Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Nashville Golf Trip First of April

52 replies to this topic

#1 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52928
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Starting to plan a spring trip to Nashville, probably the first weekend of April.  I've gone down to Nashville on a couple different trips, and wanted to run the course list by anyone that has played in the area.  I don't want to miss a great course, just because I didn't realize it was there.  We've played these courses before:

The Hermitage (both courses)
Pine Creek
Windtree
Country Hills
Forrest Crossing
Indian Hills
Champions Run
The Legacy
Nashboro

My plans for this trip (very early stages):
Thurs.   The Hermitage both courses
Fri.        Windtree & Pine Creek
Sat.       Indian Hills & Champions Run (Maybe Forrest Crossing instead of Indian Hills)
Sun.      The Legacy

Am I missing a public course in the general price range, up to $75 a round?  Is there a course that condition and overall rating should kick some of the courses I know out of the list?  The Legacy is about the only course that almost has to stay, we like the course, and we are headed North for home on Sun. so it is a good stop, unless there is something a little further north that is worth looking into.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Greystone in Dickson,TN should be on your list.  Another one that is much better than Indian Hills and Forrest Crossing is Old Fort in Murfreesboro,TN. Ph#615-896-2448. That is from memory. Call 5 days in advance for a tee time. It is a great deal and probably the best public course in TN(value and upkeep). If you had some more time, Crossville,TN is the place to go. It has about 5 great courses and is the golf capitol of TN.  I have not played any of these but Fairfield Glade(heatherhurst) and Cumberland Mtn are courses that people have recommended.  I would stay away from Indian Hills as I have heard they lost the greens this past year and the maintenance has been minimal at best.  I hope you have a great time down here!  If you want a great course near the Jack Daniels Distillery, play Tims Ford in Tullahoma,TN. Very nice course.

#3 lightgrip

lightgrip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47384
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

View Postgr8blueheronbird, on 05 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Greystone in Dickson,TN should be on your list.  Another one that is much better than Indian Hills and Forrest Crossing is Old Fort in Murfreesboro,TN. Ph#615-896-2448. That is from memory. Call 5 days in advance for a tee time. It is a great deal and probably the best public course in TN(value and upkeep). If you had some more time, Crossville,TN is the place to go. It has about 5 great courses and is the golf capitol of TN.  I have not played any of these but Fairfield Glade(heatherhurst) and Cumberland Mtn are courses that people have recommended.  I would stay away from Indian Hills as I have heard they lost the greens this past year and the maintenance has been minimal at best.  I hope you have a great time down here!  If you want a great course near the Jack Daniels Distillery, play Tims Ford in Tullahoma,TN. Very nice course.

Agree with this assessment. Definitely Old Fort instead of Indian Hills. Everything else mentioned I agree with also.

#4 MarkCPA

MarkCPA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63560
  • Ebay ID:mark-cpa
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

, play Tims Ford in Tullahoma,TN. Very nice course.

I'd check on course conditions there before booking a tee time.   I got roasted on a trip up there some years back with fairways that more resembled a little league baseball infield than a golf course.    The state doesn't run that course anymore does it?

Otherwise, agree with everything posted so far.
Callaway X2 Hot 9* driver
Callaway X Hot Pro 15*
Callaway X Hot Pro 18* & 23*
Callaway X Hot Pro irons 5 - PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 50* 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Anser 2 putter 33"

#5 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

You should also consider Foxland and Gaylord Springs.  They are pricier but better than several of the ones on your list.

#6 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Indian Hills, it has been several years since I played it, too bad they haven't kept it up.  Old Fort is now on the short list.  We did try Crossville a couple years ago, actually played Thurs. and Sun. in Nashville then Crossville for Fri. and Sat.  Liked the Nicklaus course, but had frost delays both mornings, which rushed the second round.

I keep reading about the course in Dickson, how far a drive is it from Nashville?  And is there a second course we could play on the way from or to it?  We usually stay near the airport right off of I-24.

I'll check prices on Foxland and Gaylord Springs, unfortunately a couple of the guys that are going are a bit tight.

#7 golfgoob

golfgoob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53041

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Haven't played Foxland but heard its real good. Maybe a drive but Riverwatch in Smithville is a great course. Greystone is nice, a few strange holes but worth playing.

#8 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

You could do Greystone and Montgomery Bell(they are very close together in Dickson,TN) in the same day. I have never played Montgomery Bell but everyone I talked to that played there says its pretty nice. Dickson is about a 45 minute drive from where you will be staying. Another thought is since I-840 is now open all the way to Dickson is play Kings Creek in Spring Hill,TN and then take the 30-45 minute beautiful drive from there to Dickson and play Greystone.  Kings Creek is an Arnold Palmer design course. Both courses will run about $50.00 on the weekends but only about $38.00 on the week day.  Old Fort is the best bargain at $22.00 to walk on the weekday(easily walkable, pretty flat) and $26.00 to walk it on the weekend. Tack on $12.00 per player if you take a golf cart. If your buds are pretty cheap, you would still be happy playing Old Fort twice.  They just built a new Cheddar Rest in Murfreesboro so you could save more $$ on the food bill. It might even be cheaper to stay at a hotel in Murfreesboro(nice Embassy Suites there) because you avoid the Nashville traffic and you have immediate freeway access to 24 and 840. 840 will get you to courses like Pine Creek, Cedar Crest, Henry Horton, Kings Creek,Greystone very quickly without the traffic headaches.  Hope all this helps you out.

#9 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

That is great info, thanks!  It sounds like the Kings Creek/Greystone day would be very nice.  I've played several Arnold Palmer designed courses and have always enjoyed them.  I'll have to work up a new plan, and see what everyone thinks.

#10 golfgoob

golfgoob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53041

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I don't know if its still private or not but there is a Greg Norman course called The Grove. It is between I 24 and I65 on 840. Might be something to look into. On a side note, anyone know the status of the course that was/is being built off 840. I believe its a Jack Nicholas course that is built on Tanya Tuckers old farm and beside the vineyard owned by one of the Brooks and Dunn guys?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 torrejuan

torrejuan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1203
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostMarkCPA, on 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'd check on course conditions there before booking a tee time.   I got roasted on a trip up there some years back with fairways that more resembled a little league baseball infield than a golf course.    The state doesn't run that course anymore does it?

Still run by the state. They have changed the greens since you were last there. It is simply a great course now. Old Fort twice is a great idea. I work part-time at Indian Hills, our greens really won't be good until after we aerify this spring.

#12 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postgolfgoob, on 07 February 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

I don't know if its still private or not but there is a Greg Norman course called The Grove. It is between I 24 and I65 on 840. Might be something to look into. On a side note, anyone know the status of the course that was/is being built off 840. I believe its a Jack Nicholas course that is built on Tanya Tuckers old farm and beside the vineyard owned by one of the Brooks and Dunn guys?
The Grove is private.  The course you are referring to, Mystic Ridge, is still not ready.  It went through a foreclosure and hopefully, someone will purchase it and get it going.  It would be a great location for a course for me as its only about 10-15 minutes away.

#13 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

Short and to the left

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46443
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Forget Nashboro, bad condition and in an increasingly degrading area (Antioch).

Another course that is not too bad, is Pebble Brook in Joelton, north of Nashville between I24 and I65.  It has a couple Meh holes, but the rest are pretty good.  It is an easy drive and not too far from the Gaylord Springs at Opryland course.

Greystone is a good choice, as are the two Hermitage courses, and the Foxland Harbor course in Gallatin is supposed to be very good (I haven't played it yet).  I like Old Fort, Pine Creek, Windtree, Henry Horton, and Indian Hills, but none of them are "destination courses."

#14 dlamb83

dlamb83

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123346
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

View Postchockrl, on 06 February 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

That is great info, thanks!  It sounds like the Kings Creek/Greystone day would be very nice.  I've played several Arnold Palmer designed courses and have always enjoyed them.  I'll have to work up a new plan, and see what everyone thinks.

I'll second Kings Creek. I play there all the time when I go down to the in-laws.  Very nice course. That course is strong running for when I move there in June to be my home course. There,or the Nashville Golf and Athletic Club.
sldr 10.5 with miyazaki white 56s
sldr 3 hl-miyazaki white
Tp irons cb and mb comb 5-pw
Vokey tvd 52,tvd k 56,tvd 60
pro v1

#15 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Probably will try this, as long as tee time availability works out.
Thur.
   Kings Creek & Greystone
Fri.
   Hermitage Courses
Sat.
   Old Fort & Windtree
Sun.
   Legacy

There has been some rumbling about maybe only playing 5 rounds instead of 7 so I don't know what that will do to which courses get cut.  I'm also keeping an eye on the weather, and hoping for a warm spring so the courses will be in good shape.  One year we went, there was a late hard frost and a lot of the warm season grass was still pretty much brown.

#16 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206233
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you happen to have an extra day and want to squeeze in an extra round, I'd be happy to have a fellow Rebel join me at Five Oaks (private course) in Lebanon.  It's only about 10-15 min from Windtree that you mentioned.   Hotty Toddy!

Edited by TNReb, 10 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#17 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

Short and to the left

• 1,876 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostTNReb, on 10 February 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

If you happen to have an extra day and want to squeeze in an extra round, I'd be happy to have a fellow Rebel join me at Five Oaks (private course) in Lebanon.  It's only about 10-15 min from Windtree that you mentioned.   Hotty Toddy!

You should take TNReb up on his offer.  This is my home course, too... if I ever get back to the States.

It is a great course and fun to play.  It can play mild to wild depending on the tees you choose and where the pins are cut.  Lots of elevation changes on the front side (you will enjoy #6, a great, tight par 5) and great finishing holes on each side.

Five Oaks and Windtree (public) are only 20-25 minutes apart, and are actually owned by the same fellow(s).  He also owns Pine Creek in Mt. Juliet and Cedar Crest in Smyrna, both are fun and public.

Edited by lebanontngolfer, 11 February 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#18 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postlebanontngolfer, on 11 February 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

(you will enjoy #6, a great, tight par 5) and great finishing holes on each side.

I hate #6!!  :)  I think it's the worst hole on the course.

#19 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

Short and to the left

• 1,876 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostTNReb, on 11 February 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

View Postlebanontngolfer, on 11 February 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

(you will enjoy #6, a great, tight par 5) and great finishing holes on each side.

I hate #6!!  :)  I think it's the worst hole on the course.

Ha ha!  Play it as a 3 shot hole and you walk away with a good par.  Go for it in 2, and you are walking with the devil !!!  Everybody wants to hit driver, but the smart play is to just hit the fairway.

TNReb, you may not know it, but that is not the original green configuration.  The front of the green used to follow the slope of the hill, but so many people complained, they had to rebuild it and flatten it out.  If you look at the green you will see a ridge line that shows where they blended in the new front.

One time I hit my second in and caught the cart path to the right of the green.  My ball ended up on top of the rock ridge that rims the back of the green.  I scaled the rocks, flopped a wedge onto the green and lipped my birdie putt for a crazy par.  Love that hole!

#20 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postlebanontngolfer, on 11 February 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Ha ha!  Play it as a 3 shot hole and you walk away with a good par.  Go for it in 2, and you are walking with the devil !!!  Everybody wants to hit driver, but the smart play is to just hit the fairway.

TNReb, you may not know it, but that is not the original green configuration.  The front of the green used to follow the slope of the hill, but so many people complained, they had to rebuild it and flatten it out.  If you look at the green you will see a ridge line that shows where they blended in the new front.

One time I hit my second in and caught the cart path to the right of the green.  My ball ended up on top of the rock ridge that rims the back of the green.  I scaled the rocks, flopped a wedge onto the green and lipped my birdie putt for a crazy par.  Love that hole!

I didn't know that.  I just joined in September.  I agree with you - I play it as a 3 shot hole.  I've found that hitting a 3 wood or hybrid off the tee then just hitting a mid/long iron to the lay-up area works out ok.  Much better than taking the risk of pulling/pushing a driver.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I'll keep the offer in mind, have to get everyone in agreement on where and when we are going to be down there.  Also keeping an eye on the weather, hoping for a great early spring.

#22 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186300
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'd check on course conditions there before booking a tee time.   I got roasted on a trip up there some years back with fairways that more resembled a little league baseball infield than a golf course. The state doesn't run that course anymore does it?

It's still run by the state. It's always been in great condition when I've been especially since they change the greens over to bermuda. I played a lot there last year and probably will again this year. It would get more looks if it wasn't so far out in the middle of nowhere.
Callaway X Hot 10.5* driver
Callaway X Hot 15* 3 wood
Callaway X Hot 19* 3 & 22* 4 hybrid
Callaway Diablo Forged 5-PW AW SW irons
Odyssey ProType 2-Ball 34" putter
Callaway X Forged 60* wedge

#23 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

View Postgr8blueheronbird, on 08 February 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

View Postgolfgoob, on 07 February 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

The Grove is private.  The course you are referring to, Mystic Ridge, is still not ready.  It went through a foreclosure and hopefully, someone will purchase it and get it going.  It would be a great location for a course for me as its only about 10-15 minutes away.

Drove around Mystic Ridge again yesterday. Looks like some work has been done since I last went by there a month or 2 ago. I hope they are able to finish it. Looks like it will be a great place to play. I used to call every few months and ask about when they were gonna be open and would get "In a few months" as the answer everytime. Did this few a couple of years. This past summer when I last called the number no longer worked.

#24 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Posttorrejuan, on 07 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I'd check on course conditions there before booking a tee time.   I got roasted on a trip up there some years back with fairways that more resembled a little league baseball infield than a golf course. The state doesn't run that course anymore does it?

Still run by the state. They have changed the greens since you were last there. It is simply a great course now. Old Fort twice is a great idea. I work part-time at Indian Hills, our greens really won't be good until after we aerify this spring.

Old Fort is a great course but getting an early morning tee time is next to impossible. I think you gotta know someone to get those. At least I've never had any luck.

Indian Hills greens are coming back nicely. I do wonder though what another hot dry summer will do to them. We did play over there some this summer and rates were low because of the greens. I remember being over there one afternoon and we were one of only a couple of groups on the entire course. None of us are pros so the greens didn't hurt us much. I wonder if they would ever consider making the switch to bermuda like other courses in this area.

#25 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I worked at a course in Northern MS that had bent greens, and were in the process of converting over to bermuda.  Bermuda comes with a whole different set of problems, but the one I thought was the biggest problem was frost, and frost blankets.  It seems the practice is also to paint them green when they are dormant.

I hope Indian Hills recovers, I really enjoyed it several years ago and want to make it a regular stop on our annual trip.

#26 nuthin but a hacker

nuthin but a hacker

Certified Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

The course I live on has bermuda greens now after fighting bent grass problems the last few years. They have the tarps for each green to cover but it rarely gets cold enough around here to use them. They haven't been covered yet this year.

#27 smashdn

smashdn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55877

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I highly doubt The Legacy will be out of dormancy the first week of April.  We play a league there that doesn't get started until April and it is usually mid May before it gets good and green.

I played it Friday and the condition is still very good while dormant.  There were a few soggy places in fairways but overall the lies were very good and for the most part very tight.

The greens were very fast even for Legacy standards.  The wind has been blowing here pretty good lately so they were just a little dry on top and quick.  Firm and quick.

#28 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  We have played anywhere between the last weekend in March to the las weekend in April.  I'm hoping for a warm, mild spring so things will have a little head start.  I know the time we came the last of March most of the greens where nice, but the surrounds were dormant and very very tight.

#29 chockrl

chockrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Can't tell if the weather is helping or hurting us this year.  This week has me worried, Nashville has a low of 28 one day.  We'll be leaving 2-weeks from Wed. and extended forecast is a little on the cool side.

#30 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

You may be shocked to learn this, but the weather forecast is often incorrect.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors