Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf ball for Junior Girl -

41 replies to this topic

#31 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostKadin 25, on 09 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

What about a Noodle Long and Soft granted it's not a tour ball but compression should not be an issue or what about the Srixon SL which is also a lower swing speed ball?

Played the Srixon Soft feel lady today, finally got good weather.  First full 9 she's played this year.  Surprisingly good around the green, she was able to spin it, stop it on chips and held greens fairly well.  Not so much on par 3's off the tee with iron.  is the Srixon SL comparable to the Lady Soft Feel...?  or how does it compare?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

View Postjuniorgolf18, on 09 February 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

View PostKadin 25, on 09 February 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

What about a Noodle Long and Soft granted it's not a tour ball but compression should not be an issue or what about the Srixon SL which is also a lower swing speed ball?

Played the Srixon Soft feel lady today, finally got good weather.  First full 9 she's played this year.  Surprisingly good around the green, she was able to spin it, stop it on chips and held greens fairly well.  Not so much on par 3's off the tee with iron.  is the Srixon SL comparable to the Lady Soft Feel...?  or how does it compare?

The Z-STAR SL is designed specifically for golfers that don't possess tour-level swing speed but demand the precision of a tour-level golf ball. The SL offers superior playability by balancing each aspect of STAR Performance technology (Spin, Trajectory, Acceleration and Responsiveness) to react to slower swing speeds. The result is a tour caliber ball with a high launch angle and exceptional greenside spin for golfers with slower swing speeds. The Z-STAR SL is available in both Pure White and Tour Yellow.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#33 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

That's from the Srixon site.... :)

Editor Product Reviews

#34 dffjunior

dffjunior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179540
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

Give the Taylor Made Burner Tour a whirl if you are looking for more spin.  Might be a little tough to find but worth the effort.  Nike PD Soft is also close.

#35 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

thanks Kadin.  May be a dumb question, but I understand compression for what it is, but is it as simple as x compression needs x swing speed..?  So if swing is 80 you can properly compress an 80 compression ball?  

The Lady ball is 58.  Today I was told it felt like "mush" when hitting it....  

The q star is 71, the z star SL is 80

#36 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

My understanding was compression should be lower than swing speed. 58 is on the lower end so I can understand the "mushy" feeling. Give that sl a try sounds like it might be a winner.

Edited by Kadin 25, 11 February 2013 - 01:26 AM.

Editor Product Reviews

#37 dffjunior

dffjunior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179540
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Kind of.  Compression isn't one for one, and the type of ball you are hitting (core, # layers, layer/core materials, etc) will all affect it.  Atmospheric conditions too, mostly temperature.  Even the kind of club you are using to hit it will make a difference.  There are also different ways to measure compression, and it's not a regulated/standardized parameter.  This is why 5 people can come on here and say "I have x swing speed, same as you, but I hate the ball".

Now that I've told you compression doesn't mean a darn thing, let me tell you what it does mean - it's a good way to get an educated guess as to 5-10 different balls to try.  Using swing speed as a start point it's easy to start using balls that are in the same general compression profile to find the right fitting ball(s).

#38 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

View Postdffjunior, on 11 February 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Kind of.  Compression isn't one for one, and the type of ball you are hitting (core, # layers, layer/core materials, etc) will all affect it.  Atmospheric conditions too, mostly temperature.  Even the kind of club you are using to hit it will make a difference.  There are also different ways to measure compression, and it's not a regulated/standardized parameter.  This is why 5 people can come on here and say "I have x swing speed, same as you, but I hate the ball".

Now that I've told you compression doesn't mean a darn thing, let me tell you what it does mean - it's a good way to get an educated guess as to 5-10 different balls to try.  Using swing speed as a start point it's easy to start using balls that are in the same general compression profile to find the right fitting ball(s).

Thanks.  Makes sense.

#39 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Postjuniorgolf18, on 03 February 2013 - 02:30 AM, said:

My daughter is 11. Advanced player. Her swing speed with driver is 85-90.

She just got fit for a new RBZ Stage 2 driver. Very nice btw. She added about 12-15 yds vs her ping driver immediately. Then the fitter said "let me try something" and went and got a sleeve of the srixon lady soft feel balls. Her ball speed went up and another 10 yds of total distance.

She was set to play pro v1x this year or Bridgestone rxs but now I am torn. We haven't been able to get on course cause of weather since to try them out. I'm worried she will lose feel and spin and short game spin/touch.

Any thoughts on the srixon or other ideas or recommendations?

#40 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

My daughter is a competitive junior and just turned 14.  For the past several years she has been able to tell the  difference in the feel and performance of different golf balls.  She really prefers the Srixon Z Star SL.  Greenside spin and feel off of the putter and irons seems to be her priority.  Her ss is about 95 with the driver.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postdpb5031, on 11 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

My daughter is a competitive junior and just turned 14.  For the past several years she has been able to tell the  difference in the feel and performance of different golf balls.  She really prefers the Srixon Z Star SL.  Greenside spin and feel off of the putter and irons seems to be her priority.  Her ss is about 95 with the driver.

Thanks for your reply, I recognize you from other boards and remember your daughter..  At what age did she go to this ball? What did she play at 80 swing speed....?

#42 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postjuniorgolf18, on 11 February 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

View Postdpb5031, on 11 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Thanks for your reply, I recognize you from other boards and remember your daughter..  At what age did she go to this ball? What did she play at 80 swing speed....?

The ball she used previously was the  Bridgestone RXS, but when the Srixon Z-Star SL came out, she tried it and liked it even better.  In my opinion as an observer of junior girl's golf, most junior girls can really benefit from a tour level ball that spins nicely and will hold the greens.  I see quite a few girls playing cheaper distance balls and watch them struggle to hold greens with approach shots and short-game shots.  My daughter makes her decision about a golf ball mostly from chipping and pitching with it around the practice green to see how it spins and how it feels on those critical short game shots.  She has always been a sufficiently long hitter relative to her peers, so we never really looked for extra yardage out of a golf ball, but the Srixon does seem to go pretty good for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors