Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How cold is too cold for you?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 dpark

dpark

5 and counting

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Curious what courses you guys play that are open when the temps are below 32*. If it is below freezing, my course does not open because of fear of damaging the greens.

As long as the course is open, I'll play everytime. It was in the upper 30s today and it was just fine. Modern golf gear is so good at keeping in warmth without bulk the only challenge is keeping your hands warm. I don't like winter gloves (no feel) so when it is in the 30s, I'll pop 2 pocket warmers into both pants pockets and keep my hands in there between shots and it works just fine.

1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1978 Ben Hogan Pennyback Medallions 2-E
1980 Ben Hogan Special SI Sand Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postdpark, on 10 February 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Curious what courses you guys play that are open when the temps are below 32*. If it is below freezing, my course does not open because of fear of damaging the greens.

As long as the course is open, I'll play everytime. It was in the upper 30s today and it was just fine. Modern golf gear is so good at keeping in warmth without bulk the only challenge is keeping your hands warm. I don't like winter gloves (no feel) so when it is in the 30s, I'll pop 2 pocket warmers into both pants pockets and keep my hands in there between shots and it works just fine.

The place I play at is open everyday of the year except for Christmas and New Years days. I'm sure they'd let me play in a foot of snow if I wanted.

Edited by Rock Chalk Jayhawk, 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#93 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

I am pretty much a softy to put I nicely. Living in Az will do that to you. I try not to play when it gets much below 55. Then again I am happy to play when that temp doubles in the summer

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 10 February 2013 - 02:00 AM.

9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill

#94 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48895
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Here in NJ, as long as there is no snow or ice, most public courses stay open regardless of temperature.

#95 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:11.4
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

no such thing as too cold, just wrong clothes

#96 TomMorgan51

TomMorgan51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189578
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

The cold doesn't really bother me that much. I walk all the time and always being on the move helps stay warm and once I'm out in it, I usually adjust pretty quickly. If I can keep my head and hands warm then I don't see a problem playing in the mid to high 20s. I will say that if the wind is gusting 20+ mph while it being below freezing, I start to lose focus pretty quickly. I however like the challenge of dealing with the high winds whenever I get the chance. It forces you to be a smarter player and execute a wider variety of shots IMHO.

#97 tityman

tityman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119470
  • Ebay ID:markross001us
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I played today in a suburb of Chicago.  29 degrees with wind chill about 15 degrees.  The ground was frozen and couldn't put a tee in the ground so I moved up a tee box and played fairway metal or iron off the ground.  I had a good time and saw the coarse very differently.

I pulled my first approach shot left and when I hit a high wedge shot into the middle of green it bounced like I hit the cart path!  😳

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors