Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Morning Drive "new" set, etc.

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Anyone else think the new Morning Drive set is a step backward? I think it looks worse and seems horribly cramped. Also is Ahmad Rashad going to be a permanent fixture? If so, that is the end of me watching it. Just don't like the guy.

Edited by Willie Malay, 04 February 2013 - 10:09 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 560

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I made the observation in another thread it looks like the Grey Goose set, which is definitely not an upgrade.

#3 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Maybe with the screens behind it, they can "transform" it to any look they want, making it multiple sets in one.

#4 MarkCPA

MarkCPA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63560
  • Ebay ID:mark-cpa
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Way too many talking heads now.   It's a step backwards to me, and a rather big one at that.

Nevertheless, I'll still turn it on because even bad golf talk is better than anything else on at 7:00am in the morning.

Edited by MarkCPA, 04 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Ping G25 9.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist 714 AP1 irons
Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50*  54*  58*
Ping Karsten Anser 2 putter 33"

#5 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ahmad Rashad??? What's next Johnny Miller doing football games? No offense to Johnny. Geez, I guess he's under contract to NBC and they have to put him someplace. Getting to the point where I only watch the golf on GC. Much as I love the game it's just tedious to watch. It's hard to sustain all golf all the time.

#6 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Pics please?

#7 kschneid

kschneid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221193
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Very disappointing. The show is getting way too gimmicky. The "game ball", are you kidding me? Just talk about golf, that's why we all watch. Also, Ahmad Rashad is absolutely horrible. I'm hoping the show will get better after time, but for now it's better than nothing I suppose.

#8 TMadigolf

TMadigolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134118
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Atleast they got rid of the stupid mics in front of them like they were on radio, even though they were mic'd up on their shirts. I'm ok with the new set, but agree Rashad is a terrible choice.

#9 taz757

taz757

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130452
  • Ebay ID:taz757
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I just gotta say that I've still got a huge crush on Kelly Tilghman.
TaylorMade R1 Black; 10*/N/stock S
TaylorMade RBZ 3w 15*/stock S
Taylormade RBZ 3h 19*/stock S
TaylorMade 2011 TP MCs/KBS Tour S
Callaway 2012 Forged 52*/56*/60*
TaylorMade Ghost Tour TM-110

#10 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I watched it for awhile this morning. I really wanted to like it.  I made myself believe that I could handle  the whole on air crew, I just couldn't do it.  There are too many and it's distracting.  After the 2nd or  3rd inane Ahmad (Bobby) comment I just couldn't take any more.  To protect what sanity that I have left I pushed the off button.  What are they thinking about putting this guy on?  He's been horrible broadcasting every other sport that he's tried.  His only claims to fame are that he played college football,  changed his name, is Michael Jordan's friend, and married Mrs. Huxstable.  Someone please stop him!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 516

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm convinced Rashad has incriminating evidence against the upper-echelon at NBC. It's the only reasonable explanation for why he's still employed.
Driver: Adams Fast 11 - 9.5
Fairway: Adams Super S - 15
Hybrid: Adams DHY - 21
Irons: Ping G15 - 4 thru PW
Wedges: Cleveland CG - 48, 54, 58
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Manta Long

#12 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1699

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Posttaz757, on 04 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

I just gotta say that I've still got a huge crush on Kelly Tilghman.
Can't say I disagree.  :)

#13 the.landshark

the.landshark

"the.landshark... cleverest species of them all" -SNL

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95923
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm willing to give them a chance, seeing as today was just their 1st with the new look/feel.

That being said, my initial impression is that they've changed too much (too fast)... seems like they're trying a little too hard. I'd imagine that Morning Drive is the jewel of the Golf Channel "crown", and so they want the show to join the "big leagues" of morning talk shows. What set them apart however, aside from the subject matter, was that they didn't follow their (the other shows) formula. Now they have, and only time will tell (both) how MD grows into the new space, and how they utilize the new on air "talent".
SLDR 9.5 Oban Kiyoshi WHT 75.05
910F 13.5 Oban Kiyoshi PRP 85.05
712U 2-3; 712CB 4-6; 712 MB 7-9 DGX100
SM4 48.10 X100; SM4 53.10/59.06 DGS400
SeeMore M2 + SuperStroke Slim3.0
Tour Preferred X; Leica Pinmaster II

#14 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1699

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Posttatertot, on 04 February 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

I'm convinced Rashad has incriminating evidence against the upper-echelon at NBC. It's the only reasonable explanation for why he's still employed.
I think you're right.  He just seems out of place.  I mean, I golf.  Does that mean I can sit in one of the chairs too?  I think I liked the other format better.

#15 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostHackerVance, on 04 February 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

His only claims to fame are that he played college football,  changed his name, is Michael Jordan's friend, and married Mrs. Huxstable.  Someone please stop him!

The dude is a four-time pro bowler and MVP of a Pro Bowl, too.   No problem criticizing him, but at least get the facts right.   He was a damn good NFL football player for 10 years.

#16 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postjwrogers, on 04 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

His only claims to fame are that he played college football,  changed his name, is Michael Jordan's friend, and married Mrs. Huxstable.  Someone please stop him!

The dude is a four-time pro bowler and MVP of a Pro Bowl, too.   No problem criticizing him, but at least get the facts right.   He was a damn good NFL football player for 10 years.
Which of my facts wasn't right?  You can  add more facts if you like, and being a good football player doesn't make you a good television personality, especially regarding golf.  Lawrence Taylor was a damn good NFL football player but I don't care what he thinks of Tiger's swing.

#17 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 610
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

As I've said elsewhere:

This is me: I wake up every day and ask myself "Where can I find a thin-voiced minor-league small-market radio guy to irritate me over and over?" and lo and behold, there's Gary Williams. I ask myself "Where can I turn to for television that promotes magazine writers with virtually NO on air-presence onto a national stage?" and before me appear Damon Hack and Matt Ginella. I once asked myself, "Is it possible that a network could provide me with the expertise of a failed professional golfer who never won on the PGA Tour and whose best finish on the money list is a lofty 103rd place?" and there before me appeared a teary-eyed Charlie Rymer. And finally I asked myself the question "Is it remotely possible that once again I could get a load of the a**-kissingest, least-informed, most mindlessly incompetent hack of a jock-turned-broadcaster?" and then it was announced that NBC and Golf Channel would surgically pry Ahmad Rashad out of Michael Jordan's a** specifically to light His Airness' cigars on the new Morning Drive.

Since the age of 13 I've attended in excess of 100 PGA Tournaments. I attended the Masters for 10 years and even once played Augusta National. I subscribe to four golf magazine and read every golf book there is along with having broken par a few times at my peak as well capturing a city championship or two. I'm a golfer who loves the game AND THIS IS THE THANKS I GET ??

#18 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostBenSeattle, on 04 February 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

As I've said elsewhere:

This is me: I wake up every day and ask myself "Where can I find a thin-voiced minor-league small-market radio guy to irritate me over and over?" and lo and behold, there's Gary Williams. I ask myself "Where can I turn to for television that promotes magazine writers with virtually NO on air-presence onto a national stage?" and before me appear Damon Hack and Matt Ginella. I once asked myself, "Is it possible that a network could provide me with the expertise of a failed professional golfer who never won on the PGA Tour and whose best finish on the money list is a lofty 103rd place?" and there before me appeared a teary-eyed Charlie Rymer. And finally I asked myself the question "Is it remotely possible that once again I could get a load of the a**-kissingest, least-informed, most mindlessly incompetent hack of a jock-turned-broadcaster?" and then it was announced that NBC and Golf Channel would surgically pry Ahmad Rashad out of Michael Jordan's a** specifically to light His Airness' cigars on the new Morning Drive.

Since the age of 13 I've attended in excess of 100 PGA Tournaments. I attended the Masters for 10 years and even once played Augusta National. I subscribe to four golf magazine and read every golf book there is along with having broken par a few times at my peak as well capturing a city championship or two. I'm a golfer who loves the game AND THIS IS THE THANKS I GET ??

You and Rodney Dangerfield....

#19 chri55

chri55

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83714
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

As I've said elsewhere:

Best rant EVER!!!

#20 lightgrip

lightgrip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47384
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

As I've said elsewhere:

Atta boy.  Agree 100%. Just do not see the new version of the show working well at all.  I have a feeling it will be too...artificial.  A shame, really.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Beatupfender

Beatupfender

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146717
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

As I've said elsewhere:

''NEVER got a dinner'' - Red Buttons

#22 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostHackerVance, on 04 February 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Which of my facts wasn't right?  You can  add more facts if you like, and being a good football player doesn't make you a good television personality, especially regarding golf.  Lawrence Taylor was a damn good NFL football player but I don't care what he thinks of Tiger's swing.

He was one of the 11 best receivers in the history of the NFL game when he retired.   He was on the 40th anniversary Vikings team (best players in 40 years).   You said his claim to fame was that he played college football.  That's like me saying you have a Kindergarten education.     It's factually correct but it doesn't convey the truth of the situation.

#23 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postjwrogers, on 04 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

He was one of the 11 best receivers in the history of the NFL game when he retired.   He was on the 40th anniversary Vikings team (best players in 40 years).   You said his claim to fame was that he played college football.  That's like me saying you have a Kindergarten education. It's factually correct but it doesn't convey the truth of the situation.

I think we can all agree that his claim to fame is "NBA Inside Stuff".

#24 JDuffJr.

JDuffJr.

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215077
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Was anyone else disappointed with the new Morning Drive?

Edited by JDuffJr., 04 February 2013 - 10:40 PM.

RBZ Stage 2 Tour 8.5* Fuji. Fuel
3-Deep 14.5* Project X Velocity 6.0
RBZ Stage 2 19*,22* RocketFuel Stiff
Callaway Prototype MB's PW-5
Byron Morgan Dh89
Vokey SM5 52,56,60

#25 NickPhillips

NickPhillips

Army Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205173
  • Ebay ID:Infantryrecruiter
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I felt as though the set had no golf feel. The old set had clubs, practice range thing and whatnot, it felt more homely.. This seems like a boring studio.

#26 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 04 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

View Postjwrogers, on 04 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

He was one of the 11 best receivers in the history of the NFL game when he retired.   He was on the 40th anniversary Vikings team (best players in 40 years).   You said his claim to fame was that he played college football.  That's like me saying you have a Kindergarten education. It's factually correct but it doesn't convey the truth of the situation.

I think we can all agree that his claim to fame is "NBA Inside Stuff".

I thought he peaked as a sideline reporter for football games... back when they had sideline reporters who knew what they were talking about.

Edited by jwrogers, 04 February 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#27 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yep.  The Golf Channel just can't leave good things alone.  They ruined the 19th Hole and I expect the same from the Morning Drive.

#28 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostNickPhillips, on 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

I felt as though the set had no golf feel. The old set had clubs, practice range thing and whatnot, it felt more homely.. This seems like a boring studio.

Boys, for 15 years I did local TV news and sports as an anchor in various medium-market cities and I can tell you that the ONLY people excited about a New Set are the people actually sitting on it.  I'm with an earlier poster who said this sterile, hospital-waiting-room-like monster has no "golf feel" whatsoever... it's simply a corporate creation that now allows "Morning Drone's"  27 personalities to wander around as they fight for air time while they offer the viewer nothing but the usual predictions an opinions.   In other words: nothing but useless chatter.  Oh yeah and "game ball?"   Seriously -- THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

#29 BenSeattle

BenSeattle

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostBeatupfender, on 04 February 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

As I've said elsewhere:

''NEVER got a dinner'' - Red Buttons

I have no clue what this means but it sounds hilarious.

#30 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

They ruined Golf Channel when they got rid of Academy Live with Kessler.  Actually, anything Kessler was involved with was gold.  Except for the Perfect Club, but I digest..

R11 - 10.5* Dromos S
SLDR - 15* Stock Fujikura S
Scrach 18*-46* N.S.PRO S
Scratch 50*, 55*, 60* N.S.PRO S
Edel Putter
Titleist Pro V1X
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors