wedges with regularity, my wedge shot may average xx feet from the hole and theirs is x feet closer 8 outta 10 times.
  • 5 foot putts are automatic
  • THey all hit the fairway and they all hit the green (at or close to the tour averages in competition) and it comes down how they putted that day.
  • Exceptional distance and trajectory control with every club, no one shot wonders
  • MOST OF ALL, they play in tournament after tournament until they make it look easy, then a regular round with no pressure looks like they flirted with 59 every time.
  • They have the ability to go low every round b/c they are alway in position to do so
Low handicap non tournament player usually:
  • Have learned to play their nasty hook or slice
  • either hit it really good or putt and chip really good
  • Don't play in tournaments more than 2-5 times a year and get all worked up and blow their tourney's
  • Still have those rounds where penalty strokes and brain death is prominent.
Just some non score based observations

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Reif

Reif

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postedub72, on 07 February 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

• They have the ability to go low every round b/c they are alway in position to do so

I think this captures it.

The routine shots are almost always struck well, and when they aren't, their short games are nails.

#22 forgedforever

forgedforever

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68926
  • Ebay ID:crazy4huskers
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have no doubt that there are many *ahem* experienced golfers on WRX who from time to time can hit the same shots as the pros on the Champions Tour or those getting ready to start playing on the Champions Tour.

The problem is, we (they) can't come close to doing it on a consistent basis.

If the guys playing the Tour haven't heard of you by now, chances are they won't.

#23 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Did anybody actually read the quote from Bobby Clampett? The Champions Tour isn't about finding the best 50 year old golfer, it's about seeing which 50-something PGA players can play best and draw the biggest crowds. Doesn't matter how many state ams you win or how often you score 62s.

#24 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Aside from the skill differences making it a pipe dream to go from a low single to Tour pro, what makes it particularly difficult to make the Champions Tour is that, like JustTheTips said, no one wants you on that tour.

We watch the PGA Tour to see who the best in the world are. But no one cares who the best golfers in the world over 50 are. They want to see Fred Couples bombing drives, Cory Pavin dropping bombs, TAIII looking slick. They make it particularly difficult for journeymen to make it out there by offering very few spots because nobody wants to watch them play.

That said, if you do make it, you are a total badass

Edited by geesecougar2, 07 February 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#25 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm in a small country town in Texas, I'm aiming to be the next Robert Landers, I'm going out to hit flop shots over cows now :)

#26 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Would the European Seniors Tour be a better bet? The face of golf could be very different in 10 years time. I'd encourage the OP to get to a 'plus' handicap first, then see what options are open in 2023. Will be a fun journey for sure!

#27 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.1
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

If you can't beat guys that are 10+ years your senior right now, what makes you think you have a better shot when you're all the same age ?

:)

Edited by RRFireblade, 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#28 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

http://www.powells.c...50&page=excerpt

For those that can't be bothered to click...

Excerpt

Chapter 1
The Dreamer Sees the Real Thing
A fellow drove into the parking lot of our Pete Dye course beside the river. He parked his Mercedes-Benz with California plates in the shade of our live oak trees and walked into the golf shop and asked to see my son Tinsley, the head pro.
This visitor was a good-looking man with an athletic build. His clothes were top quality. His shoes were shined. His face glowed with health. Tinsley invited him into the grill room so they could have a glass of iced tea at a comfortable table while he waited to hear what the man wanted.
"When I was a kid, I was a terrific player," began his story. "Junior championships, state high school champ, played for a university team that did well in the nationals. Got married my senior year. I wanted to try the pro tour, but instead I started in sales for my father-in-law's company and made more money playing golf with clients my first year than any rookie on the pro tour made grinding his heart out.
"I've kept my game in good shape. My handicap is a traveling 4. In the last year, I've had a 68 at the Old Course, a 70 at Pebble Beach, a 70 at Pine Valley, for example, and there was one great day when I shot a 67 at Riviera. For a CEO who has made more money than he knows what to do with, and also has a handsome wife and family, I can really play golf."
Tinsley congratulated him on his success.
"But I'm not satisfied," the fellow said.
"Why not?" Tinsley asked.
"I still want to play on the pro tour."
Tinsley drank his tea and waited.
"This is no pipedream," the fellow said. "I'm talking about the Senior Tour. I'm forty-three years old. I have sold my company for a very large sum. I'm free now to do whatever I want. My plan is to move my family here and buy a house beside your golf course.
"Every morning for the next seven years I will show up on your doorstep, rain or shine. I want daily lessons from you, and I'd like your father to check me every week or so. I'll hit five hundred practice balls a day. I'll play golf every day from the tips on this very tough course. Soon as I reach the age of fifty, I'll turn pro and join the Senior Tour. I'll pay you and your father whatever you ask, if you'll agree to get me ready. What do you say?"
Tinsley didn't need long to think it over.
"Let me tell you about one of our club members," Tinsley said. "Like you, he's forty-three years old, and he's made all the money he'll ever need. He has a handsome wife and family. He practices golf every day, and he plays golf nearly every day. He's getting ready for the Senior Tour in seven more years. At this tough golf course, his handicap is a plus-4. He is your competition. He is the player you are going to have to learn to beat if you are going to go on the Senior Tour. I really don't want to spend seven years of my life trying to help you to do that. Not for any price.
"There's the man I'm talking about — he's sitting over by the window, eating a club sandwich."
Tinsley gestured toward Tom Kite.

#29 edub72

edub72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Had a cart guy ask  a very popular senior tour player (now, was on pga tour at the time) for lessons and instruction on helping him get to the senior tour, he said what do you shoot now. Guy said mid 70's, tour player looked at him and said sure ill take you on one year from today if you'll hit 500 balls every morning, play 18 and then hit another 500 afterwards.  If you so that for a year and your any good ill help you out.  The guy said is that what you did, he said no I did it for 15 years.

#30 IH82BOGEY

IH82BOGEY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49511
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

They are telling you there is a chance:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors