Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Problem Re-shafting a Second Time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimragain

jimragain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219073
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I have no problem removing original shafts, even the "moderns" - Wood Bros, Pennas, Clevelands.  I cut the shaft off about 5 inches above the hosel, put a copper rod into the bore-thru end, and alternatively heat the shaft on the hosel end and the copper rod on the bore-thru end.  The heads slide right off.  

However, after re-shafting a club with Golfworks shafting epoxy, my method does not work.  The heads never break loose.  Several times I have heated the shaft to the point where it just falls apart from being so hot.

Any body know what I'm doing wrong?  Suggestions?  Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Epoxy is much stronger now than when vintage clubs were put together. You will probably need to treat it like a graphite head and use a shaft puller and heat gun.
Hopefully you have not taken off too much shaft to use an extractor.
Slow and patience is the key

#3 jimragain

jimragain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219073
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostMaxwell, on 01 February 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Sometimes, if the "back screw" can not be "backed out" it must be drilled out. I try to remember to tap the remaining threaded portion of the backscrew "still in the head" in or down about 3/32". The idea is to tap "using a 1/8" punch"  the remainder of the screw in/down far enough to allow the club head to turn AND not to score the shaft. If I don't, the remainder of the  back screw will still be obstructing the shaft and not allow the club head to turn and be removed. After you get the club head off, you still can drill out the remainder of the back screw. That process is outlined in the Redbook. Max

Huh?  This thread has nothing to do with backscrews.  My inquiry is how to break the bond created by modern epoxies.

#4 robert horneman

robert horneman

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108779
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Removing a graphite shaft from a wooden head can be a very difficult procedure.
Most epoxy breaks down around 250 degrees.
Use a torch to heat a 1/8" steel rod, red hot , wait 5 secs., insert the rod for 10 secs. pull the rod, and with the shaft clamped in your vise pull the head STRAIGHT off.
You may need to do this several times. Patience is required here.
Another option is to drill the shaft out. This is also difficult because you have to drill perfectly straight.

Hopefully once a graphite shaft is installed in a wooden head it is permanent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors