Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PGA Tour practice rounds and laser range finders?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hazlo

Hazlo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120689
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I know that PGA tour players and their caddy's can use range finders when they are playing a practice round.

I would assume that the flags that are in the holes during a practice round all have the prisms to aid the range finder in picking up the flag quickly.

When I watch the actual event I have tried to see the prism but I can't see them.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge that flags with prisms are used during practice rounds then switched out for official rounds?

Of course the use of range finders is illegal during the actual tournament round.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tdogg21

tdogg21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165253
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Honestly, I don't know this answer for sure.  However, I'm pretty sure they do not change the flags between the practice round and the tourney round.  So either the prisms aren't there during the practice round, or they leave them there.  My guess, if they leave them, it would be for assisting in TV coverage needs.

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I don't know for sure either but I do know that the rangefinders they use don't need prisms to get accurate or relatively fast measurements (most don't now - and practice rounds are far from 'fast' in the first place so I doubt that's an issue either).  So I would doubt that the course or USGA course set-up team would do anything special to add them during the practice rounds.

Edited by Stuart G., 31 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#4 birdman72

birdman72

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12517
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

When I caddied in the pro-ams for the Waste Management and the Frye's a few years ago they did not use flags with prisms. The last time I caddied was 2009 so things may have changed since then.

#5 outlawmichigan

outlawmichigan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76847
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I just spoke to a buddy playing the Canadian Tour and he said whether or not they have prisms depends on the course...some do and some don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors