Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

"USGA to launch initiative to address slow play"

72 replies to this topic

#1 joeshmo

joeshmo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100882
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Quote from a news source.
"We played nine holes in just over three hours, and three of them are par threes," Woods said of his increasing frustration over the closing stretch. "I started losing my patience a little bit, and that's when I made a few mistakes."
USGA executive director Mike Davis echoed Woods' thoughts.
"Six-hour rounds are just not good for the players, our championships or the game," Davis said.

Doesn't sound like they are in any hurry to solve a problem that's been around
for a long time. An initiative to address. I thought there were already solutions on the books.

Talent is the desire to practice

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Brock Savage

Brock Savage

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179316
GolfWRX Likes : 465

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

So they're going to form an exploratory committee to investigate the possibility of scheduling meetings to draft guidelines for a proposed seminar on addressing the issue?

#3 FatRichard

FatRichard

Don't Sleep on Barry-O

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180894
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostBrock Savage, on 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

So they're going to form an exploratory committee to investigate the possibility of scheduling meetings to draft guidelines for a proposed seminar on addressing the issue?

Haven't they been "investigating" the issue of slow play for years? If they haven't figured it out by now, I am not holding my breath for them to actually start actually penalizing slow play.

#4 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

We as television viewers and spectators need to quit supporting the events. And tell them why.
Then the issue would be addressed.
I know it is a pipe dream but nevertheless would work.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#5 bu11dog

bu11dog

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14240
  • Ebay ID:buiidog
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

How many slow play penalties have been issued during PGA events in the last few years?  

I personally don't recall any, but then again I don't watch all the events.

#6 Josh L.

Josh L.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216403
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

They briefly talked about it on golf central tonight, I wasn't really paying attention though.

#7 mr smith

mr smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218761
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

There is no doubt tjat slow play is tje biggest problem in the game, at club and pro level. The most fristrating thing about slow play is that is a very small minority who are culpible but the entire fields suffers because of them. Slow players should absolutely be penalised, starting with puttimg tjem at the nack of tje field in club comps, and at the pro level they should be fined or have shot penalties imposed. It isnt hard to pinpoint who tje culprits are, just send an official to follow slow groups and within a couple of holes you will know who is slowing up the group. It is frustrating right now as it seems the only guys being penalised for slow play are the ones who play fast, the culprits are being let off scott free. IMO if you are incapable of playing a shot within a reasonable time limit you have no business being on a profeasional tour.

#8 Mschumacher

Mschumacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146903
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

I don't know why its so hard for them to penalize a player like Crane/Na.  Just send a message.

I'm so thankful for my pvr.  Can't watch golf with some of these ridiculous preshot routines

#9 clubgolfer

clubgolfer

Just a ClubGolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199288
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Nothing will happen, no one will be DQd or hit with penalty strokes. They haven't got the balls to upset any players so it will be slow play as usual this year and for many years to come. Its makes the broadcasts so boring that I now turn over to the gardening show to watch grass grow as its quicker and more exciting

#10 airjammer

airjammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

View Postclubgolfer, on 03 February 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Nothing will happen, no one will be DQd or hit with penalty strokes. They haven't got the balls to upset any players so it will be slow play as usual this year and for many years to come. Its makes the broadcasts so boring that I now turn over to the gardening show to watch grass grow as its quicker and more exciting

Yep I alternated between dancing with wolves and phil's shots today. It just takes too long between shots.  4hr 15 min max on rounds. If you can't finish in that much time you should pick another career.  People get fired all the time in manufactoring because they move too slow this is no different.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

They should have been addressing this for the past 5 years and not grooves or anchored putting.
R11 - 10.5* Dromos S
SLDR - 15* Stock Fujikura S
Scrach 18*-46* N.S.PRO S
Scratch 50*, 55*, 60* N.S.PRO S
Edel Putter
Titleist Pro V1X
WITB Link

#12 clubgolfer

clubgolfer

Just a ClubGolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Well said boys, even Tom Watson asked why these blokes wait until its their turn before they go through all the BS with their caddies to pick a club and be ready. But no lets wait until our turn and then start the whole process and add even more time onto the round. Imagine in your club comp if you waited for one of your group to hit before you started to pick your club and great ready, you would get DQd at my home club if you finish more than 12 mins after group in front.

I think this slow play golf could even drive me to watch Idol or X Factor or whatever those crap shows are called.

#13 CHRIS509

CHRIS509

Tour Winner

• 776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14039
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostBrock Savage, on 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

We can schedule for a week after yesterday, unless it's a Tuesday or it's raining then we'll wait for the next lunar alignment so all parties are give the opportunity to present there case.

If all else fails we can just sit on our hands and tell people we are investigating the problem, should take another 10 years. Thanks for your time.

#14 clubgolfer

clubgolfer

Just a ClubGolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Finchem is too worried about his massive salary to cause any problems attacking the slow play debacle on tour at the moment....he needs to grow some balls and fix it NOW

#15 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

For my 2 cents, I feel the USGA spend an awful lot of time and effort on topics that don't need addressing or are a complete waste of time. I wish they would spend more time on connecting golf as a whole at grass roots level to aspiring youngsters. I'm seeing it on their mission statement...
http://www.usga.org/...ission/Mission/
....But they don't seem to making a big noise about it.
But then again, slow play (which is largely an issue of courses, people and etiquette) isn't there either. Maybe they could waste our time and money somewhere else? *cough* groove rules *cough*

#16 clubgolfer

clubgolfer

Just a ClubGolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

I know plenty of blokes who no longer play golf as a result of slow play. It was taking way too long and reducing time to do other things such as family time. We all know what we see the Pros doing is usually then seen at local clubs and then we have the same issues.

Groove rules
Belly putters
Top 150
Captains Picks

Slow Play.....not on the list !

#17 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

View Postminitour, on 03 February 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

They should have been addressing this for the past 5 years and not grooves or anchored putting.

^ This. +1000. I'm not sure what they would do to address slow play, but (IMO) it is by far the most important issue to address.

#18 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Let me speed things along. A player has 30 seconds to hit the ball from the time it is his turn to play. First time he exceeds this, he gets a warning. The second time, he gets a stroke added to his score. Problem solved.

#19 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think I remember someone saying the Japanese Tour is the fastest tour in pro golf. Apparently they give out slow play penalty strokes like hot cakes.

If Roger Goodell was the PGA commissioner, slow play would be finished.

#20 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostDLiver, on 03 February 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Let me speed things along. A player has 30 seconds to hit the ball from the time it is his turn to play. First time he exceeds this, he gets a warning. The second time, he gets a stroke added to his score. Problem solved.

What does the USGA have to do with the slow play issue?

Good start above.........here's my solution at the professional tour level.  First group off at 7:00 AM (and every group there after) is told they have 4 hours and 30 minutes to finish their 18 holes.  If they are late by 1 second the tournament committee reviews the play of the group and determines the why/who for the late finish.  DQ the player or the whole group.  If the tour players don't like it they can take their skills elsewhere and get a REAL job.

Edited by QuickFeet, 03 February 2013 - 08:04 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 memphishorn

memphishorn

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10524
  • Ebay ID:memphishorn
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I think some of the issue comes from the college ranks. I have read that 6 hour rounds are the norm in competition because of all of the on course coaching.
Titleist 910 D2 Kali Stiff
Exotics CB2 15* YS6 Stiff
Bobby Jones H3 21* Hybrid
Titleist AP1 4-GW S300HL
Vokey Wedges 56.11 / 60.04 oil can
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic Gun Blue

#22 csiachos

csiachos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8705
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thank God. There is no excuse except for trouble on a hole or waiting for an official

#23 jjd975

jjd975

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132136
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

If Tiger starts bit&*ing about it they might actually do something.

#24 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

No one to blame but the PGA. I don't think they have ever given a stroke penalty? They put Na on the clock all the time, but what does that prove?

#25 mark m

mark m

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

A better headline: "The PGA TOUR to implement new comprehensive pace of play policy"

Goal is 4:00 rounds. Max of 2:15 per nine holes, and 4:30 for 18 holes.

910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
Ping G5 3W & 5W Fujikura Pro 90X
Srixon I-701 tour 4-PW Rifle 7.0
Vokey 50/08, 56/14, 60/04
Newport 2.5, ProV1x

#26 PaddyK

PaddyK

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121204
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ross Fisher was docked a shot last year for slow play. ide like to see it happen more often. Watching them skulk around looking at putts for ages is mind numbing.

#27 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postclubgolfer, on 03 February 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

Well said boys, even Tom Watson asked why these blokes wait until its their turn before they go through all the BS with their caddies to pick a club and be ready. But no lets wait until our turn and then start the whole process and add even more time onto the round. Imagine in your club comp if you waited for one of your group to hit before you started to pick your club and great ready, you would get DQd at my home club if you finish more than 12 mins after group in front.

I think this slow play golf could even drive me to watch Idol or X Factor or whatever those crap shows are called.
imagine?  this is the norm in the states.

my group plays quick - 3 -3.5 hrs when we are first off.  If we are behind a few times, that goes up by at least an hour.

if we complain to the marshall, he says they are playing to "pace".  I ask him what is "pace" and he says 4.5 hrs.  That's the norm at semi-private/public courses.  About to pull the trigger on an exclusive private club to get out of this insane thinking.

#28 wessnuts

wessnuts

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125954
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

It's unfortunate, but the beer-cart is what causes most of the holdups at my course.  It's unfortunate b/c all 3 of our beer girls are pretty attractive AND I love beer.

I'm not gonna lie, cute beer girls does factor into deciding which courses to play.

#29 wcm115

wcm115

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105175
  • Handicap:+0.9
  • Ebay ID:coreymays
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

The USGA absolutely hates slow play. I played in the US Mid Am last year and that was their big thing. I am normally a fast player and my group ended up on the clock both days before we even made the turn. (I guess that happens when you put a bunch of amateurs on a course with a semi-US Open style setup.)

Make it legal for range finders and you will shave a good bit of time off of everyone's round. Maybe even allow GPS and that would keep guys from studying their yardage books like they are craming for a final exam.

I did notice that most of these serious players spend the majority of their time studying putts from every freaking angle. THere is not much you can do about the putting, but cutting out the time for getting yardages would at least help a little.
Ping g30 Speeder 757x
G25 15* VTS Black 7x
G25 20* 904hb X
2013 X Forged 4-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*/ SM2 54*/ SM2 59*
Bettinardi BB54 CS 35.5
WITB Link

#30 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

At our club, the usual slow days are Wed-Thurs afternoons in "season". Members bring out 3 guests (client/customer entertainment) and fail to manage them. One group can back up either course, and it happens too often. The marshals are afraid to confront the members. There was one instance where a marshal (real nice guy) tried to get one of those groups moving. The 2nd time he approached the member to "ask" him to get the group moving, the member went absolutely ballistic and verbally abused the marshal using many expletives. I'm not sure, but I believe the member was suspended for a period of time and decided to resign...nobody misses him.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors