Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How cold is too cold for you?

96 replies to this topic

#1 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I am playing in a tournament tomorrow with my dad and a couple of other guys. The weather forecast is for mid 30s and sun when we tee off, warming up to a high of 50 by mid afternoon.   My dad and one of the other guys are thinking about not playing because of the weather.

This got me thinking, what is the coldest weather that you would play golf in?

So far this year, I have played in 25 degree weather with a wind chill of 8, but I am a bit golf obsessed.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I dont play below 40 degrees, ground just gets too hard in Ohio.  With my SS I'd snap a club in the dead of winter.

#3 diabolo

diabolo

Pilam oculis capta

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99939
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Likewise, anything under 40F and I'm not playing.
Ping G30 10.5 w/Motore Speeder VC 6.2TS
TEE CB3 3/15, UST TourSPX VTS Silver 6S
Bridgy J40 3H, UST TourSPX VTS 75HS
Bridgy J40 CB 4-PW, Recoil Proto 110 F4
Bettinardi BB5 TS 34"
Scor 50/54/58, DG Spinner

#4 bhj83

bhj83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180138
  • Handicap:9.0
  • Ebay ID:jamisonhp02
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I am playing in a tournament tomorrow with my dad and a couple of other guys. The weather forecast is for mid 30s and sun when we tee off, warming up to a high of 50 by mid afternoon.   My dad and one of the other guys are thinking about not playing because of the weather.

So far this year, I have played in 25 degree weather with a wind chill of 8, but I am a bit golf obsessed.

I think the coldest I've played this year is around 30 with around 10 MPH wind and it wasn't bad. As long as the wind isn't going 20+ MPH and there's no snow on the ground, I will be out there if I have the free time! Are you playing tomorrow in Olathe? I live up north near Tiffany Greens and we still have snow on the ground that definitely won't be melted by tomorrow.

#5 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

If I have to wear gloves while I'm not hitting a shot, it's too cold to play.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

#6 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1794

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

35* is my cut off temp...anything below, the ground Is too hard for my back to handle.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#7 kschneid

kschneid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221193
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Depends on the time of year for me I guess. If it's in the fall, i'm usually not as desperate to play, so depending on the wind I'll play down to the mid 30s. Once wind chill gets it below 30, i'm not playing. In the spring, i'm just pumped to get out and swing my sticks. So if there's no snow, i'm in my back yard swinging and hitting wedge shots. Once the course is open, I pretty much will play whenever I can regardless of weather. Living in Minnesota, the winters get long, so when you can finally play, you just play and be happy.

#8 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

View Postbhj83, on 01 February 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I think the coldest I've played this year is around 30 with around 10 MPH wind and it wasn't bad. As long as the wind isn't going 20+ MPH and there's no snow on the ground, I will be out there if I have the free time! Are you playing tomorrow in Olathe? I live up north near Tiffany Greens and we still have snow on the ground that definitely won't be melted by tomorrow.

I agree. As long as the wind isn't blowing hard, you can play in 30 deg weather pretty easily. Once you get wind above 15 MPH and temps below 30, it gets pretty cold.

The snow isn't expected to melt off until late afternoon or even Sunday in Olathe.  I am playing in a tournament in Newton tomorrow.

#9 bhj83

bhj83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

I agree. As long as the wind isn't blowing hard, you can play in 30 deg weather pretty easily. Once you get wind above 15 MPH and temps below 30, it gets pretty cold.

The snow isn't expected to melt off until late afternoon or even Sunday in Olathe.  I am playing in a tournament in Newton tomorrow.

Well crap...I was hoping you'd say that you guys didn't get much snow down there and I would head to Prairie Highlands on Sunday!

#10 Slackattack

Slackattack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30992
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Depending on how desperate I am to play, I typically want the afternoon high to be at least 40.  Also, if its windy, that's a different story.  If its windy I'd like for the daytime high to be at least 50.  Any colder than that and my hands get so cold it is pretty much useless.

I have actually played while snow was falling, but I was in high school at the time and all I did was play golf.  Not sure I would do that again.

Also, for what its worth, I live in the Upstate of South Carolina so I'm not really in that cold of an environment relative to those up north.

Edited by Slackattack, 01 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Aces-6

Aces-6

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48038
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have a pretty strict 45 degree rule. If it's below 45 I'll find something else to do.

#12 Craglyboy

Craglyboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190252
  • Ebay ID:Craglyboy
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Being a Brit only work in Celsius but I don't like playing anything less than 10 degrees really, it's always windy so not much fun lower than that.

#13 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

View Postbhj83, on 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well crap...I was hoping you'd say that you guys didn't get much snow down there and I would head to Prairie Highlands on Sunday!

Just looked outside, snow has melted away quite a bit. I'd call Prairie Highland if I were you and confirm course conditions.

#14 bhj83

bhj83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 01 February 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postbhj83, on 01 February 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Just looked outside, snow has melted away quite a bit. I'd call Prairie Highland if I were you and confirm course conditions.

Thanks! I will keep my fingers crossed for Sunday!

#15 dmalli

dmalli

Puma Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194114
  • Ebay ID:dmalli7
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Coldest Ive golfed is 29*. I just started the mid of last summer so I tried to get as many rounds in as possible. As long as the course is open and I have spare time, Im going. Lol.

#16 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48895
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm working tomorrow as a starter, tonight has a low of 18, tomorrow a high of 31 with 20-30 mph winds, as of right now we have 112 people booked starting at 8:00 a.m.. First person that says" man, its really cold out here"  gets a size 13 EEEE in their butt! LOL

#17 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'll play in the 30's if the wind isn't blowing.  When it's windy I need it to be above 40 for sure.
Cobra Bio Cell + 9.5* Red Tie S 45"
Cobra Bio Cell + 3/4 (13.5) Diamana D+ 72 S
TM UDI 2-iron, DG XP S300
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 60 WS DG S300 +1"
Bettinardi BB5, 35.5" SS Claw Grip

#18 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 826

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Postmesquite2, on 01 February 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm working tomorrow as a starter, tonight has a low of 18, tomorrow a high of 31 with 20-30 mph winds, as of right now we have 112 people booked starting at 8:00 a.m.. First person that says" man, its really cold out here"  gets a size 13 EEEE in their butt! LOL

Where is the course? Around here, the supers worry about frosted/frozen greens.

side note: that's one wide foot.

#19 poops

poops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121309
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

If it's above 32* and sunny, I'm playing.

#20 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48895
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

hateto3putt, this is in central NJ, (Mercer Oaks),we don't allow play on frost, but frozen is OK. The entire course will be frozen tomorrow, to me, its not really golf, but these people always tell me there's nothing else to do, so we're here.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Josh L.

Josh L.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216403
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Played in a light snow shower in the beginning of December, I think it was about 35°.

#22 msiedel

msiedel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71682
  • Ebay ID:nascar-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm like most and around 45. Anything colder is just not fun.

#23 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

anything below 45 degrees.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#24 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 950

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think Canadians will easily win this one

19* F is my best guess  (-7*C) with the windchill

Had to turn the sprinklers on the greens to get rid of 3" of snow.  It was a big money scramble and we had to play after all the calcutta wagering the night before

I've actually played on what felt like colder days.  Put the temp at 33 and throw in 40 mph winds winds from the North and toss in rain/hail/sleet mix..  I have done that in a 7 hr round before .. brrrr
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#25 Aces-6

Aces-6

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48038
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 01 February 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I think Canadians will easily win this one

19* F is my best guess  (-7*C) with the windchill

Had to turn the sprinklers on the greens to get rid of 3" of snow.  It was a big money scramble and we had to play after all the calcutta wagering the night before

I've actually played on what felt like colder days.  Put the temp at 33 and throw in 40 mph winds winds from the North and toss in rain/hail/sleet mix..  I have done that in a 7 hr round before .. brrrr

Holy crap!!! I would rather sandpaper the posterior of a Badger in a phone booth than play golf in that kind of weather.

#26 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Played in -3*C at one point this winter! Was pretty cold through afterwards!

#27 Cobras7

Cobras7

Golf Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170286
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Maybe California has spoiled me...I don't want to play if its below 40. But if its a tournament I may make exceptions as long as it warms up. This weekend my low is 37 and high of 64 but it should be about 40 when I tee off. Lets hope it's warmer!!

#28 DFinch

DFinch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

2 hour frost delay, freezing fog. 28 degrees on arrival and 32 at tee off. 75 yard visibility.  Didn't lose a ball.

Played in my snowboarding pants.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* Fuji 7.3
Callaway XHot 3Deep/5Deep
TM SLDR irons 4-AW
TM RAC Z TP 54*/60*
Odyssey #7 Versa Tank 38"
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DFinch

#29 BrooklynGolfer

BrooklynGolfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131312
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

35 degrees is my limit.  As long as when I hit the green (it does happen every now and then :swoon:), it stays there and doesn't bounce up like it just hit the cart path....I'm playing!

#30 Beatupfender

Beatupfender

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146717
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm in Quebec. I don't have a temperature limit. I have a snow accumulation limit. I'll play dressed like Nanuk of the North if I can find a course that has a bare patch. On the other hand, there are days I won't play because it's too hot...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors