Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

different weight iron head blanks?????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boosted2j

boosted2j

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170776
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am just wondering if there are different head blanks for the same irons. like lets say I play mizuno mp33's for my irons and had them fit to me, im short so had them cut to size, and had to add a lot of lead tape to get them back up to my swing weight (I prefer a heavier club D4). what I am wondering is are there different gram heads like tour models or something? and this is not just for mp33's I mean in general is this something if i search i can find them in a different set of clubs?

I do know all the different ways to add swing weight like lead in the hosel, lead tape etc. that is not the question here and i am just trying to find the answer to the question above, Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 974

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

My understanding is that some manufacturers, for some models, have a couple of different weight heads.  I believe this usually involves a standard weight set and some "light" heads, which allow over length clubs to be built without excessively high swingweight.  For building short irons, standard weight heads would be used and weight added to the head, typically though use of shaft tip weights.  

In the case of Ping, my understanding is all the heads are quite light, then they stock a range of CTP weights to allow adding weight to achieve the desired swingweight.  It's easy to add weight to a head, but very difficult to remove it.

#3 boosted2j

boosted2j

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

ok thank you for that information, I was just wondering if they had any tour models that would be hard to find or something but some heads that just would be like 10-15 G heavier.  What do the tour pro's usually use when they want like a D4-D6 swing weight? do they use shaft weights?

#4 P.Lay

P.Lay

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12822
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Mizuno has A and B weighted heads (Believe B is the lighter heads for over length builds etc).
Titleist 913 D2 9.5 PX 6.5
TM SLDR 14 Mini Driver Speeder 7.3x
TM SLDR 21 Speeder 9.3x
Titleist AP2 X100
T.P. Mills Anvil / Odyssey No 7 / Scotty
Titleist Vokey SM5 48/52/58 X100

#5 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 664

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

OEM's may weight sort their heads in some cases, but making heads with specifically different weights is not happening.  To get specifically  different weights you would have to change the moulds so that there is less (or more material) within the head and thereby changing the shape.  Moulds are very expensive and it's not going to happen (same reason some models don't come in left handed - it's a cost they won't recoup).  Which is why many have gone to a head where they can add weight via a port or badge (Ping) or tip weights.  Wishon mentioned this in an thread here.

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#6 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 974

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postboosted2j, on 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

ok thank you for that information, I was just wondering if they had any tour models that would be hard to find or something but some heads that just would be like 10-15 G heavier.  What do the tour pro's usually use when they want like a D4-D6 swing weight? do they use shaft weights?

I don't know what the pros do.  Most likely they add tip weights but for all I know, they could have access to some hand picked heavy heads too.  Regardless of what the pro's do, tip weights work just fine.  There is no real downside.

#7 boosted2j

boosted2j

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

alright thanks, only reason i was asking is this summer im going to buy my first brand new set, was thinking of going out to one of the facilities like "the oven" or something and getting them perfectly fit for once. and since i am going to do that I just wanted to have as much knowledge about it as a can.

#8 neilc

neilc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postboosted2j, on 07 February 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

alright thanks, only reason i was asking is this summer im going to buy my first brand new set, was thinking of going out to one of the facilities like "the oven" or something and getting them perfectly fit for once. and since i am going to do that I just wanted to have as much knowledge about it as a can.

Some iron heads have a recessed cavity for adding weight.Wishon for sure.There standard iron heads would be 2-3 g lighter than standard with the capacity to add 9 g.some heads have another weight port in the back of the head for additional weights.

Plenty of other Wishon threads around to confirm they are top quality.

With these heads you can make a club a bit shorter ,even with graphite, and still have standard swing weights

#9 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postboosted2j, on 07 February 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

If you want a clubhead like MP33, then Tom Wishon 555M might be a good option, and they are easy to build to a higher SW value, even at lengths under standard. The reason is a extra weight port in the hosel where a special designed weight in tungsten or brass can be added, on top of the traditional tip weight in the shaft.

http://wishongolf.co...ts/555m-forged/

http://wishongolf.co...d-a-clubfitter/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors