Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Valid complaint with course/management?

Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sTmGolfer

sTmGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82144
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

I have played a local course twice now since Thanksgiving, both times with similar (poor) experiences.  

Little background on the course:

-Public
-18 holes
-Cost is mid-range.  Not a premier public course but not a goat muni track either.
-One of the few links style courses in the area (not that that matters for the matter of this case, but just figured I'd add that in).

This course gets a good amount of play, especially on weekends.  My main gripe is with tee-time scheduling and starting.

Both times I have played there, there is no starter present on the first tee.  They have a "starter" on staff, but all he does is checks you in where all the carts are lined up, but is completely absent from the first tee.  During my most recent round, they had groups starting on the back 9 (we were one of those groups).  When we came through to make the turn, we had to wait upwards of 30 minutes to tee off on 1 because there was 5 groups lined up waiting, again WITH NO STARTER.  It got so bad on the course that there were 3 groups on the tee box and a group on the green on a par 3.  Needless to say, it took 3+ hours to complete the back (front) nine.  And we saw the cart girl once ... only 17 tee box.  Just another small gripe that added to the problem.

Our experience before that was roughly the same.  Started on the front 9, waiting for 5 groups to tee off with no starter announcing times.  Got to the same par 3 and there were 4 groups on the tee box.  It is hole 5 and we were already 1.5+ hours into our round.  We went in and said we wanted a refund, and the guy in the pro-shop gave us a rain-check voucher.  

After leaving the course, I thought maybe I would send the Director of Golf/Head Pro an email explaining the problem.  I understand it's a public course, but these things seem like problems that can easily be addressed with an effective starter and someone out there making sure groups get off at the correct times and managing groups making the turn.  

Suggestions for handling this?  Let it go, voice the problem?  The course has improved over the last couple of years but little things like this make me never want to return.

Driver: PING G25 10.5, Project X 5.5
4 wood: G25 16.5 degree, Fuji Fuel 70-S
Hybrid: G15 20 degree, UST V2-stiff
Irons: G25 4-UW, Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: PING Tour-W 54, Anser 58.
Putter: PING Zing 2 MgBr

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

polite email wouldn't be out of place

#3 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostHoffTTM, on 04 February 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

polite email wouldn't be out of place
+1   Unless it's clear on the website for contact info, it might not be a bad idea first to call the course office and get an idea who to best to send your email. And to get an actual email address rather than a generic course one. I'm thinking Director of Golf rather than Pro.  Or send it to the Pro and cc the Director.

Edited by myspinonit, 04 February 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Ping G25 10.5* Stock TFC 189D
Ping G25 16.5* Stock TFC 189F
G20 20* 23* 27* Harrison Impulse TR90
Miura Reg PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
Vokey 51/07 55/10 60/07 Steelifiber i80
Versa 7 CS  35" w/SS Mid Slim 2.0

#4 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Definitely worth a discussion with course management.  That sort of experience will definitely begin to cut into their business.  A few small changes could make a big difference to customer satisfaction.

#5 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Were they starting groups on both the front and back 9’s at the same time? I’ve never been a fan of those methods of getting groups out on the course during peak hours. It is difficult to keep the course flowing on busy days with everyone teeing off on the same starting hole at 8min or 12 min intervals but using the same intervals but alternating groups between starting on the front or back and trying to mix them in with groups already on the course can be a nightmare. At some point you are going to hit a road block either at the turn or on a few holes that get backed up for whatever reason. IMO either send everyone out on # 1 or # 10.

I’d say a polite email to the head pro and if you can get the director or someone above the pro’s attention then copy them into the email. I would not bring emotional reactions into such an email but a clear fact based email and brief opinion of your view should be good. I’d mention things you like about the course and why you want to play there and why the type of issues you’ve encountered on recent visits would make you want to reconsider playing there in the future.

#6 sTmGolfer

sTmGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostPweb44, on 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Were they starting groups on both the front and back 9’s at the same time? I’ve never been a fan of those methods of getting groups out on the course during peak hours. It is difficult to keep the course flowing on busy days with everyone teeing off on the same starting hole at 8min or 12 min intervals but using the same intervals but alternating groups between starting on the front or back and trying to mix them in with groups already on the course can be a nightmare. At some point you are going to hit a road block either at the turn or on a few holes that get backed up for whatever reason. IMO either send everyone out on # 1 or # 10.

I’d say a polite email to the head pro and if you can get the director or someone above the pro’s attention then copy them into the email. I would not bring emotional reactions into such an email but a clear fact based email and brief opinion of your view should be good. I’d mention things you like about the course and why you want to play there and why the type of issues you’ve encountered on recent visits would make you want to reconsider playing there in the future.

Yes, they had groups off the front and back for, at the very least, the early tee times.  I'm not sure if it continued or not beyond the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to work up an email this evening to the Director of Golf as his contact information is posted on the website.  I'll be curious as to what the response will be.

#7 Noles

Noles

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostsTmGolfer, on 04 February 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

View PostPweb44, on 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Yes, they had groups off the front and back for, at the very least, the early tee times.  I'm not sure if it continued or not beyond the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to work up an email this evening to the Director of Golf as his contact information is posted on the website.  I'll be curious as to what the response will be.
Let us know what he/she says.

#8 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 614

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

The only time I have known that sending people off both the front and back for 18 is if there's a shotgun start tourney coming in and need to get the people off the course by X time.

Say, tourney at Noon. Start at 7am sending them off on both sides. Those that tee off at or after 8:30am tell them they need a fair to quick pace due to tourney at Noon. At 9ish, no more groups. You'll have double the capacity out there than if they went off 1 alone, and at that, you'll have virtually no overlap on 1 or 10, and everyone should be able to get their round complete.

That's really the only time I've known it to work (unless the tee sheet shows that after 2ish hours the times drop off considerably).

Then you have those that are only playing 9 anyways...

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostImp, on 05 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

The only time I have known that sending people off both the front and back for 18 is if there's a shotgun start tourney coming in and need to get the people off the course by X time.

Say, tourney at Noon. Start at 7am sending them off on both sides. Those that tee off at or after 8:30am tell them they need a fair to quick pace due to tourney at Noon. At 9ish, no more groups. You'll have double the capacity out there than if they went off 1 alone, and at that, you'll have virtually no overlap on 1 or 10, and everyone should be able to get their round complete.

That's really the only time I've known it to work (unless the tee sheet shows that after 2ish hours the times drop off considerably).

Then you have those that are only playing 9 anyways...

--kC

The scheduling is not rocket science.  If there's a shotgun at noon, a shotgun at 7 AM could be scheduled.  Or a finite number of groups starting at 7 AM on 1 and 10, with an order cross-over.  Expect the first groups to play each nine in two hours, and don't book anything on no. 1 or 10 after 9 AM.  Start with the objective of customer sastisfaction and plan accordingly.

#10 sTmGolfer

sTmGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I did hear back from course management.  They apologized for the slow play and offered a discounted rate for our next 4-some and lunch in their grill on the house.  Very nice response and will definitely get my business again.  Apparently it was an attempt to fit more players out early due to the Super Bowl and ended up not working out.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Not a football fan, but a surprise no one figured that to be a possible  reason...good outcome. For them and you.
Ping G25 10.5* Stock TFC 189D
Ping G25 16.5* Stock TFC 189F
G20 20* 23* 27* Harrison Impulse TR90
Miura Reg PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
Vokey 51/07 55/10 60/07 Steelifiber i80
Versa 7 CS  35" w/SS Mid Slim 2.0

#12 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostsTmGolfer, on 05 February 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

I did hear back from course management.  They apologized for the slow play and offered a discounted rate for our next 4-some and lunch in their grill on the house.  Very nice response and will definitely get my business again.  Apparently it was an attempt to fit more players out early due to the Super Bowl and ended up not working out.
I think that is a very good response by the club - they do seem focused on customer satisfaction and I would definitely play there again given their attitude.

#13 russad

russad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218411
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

An excellent response/outcome, must make you glad that you bothered to write to them.  Hopefully they have learned from the experience and you don't have similar problems there again.

#14 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 3,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 614

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostsTmGolfer, on 05 February 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Sounds plausable. I'll allow it! ;) Sounds like a fair and equitable resolution. Good luck!

--kC
"Hey Farva, does this look like spit to you?" - Mac

Edited by Imp, 06 February 2013 - 07:30 AM.

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#15 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

Polite email communicating your concern and frustration.

#16 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Good to hear they stepped up and offered your group something more than a rain check. Hopefully your third time at this course will not be a strike.

#17 Shiram

Shiram

Tour Winner

• 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126739
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I was going to say - voice your opinion with your wallet!

It sounds like the course is taking action to make sure you don't do that though. I would send a letter vs. an email. For whatever reason a well crafted letter delivered by the postman tends to have more impact than an email in my experience.

#18 ennead

ennead

• 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171046
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

A bunch of courses in my area will send people playing only 9 holes off the back for the first 2 hours of operation on weekends.  After that, you have to pay for 18.

#19 Huntster

Huntster

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146777
  • Handicap:11.3
  • Ebay ID:abraxas1971
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

View Postennead, on 07 February 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

A bunch of courses in my area will send people playing only 9 holes off the back for the first 2 hours of operation on weekends.  After that, you have to pay for 18.

A few local courses do this as well although only the first hour. It can nice if you don't have enough time to play 18 and still want to get a little golf in.

Good to hear the course was willing to admit they made a mistake and are trying to make it up to you. All you can really ask for.

#20 sTmGolfer

sTmGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

View Postrussad, on 06 February 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

An excellent response/outcome, must make you glad that you bothered to write to them.  Hopefully they have learned from the experience and you don't have similar problems there again.

Hope so. Like I said, I was pleased with the response so they will definitely get my business again. He wanted to right the situation which is all I could have asked for.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with Suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors