Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Streamsong Experience (RESORT OVERVIEW, less about courses themselves)

Streamsong

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brownm

brownm

x-ray doc

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25640
  • Ebay ID:mhbst8
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Here is how we set up our trip to Streamsong. Back in August I found a lot of great press about this new resort opening in Florida, and recruited my brother and two other friends for a trip in January.

Through email exchanges and a few phone calls with the Streamsong sales staff, mainly dealing with Kevin Probst, I set up a trip for three days, two nights, staying in two of the 'two queenbed' rooms in the clubhouse (as the hotel won't open until late 2013). Through the next four months, I confirmed the tee times and accommodation arrangements multiple times and we each paid a $300 deposit to confirm the reservation. Total would have been in the $900 range for the whole trip.

Our plan was to arrive on a Sunday afternoon and play a round. We would follow this with 36 on monday, then finish with18 more on Tuesday. We would alternate courses so we didn't play the same course back to back.

Well, the best laid plans sometimes don't workout quite as you had planned. As it turns out, Tom Doak and his Renaissance group bought out the resort for the period we were scheduled to be there. That meant we had to rearrange our tee times, which the director of golf Scott Wilson was instrumental in doing.

Then, a week before arrival, we were informed that our reservations in the clubhouse guest rooms could not be honored because of the Renaissance golf group. Alternate arrangements were made in Lakeland for us, 30 miles north. Not exactly the trip we had figured on.

HOWEVER, this is the point where things took a turn for the better. I admit, I had to pitch a royal fit over the phone. I was upset that the resort had no problem taking my deposit money 4 months earlier, and making me sign a contract stating that any changes or Cancellation we made would result in potential penalties or loss of deposit, then making last minute changes with no concessions to our group.
Scott and Kevin stepped up to the plate to make things right, essentially comping THE WHOLE TRIP - GOLF AND HOTEL!

Now keep in mind, they didn't refund the $300 deposit to any of us, but we didn't pay anything additional for Golf or hotel throughout our trip. And we had to drive 45 minutes each way from the Terrace Hotel in Lakeland (which incidentally was a very nice hotel and a good alternative if you can't get a room at the resort, but not the same as staying onsite). I thought this was an appropriate concession on the resort's part given what they had done to our plans. I applaud the resort for recognizing their mistake and working to correct it as I think any high end golf Resort would have done.

Now, the golf reviews are everywhere and i will say both courses are exceptional. We preferred the red, mainly due to a better topography and routing, but both were great and a lot of fun to play.
The pro shop is adequate, with a nice variety of branded merchandise. Reasonable resort pricing, but ball markers and other small items were bargains as souvenirs.

The restaurant is a bit pricey, but overall food quality was excellent. Lunch menu had some great items, chicken salad and grouper sandwich were our favorites. At dinner, the main menu resembles a fine steakhouse with similar prices (50-60 dollars for a nice steak). But there are several sandwiches and smaller items available as well, at the lunch time prices of 15-20 dollars per entrée. There are six or seven beers on tap, and a variety of mixed drinks on their bar menu.

While food and drink were good, the service was slow. I attribute this to the fact that this weekend was their first truly busy time since the soft opening, and this served as the hard opening and ribbon cutting. I got the feeling that many of the employees were there to handle the crowds, and may not have been the normal staff. Service did improve over the time we were there, especially as the crowds lessened.

Overall, I think streamsong will grow into a very high quality golf destination. Once the hotel opens and the hotel takes over management of the clubhouse accommodations, I think the problems of overbooking will stop. Additionally, the golf staff is excellent and just need some time to learn their system. The staff is helpful and courteous, and will only get better. I would encourage everyone to go to Streamsong and experience it for yourself. It is in a remote location, but unlike Bandon Dunes and Cabot Links, it is easy to get there via major airports in Tampa and Orlando. In fact, it is such an easy drive that it is possible to play the day you arrive,which is difficult if not impossible at Bandon in my opinion.
I am already planning my return trip, paying full boat this time!

Edited by brownm, 31 January 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 2putttom

2putttom

American born Aussie at heart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Nice write up. Typical stumbling blocks for the properties start up. I am looking forward to a late fall trip to streamsong.
Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

#3 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Very classy for them to pay for the bulk of your trip . . . Sounds like a nice place.

Also tagged with Streamsong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors