Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

For long do you think PING G25 driver will stay at its current price point?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101289
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Curious because I don't have the money to drop on a new G25 right now. I would love to game it but just can't afford it. So I am wondering how long it will be before we see a more attainable and practical price point like the G20 is right now.

If it isn't going to be for 2 years or so until the G30 comes out then I will might just go and get the G20 driver right now because the price is very tempting. But if you think its going to drop $100 by this time next year I wonder if it might be worth the wait.

Please let me know what you think.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1546

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I would say its highly unlikely to see a price drop by 2/14.
PGA Tour Issue 913D2
S55 Irons
PGA Tour Issue Vokey TVD-K wedges
GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#3 boycer11

boycer11

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80867
  • Ebay ID:mboyce1249
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

It probably wont be until right before the g30 comes out. Maybe look at a used one on the bst?

#4 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thats what I thought. I think I will just go with the G20 because Ping is still offering fittings for it. I just really like the matte black but not for another $150.

#5 johnstitch

johnstitch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150003
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

As long as everyone else's 2013 drivers. All seem to have gone up in price. Far East currencies are strong so more expensive production costs need to be factored in.....
UK discount price is $400, $480 - $500 for R1 and Cally Razr Fit. Which is nothing considering 15 years ago Cally Titanium drivers were something like $700 in 2013 value and still flew off the shelves.

#6 duffer888

duffer888

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22282
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'd say just get fitted for a G20, unless the G25 looks to be that much better for you on the sim.

Ping tends to have 2yr product cycles.  This G-series cycles was 1.5 yrs, but I suspect it was shortened to get an adjustable-G driver out there.
RBZ Stage 2
RBZ Stage 2
i20 hybrid
Apex 4-AW
Ghost Spider Blade
Cally X-Tour wedges

#7 avidshotmaker

avidshotmaker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

As far as I am concerned .5 degree increments tell me Ping is still against adjustablility. They are just playing to adjustable crowd because there are those of us out there that let our equipment turn us into lesser golfers. Believe me there is some convience and validity to the technology but a bad swing is a bad swing and there is no club in the world that is going to fix a duck hook. I mean if you took the $400-$500 you spend on the lastest and greatest adjustable driver and invested in lessons instead of a club every year you would find yourself with better and more consistent results and be able to cream any ball on any tee.

Hey I played the R9 460 for 3 years and I loved the club, and I still play a TMAG Rescue 11 with a ghost tour putter. The clubs perform well, I just think its the adjustability is better served to tweak a decent swing than to try to compensate for a bad one. I think that is what Ping has done now, they gave the bare minimal adjustability to tweak your ball flight rather than reduce a 50 yard slice into 42 yard.

#8 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

In the latter part of 2014 the G25's will come down to clear them out before the next step in that line comes out, whether it is G30 or has some other designation coming out in 2015.  Doesn't mean there won't be new products in the meantime, most likely a new version of the Anser line sometime next year.

Ping stays on a two-year cycle; it is one way that they protect their retailers.  In return, of course, they don't "allow" discounted pricing until Ping lowers the MSRP; they can't tell retailers not to lower the price in advance, but they WILL pull the account and not let an offending retailer carry Ping clubs.

The Anser line is a new line, with the K15's being discontinued.  the K's came out when the Raptures were discontinued.  But always two years, I believe.

#9 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

By the time PING drops the G25 price, glued drivers will not be worth much. If I were in the market for a new driver now it would be adjustable.

#10 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 934

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm sure they'll start showing up on BST after a week or two after people buy them, because it didnt fix their swing

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 04 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Curious because I don't have the money to drop on a new G25 right now. I would love to game it but just can't afford it. So I am wondering how long it will be before we see a more attainable and practical price point like the G20 is right now.

If it isn't going to be for 2 years or so until the G30 comes out then I will might just go and get the G20 driver right now because the price is very tempting. But if you think its going to drop $100 by this time next year I wonder if it might be worth the wait.

Please let me know what you think.

If you can't afford to wait a month or two and save up money, you probably shouldn't be buying any new driver.

#12 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

As far as I am concerned .5 degree increments tell me Ping is still against adjustablility. They are just playing to adjustable crowd because there are those of us out there that let our equipment turn us into lesser golfers. Believe me there is some convience and validity to the technology but a bad swing is a bad swing and there is no club in the world that is going to fix a duck hook. I mean if you took the $400-$500 you spend on the lastest and greatest adjustable driver and invested in lessons instead of a club every year you would find yourself with better and more consistent results and be able to cream any ball on any tee.

Hey I played the R9 460 for 3 years and I loved the club, and I still play a TMAG Rescue 11 with a ghost tour putter. The clubs perform well, I just think its the adjustability is better served to tweak a decent swing than to try to compensate for a bad one. I think that is what Ping has done now, they gave the bare minimal adjustability to tweak your ball flight rather than reduce a 50 yard slice into 42 yard.

With all due respect, I think Ping's relatively small adjustability is consistent with what the company has always done with their fitting systems, rather than playing to the crowd.  Ping isn't trying to fix a bad swing in lieu of lessons.  Ping is trying, through proper fitting, to make sure that a GOOD swing gives the best possible results.  If you do a fitting session with a really good clubfitter, it amazing what adjustments can be made to ballflight with very small adjustments to the equipment.

I went from green to white color code in Ping irons when I went from ISI's to i3's and then i5's, primarily because I'm 6-2 and wanted to stand relatively upright at address.  The difference was a softer draw and more control.  That has nothing to do with the swing work I've done with a teaching pro to try to get rid of being too steep and too shut at the top, which had to do with a faulty take-away.  Two separate questions, two separate issues, two separate answers.

Ping's relatively minimal adjustability in the Anser and G25 lines seems to me to be a reflection of this.  I think their engineers are saying to the consumer "If you need more than .5* either way, you need a different loft entirely to get the best results.  And if your face angle needs more than a .5* adjustment from square, you need swing work to correct your swing path, not more adjustability."

In fact, all of this seems to me to be an example of the advantage of having an equipment company run by engineers rather than marketing guys.  Playing to the adjustability crowd would be the drivers that let you change the face angle or the loft by very large amounts to try to turn the 50 yd slice into a straight ball, rather than figuring out why you are slicing it 50 yds to begin with.

#13 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1546

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postavidshotmaker, on 04 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

The reason for half degree of adjustability has to do with the hosel size.  PING's research found that anything more than .5 degrees of adjustment via the hosel makes the hosel larger (visibly) AND makes the driver less efficient.  By that they mean too much weight placed in that area that could be used somewhere else to improve ball speed and launch conditions.  At the end of the day you should want pure performance from a driver that gives you very efficient numbers and the confidence to hit it straight.  I think there is a very fine line between practical adjustment and confusing the consumer, there is no correlation (IMO of course) with the amount of settings a driver has and its performance.  PING's hosel is perfect for heads that flat out perform, now they give the consumer the option to give a little different look at address and to try multiple shafts via fitting more easily.  PING is an engineering company and they do the research before putting out the product.

This is not to say that any other OEM is doing it wrong because I honestly think they all make good stuff now.

Edited by J.W., 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

PGA Tour Issue 913D2
S55 Irons
PGA Tour Issue Vokey TVD-K wedges
GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#14 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

+1 to bluedot and J.W.  ^^
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#15 PrO_D_BoMbEr

PrO_D_BoMbEr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28867
  • Ebay ID:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

The minor adjustment makes more sense overall.  If you are fit properly, the 0.5* adjustments are all you need to fine tune if it is a little different.  Thus why TM Tour adapters don't exceed 1.5 in all of their past offerings even the R1.

All this talk of the G25 makes me want to try one!

#16 scottvw13

scottvw13

Oven Baked To A Crisp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

If you have trouble achieving enough launch with a driver, the G25 could be game changing for you.  Otherwise, it will be only incrementally better than the G20.

That said, I personally would wait and buy one off the BST in a few weeks.  Prob find one for $250 or less by then...

#17 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postscottvw13, on 04 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

If you have trouble achieving enough launch with a driver, the G25 could be game changing for you.  Otherwise, it will be only incrementally better than the G20.

That said, I personally would wait and buy one off the BST in a few weeks.  Prob find one for $250 or less by then...

With the risk of not knowing if you are buying the real thing or not...

#18 loc

loc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102082
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

"Glued" drives just give more feel than bolt on, in my opinion.

#19 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Since it is not out yet, at least 1 yr from release.
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#20 scottvw13

scottvw13

Oven Baked To A Crisp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View Postbluedot, on 04 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

View Postscottvw13, on 04 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

The BST here is pretty safe.  Plus, you could always check the serial with Ping

With the risk of not knowing if you are buying the real thing or not...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors