Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway fitting session... driver, fairway, irons...

67 replies to this topic

#31 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes I normally hit a draw, usually too much of a draw, so to be able to control it by increasing weight in the toe is great for me.

I can't compare it to previous Callaway drivers, as I've not used a Callaway driver on a regular basis since the GBB due to them spinning too much. This one is probably their best ever offering for me, and probably the best driver I have ever hit... assuming the Trackman is accurate! :russian_roulette:

Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 jcosjrgolf

jcosjrgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1042
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

View Postmjwidell, on 05 February 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Wow, impressive numbers! Amazing to see how much better the AD DI fits you than any other driver shaft.
+1

#33 homergolf

homergolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46000
  • Handicap:14.4
  • Ebay ID:hbob74
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Congrats on the new clubs.  I'm very glad to hear the Callys worked so well for you guys.  As soon as my college tuition phase relents, I will be looking for some Callaways.
Taylormade R1 driver
Callaway Big Bertha 15*, 18* fw
Ping G25 23* hybrid
Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Forged, 5-A irons
Titleist SM5 56*, 60* wedges
Ping Shea H, 33" putter

#34 jcosjrgolf

jcosjrgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1042
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Concerning iron tip size, I had the same questions, received conflicting information from several sources and here is the latest
X Hot:  Parallel
X Hot Pro: Taper
X Forged:  Taper

Maybe someone who knows with certainty can provide feedback.

#35 littled1212

littled1212

Nuts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51945
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Are the flex's the same with the pxi compared to the px non flighted?

#36 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 05 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostPingDrv00, on 05 February 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I hate to hear that on the PXi's.  I was really looking at them as the shaft for my next set.  I wish they would work in the XHot's.

Yeah I know. It just seems ridiculous that all of their irons aren't either all parallel or all tapered. There's no reason for it... the fitter struggled to come up with an explanation too.

I have just seen on the US Callaway online store that PXi are available in the X Hot Tour irons... but I guess that's either a mistake or they use a crowbar to make them fit.

I called Callaway directly this afternoon, and was told PXi was available even got a quote on a set.
Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

#37 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostPingDrv00, on 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I hate to hear that on the PXi's.  I was really looking at them as the shaft for my next set.  I wish they would work in the XHot's.

Yeah I know. It just seems ridiculous that all of their irons aren't either all parallel or all tapered. There's no reason for it... the fitter struggled to come up with an explanation too.

I have just seen on the US Callaway online store that PXi are available in the X Hot Tour irons... but I guess that's either a mistake or they use a crowbar to make them fit.

I called Callaway directly this afternoon, and was told PXi was available even got a quote on a set.

I just called Callaway UK CS and was told that the PXi would fit in the X Hot Pro... however I do have this nagging suspicion that the CS department may be simply looking at the custom options (which might be wrong) on the site, and the fitter I spoke to is correct. Anyway, I have changed by order to PXi 6.5 and will wait to see what arrives...
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#38 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 06 February 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

View PostPingDrv00, on 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I just called Callaway UK CS and was told that the PXi would fit in the X Hot Pro... however I do have this nagging suspicion that the CS department may be simply looking at the custom options (which might be wrong) on the site, and the fitter I spoke to is correct. Anyway, I have changed by order to PXi 6.5 and will wait to see what arrives...

That's great! Hope it all works out. Always nice to get what you want. So is the Surrey performance centre new then? Didn't see it listed on their site yet.

#39 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'm not sure if the Performance Centre is new or not. It is on the ground floor of their HQ in Chessington, and I think they have been based there for quite some time.

I just got my pro to call Callaway to triple-check the PXi/X Hot Pro situation, and they told him that they would fit too. It appears that my fitter got his clubs muddled yesterday, as apparently they won't fit in the standard X Hot irons, as they are .370 parallel tip, whereas the X Hot Pro and the X Forged are both .355 taper tip.

I hope Callaway have this right, or I will be really pi$$ed.
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#40 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

I hope it works out as well.  I was surprised that you did not get along with any of the KBS shafts it seemed.  What sort of tempo do you have?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have a medium/fast tempo... not Nick Price fast, but pretty quick nevertheless.

With regard to the KBS shafts that I tried, I simply didn't feel comfortable with them. I didn't like the weight or feel of either. Perhaps I am too used to playing PX, but to me the KBS Tour is just a DG with a different label, and I have always disliked how DG performs in my hands.

I thought the C-Taper would be right up my street, given the marketing speak about 5% lower launch, 5% lower spin etc.... but the spin numbers were TOO low, and it's also possibly the worst feeling steel shaft I have ever tried. I get the feeling that most people go for the C-Taper more for the fact that it looks cool, rather than benefitting their game. There are very few players out there who would suit the C-Taper IMO.
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#42 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Great review and write up Mark, enjoyed reading it.

I am very interested in the XHP irons and in particular with your comments about the feel. I play forged CB irons, mostly Mizuno and Hogans and love the feel. You play 07 Xforged and I know they are a great feeling forged club and I see you hit the new 13 Xforged. The fact the you gushed over the feel of the XHP irons has me more than a little curious  about this set. Were you getting the same nice feel with all the different shafts or just the PX. I am assuming PX is your shaft of choice seeing as you already play them . How was the dispersion and consistentcy of flight with these irons.

When you receiveo them and have had a chance to play them please give us a review.

Thanks
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#43 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 06 February 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I'm not sure if the Performance Centre is new or not. It is on the ground floor of their HQ in Chessington, and I think they have been based there for quite some time.

I just got my pro to call Callaway to triple-check the PXi/X Hot Pro situation, and they told him that they would fit too. It appears that my fitter got his clubs muddled yesterday, as apparently they won't fit in the standard X Hot irons, as they are .370 parallel tip, whereas the X Hot Pro and the X Forged are both .355 taper tip.

I hope Callaway have this right, or I will be really pi$$ed.

Ok thanks. Let us know what happens with the shafts.

#44 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostGbyeball, on 06 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I am very interested in the XHP irons and in particular with your comments about the feel. I play forged CB irons, mostly Mizuno and Hogans and love the feel. You play 07 Xforged and I know they are a great feeling forged club and I see you hit the new 13 Xforged. The fact the you gushed over the feel of the XHP irons has me more than a little curious  about this set. Were you getting the same nice feel with all the different shafts or just the PX. I am assuming PX is your shaft of choice seeing as you already play them . How was the dispersion and consistentcy of flight with these irons.

When you receiveo them and have had a chance to play them please give us a review.

Thanks

I don't think anything can beat the feel of a perfectly struck shot with a forged iron, but I honestly think these run it very close. I know that a lot of people equate feel to sound, and these sound great too. I had expected them to be loud and clunky like the Rocketbladez, but I found the sound to be quite the opposite. I should imagine that both the feel hand the sound have the dampener in the cavity to thank, as it does its job extraordinarily well.

The strike felt great with every shaft I tried... my only issues with the KBS were how they felt during the swing.

Dispersion and consistency of flight were both excellent. Average total dispersion was 3 yards.
-Launch angles averaged 16.1 with the PXi, the lowest being 15.7 and the highest 16.8.
-Spin rate averaged 3996 with the PXi, lowest was 3888 and highest 4230.
-Carry distance was REALLY consistent with the PXi, averaging 220.7, with the shortest being 218.5 and the longest being 224.1

The PX Non-flighted, being a heavier shaft, gave 0.4 degree lower launch, 80rpm less spin, and around 3-4 yards less carry... but was just as consistent in all areas.
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#45 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Fantastic answer to my question above. I do apprieciate all the info and numbers you provided. I can see why you purchased them with the consistentcy of flight and distance. Glad you were able to get the PXi shaft as it obviously performed stellar for you. Thanks again for taking the time on the review and:to answer my questions

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#46 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 06 February 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

I have a medium/fast tempo... not Nick Price fast, but pretty quick nevertheless.

With regard to the KBS shafts that I tried, I simply didn't feel comfortable with them. I didn't like the weight or feel of either. Perhaps I am too used to playing PX, but to me the KBS Tour is just a DG with a different label, and I have always disliked how DG performs in my hands.

I thought the C-Taper would be right up my street, given the marketing speak about 5% lower launch, 5% lower spin etc.... but the spin numbers were TOO low, and it's also possibly the worst feeling steel shaft I have ever tried. I get the feeling that most people go for the C-Taper more for the fact that it looks cool, rather than benefitting their game. There are very few players out there who would suit the C-Taper IMO.

I appreciate the honest response, with your beastly numbers on swingspeed it was just surprising that you did not like the C-Taper.  I am not sure what is though about the PXi's, but they just seem to work.   I am excited to hear how the clubs perform once you have them in hand.

#47 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 05 February 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I am in the market for some new clubs, and was kindly set up to go and see Callaway's new range today.

A bit of background first.... 33 years old, 0.2 handicap, usual driver swing speed around 120-125mph. My bad shot is usually a high block. I used a Callaway Hex Black Tour ball for all of the shots.

My current driver is a Ping i20 9.5 with a GD AD DI-6x shaft, my fairway is a Ping G20 16.5 with a GD AD DI-7x, and my irons are Callaway X Forged '09 with PX Flighted 6.0.

Below is an average of my 10 best shots...

Driver

Ping i20 9.5 with a GD AD DI-6x shaft.
Average based on 10 shots
- Club Speed MPH: 122.7
- Ball Speed MPH: 183.4
- Smash Factor: 1.49
- Launch Angle: 13.7
- Back Spin: 2282
- Carry Distance: 296.2
- Total Distance: 314.6

I wasn't too displeased with these figures, as this was the first club I hit and was a bit cold. I hit he i20 well, and think of it as one of the best heads out there.

Callaway X Hot Pro 9.5 with a Project X Velocity 6.5 (stock) / AD DI-6x / Motore Speeder 6.2 Tour Spec-x / Matrix Black Tie 7M3x / Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65x / Diamana Kai'li 60x
- Club Speed MPH: 126.3 / 127.1 / 125.6 / 123.1 / 125.5 / 126.0
- Ball Speed MPH: 183.4 / 192.2 / 185.4 / 180.5 / 185.1 / 189.9
- Smash Factor: 1.45 / 1.51 / 1.48 / 1.47 / 1.47 / 1.51
- Launch Angle: 15.9 / 14.8 / 14.1 / 13.8 / 15.7 / 14.4
- Back Spin: 2835 / 2024 / 2518 / 2318 / 3014 / 2608
- Carry Distance: 299.4 / 309.8 / 304.1 / 298.6 / 284.5 / 306.2
- Total Distance: 308.9 / 325.6 / 320.3 / 318.1 / 299.2 / 321.8

At this point I was salivating at the X Hot Pro/AD DI-6x combo..but I was equally underwhelmed by the Kiyoshi Purple. The X Hot Pro is a great looking driver, sounds great and feels really hot off the face. I was sold... until I tried the Razr Fit Xtreme...

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5 with Aldila Trinity x, Matrix Black Tie 7M3x, AD DI-6x,  Motore Speeder 6.2 Tour Spec-x, Diamana Kai'li 60x
- Club Speed MPH: 125.1 / 123.8 / 128.9 / 127.5 / 127.1
- Ball Speed MPH: 188.9 / 185.4 / 196.7 / 191.0 / 190.6
- Smash Factor: 1.51 / 1.50 / 1.53 / 1.50 / 1.50
- Launch Angle: 15.9 / 14.7 / 15.1 / 14.9 / 14.5
- Back Spin: 2408 / 2299 / 1956 / 2064 / 2108
- Carry Distance: 301.9 / 299.8 / 316.8 / 308.2 / 306.5
- Total Distance: 317.4 / 316.5 / 338.8 / 325.1 / 320.2

Holy &%*% the Xtreme with any shaft is a rocket launcher, but with the AD DI it takes it to a whole new level. I have NEVER seen spin figures that low on one of my drivers, and haven't seen ball speeds like that since before the COR was restricted back in 2007 . I kept hitting it harder and harder, and the spin didn't increase by more than 100rpm. Needless to say, I now have a Razr Fit Xtreme on order.

Fairways (off the deck)...

Ping G20 16.5 with AD DI-7x
- Club Speed MPH: 116.7
- Ball Speed MPH: 174.4
- Smash Factor: 1.49
- Launch Angle: 15.8
- Back Spin: 3396
- Carry Distance: 274.6
- Total Distance: 283.2

I knew that my 4 wood spun a bit too much, but I didn't realise that it would be quite as bad as the trackman indicated.

I hit the X Hot and X Hot pro fairways, but I'm not going to lie... I didn't like them. I didn't like the colour, the feel, but most importantly they were WAY too light, sprayed the ball everywhere and spun far too much for me. However, I did try the Razr Fit Xtreme 3 wood...

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme 3 wood with Trinity, 7M3, AD DI-7x, Diamana Kai'li
- Club Speed MPH: 116.7 / 113.1 / 118.4 / 118.7
- Ball Speed MPH: 174.4 / 170.9 / 178.4 / 181.0
- Smash Factor: 1.49 / 1.51 / 1.51 / 1.52
- Launch Angle: 14.8 / 14.4 / 15.2 / 15.7
- Back Spin: 3496 / 3220 / 3151 / 2980
- Carry Distance: 282.6 / 281.0 / 285.7 / 288.3
- Total Distance: 293.4 / 293.8 / 296.3 / 300.2

The Xtreme & Kai'li combo is mindblowing. It's the best feeling fairway wood I have hit, and has SUCH a hot face. I had it set closed to increase the loft up to 16 degrees. Again... it's ordered!

Finally, we got to the irons (6 iron)...

Current irons - Callaway X Forged '09 with PX Flighted 6.0
- Club Speed MPH: 98.8
- Ball Speed MPH: 142.8
- Smash Factor: 1.45
- Launch Angle: 17.9
- Back Spin: 4789
- Carry Distance: 201.1
- Total Distance: 212.4

I really like my irons, although they do occasionally get caught up in the wind. Originally I only wanted to try the new X Forged...

Callaway X Forged 2013 with PXi, PX non-flighted, PX95, KBS Tour, KBS C-Taper
- Club Speed MPH: 100.1 / 98.9 / 99.2 / 98.1 / 97.5
- Ball Speed MPH: 145.5 / 143.5 / 144.9 / 142.8 / 141.0
- Smash Factor: 1.45 / 1.45 / 1.46 / 1.46 / 1.45
- Launch Angle: 18.0 / 17.5 / 17.8 / 17.6 / 16.9
- Back Spin: 4206 / 4064 / 4360 / 4589 / 3937
- Carry Distance: 206.0 / 206.1 / 202.7 / 199.7 / 194.4
- Total Distance: 217.5 / 215.2 / 212.0 / 207.7 / 204.5

Overall I was very impressed with the new X Forged. They go a bit further and spin less than my existing irons, although this is probably more down to the grooves. I really like the PXi shafts, but was unimpressed by the KBS offerings.

Finally I tried the X Hot Pro irons...

X Hot Pro with PXi, PX Non-flighted, PX95
- Club Speed MPH: 101.1 / 100.3 / 100.9
- Ball Speed MPH: 149.9 / 148.8 / 149.2
- Smash Factor: 1.48 / 1.48 / 1.48
- Launch Angle: 16.1 / 15.7 / 16.4
- Back Spin: 3956 / 3894 / 4028
- Carry Distance: 220.7 / 217.4 / 214.0
- Total Distance: 231.3 / 228.4 / 222.8

The X Hot Pro are RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. I am totally in love with the look, the feel, and the performance. They are 20+ yards longer than my X Forged, spin less and launch lower. I don't know how Callaway have managed it, but they have created probably the best set of irons ever. Normally I wouldn't even think about using a cast iron, but these are too good to ignore.

I would have gone for them with the dreamy feeling and looking PXi shaft, but unfortunately it's not available in the X Hot Tour due to the tip type. Instead I went with the non-flighted PX.

All in all, Callaway have struck gold this year IMO.

Sorry for the long post...

Brilliant comprehensive review Mark! I think we spoke Yesterday briefly on Ebay about your Ping 4 wood! Small world! Are you sure you don't want to sell me that 4 wood? Lol.

Really enjoyed reading about your experiences at Cally!

#48 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi Jay, yes we did indeed speak yesterday!

I will be more than happy to sell you my 4 wood if you end up being top bidder... ;-)
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#49 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

That was one awesome review.  Thanks for sharing.  That Tour AD DI is the real deal and can see why it sells for such a premium and people still buy them.  I've had a few and they are one hell of a shaft.
Taylormade R11S 9* F6M2 x
Taylormade SLDR 460 TP 14* TS 6.3 X
Taylormade RBZ Stg 2 Tour 18.5, Peanut24
Taylormade TP MC 5-PW Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Preferred 50, 54, 58
Taylormade Rossa Maranello 34

#50 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 09 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I will be more than happy to sell you my 4 wood if you end up being top bidder... ;-)

Lol. Ok Mark, no worries. Lets hope that you get the price you want from the auction then, rather than what I was going to offer. Haha.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 watermagnet329

watermagnet329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103333
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Wow! Data! Actual real world numbers and thoughts. 99% of what I read is anecdotal looked so good, sounds incredible, will get back with you once I have real numbers, explodes off face, just felt good, they got it right, etc. like reading Golf Digest Hot List and reading the politically correct advertising dollar driven Tweets . Thank you. While the rest of the world does not know what 125 mph feels like! I think I would hit it with you at about 11000'!  Maybe Himalayas. Love watching guys that can bomb it and still hit the center of the club face. Do you work hard on the speed with stretching and strength? I am almost 50 and worked out really hard with the core and yoga and added about 8 mph but don't sniff 125. I think I would have a body part fall off!  

I once played to a +3 and played competitive golf for many years and the swing speed has dropped a bit and I have kids, other hobbies but that was 25 years ago! I think I love it more now and now I have young kids winning golf tournaments all over the Rockies and that has been more fun working with them than daddy winning a few bucks in a skins game.

The shaft you fell in love with just seems to work for many. From Tiger to Brittany incredible. Blind a** luck ordered a Razr Fit with the GD Tour Ad DI 6x and it transformed my long game. Now just ordered a Udesign Xtreme with the 7x and cog and am very excited about that. May be  to much shaft for a 112 ss but I think it will be a spin killer. Favorite part of that shaft is it still has incredible feel. My spin last year was taken from about 3600 in an R11 with the stock tour shaft in stiff to 2600 with the Razr Fit and GD X shaft. SS 111 to 115. The shaft made par 5's par 4's! When I hear guys say they added 25+ yards with a new club I always rolled my eyes until I understood the spin, LA, angle of attack etc. switched to a Bridgestone 330 from Pro v1 another 200 rpm's. Began doing a ton of core and yoga stretches and I went from a very average driver of the ball to the guys I have played for years just scratching there heads. My brother is the head golf coach at a top 20 golf program and has the new Trackman and you can see it with these kids how much shaft/head combos are a big deal.

Again thank you for the post and would love to hear more results from more of us.

#52 watermagnet329

watermagnet329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103333
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Wow! Data! Actual real world numbers and thoughts. 99% of what I read is anecdotal looked so good, sounds incredible, will get back with you once I have real numbers, explodes off face, just felt good, they got it right, etc. like reading Golf Digest Hot List and reading the politically correct advertising dollar driven Tweets . Thank you. While the rest of the world does not know what 125 mph feels like! I think I would hit it with you at about 11000'!  Maybe Himalayas. Love watching guys that can bomb it and still hit the center of the club face. Do you work hard on the speed with stretching and strength? I am almost 50 and worked out really hard with the core and yoga and added about 8 mph but don't sniff 125. I think I would have a body part fall off!  

I once played to a +3 and played competitive golf for many years and the swing speed has dropped a bit and I have kids, other hobbies but that was 25 years ago! I think I love it more now and now I have young kids winning golf tournaments all over the Rockies and that has been more fun working with them than daddy winning a few bucks in a skins game.

The shaft you fell in love with just seems to work for many. From Tiger to Brittany incredible. Blind a** luck ordered a Razr Fit with the GD Tour Ad DI 6x and it transformed my long game. Now just ordered a Udesign Xtreme with the 7x and cog and am very excited about that. May be  to much shaft for a 112 ss but I think it will be a spin killer. Favorite part of that shaft is it still has incredible feel. My spin last year was taken from about 3600 in an R11 with the stock tour shaft in stiff to 2600 with the Razr Fit and GD X shaft. SS 111 to 115. The shaft made par 5's par 4's! When I hear guys say they added 25+ yards with a new club I always rolled my eyes until I understood the spin, LA, angle of attack etc. switched to a Bridgestone 330 from Pro v1 another 200 rpm's. Began doing a ton of core and yoga stretches and I went from a very average driver of the ball to the guys I have played for years just scratching there heads. My brother is the head golf coach at a top 20 golf program and has the new Trackman and you can see it with these kids how much shaft/head combos are a big deal.

Again thank you for the post and would love to hear more results from more of us.

#53 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1360428293' post='6394403']

[/quote][quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1360181905' post='6374817']
[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1360154244' post='6371993']

[/quote]

I appreciate the honest response, with your beastly numbers on swingspeed it was just surprising that you did not like the C-Taper.  I am not sure what is though about the PXi's, but they just seem to work.   I am excited to hear how the clubs perform once you have them in hand.
[/quote][quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1360181905' post='6374817']
[quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1360154244' post='6371993']

[/quote]

[/quote][quote name='MarkFromTheUK' timestamp='1360156990' post='6372141']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1360154504' post='6372001']

Thanks
[/quote]

I don't think anything can beat the feel of a perfectly struck shot with a forged iron, but I honestly think these run it very close. I know that a lot of people equate feel to sound, and these sound great too. I had expected them to be loud and clunky like the Rocketbladez, but I found the sound to be quite the opposite. I should imagine that both the feel hand the sound have the dampener in the cavity to thank, as it does its job extraordinarily well.

The strike felt great with every shaft I tried... my only issues with the KBS were how they felt during the swing.

Dispersion and consistency of flight were both excellent. Average total dispersion was 3 yards.
-Launch angles averaged 16.1 with the PXi, the lowest being 15.7 and the highest 16.8.
-Spin rate averaged 3996 with the PXi, lowest was 3888 and highest 4230.
-Carry distance was REALLY consistent with the PXi, averaging 220.7, with the shortest being 218.5 and the longest being 224.1

The PX Non-flighted, being a heavier shaft, gave 0.4 degree lower launch, 80rpm less spin, and around 3-4 yards less carry... but was just as consistent in all areas.
[/quote]

Mark did you feel at all that the PXis felt a little soft versus the flex?  I am still trying to decide between the PXis and standard Project X.

#54 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I only tried the PXi 6.5, and I think they played true to flex.

The thing about them is, that they don't feel like any other PX shaft out there, be it the standard, flighted or 95. If you're coming from a 6.5 PX to a 6.5 PXi, then I can see how someone could think they play soft, but I don't think they actually do... they're just different in character in terms of feel. Although I like the standard PX shafts a lot, I do find them pretty harsh whatever the flex... the PXi addresses this.

Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#55 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 09 February 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I only tried the PXi 6.5, and I think they played true to flex.

The thing about them is, that they don't feel like any other PX shaft out there, be it the standard, flighted or 95. If you're coming from a 6.5 PX to a 6.5 PXi, then I can see how someone could think they play soft, but I don't think they actually do... they're just different in character in terms of feel. Although I like the standard PX shafts a lot, I do find them pretty harsh whatever the flex... the PXi addresses this.

So you actually went up from the Project X flighted at 6.0 to PXi at 6.5?

#56 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yes, but my previous irons were straight off the rack, and the fitter said that there was no way I should be using 6.0 in PX or PXi, as they are way too soft for me... nothing to do with the PXi being "softer to flex".
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#57 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 09 February 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Yes, but my previous irons were straight off the rack, and the fitter said that there was no way I should be using 6.0 in PX or PXi, as they are way too soft for me... nothing to do with the PXi being "softer to flex".

I was surprised to see in your sig that you were playing 6.0's after seeing your driver swing speed. I am sure you will love the improved dispersion with these new shafts!

#58 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Did they hit you with any upcharge for the PXi's?

#59 Hole~Out~83

Hole~Out~83

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226919
  • Ebay ID:Brandon0304
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

So the fitter wasnt concerned about the low spin #'s with the irons?  Im just curious because I know you were saying that you were getting a nice low ball flight and when you couple a low ball flight with spin #'s around 4000 when an average 6i is typically around 6000 I would be hoping I had some very large greens to hit into.

#60 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostPingDrv00, on 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

Did they hit you with any upcharge for the PXi's?

No, they didn't charge me for the upgrade, although I have noticed that the online Callaway shop is charging a rather staggering $35 per club upcharge for them. I would recommend that if you do get them you should speak to your local pro.

Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors