Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

anyone else glad the 5 finger shoe is dead

54 replies to this topic

#1 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

i work with alot of guys that were wearing these things while in the gym. i thought they looked pretty silly. the newer thin soled shoes i still think are a little silly but not nearly as bad as the 5 finger shoes.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mountaineer

Mountaineer

APP-UH-LA-CHUN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203205
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I am! But they are hanging on a thread, not quite eradicated yet... My big pet peeve was running cross country in high school (2 years ago) and passing people wearing vibrams who were heel striking like mad! The whole theory behind using them to run in is to promote a fluid, natural forefoot strike. Heel striking with thin sheets of rubber on your feet will only wreck your achilles and will most likely lead to stress fractures if you run in those things for a long span of time.

/endrant
Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#3 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thought they were the dumbest things to drop since crocs. I'll be glad to see them go.

#4 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

It's funny, the couple guys I know who run with these swear by them.  They say they run faster, and feel better afterwards.

I think they are runnings equivalent to iron head covers personally.  I could never use them to enhance my performance, but the deer antler spray, well maybe...
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#5 chirotennis

chirotennis

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

You must hate the fact that they are pushing one of their shoes for golf use right now!

I love mine by the way...  Look miserable, but they are really comfortable and wouldn't work out in anything else!

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

#6 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 1418

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

For some reason, I've never worn shoes on my hands-weird that way I guess...

#7 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193176
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

If you have never worn them... Shhhh
S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink)                 Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x)                 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex)                 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour)                 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper)                 PING Redwood black satin D66

#8 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

View Postchirotennis, on 31 January 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

You must hate the fact that they are pushing one of their shoes for golf use right now!

I love mine by the way...  Look miserable, but they are really comfortable and wouldn't work out in anything else!

Bet it would feel great stubbing a toe or having a weight drop on one wearing those puppies.

#9 golfballz

golfballz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138055
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostPedronNiall, on 31 January 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Bet it would feel great stubbing a toe or having a weight drop on one wearing those puppies.

Dont get me wrong, the shoes are horrible (IMO).... but exactly what kind of tennis shoe do you wear that would have ANY more protection if a weigh tfell on your foot?  OHHH- you must be working out in steel toed boots, nevermind. ha!

Edited by golfballz, 01 February 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#10 BENNYSUPREME

BENNYSUPREME

Major Winner

• 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37544
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

I would still wear if I didn't run three plus miles almost every day.   I'm to the point now, that at mile 4 or 5 my feet go num  and I have to stop.  No more 6 to 10 milers.  I have to have custom inserts due to it.  Alot of guys in the gym here still wear them.  I'm still one of them (on leg days) along with about 30 guys and about 15 or so gals I see throughout the week.

Adams Tour LS 9.5(10.5*) w/DI6x
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-PW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 converter
52*/56*/60* 2 Dot Cleveland Reg 588 CBs
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

yeah i think alot of ppl running in them were probably doing much more harm than good to themselves. the exposure of the mexican tribe tumahara(those barefoot runers) probably did wonders for sales as well. other than them looking plain ridiculous i really have no issues with them. if they were so great we would see them on all feet of the top runners. i guess if the shoes are getting ppl in the gym and exercising they have some value. dunno about your gyms but seems like olympic lifts are becoming more en vouge and crossfit is phasing out.

#12 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

they definately are not dead.  I do a lot of boxing training and surprisingly enough quite a few of the trainers (MMA guys generally) and people who also train wear them.

They also released a golf shoe this year.

The thing about them is that they were created for barefoot runners.  Not for everyone to wear.  A lot of people bought into the fad of them who were not trained to be actual barefoot runners.  You have to have a very specific running form and cadence to properly wear and run in them without doing damage to your legs/joints.

I never wore the toe shoes, but,  I have run in Vivbarefoot shoes which provide the same effect.  I found for my running style, Nike Frees seem to be best the fit which provide minimal joint pain (this is after wearing numerous different brands/styles of shoes that were fit for me).  I still wear vivobarefoot golf shoes and vivobarefoot tennis shoes when Im just around town.

With that said they are not dead.  They have not gone away.  Just the people who the shoes were designed for are wearing them as opposed to you average 175lb lady who has never run a day in her life.
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#13 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I rather like my silly thin soled zero drop shoes....  I have a weird bent/hammerhead pointer (2nd toe??).. never thought my toes would fit well in vibrams so I never tried.

#14 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

They look ridiculous, and coincidentally my wife wanted a pair...for golfing. A piece of me died.
Every time I see them, I'm reminded of Dr. Suess.
-D

#15 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postgolfballz, on 01 February 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

View PostPedronNiall, on 31 January 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Dont get me wrong, the shoes are horrible (IMO).... but exactly what kind of tennis shoe do you wear that would have ANY more protection if a weigh tfell on your foot?  OHHH- you must be working out in steel toed boots, nevermind. ha!

I can assure you that having a standard tennis shoe, cross trainer, etc covering your toes vs having each exposed the way these things expose them will make for a much better day in the case of an accident. It's not worth the time to run an actual experiment on, but the rubber and potential stiffer toe area on a standard shoe will distribute any force much more effectively. I've had my foot run over more than once while in a standard shoe and suffered no damage; I wouldn't be caught dead in the same situation in those things.

#16 batgeek29

batgeek29

Pancit and lumpia!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183860
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

sadly you are incorrect. trust me.

#17 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Broken pinky toes were the easiest result from a quick search, including one guy who broke his when his daughter stopped short and he caught the back of her boot; somehow I doubt it would have gone down that way in a classic style shoe. Broken toes in the gym weren't too hard to find either. Having your toes separated that way with no additional support offers less protection and distributive ability than a cross trainer or something with raised sole.

#18 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

They look really dumb.  And I don't know if i'm the only one, but my second toe is longer than my big toe.  Therefore, I tried them on and couldn't even get my foot in them.  Dumbest shoe ever designed.

#19 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I got a pair of Vivo Barefoot Hybrids cheap... they aren't the five finger, but they are close... I'm curious to play a round in them.

#20 batgeek29

batgeek29

Pancit and lumpia!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183860
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostPedronNiall, on 01 February 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Broken pinky toes were the easiest result from a quick search, including one guy who broke his when his daughter stopped short and he caught the back of her boot; somehow I doubt it would have gone down that way in a classic style shoe. Broken toes in the gym weren't too hard to find either. Having your toes separated that way with no additional support offers less protection and distributive ability than a cross trainer or something with raised sole.

i'm a volunteer EMT. i've been to calls where weights were dropped on feet. regular shoe, Vibram Five Finger. damage was same. a 55lb weight doesn't give 2 shakes at what kind of shoe you are wearing.

but you don't need to take my word for it. everything is true that you find on the internet, even your opinion.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Post+Church, on 02 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

They look really dumb.  And I don't know if i'm the only one, but my second toe is longer than my big toe.  Therefore, I tried them on and couldn't even get my foot in them.  Dumbest shoe ever designed.

People who hate these shoes because of the look clearly have no idea what the purpose of the shoe is.

If you couldn't get your foot in the shoe you probably tried on the wrong size... Moron
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400

#22 +Church

+Church

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 02 February 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

View Post+Church, on 02 February 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

People who hate these shoes because of the look clearly have no idea what the purpose of the shoe is.

If you couldn't get your foot in the shoe you probably tried on the wrong size... Moron
Ok internet tough guy... I was just giving my opinion, and my perspective because I could never fit into a pair.  Like I said, my second toe is longer than my big toe.  They don't fit me.  But good job at showing your masculinity by calling me a name over the internet.
Capture.JPG

#23 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, you measure your shoe size using your longest toe.  Step up a half size.  This has been a documented concern with VFF's.  The CEO of Vibram even has Morton's toe and he wears them.  Like I said, you didn't try on the right size.
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400

#24 Mschumacher

Mschumacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146903
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

I have a pair of vibrams. Don't hate until you try.  Only thing I hate is that sometimes it takes a while to get them on.

I like the idea behind them.  Humans have been wearing shoes for only short while

#25 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

They just look Hippie, trashy. Like Crocs, which should belong indoors and not on a golf course.

Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#26 irishiain

irishiain

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55014
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

They do look weird but once you get used to them  they're crazy comfortable. I wore my pair in a corn maze last fall, we were in there for 4 or so hours walking on hard baked earth the whole time. No pain, no blisters or anything.

#27 hammy1983

hammy1983

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114916
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I hated them and then I bought the adidas and wow... those are amazing.  ugly as sin though.
its ok mutant toe, like silverbullet said there is hope for those with alien toes.

#28 mrgolf147

mrgolf147

• 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49302
  • Handicap:+1.1
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf147
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I got on a huge fitness kick three years ago, I was running 20-25 miles a week in sneakers and I had shin splints like you wouldn't believe.  Picked up a pair of Vibrams and changed my running style (gradually, mind you) and couldn't believe the transformation in my legs.  I could run farther, faster, for longer and no shin splints anymore.  I noticed my calves got much more toned (not my intention).  

I stopped running after about 6 months and instead worked with a TPI trainer in a golf-specific routine, wearing the vibrams 100% of the time in the gym.  My trainer suggested that the shoes are better for your proprioception and balance and I have to agree.  It was a lot harder to maintain my balance (initially) doing certain exercises when barefoot versus wearing sneakers.  Now I always work out barefoot or in vibrams.

I have worn my vibrams on the course several times and really like the feel.  I have a much better sense of balance and where my weight is in my swing when I'm barefoot - so I frequently hit balls barefoot, and occasionally still play barefoot.  I switched to the Adidas Puremotions towards the end of last year and found the feelings pretty similar.  That being said, I do intend on picking up a pair of the Speed XC Lite's for golf this year to give them a shot.  Not only do I enjoy the feel of them when playing, but it's a lot easier to read greens with your feet the less of a sole your shoes have.  Sure the Aimpointers out there will agree.

I wasn't under any impression that the five finger shoe is dead...

#29 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193176
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Who plans on dropping a weight on their feet in the first place? Wearing 5 fingers for the first time was like wearing under Armour for the first time... Amazing. Don't knock them til you've tried them. Otherwise, you know nothing except that you don't like the way they look. Some people might not like the way YOU look either, but you can win them over
S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink)                 Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x)                 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex)                 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour)                 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper)                 PING Redwood black satin D66

#30 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

i have judged them and apparently so has the american public and they were just a fade. the percentage of folks walking around the gym in those as decreased exponentially in the past couple of years. so apparently for all the "believers" they didnt quite work out as planned. oh and dorks who walk around the gym in under armor are well, just that. they probably scream and grunt on every exercise and make sure everyone in the gym knows they are "throwing some serious pies" around the gym. same dudes that slam weights and need 4 shots of jac3d/1mr/no explode to wake up in the morning.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors