Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Did I get a fake Taylormade R1?

Id Appreciate any Info..

55 replies to this topic

#31 Sarbyturbo

Sarbyturbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223719
  • Ebay ID:csarbutts1610
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Interesting, not so long back I had a pro trying to sell me a R11s 3 wood, without a serial number, telling me it was a tour issue club. If he was right, and as a reputable pro seller and authorised dealer, I'd like to think he was, then some heads are produced and released without serial number. He explained it by saying the same as what Scratch says above about the callys. If TaylorMade do serial number every single head they make without exception, there are a heck of a lot of fakes out there, and as for that pro, well if you can't trust an authorised seller......

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Gmoney1996

Gmoney1996

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105234
  • Ebay ID:thegodfather1996

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Sarbyturbo, on 06 February 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Interesting, not so long back I had a pro trying to sell me a R11s 3 wood, without a serial number, telling me it was a tour issue club. If he was right, and as a reputable pro seller and authorised dealer, I'd like to think he was, then some heads are produced and released without serial number. He explained it by saying the same as what Scratch says above about the callys. If TaylorMade do serial number every single head they make without exception, there are a heck of a lot of fakes out there, and as for that pro, well if you can't trust an authorised seller......
Interesting,  I asked the TM customer service rep about the possibility of it being a proto type head or being a tour club. He told me that the tour issued models will have a T before the serial #.  Isn't there someone on here who works for taylormade who would know this stuff.

Edited by Gmoney1996, 06 February 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#33 Gmoney1996

Gmoney1996

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105234
  • Ebay ID:thegodfather1996

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

If thing is legit and off the Tour Van or something like that I will keep it, there has to be a surefire way to figure it out.........

#34 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

#CallaWRX2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Either way your resale value is crap because it will always be questioned and possibly viewed as a fake with no SN.

Edited by OUZO Power, 06 February 2013 - 06:44 PM.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

#35 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Will People's may be able to help. You could try contacting him.

#36 Sarbyturbo

Sarbyturbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223719
  • Ebay ID:csarbutts1610

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, I have got a couple Supertri and a Superdeep Tour issue heads, and all have got the Txxxxxx serial. You would think, that TM and other manufacturers, would like you say, only release heads from the factory, all with serial numbers on them, that can be registered, checked and clarified by one simple phone call. However, sceptics may say its a way of manufacturers promoting only authorised dealer sales, by relying on customers having that bit of doubt over the legitimacy of a club without a serial number, that they buy new from an authorised dealer ensuring they are buying genuine article, rather than taking the chance on a possible fake club sold elsewhere??

#37 vtnerf

vtnerf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217833
GolfWRX Likes : 918

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

When I first saw the pics, and those of another "fake" one posted in these forums, the R on the crown just looks off to me. On the real ones, the R is more double italicized. The fakes appear to just lean a little. Not sure what it is, but they just look off to me. Agree with the stripes too, what everyone has said above, but that R just hits me funny.

With all of this being written, was a magnet test ever done on THIS club????

#38 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Magnet test for sure, then I'd take it into a local shop where they have R1's and just compare it up close, if it's fake you'll probably be able to tell in an instant.

#39 Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124422
  • Ebay ID:mattf2686
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Paint looks off to me... Even the color.

#40 tigerd

tigerd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8957

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

CP Golfer, on 06 February 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

The red/orange paint looks a lot closer to the hosel than every picture of the R1 that I have seen.  Could just be the angle of the picture though.  Here is a photo from Golf.com to compare:

Posted Image

Is the driver head in this pic from golf.com a Version 1 or 2?. Looking at the adaptor ie, std loft etc, it seems to be a version 2, if the OP is a version 1 would that possibly explain the difference in were the lines are on the crown?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 tigerd

tigerd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8957

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

In fact looking again it seems like 2 different driver pics on golf.com. Main one seems to be a version 1. Has lofts on adaptor  Whilst one of face seems to be a V2. Has Lower etc on adaptor

#42 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 785

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

The pre-release/Protos have no serial, neither do any of the fitting cart heads I've seen.

That said I think this one is a fake. Will People's has a thread on here, I think in tour/prerelease detailing the fake vs real r1.

Edited by RookieBlue7, 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#43 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

ok this is probably bad news... the pics you posted look  exactly like the ones at

http://www.sunnygolf...-r1-driver.html

I've never trusted them them to have legitimate clubs... sadly this adds to the likelihood that this is a knock off from China.

Edited by Dpavs, 08 February 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#44 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 713

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Dpavs, on 08 February 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

ok this is probably bad news... the pics you posted look  exactly like the ones at

I've never trusted them them to have legitimate clubs... sadly this adds to the likelihood that this is a knock off from China.

Wait...what?

Unless he bought the club from the company in the URL you posted, the needle wouldn't be moved one way or the other relative to authenicity.

I'm not suggesting that the club is real, I'm simply pointing out that one can't come to a conclusion based on the logic in your post.

#45 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
GolfWRX Likes : 788

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

jj9000, on 08 February 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

Wait...what?

Unless he bought the club from the company in the URL you posted, the needle wouldn't be moved one way or the other relative to authenicity.

I'm not suggesting that the club is real, I'm simply pointing out that one can't come to a conclusion based on the logic in your post.
No, but the coloring is the same.

#46 golfnhack

golfnhack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Can you link the auction?

#47 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

jj9000, on 08 February 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

Wait...what?

I understand but the point is the paint lines and color differences are identical to his and very much unlike the authentic R1 pics you find out on the web.. and the only place you see pics like his are the ones posted at sites that have a bad rep regarding selling knock offs.... ergo the likelihood that his is a knock off is increased.

Edited by Dpavs, 09 February 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#48 jj270

jj270

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172853
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Man its just really hard to tell from pics posted online. Colors in different lighting and lines at different angles on curved surfaces. So and so said there should be serial numbers but this other guy said maybe there are some without. Tough call. Knowing that the club should be titanium it would be great if there was some quick easy way to check  the metal and ensure it wasnt steel. Surely a fake wouldnt have the more expensive of these two metals.

#49 Gel4ti

Gel4ti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226393
  • Ebay ID:blues005

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sorry but i am almost 100% positive it is a fake... I could see a seriel number on the hosel and the paint loos to close to the hosel as well.  Btw Sunnygolf are absolutely 100% FAKE

#50 NickPhillips

NickPhillips

Army Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205173
  • Ebay ID:Infantryrecruiter
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

So today I swung my pga superstore and thought of this post so I took pictures of real R1/R1TP. There ARE differences in the stripes location to the hosel on every one I grab, some are nearly an inch from the hosel as others are darn near directly on it. So I do not see this throwing a red flag to your purchase. However, with no serial on the head is a flag. Both the TP and normal R1's have serial numbers on the head. The TP serial numbers are very light gray while the regular r1 serial numbers are black. The pictures I took are hard to tell but I hope you can still see the differences in graphic location. The TP is on the left, regular on right.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 vtnerf

vtnerf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217833
GolfWRX Likes : 918

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hey Gmoney! Have you put a magnet to it yet????

#52 Dpavs

Dpavs

DPavs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

NickPhillips, on 11 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

So today I swung my pga superstore and thought of this post so I took pictures of real R1/R1TP. There ARE differences in the stripes location to the hosel on every one I grab, some are nearly an inch from the hosel as others are darn near directly on it. So I do not see this throwing a red flag to your purchase. However, with no serial on the head is a flag. Both the TP and normal R1's have serial numbers on the head. The TP serial numbers are very light gray while the regular r1 serial numbers are black. The pictures I took are hard to tell but I hope you can still see the differences in graphic location. The TP is on the left, regular on right.

Well for Pete's sakes... who'd a thunk! Shame on you Taylormade!

#53 BlazeOC

BlazeOC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226727
  • Ebay ID:matthewsauk
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am about to buy an R1 locally. This has me a little nervous. I have a magnet with me as a precaution.
USGA 8.1 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Iron shots
Club I love to Hate: Driver
Most Favorite to Hit: 3 Iron
Goal: Shoot even par by next year

#54 BlazeOC

BlazeOC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226727
  • Ebay ID:matthewsauk
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

BlazeOC, on 10 April 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I am about to buy an R1 locally. This has me a little nervous. I have a magnet with me as a precaution.

So the magnet didn't stick, it looks legit. Paid 280 for it, none TP version. Seemed like a decent deal
USGA 8.1 Handicap
Worse part of my game: Putting
Best part of my game: Iron shots
Club I love to Hate: Driver
Most Favorite to Hit: 3 Iron
Goal: Shoot even par by next year

#55 ronstars

ronstars

#GetNaked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98452
GolfWRX Likes : 372

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...Bueller... Magnet test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R1 V2 Matte Black 10.3* Txxxx AD DI6X
R11 Ti 15* AD DI7S
R11 19.0* Txxxx AD DJ8X
2014 TP MC 4-PW TIX100
Mackdaddy 2 52S,56S,60C
Torched Newport

#56 Alan1878

Alan1878

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •