Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway fitting session... driver, fairway, irons...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostHole~Out~83, on 11 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

So the fitter wasnt concerned about the low spin #'s with the irons?  Im just curious because I know you were saying that you were getting a nice low ball flight and when you couple a low ball flight with spin #'s around 4000 when an average 6i is typically around 6000 I would be hoping I had some very large greens to hit into.

With all due respect, you have no idea how high I hit the ball in the first place. Your idea and my idea of what a lower trajectory looks like might well be miles apart. For the record (according to my Trackman stats) my current 6 iron Max Height is 37 yards, and my Landing Angle is 54 degrees (which is actually more than most people get with a 9 iron). With the XHP/PXi, this is reduced to 33 yards and 52 degrees, which is still more than enough to hold the green.

Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Hole~Out~83

Hole~Out~83

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226919
  • Ebay ID:Brandon0304
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 11 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostHole~Out~83, on 11 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

So the fitter wasnt concerned about the low spin #'s with the irons?  Im just curious because I know you were saying that you were getting a nice low ball flight and when you couple a low ball flight with spin #'s around 4000 when an average 6i is typically around 6000 I would be hoping I had some very large greens to hit into.

With all due respect, you have no idea how high I hit the ball in the first place. Your idea and my idea of what a lower trajectory looks like might well be miles apart. For the record (according to my Trackman stats) my current 6 iron Max Height is 37 yards, and my Landing Angle is 54 degrees (which is actually more than most people get with a 9 iron). With the XHP/PXi, this is reduced to 33 yards and 52 degrees, which is still more than enough to hold the green.

With all due respect when posting #'s like that you certainly have to expect the question to be asked. For comaprative purposes you spin a 6i about the same or below what the average touring pro spins a 5w.

#63 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Of course, another issue that could be worth remembering, is that Mark is from the UK, where our Greens are probably softer than most in the US, so the issue of needing a little more spin to hold the greens is probably not so much of an issue. That combined with the steeper landing angle of the ball, would probably still work just fine in the UK.

#64 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postjay65, on 11 February 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Of course, another issue that could be worth remembering, is that Mark is from the UK, where our Greens are probably softer than most in the US, so the issue of needing a little more spin to hold the greens is probably not so much of an issue. That combined with the steeper landing angle of the ball, would probably still work just fine in the UK.

Agree with that.

#65 hayzooos

hayzooos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51734
  • Handicap:5-7
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 06 February 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

View PostPingDrv00, on 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 05 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostPingDrv00, on 05 February 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I hate to hear that on the PXi's.  I was really looking at them as the shaft for my next set.  I wish they would work in the XHot's.

Yeah I know. It just seems ridiculous that all of their irons aren't either all parallel or all tapered. There's no reason for it... the fitter struggled to come up with an explanation too.

I have just seen on the US Callaway online store that PXi are available in the X Hot Tour irons... but I guess that's either a mistake or they use a crowbar to make them fit.

I called Callaway directly this afternoon, and was told PXi was available even got a quote on a set.

I just called Callaway UK CS and was told that the PXi would fit in the X Hot Pro... however I do have this nagging suspicion that the CS department may be simply looking at the custom options (which might be wrong) on the site, and the fitter I spoke to is correct. Anyway, I have changed by order to PXi 6.5 and will wait to see what arrives...

My good lord do you put a move on the ball! Those numbers are quite impressive to say the least. Anyway, I know how you feel about the PXi shafts. I'm not 100% sold on them yet, but I think I'll be happy with them in the X Hot Pros once I get a little more play time with them. Glad some other people are being blown away by the 2013 Callaway lineup. Hope you get exactly what you ordered!

G25 9.5* Ahina 70
XHP 15* Fuji Speeder VC 8.1
Diablo Edge Tour 18* AXE Fwy
Apex 3 iron 18* C-Taper
WITB Link
XHP 4-PW C-Taper
MD2 52/58C; Odyssey Blk TD #1W

#66 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 11 February 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostPingDrv00, on 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 09 February 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes, but my previous irons were straight off the rack, and the fitter said that there was no way I should be using 6.0 in PX or PXi, as they are way too soft for me... nothing to do with the PXi being "softer to flex".

Did they hit you with any upcharge for the PXi's?

No, they didn't charge me for the upgrade, although I have noticed that the online Callaway shop is charging a rather staggering $35 per club upcharge for them. I would recommend that if you do get them you should speak to your local pro.

My X-Hots are on the way.  I was able as well to get the PXis with no upgrade cost.  I am really looking forward to this combo.
Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: AP2 712 3-PW Dynamic Gold SL
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9

#67 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

3 wood, irons and putter have been delivered this afternoon... will post pics later.

Still waiting on driver (due to shaft sourcing issues) and hybrid (not sure why)
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#68 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I just played the first round today with the Pros, and all I can say is money.  The feel, ball flight and control were great.  The balls just seemed to bore through the wind.  I was really impressed.

Edited by PingDrv00, 27 February 2013 - 10:02 PM.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: AP2 712 3-PW Dynamic Gold SL
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors